HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jagr's Agent Contacts Rangers (Signs with Philly | 1 yr @ $3.3MM)

Old
06-29-2011, 09:37 PM
RangerFan10

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
Quote:
Originally Posted by devito1192 View Post
Jagr might break down and what? A young rookie can't? For 2 mil I will take that chance. And again what hhe did during the season is obselete when he was the best player in the playoffs in the league
If you think he's going to take over playoff games the way he did, you're fooling yourself.

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 09:40 PM
Darrelle Lundqvist
Swagelin

I'm pretty sure the Pens fans will all fall on a sword if Jagr doesn't sign with them.

Darrelle Lundqvist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 09:44 PM
RangerFan10

Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagr68NYR94Leetch View Post
Listen I buy into Torts and his system from the fan perspective. I believe in it; finding the right guys that fit the mold of this system. But at some point you need to mix in a few guys that flat out know how to produce the points. How many blue collar guys do you need? How many is it gona take it until you realize we NEED someone who has gifted hands. Yeah I love callahan and dubinsky. But if you're being realistic those two are 2nd line players at best in their careers. And there is nothing wrong with that. So you need 1st line type players. You have Gaborik. You're looking at Richards. You need more than just two.

I completely disagree with anyone who is against signing Jagr especially at that BARGAIN for a deal. We have Prust, Avery, Boyle, Callahan, Stepan, Dubinsky, AA, Wolski,and possibly Hagelin. All great blue collar guys, with some being able to produce more than others in that group, and some having great 2-way games, BUT they aren't 1st liners. And though Jagr may not be a 1st liner at this point in his career, he still has the hands of a 1st liner and that counts for a lot with an organization that has had severe problems scoring ESPECIALLY ON THE PP.
You can have "blue collar guys" that know how to score. You can have guys that fit into Tortarella's system that know how to score. You can have top line guys that fit into Tortarella's system, Brad Richards is a prime example. Jagr isn't. It's a toxic relationship in the making, which is why no one in management has made a drastic move to go get him at a "bargain" of a deal.

And there's a lot of assumptions involved in that, too. Who is to say he would sign with ANY other team for 1 year 2 million? That is simply the Penguins OFFER. The Rangers could have contacted him. Jagr may not have real interest to come here and the Rangers may know it.

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 09:53 PM
DubiDubiDoo

Send a message via AIM to DubiDubiDoo
For the people saying Jagr doesn't fit our system, and he doesn't fit our mentality, you need only watch replays of his career as a Ranger to see how hard this guy works.
Lets not forget Brendan Shanahan coming to his defense for having to play through guys draped all over him and he had to much heart to take a dive, he just fought, and fought and fought.

Too many are confusing a young cocky Jagr, with the mature leader he became...

Not saying he can carry us, but I dont see how Jagr doesnt make any team better instantly.

DubiDubiDoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2011, 12:11 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

i would take Jaromir Jagr @ 2 mil without a seconds hesitation.

you mean to tell me there are some ppl who think Wolski at nearly 4 mil is ok, but Jagr at 2 mil isn't?

seriously?

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2011, 12:13 AM
ecemleafs

jagr doesnt even have to be an average skater. just protect the puck and push his way to the net.

ecemleafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2011, 12:21 AM
ColonialsHockey10

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubiDubiDoo View Post
For the people saying Jagr doesn't fit our system, and he doesn't fit our mentality, you need only watch replays of his career as a Ranger to see how hard this guy works.
Lets not forget Brendan Shanahan coming to his defense for having to play through guys draped all over him and he had to much heart to take a dive, he just fought, and fought and fought.

Too many are confusing a young cocky Jagr, with the mature leader he became...

Not saying he can carry us, but I dont see how Jagr doesnt make any team better instantly.
This!

Jagr was an absolute warrior as a Ranger. His tenure here was easily amongst my favorite, and made me respect him much more then I originally thought I would have.

