HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Rangers Prospect Poll: #5

View Poll Results: Who is the #5 Rangers prospect?
Jesper Fasth 1 0.87%
Carl Hagelin 9 7.83%
Oscar Lindberg 0 0%
Mats Zuccarello 49 42.61%
Dylan Mcilrath 51 44.35%
J.T. Miller 5 4.35%
Voters: 115. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
06-30-2011, 08:42 AM
Chief

vCash: 500
McIlrath for me. I'm more confident in him having a greater NHL impact than any of the others.

+ V-Tank

Old
06-30-2011, 08:55 AM
Jumbo*
TARGET: ACQUIRED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnaby View Post
Zucc's not talented enough to get by his size... Mcilrath or Hagelin...
Yea because scoring 23 points in 42 games in his rookie year just screams that he won't be able to get by with his size

Old
06-30-2011, 09:31 AM
Radek27

Send a message via AIM to Radek27
Voted MZA

Add V-Tank

Old
06-30-2011, 10:13 AM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

vCash: 566
MZA, Add Teck.

Things are going to be wide open from here on out.

Old
06-30-2011, 10:28 AM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Gonna go MZA, then Mac.

MZA showed flashes of last year, and when he wasn't doing that he was playing a solid game. I think he can be a 2nd line NHL talent.

Add Vtank.

Old
06-30-2011, 11:26 AM
E-Train

McIlrath- add Vtank.

Old
06-30-2011, 12:04 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Zuccarello-Aasen, add Valentenko

Old
06-30-2011, 12:06 PM
NYRFAN218
Mac Truck

McIlrath, add V-Tank.

Old
06-30-2011, 12:11 PM
clmetsfan

McIlrath. Add Bourque.

Old
06-30-2011, 12:11 PM
Tawnos
BoH Mod Only

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Healthy Scratch View Post
Yea because scoring 23 points in 42 games in his rookie year just screams that he won't be able to get by with his size
Because 42 games isn't enough of a sample size to really know. I know that I saw a guy who was less effective towards the end of the season than he was when he first got to the team. To me, that screams that his size is going to be an issue.

We will see, because it is only a very small sample... but right now I consider McIlrath a better prospect.

Old
06-30-2011, 12:16 PM
mrjimmyg89
'13-'14 East Champs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawnos View Post
Because 42 games isn't enough of a sample size to really know. I know that I saw a guy who was less effective towards the end of the season than he was when he first got to the team. To me, that screams that his size is going to be an issue.

We will see, because it is only a very small sample... but right now I consider McIlrath a better prospect.
No, it screams that his conditioning was an issue, as well as him adjusting to the NHL game. He's never played a full season with all the physicality. Stepan wore down at the end of the season, but you don't see anyone out there saying he won't make it cause he wasn't as good at the end of the season.

And those 42 games McIlrath played in the NHL last season were very impressive

Old
06-30-2011, 12:23 PM
Tawnos
BoH Mod Only

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjimmyg89 View Post
No, it screams that his conditioning was an issue, as well as him adjusting to the NHL game. He's never played a full season with all the physicality. Stepan wore down at the end of the season, but you don't see anyone out there saying he won't make it cause he wasn't as good at the end of the season.

And those 42 games McIlrath played in the NHL last season were very impressive
I don't really agree with the conditioning thing. First of all, Stepan played twice as many games (100% more) against professionals than he did against college players while MZA played 23 more games (41% more) against professionals as he did against other, lesser, professionals. So they're not really apples to apples. Secondly, my observations of the way MZAs season ended mean more to me than meaningless player comparisons. Thirdly, Stepan still found a way to be effective despite being worn down. If that's MZA's problem, he did not do as good of a job with it.

And the fact that MZA has played in the NHL doesn't make him a better prospect than McIlrath. Why did the majority of people voting choose Kreider over McDonagh?

Old
06-30-2011, 12:31 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

the NHL player, MZA. Add Vtank!

Old
06-30-2011, 12:46 PM
mrjimmyg89
'13-'14 East Champs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawnos View Post
I don't really agree with the conditioning thing. First of all, Stepan played twice as many games (100% more) against professionals than he did against college players while MZA played 23 more games (41% more) against professionals as he did against other, lesser, professionals. So they're not really apples to apples. Secondly, my observations of the way MZAs season ended mean more to me than meaningless player comparisons. Thirdly, Stepan still found a way to be effective despite being worn down. If that's MZA's problem, he did not do as good of a job with it.

And the fact that MZA has played in the NHL doesn't make him a better prospect than McIlrath. Why did the majority of people voting choose Kreider over McDonagh?
I didn't. I voted for Erixon actually. It was a toss up for me between McDonagh and Erixon, but I chose him because he played a full season in Europe against men and was a main piece in his team winning a championship. McDonagh was a close 2nd, and Kreider was 3rd because even though he still has amazing potential, he isn't going to be in the NHL or AHL this season, which I believe will hinder his progress.

The majority voted Kreider because he's been the sexy pick for top prospect. More often than not, people value a strong forward over a strong defender, since they are more noticeable on the ice. McDonagh impressed me enough to want to put him at the top. Everything I've heard about Erixon has also wanted me to put him at the top.

With that said, MZA now knows what he is dealing with. I don't think anyone believes he'll be a better player than Stepan, so he will also need more time to adjust. I don't think people should get all hyped up about McIlrath right now, while he is still at least 2 years away from being on the team. Also, I don't believe that McIlrath will be a better NHLer than MZA. His toughness could be of great value to this team, but I believe MZA, after seeing him put up half a point a game, can become a 60 point winger.

