HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

An April To Remember

Old
06-30-2011, 09:49 AM
BobRouse

vCash: 500
An April To Remember

OK I just found this on the net and have been looking for it for quite sometime now. Being old an nostalgic I figured I'd put it up here for the fogies like me.

http://www.viddler.com/explore/elkabong90/videos/2/

BobRouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2011, 10:11 AM
RandyHolt
Opposite George = GM

vCash: 50
I think the Caps Devils series set the record for most penalty minutes in a playoff series. Which says a lot since there wasnt the old school bench clearing brawl to pad the stats.

RandyHolt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2011, 11:03 AM
Millhaus

That was definitely an example of back when the 1st 2 rounds of the playoffs were divisional the regular season literally meant nothing as long you made the playoffs. That team was under .500 but the division was so bad that there were 3 teams worse than them and the 2 teams above them were only 5 and 7 points better respectively.

When they finally faced a good team in the Bruins it was men against boys. But yeah those first 2 rounds were certainly entertaining.

Millhaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2011, 11:40 AM
BobRouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millhaus View Post
That was definitely an example of back when the 1st 2 rounds of the playoffs were divisional the regular season literally meant nothing as long you made the playoffs. That team was under .500 but the division was so bad that there were 3 teams worse than them and the 2 teams above them were only 5 and 7 points better respectively.

When they finally faced a good team in the Bruins it was men against boys. But yeah those first 2 rounds were certainly entertaining.
I disagree with that. The Patrick division was usually one of the strongest in the NHL.

Both the Rangers and Devils were very good teams that year.

I still firmly believe if we had Dino, Hatcher, Beaupre, and a healthy Stevens (played with a separated shoulder) we would have taken the Bs.

Old
06-30-2011, 11:46 AM
Foy

that was the year that Kris King took out a player with an illegal knee in three consecutive games in the post season, right?

Dino, Hatcher, and Druce, correct?

Foy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2011, 11:47 AM
BobRouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foy View Post
that was the year that Kris King took out a player with an illegal knee in three consecutive games in the post season, right?

Dino, Hatcher, and Druce, correct?
I remember he did to Dino and Hatcher in the first two games at MSG. While I dont remember the Druce incident it really wouldn't shock me.

Old
06-30-2011, 11:57 AM
Millhaus

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobRouse View Post
I disagree with that. The Patrick division was usually one of the strongest in the NHL.

Both the Rangers and Devils were very good teams that year.

I still firmly believe if we had Dino, Hatcher, Beaupre, and a healthy Stevens (played with a separated shoulder) we would have taken the Bs.
The Patrick Division was garbage that year. The Caps got swept by the Bruins and it wasn't even as close as this year's sweep by Tampa was.

I'm not saying there wasn't talent on those teams just that as a team none of them were very good at all that year. The Bruins, Sabres, and Habs were all a lot better than and the Whale were as good as anyone in the Patrick Division that year.

Millhaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2011, 12:34 PM
mrwarden
Nothing Witty

I had this video as a kid. I watched it over and over. The soundtrack always stayed in my head since then.

mrwarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2011, 12:44 PM
BobRouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrwarden View Post
I had this video as a kid. I watched it over and over. The soundtrack always stayed in my head since then.
I had the video from the 87-88 season too and that one was critical. In this one I will never forget the "Running Down a Dream" part.

I was at game 3 vs the Devils and somehow we lost that game. Needless to say I went to the only home game in the first 2 rounds that sucked. I think the Caps won every other one...