HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Callahan's Agent Thinking Offer Sheet; Gap in Negotiations; Pot Shot at Richards

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-30-2011, 10:02 AM
  #101
ruckus*
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: New Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 3,554
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
The same exact things were said about Chris Drury a decade ago, and rightfully so.

This is me looking way too far ahead, but I'll do it anyway because Im convinced this contract will run fairly smoothly. But what happens if Callahan performs for the next 5 years as we all think he will? A real leader capable of putting up 60 points or so each season? Sounds a lot like someone else right? And what happens when he gets overpaid in his next contract because of what he provides outside the numbers? Will he be villainized by the fanbase?

Perhaps most importantly, what happens when he begins to break down after 30? Hes a relatively small guy who plays much more physical than Drury ever did. His days are numbered, no doubt about it.

You think the underappreciation of Callahan is bad now? Just wait until it becomes somewhat justified.
Ay yi yi that post is making me queasy.

Can understand the thought process though.

ruckus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2011, 10:06 AM
  #102
bernmeister
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 8,487
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DatsyukSOGoal View Post
No, he wants to be in Buffalo with Richards
Like Ricky used to say:
Lucy, you just so ridiculous!

bernmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2011, 10:23 AM
  #103
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul
 
NYR Sting's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 9,506
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
The same exact things were said about Chris Drury a decade ago, and rightfully so.

This is me looking way too far ahead, but I'll do it anyway because Im convinced this contract will run fairly smoothly. But what happens if Callahan performs for the next 5 years as we all think he will? A real leader capable of putting up 60 points or so each season? Sounds a lot like someone else right? And what happens when he gets overpaid in his next contract because of what he provides outside the numbers? Will he be villainized by the fanbase?

Perhaps most importantly, what happens when he begins to break down after 30? Hes a relatively small guy who plays much more physical than Drury ever did. His days are numbered, no doubt about it.

You think the underappreciation of Callahan is bad now? Just wait until it becomes somewhat justified.
I'm not saying you're wrong, but what happens in the future doesn't change the present. Still doesn't excuse the mindset from certain parts of the fanbase today. It's much like the lashing out at Lundqvist by other segments. You don't know how lucky you are if you fail to appreciate what you have in these two.

Callahan's worth isn't in the hits or the blocked shots. It's not in his offense, which on the rush is inferior to Dubinsky's but superior in more static scenarios, or in his leadership, whatever it may be. It's in his fundamentals (yeah, a lot like Chris Drury's was). It's in the fact that he almost never takes the wrong angle on a man or a puck. It's in the fact that he understands the right time and place for aggressive play. Impeccable timing. It's in the fact that whenever he is on the ice, the chances that the other team can make the best possible pass, take the best possible shot, run the best possible play are greatly diminished. He tilts the ice in your favor all on his own. He makes every little play, and he makes it almost every single time. His play away from the puck is perfection. He leaves nothing to be desired. That makes him a coach's wet dream. He almost never makes mistakes. He almost always makes the right play. No one else on the team, and few in the league, can say the same. He executes. He is extremely efficient. Efficiency is what wins games.

It's not fair to compare him to Chris Drury as far as the path their careers will take. It's a possibility, but he may have a longer shelf life. They are very similar players. but Callahan has more going for him. He's more agile, he's more athletic. Regardless, you're already going to get down on the guy for possibly threatening to leave for a bigger salary? I don't know. I think he's going to find that once he's the captain of this team, and this team sees some success, leaving is going to be a very difficult option to consider.

Honestly, I imagine that Johnny Cakes is going to be here for a while. I think this is very much his team now like it is Sather's. There is no way he is going to allow them to part with Callahan. I think Callahan is going to be a career Ranger, or at least not leave until the tail end of his career. You just don't part with homegrown leader-types who out play and out work every one.

To tell you the truth, it'd be hard to get mad if Callahan were to get overpaid. That's how valuable it is to have a guy that makes those little plays EVERY time. Of all the guys to overpay, a guy like him makes more sense than some inconsistent, highly flawed offensive underachiever.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2011, 10:27 AM
  #104
Son of Steinbrenner
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Country: Tromelin
Posts: 9,491
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post
Difference is night and day.

Dubi - Held out past training camp.

