HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Gomez trade in the works? LEGIT SOURCES ONLY (Part II)

Closed Thread

Old
06-30-2011, 11:19 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

vCash: 725
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruski17 View Post
You MUST be right! Because there is no way that when asked by Michael Landsberg on OTR if he would still have signed a contract with the habs if Gomez wasn't acquired, Cammalleri took a long pause and said "I'm not sure..."

Because if that would have ever happened, then you would be the one to need to look up the word moron in the dictionary.

The Gomez trade was brutal, but it was a factor in bringing in Gionta and Cammalleri to the habs. If he would not have been traded for, the habs would have looked to be in rebuilding mode almost as they would not have any star players.
Sorry, but it's time to give hockey players some merit and intelligence. Tell me how the great Scott Gomez was able to a factor in having guys play for us while we were never able to bring anybody when Saku Koivu was in. You know, that Koivu, that warrior, worshiped by everybody INCLUDING BRUINS FANS (says a lot), who had all his battles, an example of what hard work and dedication is AND on top of that, a good playoff performer. Let say the Gomez don't work....does Koivu sticks around? Some say he wanted to go....some others say he would have but Gainey thought it was time to move.....But it was time 'cause Gainey thought Gomez was THE guy.

And by the way, the Habs would have been in rebuilding mode? Seriously? You think they would have let that happen? We would have tanked that year? Geez, so no Gomez, Gionta and Cammy (though Gionta didn't say that on OTR and his story about going back to Lamoriello with Habs offer is public knowledge...) would have meant one Tavares, Hedman or Duchesne....another reason to hate Gomez....as if I needed more.....

Old
06-30-2011, 11:21 AM
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou

vCash: 500
If the Gomez trade wouldn't have happened, Cammy and Gio would've looked at playing with Plekanec after a 39 pts season and Maxim Lapierre who was the default 2nd line center due to Koivu's departure.

They would've probably re-considered.

Old
06-30-2011, 11:24 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverAlone View Post
If the Gomez trade wouldn't have happened, Cammy and Gio would've looked at playing with Plekanec after a 39 pts season and Maxim Lapierre who was the default 2nd line center due to Koivu's departure.

The contracts that Cammalleri and Gionta got have nothing to do with Gomez being here for the last time, the money they got they weren't going to get anywhere else and that's why they signed here, not because of Scott Gomez!

Old
06-30-2011, 11:25 AM
Coldplay
Courage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
The contracts that Cammalleri and Gionta got have nothing to do with Gomez being here for the last time, the money they got they weren't going to get anywhere else and that's why they signed here, not because of Scott Gomez!
You're going to tell me that Cammalleri couldn't have gotten 6 million from anyone else after scoring 39 goals and being as young as he was/is?

Come on dude. Don't act like Cammy was lying either.

Old
06-30-2011, 11:27 AM
znk

Quote:
Originally Posted by habfan1968 View Post
Gainey decimates the core of a team that just could not get over the hump, brings in a load of proven playoff performers and we go to the final four. Success, what happens after that, we slide back a step due to key injuries and really were an overtime goal away form beating the eventual cup winners. The disdain for the Gomez deal knows no bounds in this forum, yet, it continues to provide success to our team.
Gomez has nothing to do with that success in fact his presence is holding us back. And please dont come and say Cams and Gionta would not have singed here without Gomez. They signed because of $6M and $5M. And dont bring up they said they came because of him. They arent idiots. If a reporter asks you if a new team mate was a reason you came here you give the diplomatic answer. Stop grasping straws it ****ing bs.

Old
06-30-2011, 11:29 AM
Darylman

I think its fairly common knowledge Gionta came directly because of Gomez and Cammy strongly indicated as much.

Old
06-30-2011, 11:29 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

To All The Teachers Out There, School Is Out For The Summer So Back On Topic!

Thanks

Old
06-30-2011, 11:30 AM
znk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darylman View Post
I think its fairly common knowledge Gionta came directly because of Gomez and Cammy strongly indicated as much.
What kind of answer do you expect when a reporter asks you that kind of question? For crying out loud. This is amazing.

Old
06-30-2011, 11:31 AM
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou

Quote:
For the last time? Stop the condescending tone.

You obviously don't know what you're talking about, Cammalleri could've gotten 6M elsewhere (Toronto) and Gionta was paid by the market value. You're simply blinded by the fact that you hate Gomez and can't accept the fact that without a respectable centerman, Gionta and Cammalleri would've thought about it more than twice.

Gomez's lackluster performance and what happened on july 1st are two different things.