ColonialsHockey10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2011, 12:22 AM
nyranger61494
YNWA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post

you mean to tell me there are some ppl who think Wolski at nearly 4 mil is ok, but Jagr at 2 mil isn't?

seriously?
But Wolski is better in shootouts!

(Dripping with sarcasm)

nyranger61494 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2011, 01:58 AM
chip chipperson*

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerFan10 View Post
If you think he's going to take over playoff games the way he did, you're fooling yourself.
no i don't. the point about him playing like a monster in the playoffs was in regards to someone commenting that in the same year he had a bad regular season. dont put words in my mouth. thats something a fool would do.

chip chipperson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2011, 04:18 AM
Barnaby

I don't think Sather makes a legit offer, but I would ABSOLUTELY buy out Wolski and sign him. Play him next to Stepan on a 3rd line, and watch him be very good after team key on the top 2 lines. He never hould have left... the problem was what he felt he deserved and what the Rangers felt he deserved.

Edit: Damn KHL ... would love to see..

blank - Richards - Gabby
Dubinsky- Anisimov - Callahan
Feds/Avery - Stepan - Jagr
Feds/Avery - Boyle - Prust

It just creates so many match up problems..

... and so many young guys like Hagelin in the wings..

Last edited by Barnaby: 06-30-2011 at 04:26 AM.
Barnaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2011, 08:39 AM
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinghenrik213 View Post
I'm pretty sure the Pens fans will all fall on a sword if Jagr doesn't sign with them.
We're pretty edgy as it is due to this Jagr Watch.

Shrimper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2011, 09:43 AM
McIlrathsWrath

What does everyone think the crowd reaction will be to jags in a pens jersey? I would HATE to see him get boo'd upon his return to msg. But I'm pretty sure the majority will be cheering for him

McIlrathsWrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2011, 09:49 AM
trueblue9441

Send a message via AIM to trueblue9441
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEANbrAVERY View Post
What does everyone think the crowd reaction will be to jags in a pens jersey? I would HATE to see him get boo'd upon his return to msg. But I'm pretty sure the majority will be cheering for him
ill cheer first shift, but then i'll hate the commie ******* after that

trueblue9441 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2011, 09:49 AM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

I have no problem with Jagr going back to the Pens.... It's a good thing . And I hope he has a terrific season before he losses to the Rangers in the ECF

I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2011, 09:50 AM
N9Y4R
Bleed Blue

Quote:

seriously?
This sums it up.

BTW... Jagr was the best player at the World Championships this year.

N9Y4R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2011, 09:53 AM
DekeR

I woulde like the idea of Jagr playing with Step on a 3rd line scenario, that is golden.

DekeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2011, 10:03 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEANbrAVERY View Post
Better than the Pens fans' reaction to Jagr in a Ranger jersey.

jas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2011, 10:05 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:

seriously?

Me too...2nd line RW with Stepan...ideally for me -

Dubi/Richards/Gaborik
Boyle/Stepan/Jagr
Hagelin/AA/Callahan
Avery/Konopka/Prust

jas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2011, 11:02 AM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Saw a twitter post last night from one of the more reputable guys who reports on Russian hockey matters, that said Jagr's European agent was negotiating with Avangard Omsk.... So it appears his NHL return is not guaranteed.

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2011, 11:29 AM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:

seriously?
Actually, yes. I'm sure I'll catch some flak for this, but I don't want Jagr on this team. It's a new era for the Rangers, and with Drury getting the boot, we can finally turn this team over to the core we already have in place. Bringing in a guy who has that kind of presence would be a mistake. I can't for a second envision that Jagr is going to come back to the NHL just to be along for the ride. He almost certainly wants to play a significant role on the team he signs with.

While I think Wolski is far from an ideal fit, I think he's closer to what this team should be building from than JJ is. If -- and yes, that's a big IF -- he can find some consistency to his game, he's a 50 point player in the NHL or better for the next several years. You might get that kind of production from Jagr, but what good does it do if it's only for a year? At the end of the season, they both go away, so the difference in cap savings is negligible.