Cally - Technically not even an RFA yet, he's still has a few hours remaining on his current contract.

Should Callahan hold out into training camp, then he will be in the same boat as Dubi.
Same boat as Callahan means what exactly?

I'm surprised how much you support Sather now. I guess you think whatever Sather offers must be taken by the player or they are greedy? I don't want to put words in your mouth but that's the way this comes off.

The fact that Dubinsky held out two years ago and is still considered greedy is a joke.

Son of Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2011, 10:41 AM
  #105
Kel Varnsen
Below: Nash's Heart
 
Kel Varnsen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 3,108
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting36e View Post
I'm not saying you're wrong, but what happens in the future doesn't change the present. Still doesn't excuse the mindset from certain parts of the fanbase today. It's much like the lashing out at Lundqvist by other segments. You don't know how lucky you are if you fail to appreciate what you have in these two.

Callahan's worth isn't in the hits or the blocked shots. It's not in his offense, which on the rush is inferior to Dubinsky's but superior in more static scenarios, or in his leadership, whatever it may be. It's in his fundamentals (yeah, a lot like Chris Drury's was). It's in the fact that he almost never takes the wrong angle on a man or a puck. It's in the fact that he understands the right time and place for aggressive play. Impeccable timing. It's in the fact that whenever he is on the ice, the chances that the other team can make the best possible pass, take the best possible shot, run the best possible play are greatly diminished. He tilts the ice in your favor all on his own. He makes every little play, and he makes it almost every single time. His play away from the puck is perfection. He leaves nothing to be desired. That makes him a coach's wet dream. He almost never makes mistakes. He almost always makes the right play. No one else on the team, and few in the league, can say the same. He executes. He is extremely efficient. Efficiency is what wins games.

It's not fair to compare him to Chris Drury as far as the path their careers will take. It's a possibility, but he may have a longer shelf life. They are very similar players. but Callahan has more going for him. He's more agile, he's more athletic. Regardless, you're already going to get down on the guy for possibly threatening to leave for a bigger salary? I don't know. I think he's going to find that once he's the captain of this team, and this team sees some success, leaving is going to be a very difficult option to consider.

Honestly, I imagine that Johnny Cakes is going to be here for a while. I think this is very much his team now like it is Sather's. There is no way he is going to allow them to part with Callahan. I think Callahan is going to be a career Ranger, or at least not leave until the tail end of his career. You just don't part with homegrown leader-types who out play and out work every one.

To tell you the truth, it'd be hard to get mad if Callahan were to get overpaid. That's how valuable it is to have a guy that makes those little plays EVERY time. Of all the guys to overpay, a guy like him makes more sense than some inconsistent, highly flawed offensive underachiever.
So how much should we have been willing to play Blair Betts? How bad have we even missed him?

Very good defensive forwards are easier to find than you're pretending. A guy who carries his line offensively, brings that edge physically and plays as great in his own end is more valuable than an elite defensive forward. The former being Dubi, he's way more valuable.

And I don't know where you live, what you read or what Rangers fans you interact with but there is no way in hell Callahan is underrated by Rangers fans. He's way overrated.

Kel Varnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2011, 10:42 AM
  #106
OverTheCap
Registered User
 
OverTheCap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 9,703
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Steinbrenner View Post
Same boat as Callahan means what exactly?

I'm surprised how much you support Sather now. I guess you think whatever Sather offers must be taken by the player or they are greedy? I don't want to put words in your mouth but that's the way this comes off.

The fact that Dubinsky held out two years ago and is still considered greedy is a joke.
Agreed. So many Rangers fans still hold a grudge against Dubinsky for holding out, when in reality it had absolutely zero impact on the team. It didn't ruin the psyche of the team or anything. And let's not forgot that Sather's QO was something ridiculously low, like a little over $500,000 as Brooks reported. Dubi is evolving into a leader and a decent top 6 player. It's such a non-factor at this point but is discussed as this horrible event in Rangers history two years later.

Meanwhile, if Cally didn't have arbitration rights two summers ago, who knows, maybe he would have held out as well. From the comments that Bartlett is making now, it wouldn't surprise me. Cally filed for arbitration that summer, so clearly he was upset with Sather's offer as well, but they managed to negotiate before the hearing.

