HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Development Camp

Old
06-30-2011, 10:58 AM
Blazephr

vCash: 500
thenyrangers New York Rangers
Carl Hagelin tips hard Shane McColgan shot into cage...3-1 white
43 seconds ago

AGrossRecord Andrew Gross
Hagelin tips in McColgan's shot from right faceoff circle and White leads 3-1.
42 seconds ago

stevezipay Steve Zipay
McColgan slapper tipped in by Hagelin
1 minute ago

NYDNRangers Jesse Spector
Big McColgan slapper tipped in by Hagelin, who always seems to be in the right place.
2 minutes ago

Blazephr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2011, 11:00 AM
GAGLine

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinghenrik213 View Post
Is McIlrath still eligible for the 9 game stint?
If a player aged 18 or 19 plays 9 games or less in the NHL, it doesn't count as a season played against the player's ELC. McIlrath could play 9 games and then go back down and it wouldn't count against his ELC, but there's really no reason to do that with him. I don't think it would benefit him at this point in his career.

GAGLine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2011, 11:02 AM
TreeSapLlama

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGLine View Post
If a player aged 18 or 19 plays 9 games or less in the NHL, it doesn't count as a season played against the player's ELC. McIlrath could play 9 games and then go back down and it wouldn't count against his ELC, but there's really no reason to do that with him. I don't think it would benefit him at this point in his career.
I think preseason would be enough for him this year (plus traverse city). Save the 9 games for next year when he will be closer to making the big club.

TreeSapLlama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2011, 11:03 AM
Darrelle Lundqvist
Swagelin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazephr View Post
thenyrangers New York Rangers
Carl Hagelin tips hard Shane McColgan shot into cage...3-1 white
43 seconds ago

AGrossRecord Andrew Gross
Hagelin tips in McColgan's shot from right faceoff circle and White leads 3-1.
42 seconds ago

stevezipay Steve Zipay
McColgan slapper tipped in by Hagelin
1 minute ago

NYDNRangers Jesse Spector
Big McColgan slapper tipped in by Hagelin, who always seems to be in the right place.
2 minutes ago
I think McColgan could be a steal of the draft. I remember reading an article in THN two years ago before the 09 draft saying McColgan would be a top prospect in this years draft. IDK what happened, but he's a good bet to make the team in two years or so.

Darrelle Lundqvist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2011, 11:17 AM
Levitate

Quote:
I think McColgan could be a steal of the draft. I remember reading an article in THN two years ago before the 09 draft saying McColgan would be a top prospect in this years draft. IDK what happened, but he's a good bet to make the team in two years or so.
He's pretty small and struggled last year to up his scoring. Someone came on here and said he was sick/injured at the start of the season and turned it up after February, but there are obviously still question marks about whether he can produce offense consistently

regarding Thomas...there's a picture of him next to McIlrath and he doesn't look that small. I'm not so sure it'll be size that holds him back at the next level, but whether he can just translate his skills to the NHL

edit: Thomas standing next to McIlrath and Miller (who apparently never smiles)

So yeah he's obviously smaller, but I dunno, he doesn't look tiny or something.

Last edited by Levitate: 06-30-2011 at 11:22 AM.
Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2011, 11:17 AM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Traverse City tournament is going to be so exciting this year. Wish those A-holes would finally cover the tournament and air it on NHL Network.

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2011, 11:18 AM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
Do you think that there's any chance that the Rangers will give him a few games in the beginning of he season to see if he's ready. I mean if he's apparently the best player in camp, give him a shot right?
I fully expect him to see a few pre-season games, but I'd be surprised to see him play any regular season ones unless he really takes his game to a new level. He's improving for certain, but he still needs to fill out his frame and refine the skills that are going to make him an effective defender at the NHL level, and not just an enforcer on the blue line. The organization wants this kid to be Derian Hatcher, not Dale Purinton, so necessary development time is a must.

You can't read too much into this camp. He's a bigger and stronger than pretty much everyone on the ice, and many of these kids are never going to see NHL ice in their career. Wait until pro camp opens up and see if he can stick around for a couple preseason games. Then we can get a better feel for where he's at.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2011, 11:18 AM
Levitate

^^^ Well, the other thing to look for in this kind of camp is how he handles the puck, moves it, gets into position, etc (not that we can see all that but as an in general what you look for). things that him being bigger than everyone else doesn't really effect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
Traverse City tournament is going to be so exciting this year. Wish those A-holes would finally cover the tournament and air it on NHL Network.
It apparently costs a ton of money to setup the cameras and equipment and they don't get nearly enough viewers to make it worthwhile showing

Old
06-30-2011, 11:23 AM
GAGLine

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeSapLlama View Post
I think preseason would be enough for him this year (plus traverse city). Save the 9 games for next year when he will be closer to making the big club.
Next year it won't matter, unless we plan on having him play an overage year in the WHL. If he's in Hartford, a year will come off his ELC no matter how many NHL games he plays.

