HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

Acquisitions/Cap management/Roster Building Thread XVII

Closed Thread

Old
06-30-2011, 09:07 AM
IafrateOvie34

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwedeSpeedBackstrom View Post
One thing you have to know about Calgary fans is that they perpetually live in 2004

Iginla, Kipper, and Regehr (not anymore) are all as good and as 'young' as they were back then and they refuse to accept the fact that the Flames have one of the dimmest futures in hockey.

They overvalue everyone they have too, Kipper is not a good fit in Washington.
Agree!

Old
06-30-2011, 09:11 AM

kcarrera Katie Carrera
Veteran center Jason Arnott set to test the free agent market: http://wapo.st/ln5BUt #caps

Seems like Arnie is all but gone.

Old
06-30-2011, 09:14 AM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Good thing Arnott decided today. That leaves him 24 hours to skate to the ufa market; which should probably be enough time for him to get there.

Old
06-30-2011, 09:14 AM
BobRouse

Caps will prob go after a cheap vet goalie. If they are fine with Laich at center then a dman should be in their sights.

But probably need to trade Schultz to make it happen. We need Erskine in the lineup as he is our only real heavyweight (we know King won't play).

But if the Caps are smart they'd pursue Upshall. A player with some spunk, grit and some scoring touch.

Old
06-30-2011, 09:24 AM
Langway
Intangibles

I wouldn't expect much tomorrow. If they fully believe Poti to be done then maybe they sign a fairly reliable veteran defenseman but I'd expect more in the way of character depth than signings from the inflated mediocre cream. Signing someone like Upshall or Cole means a trade will need to drop at some point IMO.

Old
06-30-2011, 09:27 AM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by brs03 View Post
I think Kipper is better than his numbers, but not so much better that he's still a top 5 goalie or whatever. I think he'd look much better with a reasonable workload and a team that isn't awful. I wouldn't want his cap hit though.

EDIT: And, more directly, I think he'd put up better numbers than Neuvirth given a similar workload, I think he'd put up worse numbers than Varlamov but he'd be able to play probably twice as many games at that level. No idea how Holtby would do. I wouldn't be angry if the Caps ended up getting him, but I'm not asking for him at all.
Just out of curiosity, I looked up Calgary's shots against in his three bad years over the last four.

They were 18th, 13th, and 4th in the NHL in fewest shots against.

Yeah, Kipper blows.

Old
06-30-2011, 09:39 AM
ChibiPooky
Caps/Avs/Bills fan

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
Just out of curiosity, I looked up Calgary's shots against in his three bad years over the last four.

Yeah, Kipper blows.
I'm not impressed with Kiprusoff, but numbers definitely don't tell the whole story. Location and timing of shots matter too.

Old
06-30-2011, 09:46 AM
BobRouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post

Yeah, Kipper blows.
Well his best days are certainly behind him thats for sure. Makes too much.

He would be like Bill Ranford when he came to the Caps.

Old
06-30-2011, 09:47 AM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langway View Post
And the owner.
Yeah I was going to say that but Ted did over qualify his post wrt trades. End of day a lot of words stating nothing but obvious.

Old
06-30-2011, 09:48 AM
Foy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibiPooky View Post
I'm not impressed with Kiprusoff, but numbers definitely don't tell the whole story. Location and timing of shots matter too.
No, but they can be a very good indicator. Jim Carrey's #s were inflated because he played behind a team that gave up a ridiculously low # of shots, one of the most underrated defenses of all time.

Old
06-30-2011, 10:40 AM
C-A-P-S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millhaus View Post
Do people feel around the league that the DC market is thought of as one 'where hockey matters game in and game out?'

I don't. Yes there are enough fans to fill the building during these 'good' times but as a whole I don't think the market cares much about the Caps.
What I gleaned from that article is he wants to go to a perennial contender 1st and foremost.

That means in my estimation: Bos, Pitts, Phil, Wash, Det, Van, SJ and now you can throw TB in there.

All of these teams (sans maybe TB) fill the building every night. But I think you can basically take out Pitts, Det, Van, SJ and TB (presuming Stamkos is resigned) because of their depth up the middle. That leaves Bos, Phil and DC.

Now look he could just go to the highest bidder, but if you took the agent at his word DC fits the bill. Especially, when there is a young core of Ovy, Backs, Alzner, Carlson, Green, Laich, Neuvy, Kuz, etc...

And now Arnott's testing the market which leaves a gap at the 2C (sorry I don't buy that MaJo is ready for that spot)... I know its real slim but who knows he may come here and Semin may get shifted off. I'll take this forward lineup

Ovy-Backs-Knuble
Laich - Richards -Fehr
Brouwer - MaJo - Chimera
Sjogren - Gordon - Hendricks

Old
06-30-2011, 10:47 AM
BiPolar Caps
Emotionally Wounded!

Last year, the first few days of FA signing were mainly defensemen. Wonder if that will stay the trend this year.

Sign Scott Hannan and trade Jeff Schultz today, please!