Old
06-30-2011, 01:32 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
The majority voted Kreider because he's been the sexy pick for top prospect. More often than not, people value a strong forward over a strong defender, since they are more noticeable on the ice.

It's also that the team has a greater need for a scoring forward than a two-way defenseman. If Erixon and McDonagh become a middling 4-5 defensemen, they are still useful and the Rangers still have a terrific set of blueliners.

But if Kreider becomes nothing more than a middling 2-3 liner like Wolski, the team is in trouble. The Rangers need Kreider (or Thomas) to succeed more than they need McDonagh or Erixon to succeed, and so fans are voting with their hope.

Old
06-30-2011, 01:33 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
I didn't. I voted for Erixon actually. It was a toss up for me between McDonagh and Erixon, but I chose him because he played a full season in Europe against men and was a main piece in his team winning a championship. McDonagh was a close 2nd, and Kreider was 3rd because even though he still has amazing potential, he isn't going to be in the NHL or AHL this season, which I believe will hinder his progress.

The majority voted Kreider because he's been the sexy pick for top prospect. More often than not, people value a strong forward over a strong defender, since they are more noticeable on the ice. McDonagh impressed me enough to want to put him at the top. Everything I've heard about Erixon has also wanted me to put him at the top.

With that said, MZA now knows what he is dealing with. I don't think anyone believes he'll be a better player than Stepan, so he will also need more time to adjust. I don't think people should get all hyped up about McIlrath right now, while he is still at least 2 years away from being on the team. Also, I don't believe that McIlrath will be a better NHLer than MZA. His toughness could be of great value to this team, but I believe MZA, after seeing him put up half a point a game, can become a 60 point winger.
By sexy pick do you mean the most physically gifted prospect this franchise has drafted since Alex Kovalev, and the one with most potential upside of any prospect we currently have? If so, then yes, I voted Kreider as the "sexy pick".

Old
06-30-2011, 01:35 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

I think for the next 5 rounds at least, there will be very close voting.

Old
06-30-2011, 01:47 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
By sexy pick do you mean the most physically gifted prospect this franchise has drafted since Alex Kovalev, and the one with most potential upside of any prospect we currently have? If so, then yes, I voted Kreider as the "sexy pick".
I would say that several Ranger draftees were more talented than Kreider. Look at Marc Savard. He was known as a tremendous offensive talent when he was drafted. Even Dube was probably more offensively talented than Kreider, and he would have had a good NHL career had he played before the first lockout or after the second one. The intra-lockout era was terrible for players like Dube.

Brendl was also very talented, just lazy. You talk about a guy who had 73 goals in 68 games as a 17-year-old.

Even among our current crop of players, I would say that Thomas has a higher upside than Kreider, he's just a much higher risk. But to me, Thomas has star potential whereas Kreider has the potential to be another Dubinsky-quality (not style) borderline 1-2 line wing.

Last edited by Beacon: 06-30-2011 at 02:16 PM.
Old
06-30-2011, 01:53 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerEsq View Post
I would say that several Ranger draftees were more talented than Kreider. Look at Marc Savard. He was known as a tremendous offensive talent when he was drafted. Even Dube was probably more offensively talented than Kreider, and he would have had a good NHL career had he played before the first lockout or after the second one. The intra-lockout era was terrible for players like Dube.

Brendl was also very talented, just lazy. You talk about a guy who had 73 goals in 68 games as a 17-year-old.

Even among our current crop of players, I would say that Thomas has a higher upside than Kreider, he's just a much higher risk. But to me, Thomas has star potential whereas Kreider has the potential to be another Dubinsky-quality (not style) borderline 1-2 line wing.

Among our current prospects,
No, again, no one of the players you've mentioned has the physical gifts that Kreider has. 6'2", 215 already with his skating ability, strength and already an NHL caliber shot. Pavel Brendl wasn't an athlete. Kreider is an athlete. Kreider's built like he could play any sport he wanted. You'd have to go back to Kovalev with this kind of athletic ability.

Old
06-30-2011, 02:46 PM
mrjimmyg89
'13-'14 East Champs

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
The reason why Kreider is a sexy pick, is because McDonagh and Erixon will not impress with their athleticism or their offensive capabilities. McDonagh is a very good skater, but Kreider is a better skater. McDonagh and Erixon are more two way defenders that can pitch in 30-35 points, but be rock solid on defense. If Kreider isn't a top line player, he could become a 3rd liner with great speed and a solid forechecker, but he'd have to work on his defense.

Maybe I'm just looking at it differently than most people and value a strong defense model over having the explosive offense. I know you can have balance in both, but without a strong defense, you'll be in a lot more trouble.

Old
06-30-2011, 02:47 PM
JeffMangum
A Love Supreme

vCash: 300
I just broke the tie between Zucc and McI.

Zucc, add Vtank.

#TannerGlass2014
SEEN YOUR VIDEO!
#SheWentToHarvard
Old
06-30-2011, 02:53 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Tough choice. Im going with McIlrath because of the positive feedback im hearing from developmental camp.

Old
06-30-2011, 03:07 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Zuccarello. McIlrath next up for me.

Add Kundratek.

It's just pain.
Old
06-30-2011, 03:08 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Zuccarello came back charging to tie McIlrath with 45 votes each. It looks like one of those rounds where we need to go into a tie-breaker. I'll give it a few more hours to see if someone can take a real lead (5%+), but it looks doubtful right now.

Old
06-30-2011, 03:10 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
Tough choice. Im going with McIlrath because of the positive feedback im hearing from developmental camp.

Do you have a link to any article/blog talking about his positive developmental camp?

Closed Thread