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2011, 10:58 AM
  #107
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul
 
NYR Sting's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 9,506
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kel Varnsen View Post
So how much should we have been willing to play Blair Betts? How bad have we even missed him?

Very good defensive forwards are easier to find than you're pretending. A guy who carries his line offensively, brings that edge physically and plays as great in his own end is more valuable than an elite defensive forward. The former being Dubi, he's way more valuable.

And I don't know where you live, what you read or what Rangers fans you interact with but there is no way in hell Callahan is underrated by Rangers fans. He's way overrated.
The comparison to Blair Betts is so drastically absurd that I don't even know how to respond to it. Good defensive forward is not an apt description for Callahan. Blair Betts is a good defensive forward. Callahan is a near-perfect player, and not just defensively. Away from the puck, he's as flawless offensively as he is defensively. He's always in the right place. If you ever ask anyone who coaches hockey at any kind of significant level and to talk about Callahan, they won't stop raving. He's the type of guy you tell a kid to watch and try to model himself after. He's one of the smartest players in the league today. That cannot be overstated. His hockey sense or whatever you want to call it, is off the charts.

The reason Callahan is criminally underrated is because, unfortunately, some people don't know what to look for, so they can never spot it. There's a marked difference between the way a guy like Callahan plays the game and the way most players. Believe it or not, he's up there with some of the best all-around players in the game. What makes guys like that so good is fundamentals. These players have perfect positioning, and perfect timing. Most players do not. If anyone on the Rangers comes close in that regard, it is Anisimov. Sauer is also close. Dubinsky certainly does not. That doesn't make him a bad player, or to say that he's not a smart player or poorly positioned, because that isn't the case, but it diminishes his value in comparison to players like Callahan, how few of them there are. Callahan isn't as talented as a guy like Kesler, but he plays the game away from the puck almost as well, and Kesler is a top-3 player in this regard.

Dubinsky benefited more from Callahan last season, than the other way around. Callahan can work with any player and in any role. IMO, Dubinsky cannot carry a line offensively (I guess it depends on your definition of carry), his physicality manifests itself just as frequently as Callahan's, and his defensive play and play away from the puck is not the equal of Callahan's. Offensively, Dubinsky is more ambitious than Callahan, but that tends to make him less efficient. You see Dubinsky make flashier plays, and you interpret that as him being better offensively. I interpret that as him being more talented and more skilled, but not the better offensive player. Offensive play on a multi-player rush is probably Callahan's biggest weakness. But in the more frequent and more important zone-based offensive plays, Callahan is more likely to make the simpler, smarter, more efficient play, and he's more likely to execute it.

I like Dubinsky. I like him a lot. He's a very solid young player who brings a lot of good things to the table. However, he's no Callahan. The gap in value between them is significant.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2011, 11:15 AM
  #108
Kel Varnsen
Below: Nash's Heart
 
Kel Varnsen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 3,108
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting36e View Post
The comparison to Blair Betts is so drastically absurd that I don't even know how to respond to it. Good defensive forward is not an apt description for Callahan. Blair Betts is a good defensive forward. Callahan is a near-perfect player, and not just defensively. Away from the puck, he's as flawless offensively as he is defensively. He's always in the right place. If you ever ask anyone who coaches hockey at any kind of significant level and to talk about Callahan, they won't stop raving. He's the type of guy you tell a kid to watch and try to model himself after. He's one of the smartest players in the league today. That cannot be overstated. His hockey sense or whatever you want to call it, is off the charts.

The reason Callahan is criminally underrated is because, unfortunately, some people don't know what to look for, so they can never spot it. There's a marked difference between the way a guy like Callahan plays the game and the way most players. Believe it or not, he's up there with some of the best all-around players in the game. What makes guys like that so good is fundamentals. These players have perfect positioning, and perfect timing. Most players do not. If anyone on the Rangers comes close in that regard, it is Anisimov. Sauer is also close. Dubinsky certainly does not. That doesn't make him a bad player, or to say that he's not a smart player or poorly positioned, because that isn't the case, but it diminishes his value in comparison to players like Callahan, how few of them there are. Callahan isn't as talented as a guy like Kesler, but he plays the game away from the puck almost as well, and Kesler is a top-3 player in this regard.