Old
06-30-2011, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ref9 View Post
Last year, the first few days of FA signing were mainly defensemen. Wonder if that will stay the trend this year.

Sign Scott Hannan and trade Jeff Schultz today, please!
If Poti retires ... is that enough cap room alone to sign Hannan?

Old
06-30-2011, 10:54 AM
BiPolar Caps
Emotionally Wounded!

I would suspect Arnott's looking for term, say 2 years and probably at 2.4.

Old
06-30-2011, 10:55 AM
ChibiPooky
Caps/Avs/Bills fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-A-P-S View Post
What I gleaned from that article is he wants to go to a perennial contender 1st and foremost.

That means in my estimation: Bos, Pitts, Phil, Wash, Det, Van, SJ and now you can throw TB in there.

All of these teams (sans maybe TB) fill the building every night. But I think you can basically take out Pitts, Det, Van, SJ and TB (presuming Stamkos is resigned) because of their depth up the middle. That leaves Bos, Phil and DC.

Now look he could just go to the highest bidder, but if you took the agent at his word DC fits the bill. Especially, when there is a young core of Ovy, Backs, Alzner, Carlson, Green, Laich, Neuvy, Kuz, etc...

And now Arnott's testing the market which leaves a gap at the 2C (sorry I don't buy that MaJo is ready for that spot)... I know its real slim but who knows he may come here and Semin may get shifted off. I'll take this forward lineup

Ovy-Backs-Knuble
Laich - Richards -Fehr
Brouwer - MaJo - Chimera
Sjogren - Gordon - Hendricks
Forgot NYR. ANA, MTL, NSH, BUF, and now CBJ making what looks to be a push to contender status.

In order to sign Richards they'd have to move Semin or Green (or someone even more expensive...) and to me it's not worth it. I could see Semin gone, but it won't be to sign Richards.

What do people think about taking a cheap flyer on Tim Connolly if it's available? Healthy and playing well, he's a 2C...

Old
06-30-2011, 10:58 AM
BiPolar Caps
Emotionally Wounded!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 442 View Post
If Poti retires ... is that enough cap room alone to sign Hannan?
Cap geek has the current Cap space for the Caps at 8.9. Mind you Caps still need to address the RFA contracts of Brower and Alzner, but Poti's departure should add another 2.8 to the Cap space or about 11.7. That should allow for a resigning of Hannan.

Old
06-30-2011, 11:01 AM

I wonder how much his uncertainty will delay things, obviously we are waiting for 7/1 but still that's a HUGE variable.

Old
06-30-2011, 11:01 AM
BiPolar Caps
Emotionally Wounded!

Senior Moment

Old
06-30-2011, 11:07 AM
Langway
Intangibles

TSNBobMcKenzie: WSH's Tyler Sloan clears unconditional waivers. Can now be bought out.

Old
06-30-2011, 11:11 AM
Millhaus

I still think Richards goes back to Tampa, regardless of Stamkos staying or not. If he leaves, which I don't think will happen, there is a 100% chance Richards goes to Tampa though. That is also the only place I see him 'settling' for something around $6.5 mil per. For someone else it will be $1 mil per more.

Richards coming here is a pipe dream IMO.

Old
06-30-2011, 11:14 AM
ChibiPooky
Caps/Avs/Bills fan

Quote:
TSNBobMcKenzie: WSH's Tyler Sloan clears unconditional waivers. Can now be bought out.
According to CapGeek, this will cost the Caps $233,333 each of the next two seasons. Savings of almost $500k over his $700,000 salary.

But what are they waiting for? It's been 15 minutes already ffs.

Old
06-30-2011, 11:21 AM
BiPolar Caps
Emotionally Wounded!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millhaus View Post
I still think Richards goes back to Tampa, regardless of Stamkos staying or not. If he leaves, which I don't think will happen, there is a 100% chance Richards goes to Tampa though. That is also the only place I see him 'settling' for something around $6.5 mil per. For someone else it will be $1 mil per more.

Richards coming here is a pipe dream IMO.
It just leaves a bad taste in my mouth that he wasn't willing to waive his NTC so that the Stars could at least get a pick for him. Don't think I would like that type of player on the Caps.

TB has about 18 mil in cap space, so even if Philly offers Stamkos some big bucks and TB matches they should still be able to keep Stamkos and sign Richards for the 6.5, but after that TB won't have much left in cap space.

Old
06-30-2011, 11:22 AM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:

Old
Millhaus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibiPooky View Post
According to CapGeek, this will cost the Caps $233,333 each of the next two seasons. Savings of almost $500k over his $700,000 salary.

But what are they waiting for? It's been 15 minutes already ffs.
Why cost yourself $233k under the salary cap for 2 years when you are only saving $233 in total? I'd let him play in Hershey or loan him somewhere else, pay him $700k for 1 year, and not effect the salary cap at all.

Old
BiPolar Caps
Emotionally Wounded!

Quote:

Jeff Schultz is now on the clock!

Closed Thread