GAGLine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2011, 11:23 AM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Who's MacDougall? Hasn't he scored in two different scrimmages now?

Potential good add for HFD?

BrooklynRangersFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2011, 11:24 AM
Jumbo*
TARGET: ACQUIRED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
He's pretty small and struggled last year to up his scoring. Someone came on here and said he was sick/injured at the start of the season and turned it up after February, but there are obviously still question marks about whether he can produce offense consistently

regarding Thomas...there's a picture of him next to McIlrath and he doesn't look that small. I'm not so sure it'll be size that holds him back at the next level, but whether he can just translate his skills to the NHL
Not sure if that info is correct or not, it looks like he struggled at the end of the season, final 22 games of the season he only scored 2 goals, 14 assists, first half of the season is where he got most of his points.

But in the playoffs he was a complete beast scoring 8 goals and 11 assists in 10 games. I believe he was first in WHL scoring in the playoffs when his team got eliminated.

Jumbo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2011, 11:26 AM
Pizza

Miller's a serious dude. TCB.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2011, 11:28 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:

If McIlrath is 6'5", then Miller has to be around 6'3", based upon that photo.

jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2011, 11:31 AM
Levitate

Highlights from Wednesday scrimmage are up

http://blueshirtsunited.com/posts/55...ects-scrimmage

Old
06-30-2011, 11:32 AM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:

It apparently costs a ton of money to setup the cameras and equipment and they don't get nearly enough viewers to make it worthwhile showing
They should just set up a stationary camera and let us watch from a web feed!

Old
06-30-2011, 11:35 AM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Yeah, can't wait for Traverse City and training camp.

Very excited about this up and coming group.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2011, 11:37 AM
Jumbo*
TARGET: ACQUIRED

Quote:
Highlights from Wednesday scrimmage are up

http://blueshirtsunited.com/posts/55...ects-scrimmage
Nice goal by yogan. Didnt realize he was so big.

Jumbo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2011, 11:41 AM
TreeSapLlama

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
If McIlrath is 6'5", then Miller has to be around 6'3", based upon that photo.
Eh, I think because McIlrath is behind him it makes Miller look a bit bigger then he is. He is probably the 6'1 or 6'2 he is listed.

Old
06-30-2011, 11:45 AM
FultonReed
ew, you did what?

Quote:

McIlrath looks significantly more mature. and Thomas has good size (for a "small guy") he's rather solid.

FultonReed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2011, 11:50 AM
bobbop
Henrik's Pop

McColgan had tonsilitis at the start of the season and missed three weeks and then said he was weak afterwards. One of the traits I see in Gordie's drafting is focusing on what players accomplish in playoffs and tournaments. McColgan did it in playoffs and Miller did it in U18 worlds. Good, smart strategy to identify money players.

bobbop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2011, 11:53 AM
TreeSapLlama

It's not unheard of for someone his height to hit 200 pounds (Francis Bouillon) but I imagine that would impact his speed a lot. If he could hit 180 I wouldn't be the slightest bit worried for him in the NHL. He is surprisingly shifty already.

Old
06-30-2011, 11:54 AM
Levitate

Quote:
It's not unheard of for someone his height to hit 200 pounds (Francis Bouillon) but I imagine that would impact his speed a lot. If he could hit 180 I wouldn't be the slightest bit worried for him in the NHL. He is surprisingly shifty already.
Thomas? He said he put on 7-9 lbs this summer so he's probably somewhere around 173 now, judging from his draft weight numbers

Old
06-30-2011, 11:56 AM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Thomas? He said he put on 7-9 lbs this summer so he's probably somewhere around 173 now, judging from his draft weight numbers
Claude Giroux plays at 172 lbs but is 5'11!

Old
06-30-2011, 12:04 PM
ColonialsHockey10

Quote:
I don't think people realize how shifty Thomas is. It reminded me of Hagelin in his AHL stint. Defenseman couldn't lay a finger on him, he was too quick along the boards and in open ice.

ColonialsHockey10 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2011, 12:21 PM
frozenrubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbop View Post
McColgan had tonsilitis at the start of the season and missed three weeks and then said he was weak afterwards. One of the traits I see in Gordie's drafting is focusing on what players accomplish in playoffs and tournaments. McColgan did it in playoffs and Miller did it in U18 worlds. Good, smart strategy to identify money players.
Unless you are drafting a goalie in the 1st round...

*in Clark's defense, he didn't draft Montoya*

frozenrubber is offline   Reply With Quote