HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Rangers Prospect Poll: #5

View Poll Results: Who is the #5 Rangers prospect?
Jesper Fasth 1 0.87%
Carl Hagelin 9 7.83%
Oscar Lindberg 0 0%
Mats Zuccarello 49 42.61%
Dylan Mcilrath 51 44.35%
J.T. Miller 5 4.35%
Voters: 115. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-30-2011, 08:42 AM
  #26
Chief
Registered User
 
Chief's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: NY, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 1,811
vCash: 500
McIlrath for me. I'm more confident in him having a greater NHL impact than any of the others.

+ V-Tank

Chief is offline  
Old
06-30-2011, 08:55 AM
  #27
Jumbo*
TARGET: ACQUIRED
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 16,720
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnaby View Post
Zucc's not talented enough to get by his size... Mcilrath or Hagelin...
Yea because scoring 23 points in 42 games in his rookie year just screams that he won't be able to get by with his size

Jumbo* is offline  
Old
06-30-2011, 09:31 AM
  #28
Radek27
Registered User
 
Radek27's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 5,118
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Radek27
Voted MZA

Add V-Tank

Radek27 is offline  
Old
06-30-2011, 10:13 AM
  #29
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller
 
vipernsx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Country: United States
Posts: 6,290
vCash: 566
MZA, Add Teck.


Things are going to be wide open from here on out.

vipernsx is offline  
Old
06-30-2011, 10:28 AM
  #30
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash
 
BlueshirtBlitz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: New York
Posts: 18,480
vCash: 500
Gonna go MZA, then Mac.

MZA showed flashes of last year, and when he wasn't doing that he was playing a solid game. I think he can be a 2nd line NHL talent.

Add Vtank.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline  
Old
06-30-2011, 11:26 AM
  #31
E-Train
Registered User
 
E-Train's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Long Island
Posts: 1,253
vCash: 500
McIlrath- add Vtank.

E-Train is offline  
Old
06-30-2011, 12:04 PM
  #32
Inferno
HFB Partner
 
Inferno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Atlanta, GA
Country: United States
Posts: 19,786
vCash: 500
Zuccarello-Aasen, add Valentenko

Inferno is offline  
Old
06-30-2011, 12:06 PM
  #33
NYRFAN218
Mac Truck
 
NYRFAN218's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 11,752
vCash: 500
McIlrath, add V-Tank.

NYRFAN218 is offline  
Old
06-30-2011, 12:11 PM
  #34
clmetsfan
Registered User
 
clmetsfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 3,780
vCash: 500
McIlrath. Add Bourque.

clmetsfan is offline  
Old
06-30-2011, 12:11 PM
  #35
Tawnos
Moderator
BoH Mod Only
 
Tawnos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Charlotte, NC
Country: United States
Posts: 11,161
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Healthy Scratch View Post
Yea because scoring 23 points in 42 games in his rookie year just screams that he won't be able to get by with his size
Because 42 games isn't enough of a sample size to really know. I know that I saw a guy who was less effective towards the end of the season than he was when he first got to the team. To me, that screams that his size is going to be an issue.

We will see, because it is only a very small sample... but right now I consider McIlrath a better prospect.

Tawnos is online now  
Old
06-30-2011, 12:16 PM
  #36
mrjimmyg89
'13-'14 East Champs
 
mrjimmyg89's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 2,826
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawnos View Post
Because 42 games isn't enough of a sample size to really know. I know that I saw a guy who was less effective towards the end of the season than he was when he first got to the team. To me, that screams that his size is going to be an issue.

We will see, because it is only a very small sample... but right now I consider McIlrath a better prospect.
No, it screams that his conditioning was an issue, as well as him adjusting to the NHL game. He's never played a full season with all the physicality. Stepan wore down at the end of the season, but you don't see anyone out there saying he won't make it cause he wasn't as good at the end of the season.

And those 42 games McIlrath played in the NHL last season were very impressive

mrjimmyg89 is offline  
Old
06-30-2011, 12:23 PM
  #37
Tawnos
Moderator
BoH Mod Only
 
Tawnos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Charlotte, NC
Country: United States
Posts: 11,161
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjimmyg89 View Post
No, it screams that his conditioning was an issue, as well as him adjusting to the NHL game. He's never played a full season with all the physicality. Stepan wore down at the end of the season, but you don't see anyone out there saying he won't make it cause he wasn't as good at the end of the season.

And those 42 games McIlrath played in the NHL last season were very impressive
I don't really agree with the conditioning thing. First of all, Stepan played twice as many games (100% more) against professionals than he did against college players while MZA played 23 more games (41% more) against professionals as he did against other, lesser, professionals. So they're not really apples to apples. Secondly, my observations of the way MZAs season ended mean more to me than meaningless player comparisons. Thirdly, Stepan still found a way to be effective despite being worn down. If that's MZA's problem, he did not do as good of a job with it.