Old
06-30-2011, 11:31 AM
icerocket

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darylman View Post
This.

But his performance can't always be overlooked because of this.

Old
06-30-2011, 11:34 AM
haburger*

there is a whipping boy EVERY year in mtl.rite now its gomers turn.god i hope pk doesnt have a sophmore slump next season.cause our fans an media will be headhunting again next year lookin for blood.pathetic an uneducated ,habs fans are.

Old
06-30-2011, 11:36 AM
znk

Quote:
Originally Posted by haburger View Post
there is a whipping boy EVERY year in mtl.rite now its gomers turn.god i hope pk doesnt have a sophmore slump next season.cause our fans an media will be headhunting again next year lookin for blood.pathetic an uneducated ,habs fans are.
So what you are saying is players who earn top dollars should not be accountable ? Why do I have to be accountable for my performance where I work? And you also think that those who think differently then you are uneducated? Why am I not surprised...

Old
06-30-2011, 11:37 AM
Miller Time

Quote:
yeah, but being stuck with Gomez makes me long for our whipping boys of old... Ryder, Ribiero, Brisebois...

at least they were actually giving the team decent value

Old
06-30-2011, 11:38 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
For the last time? Stop the condescending tone.

You obviously don't know what you're talking about, Cammalleri could've gotten 6M elsewhere (Toronto) and Gionta was paid by the market value. You're simply blinded by the fact that you hate Gomez and can't accept the fact that without a respectable centerman, Gionta and Cammalleri would've thought about it more than twice.

Gomez's lackluster performance and what happened on july 1st are two different things.
1st of all I don't "hate" Gomez. 2nd of all Toronto didn't offer that extra year that Montreal did and that's why he came here. and 3rd of all Gionta wanted to stay in Jersey and even Lou told him to take the money and come to Montreal. When Gomez took the money and left for New York did he care about Gionta?

I believe your being sarcastic, well I hope

Old
06-30-2011, 11:40 AM
MoldyCakes
Fight, Troll, Score

Quote:
38 points is the new ELITE level in the "new" NHL.

Old
06-30-2011, 11:41 AM
MathMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller Time View Post
at least they were actually giving the team decent value
Gomez is not worth 7 million, but he's useful. It's just that people are so obsessed with point totals, they don't see it.

Old
06-30-2011, 11:43 AM
Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post
Gomez is not worth 7 million, but he's useful. It's just that people are so obsessed with point totals, they don't see it.
MathMan...you're wrong...they are not obsessed with points...

they are obsessed with size and points. Size comes first though.

Old
06-30-2011, 11:44 AM
Markowicz
Simple Jacques

Quote:

Even though Cammy claims that the Gomez deal had nothing to do with him signing in MTL, it's only reasonable to believe that he probably wouldn't have signed if Gomez wasn't already there. Any big time scorer needs to know he has a great set-up guy, and hate him or not, Gomez was known as that 2 years ago. Gomez has become an albatross, don't get me wrong, but getting him created a new idea about Montreal, that it was a place where star players with winning pedigrees went. It has been an epic fail thus far, but no one can deny that Montreal has become more of a UFA destination since we got him.

So You can say that Gainey messed up badly, and i still think the trade was a mistake--but i think he knew that he had to try to bring in a big name (at the time) to make Montreal a more attractive for a potential ufa's. Cammy and Gionta were probably our most high profile UFA pickups ever (Kovalev?) and don't think they would have signed here without Gomez. Regardless of how much money we had that year, i think we would have got players more in the realm of Sergei Samsonov (crappy and overpaid) and we would be in a world of trouble right now. I think my point is this: The Montreal Canadiens organization was in a world of hurt going into the 09-10' season, and if they had gone back with the team they had (Koivu, Ryder,Higgins, Komisarek etc.,) I truly believe we would have sucked, and not saved that much money. The Gomez trade wasn't a good deal, but it's a better alternative then if we had stayed status quo.

Old
06-30-2011, 11:46 AM
ruski17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Sorry, but it's time to give hockey players some merit and intelligence. Tell me how the great Scott Gomez was able to a factor in having guys play for us while we were never able to bring anybody when Saku Koivu was in. You know, that Koivu, that warrior, worshiped by everybody INCLUDING BRUINS FANS (says a lot), who had all his battles, an example of what hard work and dedication is AND on top of that, a good playoff performer. Let say the Gomez don't work....does Koivu sticks around? Some say he wanted to go....some others say he would have but Gainey thought it was time to move.....But it was time 'cause Gainey thought Gomez was THE guy.