Dubinsky benefited more from Callahan last season, than the other way around. Callahan can work with any player and in any role. IMO, Dubinsky cannot carry a line offensively (I guess it depends on your definition of carry), his physicality manifests itself just as frequently as Callahan's, and his defensive play and play away from the puck is not the equal of Callahan's. Offensively, Dubinsky is more ambitious than Callahan, but that tends to make him less efficient. You see Dubinsky make flashier plays, and you interpret that as him being better offensively. I interpret that as him being more talented and more skilled, but not the better offensive player. Offensive play on a multi-player rush is probably Callahan's biggest weakness. But in the more frequent and more important zone-based offensive plays, Callahan is more likely to make the simpler, smarter, more efficient play, and he's more likely to execute it.

I like Dubinsky. I like him a lot. He's a very solid young player who brings a lot of good things to the table. However, he's no Callahan. The gap in value between them is significant.
In the first paragraph I think you're mixing up Ryan Callahan and Wayne Gretzky. And he's still terrible with the puck, I don't know how you don't think that's a major flaw.

Callahan in the offensive zone just throws the puck on net. He doesn't hold it and make plays for his teammates.

Here are the shots taken for the two for the past few years (extrapolated to 82 games to make comparison simpler):
Callahan Dubinsky
245 215
217 196
240 188

Dubi sets up Cally, Cally doesn't set up Dubi. It's played out in both their goal to assists ratio. Dubi has more assists than goals every year he's been in the league. Callahan only managed that this past year and only by two assists.

Kel Varnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2011, 11:25 AM
  #109
CHGoalie27
GWAAARRRRRRR
 
CHGoalie27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: SoFLA
Country: United States
Posts: 6,653
vCash: 500
Wonder what physically happens to Glen Sather if we lose Callahan.

Hopefully something serious.

(Yes, I wish severe physical harm on the party responsible for NYR losing anyone named Callahan...or Lundqvist)

CHGoalie27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2011, 11:35 AM
  #110
Boom Boom Geoffrion*
CarciLOL
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: NYC
Country: Greece
Posts: 7,553
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kel Varnsen View Post
Dubi sets up Cally, Cally doesn't set up Dubi. It's played out in both their goal to assists ratio. Dubi has more assists than goals every year he's been in the league. Callahan only managed that this past year and only by two assists.
What is your obsession with comparing Dubi+Cally?

You're running with a stupid, typical quote you read from his agent. That's it.

The difference between Callahan and Dubinsky isn't dramatic enough warrant your reactions.

Cally outperformed Dubinsky on a game-by-game basis. That doesn't mean he's better, or worse a player from a statistical pov, it just shows you that Cally, despite his lack of creativity, can produce at a similiar clip than the guy you decided to bring into the discussion.

Who cares if Dubi gets a few more assists. Or if Cally gets a few more hits. At the end of the day, they're two, valuable, blue-collar home-grown players that should play here the rest of their careers. Their value is very similiar.

Boom Boom Geoffrion* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2011, 11:43 AM
  #111
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul
 
NYR Sting's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 9,506
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kel Varnsen View Post
In the first paragraph I think you're mixing up Ryan Callahan and Wayne Gretzky. And he's still terrible with the puck, I don't know how you don't think that's a major flaw.
I'm not mixing anything up. You have to understand the fundamentals yourself to be able to spot them. Being "terrible" with the puck isn't that big of an issue for the kind of player that Callahan is. He's not primarily a puckhandler. It keeps him from being a superstar, but it doesn't diminish the importance of his many, many other contributions. It's just about the only thing he doesn't do better than practically everyone else.

Quote:
Callahan in the offensive zone just throws the puck on net. He doesn't hold it and make plays for his teammates.
That's not true. He does attempt to set others up, though not as much as he looks to shoot. However, now you are criticizing him for the role he is being asked to play on the team.

Quote:
Here are the shots taken for the two for the past few years (extrapolated to 82 games to make comparison simpler):
Callahan Dubinsky
245 215
217 196
240 188

Dubi sets up Cally, Cally doesn't set up Dubi. It's played out in both their goal to assists ratio. Dubi has more assists than goals every year he's been in the league. Callahan only managed that this past year and only by two assists.
Have you not been paying attention to the makeup of this team? Callahan shoots a lot because that's his role on the club. This team has a void of offensive talent, especially before Gaborik, and when he is injured. Callahan becomes a de facto sniper on this team. He was that when he played on Gomez's wing, and he is that now, especially when Gaborik went down. Place him on a line with two more offensively-inclined players and watch his shot totals recede.