And the fact that MZA has played in the NHL doesn't make him a better prospect than McIlrath. Why did the majority of people voting choose Kreider over McDonagh?

Tawnos is online now  
Old
06-30-2011, 12:31 PM
  #38
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!
 
n8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: san francisco
Country: United States
Posts: 7,365
vCash: 500
the NHL player, MZA. Add Vtank!

n8 is offline  
Old
06-30-2011, 12:46 PM
  #39
mrjimmyg89
'13-'14 East Champs
 
mrjimmyg89's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 2,826
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawnos View Post
I don't really agree with the conditioning thing. First of all, Stepan played twice as many games (100% more) against professionals than he did against college players while MZA played 23 more games (41% more) against professionals as he did against other, lesser, professionals. So they're not really apples to apples. Secondly, my observations of the way MZAs season ended mean more to me than meaningless player comparisons. Thirdly, Stepan still found a way to be effective despite being worn down. If that's MZA's problem, he did not do as good of a job with it.

And the fact that MZA has played in the NHL doesn't make him a better prospect than McIlrath. Why did the majority of people voting choose Kreider over McDonagh?
I didn't. I voted for Erixon actually. It was a toss up for me between McDonagh and Erixon, but I chose him because he played a full season in Europe against men and was a main piece in his team winning a championship. McDonagh was a close 2nd, and Kreider was 3rd because even though he still has amazing potential, he isn't going to be in the NHL or AHL this season, which I believe will hinder his progress.

The majority voted Kreider because he's been the sexy pick for top prospect. More often than not, people value a strong forward over a strong defender, since they are more noticeable on the ice. McDonagh impressed me enough to want to put him at the top. Everything I've heard about Erixon has also wanted me to put him at the top.

With that said, MZA now knows what he is dealing with. I don't think anyone believes he'll be a better player than Stepan, so he will also need more time to adjust. I don't think people should get all hyped up about McIlrath right now, while he is still at least 2 years away from being on the team. Also, I don't believe that McIlrath will be a better NHLer than MZA. His toughness could be of great value to this team, but I believe MZA, after seeing him put up half a point a game, can become a 60 point winger.

mrjimmyg89 is offline  
Old
06-30-2011, 01:32 PM
  #40
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors
 
Beacon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 7,899
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjimmyg89 View Post
The majority voted Kreider because he's been the sexy pick for top prospect. More often than not, people value a strong forward over a strong defender, since they are more noticeable on the ice.

It's also that the team has a greater need for a scoring forward than a two-way defenseman. If Erixon and McDonagh become a middling 4-5 defensemen, they are still useful and the Rangers still have a terrific set of blueliners.

But if Kreider becomes nothing more than a middling 2-3 liner like Wolski, the team is in trouble. The Rangers need Kreider (or Thomas) to succeed more than they need McDonagh or Erixon to succeed, and so fans are voting with their hope.

Beacon is online now  
Old
06-30-2011, 01:33 PM
  #41
jas
Unsatisfied
 
jas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: NJ
Posts: 12,981
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjimmyg89 View Post
I didn't. I voted for Erixon actually. It was a toss up for me between McDonagh and Erixon, but I chose him because he played a full season in Europe against men and was a main piece in his team winning a championship. McDonagh was a close 2nd, and Kreider was 3rd because even though he still has amazing potential, he isn't going to be in the NHL or AHL this season, which I believe will hinder his progress.

The majority voted Kreider because he's been the sexy pick for top prospect. More often than not, people value a strong forward over a strong defender, since they are more noticeable on the ice. McDonagh impressed me enough to want to put him at the top. Everything I've heard about Erixon has also wanted me to put him at the top.

With that said, MZA now knows what he is dealing with. I don't think anyone believes he'll be a better player than Stepan, so he will also need more time to adjust. I don't think people should get all hyped up about McIlrath right now, while he is still at least 2 years away from being on the team. Also, I don't believe that McIlrath will be a better NHLer than MZA. His toughness could be of great value to this team, but I believe MZA, after seeing him put up half a point a game, can become a 60 point winger.
By sexy pick do you mean the most physically gifted prospect this franchise has drafted since Alex Kovalev, and the one with most potential upside of any prospect we currently have? If so, then yes, I voted Kreider as the "sexy pick".

jas is offline  
Old
06-30-2011, 01:35 PM
  #42
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors
 
Beacon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 7,899
vCash: 500
I think for the next 5 rounds at least, there will be very close voting.