Point being, you need to keep looking towards the future. Be it one year, or even two years from now, you have to look at what you have and say: "That's the year we're going to make a real run at the cup." Jagr is too much nostalgia and not enough forward thinking. A team like the Pens has a real use for Jagr, as does Detroit. They're serious contenders, and he's a piece that could put them over the top. We're on the cusp of being competitive, but now is not the right time to be bringing on players like Jagr.

Just my 2 cents.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2011, 11:53 AM
94now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
Actually, yes. I'm sure I'll catch some flak for this, but I don't want Jagr on this team. It's a new era for the Rangers, and with Drury getting the boot, we can finally turn this team over to the core we already have in place. Bringing in a guy who has that kind of presence would be a mistake. I can't for a second envision that Jagr is going to come back to the NHL just to be along for the ride. He almost certainly wants to play a significant role on the team he signs with.

While I think Wolski is far from an ideal fit, I think he's closer to what this team should be building from than JJ is. If -- and yes, that's a big IF -- he can find some consistency to his game, he's a 50 point player in the NHL or better for the next several years. You might get that kind of production from Jagr, but what good does it do if it's only for a year? At the end of the season, they both go away, so the difference in cap savings is negligible.

Point being, you need to keep looking towards the future. Be it one year, or even two years from now, you have to look at what you have and say: "That's the year we're going to make a real run at the cup." Jagr is too much nostalgia and not enough forward thinking. A team like the Pens has a real use for Jagr, as does Detroit. They're serious contenders, and he's a piece that could put them over the top. We're on the cusp of being competitive, but now is not the right time to be bringing on players like Jagr.

Just my 2 cents.
This team is building nothing at worse and nothing special at best. Therefore, all you you have is to watch some artists this club brings in town from time to time. Jagr is just such.

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2011, 01:46 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

I find it pretty ridiculous that the Pens would demand a response by Wednesday even though UFA doesn't start til Friday. Sure, they would like to know so they can plan their UFA... er, game plan but it's ridiculous to me. demanding it and all. polite and professional request, ok. maybe it's just the media making more out of it and twisting words. I guess Jagr's agent can negotiate before July 1st because he didn't play in the NHL last season?

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2011, 01:49 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94now View Post
This team is building nothing at worse and nothing special at best. Therefore, all you you have is to watch some artists this club brings in town from time to time. Jagr is just such.
Forgive me if I don't buy into your eternal pessimism.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2011, 02:03 PM
Glennsoe
Horndog

He'd fit in just fine with our guys..

I'd love to see how he can elevate Stepan and mza's stats and play..

Glennsoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2011, 04:43 PM
JimmyStart*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post

Just my 2 cents.
There is not one team in this league that does not have at least one cheap or hell even an overly expensive contract that doesn't exactly fit the "team mold" including Boston, Detroit, pittsburgh, CHicago, well including ev ery team in the league. A jagr signing does not in any way shape or form change how our blueline plays, how Hank plays, how Dubs, cally, Prust, Stepan, Artie, etc, etc play.If he cant fit in his ass will be on the bench and he cant do any more than Kotalik or brashear did as malcontents. Our team is still young but it's old enough and tight enough not to be picked apart by a discontented veteran and if it's not then we aren't winning anything with or without jagr. Nobody is looking for Jagr to be anyhting more than the 2 mil he's been offered so far so no it's not nostalgia it's looking at a possible FA gift just like Frolov was l;ast year. Low risk high reward. This is still a building team and cheap try oput type options like prospal, feds, frolov, jagr are the way to go while our blueline and forwards continue to develop the way they have. I know it's just your two cents I just really disagree with it. You're entitled to your opinion I just don't think that being worried about chemistry with this signing is necassary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94now View Post
Building nothing? Maybe we need your definition of nothing then man b/c to me...when you get a team this young and injured that winds up making the playoffs last year that also has a great prospect pool (meaning the team is likely on ly going to get better)...well I'm sure you can put the two and two together.

Last edited by JimmyStart*: 06-30-2011 at 04:51 PM.
JimmyStart* is offline   Reply With Quote