And by the way, the Habs would have been in rebuilding mode? Seriously? You think they would have let that happen? We would have tanked that year? Geez, so no Gomez, Gionta and Cammy (though Gionta didn't say that on OTR and his story about going back to Lamoriello with Habs offer is public knowledge...) would have meant one Tavares, Hedman or Duchesne....another reason to hate Gomez....as if I needed more.....
Not what I meant. I meant to say that other players would see us in a rebuilding mode. At that time, Koivu, Tanguay, Kovalev, Komisarek(who was good for us), Lang, etc. all of our top players or almost left. Hence, we "looked" like a team going nowhere which is where I brought up the idea of looking like rebuilding because, in a way, we did, but only through free agency.

Old
06-30-2011, 11:46 AM
znk

Quote:
Useful? He's useful at handcuffing the team and preventing it from actually getting a #1 center.

Old
06-30-2011, 11:50 AM
MoldyCakes
Fight, Troll, Score

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koseegin View Post
MathMan...you're wrong...they are not obsessed with points...

they are obsessed with size and points. Size comes first though.
Or maybe value-obssessed, since a guy like Getzlaf is paid less but gives more...both on and off the stat sheet.

Old
06-30-2011, 11:50 AM
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou

Quote:
1st of all I don't "hate" Gomez. 2nd of all Toronto didn't offer that extra year that Montreal did and that's why he came here. and 3rd of all Gionta wanted to stay in Jersey and even Lou told him to take the money and come to Montreal. When Gomez took the money and left for New York did he care about Gionta?

I believe your being sarcastic, well I hope
Not being sarcastic at all.

The fact that Gomez left NJ for NY and didn't care about Gionta is not relevant to prove your point. Gomez's trade was Gainey's first move to re-build the core. Without that trade, I'm not sure Cammalleri and Gionta would've accepted playing with Plekanec and Lapierre as the top 2 centers.

Gionta was even more willing to sign here because he would be paired with the center that helped him score nearly 50 goals in a season. Gionta wasn't in NJ's plan anymore. Cammalleri was reported to recieve more money from T.O, and if it's true that the habs offered him one extra year, the offers would be even or close to it.

Old
06-30-2011, 11:52 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

vCash: 725
Quote:
Shouldn't we be obsess with point totals of our top 6 players? No matter how much money he makes, I'm expecting points from my top 6. The "useful" part, I'd leave it to my bottom 6. Obviously, if my top 6 is ALSO useful in all other aspects of the game, well that's what determine a great team from a good one. The day that we can accept having him and his salary AND that we can replace him with another centerman who will be able to do the job of top 2 centerman, then people "might" leave the salary/points ratio alone....Until Desharnais, Eller or any other proves it, those "little things" will unfortunatley be forgotten....

Old
06-30-2011, 11:52 AM
Marchy79

Quote:
Cammalleri could've gotten 6M elsewhere (Toronto) and Gionta was paid by the market value. You're simply blinded by the fact that you hate Gomez and can't accept the fact that without a respectable centerman, Gionta and Cammalleri would've thought about it more than twice.

Very true post.

Ever since the quote came out from Gio & Camm, that they did not sign because of Gomez (Like they were supposed to say much else, being men and all). It's been overused to the point where it proves having Gomez was almost a NEGATIVE at THAT point.

Gionta had his best seasons playing beside Gomez. It's not a strong statement that Gomez at least HELPED with the decision process. Maybe he wasn't the entire reason, he could have been a part of it to say the least.
If you go back to the seasons that Gionta was without Gomez, the scouting report came back NOT positive. In short, he was regressing.
I look at the writing on the wall, and can't help but think that Gionta did LIKE that he saw something familiar in Montreal, in combination to the full package Montreal was offering (one thing that CAN be said about the Habs, is that they have had feedback that they do put together nice full package presentations, WHEN they do offer).

Cammalleri I believe would be more of an individual decision. What gave people the perception that first off, GOMEZ was a factor, was in the case that one of his first quotes upon joining the Habs was spoken with the talk of playing with a Play-making center LIKE Gomez.
Yes it out of context, especially when a few years later, it comes out that Cammalleri did have an offer from his home-town Leafs, offering the same. The decision for him was to keep his hockey life, and his home life, separate (Smart move).

So in short, yes they both LIKED the fact that Gomez was at least here. But I don't think it was a DECIDING factor that kept them here.

Old
06-30-2011, 11:53 AM
ChoseLa

Actualy one of the first thing Gionta said when he arrived in Montreal was to say that the Gomez signing add no impact on his choice.

Closed Thread