Beacon is online now  
Old
06-30-2011, 01:47 PM
  #43
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors
 
Beacon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 7,899
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
By sexy pick do you mean the most physically gifted prospect this franchise has drafted since Alex Kovalev, and the one with most potential upside of any prospect we currently have? If so, then yes, I voted Kreider as the "sexy pick".
I would say that several Ranger draftees were more talented than Kreider. Look at Marc Savard. He was known as a tremendous offensive talent when he was drafted. Even Dube was probably more offensively talented than Kreider, and he would have had a good NHL career had he played before the first lockout or after the second one. The intra-lockout era was terrible for players like Dube.

Brendl was also very talented, just lazy. You talk about a guy who had 73 goals in 68 games as a 17-year-old.

Even among our current crop of players, I would say that Thomas has a higher upside than Kreider, he's just a much higher risk. But to me, Thomas has star potential whereas Kreider has the potential to be another Dubinsky-quality (not style) borderline 1-2 line wing.


Last edited by Beacon: 06-30-2011 at 02:16 PM.
Beacon is online now  
Old
06-30-2011, 01:53 PM
  #44
jas
Unsatisfied
 
jas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: NJ
Posts: 12,981
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerEsq View Post
I would say that several Ranger draftees were more talented than Kreider. Look at Marc Savard. He was known as a tremendous offensive talent when he was drafted. Even Dube was probably more offensively talented than Kreider, and he would have had a good NHL career had he played before the first lockout or after the second one. The intra-lockout era was terrible for players like Dube.

Brendl was also very talented, just lazy. You talk about a guy who had 73 goals in 68 games as a 17-year-old.

Even among our current crop of players, I would say that Thomas has a higher upside than Kreider, he's just a much higher risk. But to me, Thomas has star potential whereas Kreider has the potential to be another Dubinsky-quality (not style) borderline 1-2 line wing.

Among our current prospects,
No, again, no one of the players you've mentioned has the physical gifts that Kreider has. 6'2", 215 already with his skating ability, strength and already an NHL caliber shot. Pavel Brendl wasn't an athlete. Kreider is an athlete. Kreider's built like he could play any sport he wanted. You'd have to go back to Kovalev with this kind of athletic ability.

jas is offline  
Old
06-30-2011, 02:46 PM
  #45
mrjimmyg89
'13-'14 East Champs
 
mrjimmyg89's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 2,826
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
By sexy pick do you mean the most physically gifted prospect this franchise has drafted since Alex Kovalev, and the one with most potential upside of any prospect we currently have? If so, then yes, I voted Kreider as the "sexy pick".
The reason why Kreider is a sexy pick, is because McDonagh and Erixon will not impress with their athleticism or their offensive capabilities. McDonagh is a very good skater, but Kreider is a better skater. McDonagh and Erixon are more two way defenders that can pitch in 30-35 points, but be rock solid on defense. If Kreider isn't a top line player, he could become a 3rd liner with great speed and a solid forechecker, but he'd have to work on his defense.

Maybe I'm just looking at it differently than most people and value a strong defense model over having the explosive offense. I know you can have balance in both, but without a strong defense, you'll be in a lot more trouble.

mrjimmyg89 is offline  
Old
06-30-2011, 02:47 PM
  #46
JeffMangum
A Love Supreme
 
JeffMangum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Listening to music
Country: United States
Posts: 54,540
vCash: 300
I just broke the tie between Zucc and McI.

Zucc, add Vtank.

__________________

#TannerGlass2014
SEEN YOUR VIDEO!
#SheWentToHarvard
JeffMangum is offline  
Old
06-30-2011, 02:53 PM
  #47
HockeyBasedNYC
Registered User
 
HockeyBasedNYC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Here
Country: United States
Posts: 12,853
vCash: 500
Tough choice. Im going with McIlrath because of the positive feedback im hearing from developmental camp.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline  
Old
06-30-2011, 03:07 PM
  #48
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him
 
nyr2k2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Washington, DC
Country: United States
Posts: 22,667
vCash: 500
Awards:
Zuccarello. McIlrath next up for me.

Add Kundratek.

__________________

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline  
Old
06-30-2011, 03:08 PM
  #49
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors
 
Beacon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 7,899
vCash: 500
Zuccarello came back charging to tie McIlrath with 45 votes each. It looks like one of those rounds where we need to go into a tie-breaker. I'll give it a few more hours to see if someone can take a real lead (5%+), but it looks doubtful right now.

Beacon is online now  
Old
06-30-2011, 03:10 PM
  #50
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors
 
Beacon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 7,899
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
Tough choice. Im going with McIlrath because of the positive feedback im hearing from developmental camp.

Do you have a link to any article/blog talking about his positive developmental camp?

Beacon is online now  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:28 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.