You are looking at the finish, or the play right before the finish. But a series of events need to take placed before that finish happens. That's where Callahan's play away from the puck comes into play. It's Callahan that more than any other player on the team does more to help create the opportunities to finish. Dubinsky is definitely a better puckhandler and liable to make the more creative play that results in a finish, but Callahan facilitates those chances. You need to appreciate the little things, because without them, the big things never happen. And Callahan owns the little things.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2011, 11:50 AM
  #112
Boom Boom Geoffrion*
CarciLOL
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: NYC
Country: Greece
Posts: 7,553
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kel Varnsen View Post
Callahan in the offensive zone just throws the puck on net. He doesn't hold it and make plays for his teammates.
If you recall Callahan's rookie+sophomore season, all he did was throw the puck on net when he had an opportunity. He had almost no puck-skills those two first season's. Last 2 season's though, he's been getting much more creative with the puck. I don't feel like jumping on youtube right now, but if you have a moment, check out some of his highlights the last year or two. He's certainly improved his puck-handling skills ten-fold.

Not a fancy, dangling player, but he's not blair betts with a little flair. Ryan's hands have gotten noticeably better season after season.

Boom Boom Geoffrion* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2011, 12:32 PM
  #113
Kel Varnsen
Below: Nash's Heart
 
Kel Varnsen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 3,108
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting36e View Post
I'm not mixing anything up. You have to understand the fundamentals yourself to be able to spot them. Being "terrible" with the puck isn't that big of an issue for the kind of player that Callahan is. He's not primarily a puckhandler. It keeps him from being a superstar, but it doesn't diminish the importance of his many, many other contributions. It's just about the only thing he doesn't do better than practically everyone else.



That's not true. He does attempt to set others up, though not as much as he looks to shoot. However, now you are criticizing him for the role he is being asked to play on the team.



Have you not been paying attention to the makeup of this team? Callahan shoots a lot because that's his role on the club. This team has a void of offensive talent, especially before Gaborik, and when he is injured. Callahan becomes a de facto sniper on this team. He was that when he played on Gomez's wing, and he is that now, especially when Gaborik went down. Place him on a line with two more offensively-inclined players and watch his shot totals recede.

You are looking at the finish, or the play right before the finish. But a series of events need to take placed before that finish happens. That's where Callahan's play away from the puck comes into play. It's Callahan that more than any other player on the team does more to help create the opportunities to finish. Dubinsky is definitely a better puckhandler and liable to make the more creative play that results in a finish, but Callahan facilitates those chances. You need to appreciate the little things, because without them, the big things never happen. And Callahan owns the little things.
Watching the Caps series this year it was obvious our biggest problem was we couldn't establish any presence in the offensive zone. We couldn't carry the puck in, we couldn't hold the puck when we gained the zone. Dubi was about the only guy who was able to do those things. Callahan wouldn't have helped us there. It would have been nice to have him doing what he does, but it wouldn't have changed the series much like having more guys like Dubi would have. Until we get more legitimate top six guys, Dubi is way more valuable than Callahan for this team.

Kel Varnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2011, 12:56 PM
  #114
GAGLine
Registered User
 
GAGLine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 9,278
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kel Varnsen View Post
Watching the Caps series this year it was obvious our biggest problem was we couldn't establish any presence in the offensive zone. We couldn't carry the puck in, we couldn't hold the puck when we gained the zone. Dubi was about the only guy who was able to do those things. Callahan wouldn't have helped us there. It would have been nice to have him doing what he does, but it wouldn't have changed the series much like having more guys like Dubi would have. Until we get more legitimate top six guys, Dubi is way more valuable than Callahan for this team.
Seriously? Callahan is our best forechecker. We play so much dump and chase because our transition game sucks and with dump and chase, you need people to go hard to the boards and get the puck. Nobody on this team is better at that than Callahan, though Prust is a close 2nd.

Having Callahan in the lineup would have made a BIG difference in terms of offensive zone possession time.

GAGLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2011, 01:00 PM
  #115
Barbara Underhill
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke
 
Barbara Underhill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Montana
Country: United States
Posts: 13,144
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kel Varnsen View Post
Fracture means break. Broken is the past participle of break.
You can get as technical as you want with the wording, a stress fracture is different than an actual break.

Barbara Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2011, 01:04 PM
  #116
Boom Boom Geoffrion*
CarciLOL
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: NYC
Country: Greece
Posts: 7,553
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kel Varnsen View Post
Watching the Caps series this year it was obvious our biggest problem was we couldn't establish any presence in the offensive zone. We couldn't carry the puck in, we couldn't hold the puck when we gained the zone. Dubi was about the only guy who was able to do those things. Callahan wouldn't have helped us there. It would have been nice to have him doing what he does, but it wouldn't have changed the series much like having more guys like Dubi would have. Until we get more legitimate top six guys, Dubi is way more valuable than Callahan for this team.
At this point, I think it's rather clear that you have some sort of personal issues with Callahan as a player. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Boom Boom Geoffrion* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2011, 01:26 PM
  #117
GeorgeHamiltonsTan
Registered User
 
GeorgeHamiltonsTan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 1,229
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kel Varnsen View Post
Watching the Caps series this year it was obvious our biggest problem was we couldn't establish any presence in the offensive zone. We couldn't carry the puck in, we couldn't hold the puck when we gained the zone. Dubi was about the only guy who was able to do those things. Callahan wouldn't have helped us there. It would have been nice to have him doing what he does, but it wouldn't have changed the series much like having more guys like Dubi would have. Until we get more legitimate top six guys, Dubi is way more valuable than Callahan for this team.
i havent read the entire thread but i'll go out on a limb and guess you are maybe 1 of 3 people who share this opinion. I cant for the life of me make any sense of this rationalization. subtract callahan from the team for a season and subtract dubi for a season its safe to say cally's impact would be far greater. The fact is callahan is more of an impact player now that dubi will ever be.

the moral of the story is BOTH need to remain in NYR jerseys. If the cap becomes an issue in signing richards than screw richards, keep callahan at all costs!

GeorgeHamiltonsTan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2011, 01:29 PM
  #118
frankthefrowner
Registered User
 
frankthefrowner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 1,663
vCash: 500
An offer sheet wouldnt be the end of the world... the only way we dont match is if he gets 5.5+ in which case.. k thx bai. You can have your overpaid winger.

frankthefrowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2011, 01:38 PM
  #119
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: USA
Country: United States
Posts: 15,193
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting36e View Post
It's sad when the team's own fans consistently fail to realize the value of the player that is clearly the most important player on their team other than the superstar goaltender. The guy that is already a top 10 defensive forward in the league, and one of the most valuable all-around players to ever wear a Ranger jersey.

You don't let players like Ryan Callahan slip through your fingers. The only players who you hold on to with a tighter grip are flat out superstars. Players like Callahan are very, very rare, and very, very valuable. You don't know hockey if you don't see why, because if you know hockey, you realize what an immense advantage it is to have a player like Callahan on your team.

That said, I'm not too worried. I'm pretty sure if Callahan is allowed to leave VIA offer sheet, Tortorella quits the next day. This is just typical agent ********.
Callahan is an important player to THIS team.

But one of the most valuable all around in Rangers history? Not even close. No way. Not at this point in his career. If he elevates to another level for a long time, maybe.

Theres a long history with great players that wore the Rangers uniform for a long time.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2011, 01:53 PM
  #120
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash
 
BlueshirtBlitz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: New York
Posts: 18,930
vCash: 500
I've just read snippets of the thread but Cally is far and away our most complete forward and this year was just as good as Dubi offensively. If its between the two, I pick Cally.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2011, 01:57 PM
  #121
eco's bones
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Elmira NY
Country: United States
Posts: 12,598
vCash: 500
No doubt in my mind that when Callahan got hurt towards the end of the season it blew a big hole into our lineup. Ryan may be as good a forechecker and as hard a backchecker as there in the league--however it seems as though some people think the Rangers couldn't survive without him and personally the compensation of a 1st rounder unless it's a lottery pick would not be good enough value for him. Even so the Rangers would survive and they've survived without him for stretches before--it's just not a good thing when you're going into the playoffs to lose a player of his caliber and too late to do anything about it.

