HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What does the future hold for Bobrovski?

Old
06-29-2011, 09:23 PM
Balls Mahoney
The Tryamkin Era!!!

vCash: 500
What does the future hold for Bobrovski?

Just wondering what the future holds for Bobrovski. Haven't heard much about him since the end of the regular season. He quickly became one of my favorite players in the league with his story and unique style. I really thought he had the potential to be great and thought he played very well in a tumultuous first season. I'd be interested to hear anything you guys have to say about Bob.

Balls Mahoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 09:25 PM
laundryman

I'd love to keep him. He could learn a lot behind Bryzgalov and a few years down the line when Bryz starts to wear down, he could transition to the starting job.

laundryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 09:26 PM
Slowbro

traded for a pick

Slowbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 09:32 PM
tuckrr

I say keep him, his value can only go up
(Since behind bryz he will learn a lot, but more importantly play two years with no pressure!)

tuckrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 09:35 PM
Slowbro

he won't want to stay.. he is the kevin kolb of the flyers.

Slowbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 09:46 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by triqsix View Post
Except unlike Kolb, he hasnt stated about 100000 times how he wants to leave his team.

In the end, I see him staying one more year as a backup, getting some solid games in, and than getting traded right before the draft next year. Hopefully pairing a late first or 2nd. (depends on how he does this year)

sa cyred is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 09:56 PM
mikedifr

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
Except unlike Kolb, he hasnt stated about 100000 times how he wants to leave his team.

In the end, I see him staying one more year as a backup, getting some solid games in, and than getting traded right before the draft next year. Hopefully pairing a late first or 2nd. (depends on how he does this year)
I dont see that being smart if we get Stamkos, but if we dont and have some flexibility I would love for him to be the backup.

mikedifr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 10:16 PM
MsWoof

I think he's as good as gone. There is no point keeping him to play 20 games or less and paying him $1.5 million. Sucks because I really like him.

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 10:18 PM
Pantokrator
Who's the clown?

I think he'll be traded, but I don't think the return will be that great. I'd say no higher than a third round pick.

Pantokrator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 10:53 PM
o Hamhuis 2 x

Who is Bobrovski?

o Hamhuis 2 x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 10:58 PM
MsWoof

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantokrator View Post
I think he'll be traded, but I don't think the return will be that great. I'd say no higher than a third round pick.
That's what we got for Powe.

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 11:04 PM
Gibbs18

Quote:
Originally Posted by o Hamhuis 2 x View Post
Who is Bobrovski?
This.

Gibbs18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2011, 12:04 AM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedifr View Post
I dont see that being smart if we get Stamkos, but if we dont and have some flexibility I would love for him to be the backup.
My personal belief? I dont think we get Stamkos. Now I could be wrong, and we might even put in an offer, but I have Stamkos going back to TB.

Old
06-30-2011, 12:06 AM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantokrator View Post
Eh, 3rd round picks ussually never make the NHL. For a rookie goalie who hit 50+ games in his first season, I can see a team giving up a 2nd or late first.

Old
06-30-2011, 03:22 AM
GoldBlooded
Doop

Although I'll miss Boosh, I'd like to see Bob mature behind Bryzgalov and grow into a role.

GoldBlooded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2011, 06:19 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuckrr View Post
I say keep him, his value can only go up
(Since behind bryz he will learn a lot, but more importantly play two years with no pressure!)
This is so true. Normally a goalie that is playing 20 games per season as a backup sees a meteoric rise in their trade value.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2011, 08:32 AM
McNasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
This is so true. Normally a goalie that is playing 20 games per season as a backup sees a meteoric rise in their trade value.
Only on HF

McNasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2011, 09:14 AM
PhilaFlyers

vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by triqsix View Post
Bob will be a good starting goalie in the NHL though.

PhilaFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2011, 09:37 AM
Bort Sampson

If the Flyers trade him off for the lowest pick, I'd say it's just the trend of questionable ethics with players continuing under Holmgren. For a while I couldn't bring myself to support the organization. I could support the team and hockey in Philadelphia, but I didn't like the way the Flyers were being run.

They bring a kid to America and he backs them up the whole season. They prize him as their "diamond in the rough". He's never lived in America before, barely has family over here, but he loves the city. Fans love him, too. They throw him in the Christmas episode of Coatsey's Corner, for christ's sake. But he's a rookie, so obviously there's going to be a performance drop somewhere during the season.

Now, had the Flyers held on to Carter/Richards, and made another full-fledged run at the cup, it would have been asinine to expect them to place Bob in the starter role again and lean on him. He's still developing, that's clear. There's a lot to be fixed in his game, but the athleticism and drive seems to be there.

But that's not what happened. The Flyers went out and got the goalie they needed to really contend with the top teams. Then, they traded their captain and leading goal scorer to apparently shore up the future and some cap space.

These moves only strengthen the belief that Holmgren and Snider really had no strategy for the off-season, and in hindsight, they haven't for a while. They've had to trade off important pieces of former team's success ( i.e., Knuble, Umberger, Upshall, Lupul, Gagne) because they've made bad signings and handed out idiotic contracts. Given that they probably have no plan for Bob, or even a ****tily ill-conceived one, I'd say Bob either remains an undeveloped prospect or is dropped somehow next season.

And that fits in exactly with the stereotype of the organization: All the money with no proper use, questioning the legitimacy of the captaincy, trading key players, and not developing any goalie prospects. If we find out sometime soon that the Flyers mishandled Carter or Richards' injuries, or if they fire Lavi, the stereotype will be fulfilled.

Bort Sampson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2011, 09:45 AM
infidelappel*

He's gone, it's just a question of when.

Will it be before his ELC expires? Will he re-up for a couple more years despite being jammed behind a top-tier goalie a la Schneider?

One way or another, though, he gets moved for scraps before/as he enters his prime, unfortunately. I'm still pissed we gave up on him.

infidelappel* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2011, 10:12 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

vCash: 156
I think if the cap goes up enough next year, he stays.

06-30-2011, 10:37 AM
dingbathero
No Jam? How about PB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Agree

dingbathero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2011, 10:41 AM
Ghost of Downie*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Plus the bonus cushion will likely make a return.

Ghost of Downie* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2011, 10:53 AM
Pantokrator
Who's the clown?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
Eh, 3rd round picks ussually never make the NHL. For a rookie goalie who hit 50+ games in his first season, I can see a team giving up a 2nd or late first.
I think that there are many good backups out there with a shot at a starting role that it will drive his value down. Of all the "backup phenoms" he has the least amount of experience and therefore will fetch the least return.

Old
06-30-2011, 10:56 AM
Pantokrator
Who's the clown?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bort Sampson View Post

These moves only strengthen the belief that Holmgren and Snider really had no strategy for the off-season, and in hindsight, they haven't for a while. They've had to trade off important pieces of former team's success ( i.e., Knuble, Umberger, Upshall, Lupul, Gagne) because they've made bad signings and handed out idiotic contracts. Given that they probably have no plan for Bob, or even a ****tily ill-conceived one, I'd say Bob either remains an undeveloped prospect or is dropped somehow next season.

And that fits in exactly with the stereotype of the organization: All the money with no proper use, questioning the legitimacy of the captaincy, trading key players, and not developing any goalie prospects. If we find out sometime soon that the Flyers mishandled Carter or Richards' injuries, or if they fire Lavi, the stereotype will be fulfilled.

I pretty much agree. This team seriously lacks patience, and they have all the way back to the Lindros era, when coaches were fired for small let downs. I really don't like the way the team makes a signing or deal that puts them over the cap so that they have to remedy by trading away other players with little return. Holmgren seems to have no concept of maximizing value in his players, and he has no concept of cap flexibility.