Anyway he's hardly an elite player--more of a super grinder who can add a decent amount of offense. Between him and Dubinsky I'm not sure I'd say one was better than the other. They're different and neither of them is a perfect player. Callahan hits more and Dubinsky absorbs more hits to hold onto pucks and make plays. Defensively Callahan has an edge. Offensively Dubinsky. I think enough of them at this point in time where I think they're both worthy of somewhere between $3.5 and 4 mil per which at their age and with their experience is really good.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2011, 02:14 PM
  #122
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul
 
NYR Sting's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 9,506
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kel Varnsen View Post
Watching the Caps series this year it was obvious our biggest problem was we couldn't establish any presence in the offensive zone. We couldn't carry the puck in, we couldn't hold the puck when we gained the zone. Dubi was about the only guy who was able to do those things. Callahan wouldn't have helped us there. It would have been nice to have him doing what he does, but it wouldn't have changed the series much like having more guys like Dubi would have. Until we get more legitimate top six guys, Dubi is way more valuable than Callahan for this team.
Our biggest problem was a lack of a player like Brad Richards, not a much lower talent like Dubinsky who we have no choice but to play as a playmaker. On a good team, Dubinsky is not a playmaker, Dubinsky becomes a shooter just like Callahan. However more talented Dubinsky is than Callahan, that's not enough to overcome everything else that Callahan does better. Offer either one to 29 NHL teams, nearly all will choose Callahan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
Callahan is an important player to THIS team.

But one of the most valuable all around in Rangers history? Not even close. No way. Not at this point in his career. If he elevates to another level for a long time, maybe.

Theres a long history with great players that wore the Rangers uniform for a long time.
Since 1990, I can think of two players that have worn Ranger jerseys and have equaled or surpassed Callahan's last 3 or 4 seasons in terms of all-around play. Mark Messier and, for several seasons, Adam Graves. No one else even comes close.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2011, 08:12 PM
  #123
SML
Registered User
 
SML's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 3,743
vCash: 500
I really like Callahan, but I will not let my emotions cloud my reason. He is not a first line player. We cannot pay him like one. If some team comes in and wants to overpay him, I would cut ties with him in a second. It sucks, but it's the reality of the game now. Getting value for your cap space is almost more important than getting production on the ice. We just saw what happens when you pay a guy for qualities like "leadership". Eventually you wind up paying for only that. Callahan plays a reckless style physically. I don't think he's going to be a guy who plays at this level late into his thirties. I can accept paying him a little too much, but a I cannot accept paying him for too long. I think he's going to go the way of Adam Graves, who left it all on the ice, but ran out of "it" early. I don't want to see him getting one of these ridiculous 10 year deals. And for the love of God, can we please make it tail off at the end the way everyone else does instead of these assinine deals where the guy makes the same outrageous salary from beginning to end?

SML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2011, 08:24 PM
  #124
pavelich
Registered User
 
pavelich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 573
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SML View Post
I really like Callahan, but I will not let my emotions cloud my reason. He is not a first line player. We cannot pay him like one. If some team comes in and wants to overpay him, I would cut ties with him in a second. It sucks, but it's the reality of the game now. Getting value for your cap space is almost more important than getting production on the ice. We just saw what happens when you pay a guy for qualities like "leadership". Eventually you wind up paying for only that. Callahan plays a reckless style physically. I don't think he's going to be a guy who plays at this level late into his thirties. I can accept paying him a little too much, but a I cannot accept paying him for too long. I think he's going to go the way of Adam Graves, who left it all on the ice, but ran out of "it" early. I don't want to see him getting one of these ridiculous 10 year deals. And for the love of God, can we please make it tail off at the end the way everyone else does instead of these assinine deals where the guy makes the same outrageous salary from beginning to end?
Excellent post

but here's hoping the going the way of Adam Graves includes a 50-goal season and a Cup.

pavelich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2011, 08:24 PM
  #125
thewaitingisover
Registered User
 
thewaitingisover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: New Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 521
vCash: 500
8 years, around $40 mil sounds good to me. He needs to stay here, everybody including Glen Sather knows that. If Sather doesn't get Cally signed he knows there will be millions of people calling for his head.

thewaitingisover is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:04 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.