HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

The Official Nashville Predators Prospect Camp Thread

Old
06-29-2011, 01:28 PM
Seth Lake

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
Originally Posted by gopreds9 View Post
Who the heck is Champagne? I had never heard of this guy, but he was arguably the best forward on team Silver (the worse prospects)
Check out the 2011 Predators Prospect Camp preview of the forwards attending this week:

http://mobile.ontheforecheck.com/201...-camp-forwards

There's one available for the defensemen and goaltender too:

http://mobile.ontheforecheck.com/201...ies-defensemen

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 01:38 PM
utmfisher19

Send a message via AIM to utmfisher19 Send a message via MSN to utmfisher19 Send a message via Yahoo to utmfisher19
To anyone that hasn't been to a development camp, they run a bunch of drills very quickly (usually 2 drills at once). So it is tough to watch everything that happens and get a real good read/impression on any of the players. So while others may come away with something completely different than what I saw, this is what I came away with:

They did skating drills to start out, followed by board drills (getting the puck off of the boards for break-out passes), goalies leaving the pucks for the dmen and they look to break-out, various shooting/passing/skating drills, puck possession/deke drills, forwards breaking out and getting the puck to your point drills, 2-on-1, 2-on-2, and 3-on-2 drills.

Taylor Beck and Michael Latta: Both seemed to stand out a bit from everyone else there. They didn't stand out as significantly as I expected or hoped, but they definitely seemed to have it more "all-together" than any of the other forwards that I saw today. Both used their size well against the boards and both were great skaters for being considered power forwards.

Gabriel Bourque: very shifty speedster who possesses a good wrist shot. While at time he was erratic with his shot, he still changed the angle of his shot and had quite a few toe-drags in his repertoire. To me, he was the best sniper out there out of the whole group.

Zach Budish: BIG guy. He had a couple of great tip ins and looked really comfortable in front of the net. Outside of that, I didn't notice much else about his game other than that he seemed really slow.

Patrick Cehlin: Dude can flat out fly. By far the fastest guy out there for us today. He possesses a pretty good shot with a very quick release. He needs to sharpen his skating skills as I did see him fall a few times while trying to make quick turns, stops, etc. There were also a few times where he was hesitant in his decision to pass/shoot, but you can definitely tell that there is potential. He impressed me the 2nd most out there today.

David Elsner: He has an impressive shot, but he really lacked in his passing a few times. On a few 2-on-1, 2-on-2, and 3-on-2 drills, he really slipped up bringing the puck into the zone causing a turnover. He used his body well a few times in front of the net.

Ryan Flynn: Relatively quick release on his shot, but didn't notice much else other than him and Foss were being physical with each other a few times in front of the net.

Jack MacLellan: A lot of guys seemed to really smiling and enjoying being out there along-side this guy. He had some pretty slick passes and flashed some decent stick moves in front of the net in tight areas.

Craig Smith: This is the guy I was impressed with the most. The guy reads the plays well, has quick hands, great passer, and has equally as good of a shot. He was quick on his feet, seems like he has a good top-speed, very balanced, and scored a few times on what I consider to be the best shots of the session. While I'm not sure his ceiling is as high as Beck and Latta, he is as well-rounded as those individuals.

Austin Watson: He looked taller than 6'4" to me. Maybe it is his long legs, but you can tell he is a little rough around the edges. He has good possession skills (getting pucks off the boards and starting the break-out, etc) and has good speed for his height, but didn't notice much else out there.

(I didn't pay much attention to any other forwards out there. Nor did I pay any attention at all to any of the goalies, sorry.)

Mattias Ekholm: You could really tell when him and Foss were out there together. They were taking the body more than anyone else. Ekholm is very active with his stick and does well in and around the net.

Ryan Ellis: While he isn't big, he is good at shielding opponents around the boards or to gather possession off of a rebound. He has an incredible shot. And something I noticed, he was vocal. He REALLY helped out a lot of the younger dmen in drills. I was impressed by how he was leading while out on the ice. There were MANY times he would break up a 2-on-1 or 3-on-2 by making the correct read and stopping the play before it even develops (I'd say he was the best at it). Mark him down as the person that most impressed me on the blueline.

Jeff Foss: Used his body quite a bit. Never used it too much though. He was usually in good position, but did get backdoored a few times on 3-on-2 drills.

Roman Josi: The guy can flat out skate. It isn't that he is incredibly fast or quick, he is just so smooth. And the times that there were 50/50 pucks, he came away with it 90% of the time. He has great hands, is a good passer, and was very effective at making break-out passes.

Simon Karlsson: You could tell he was young. He definitely has some skills, but there were a few times where he brain was moving faster than his feet/hands. Tough to make a good read on him as he still needs some developing to do before he can make a good impression.

Garrett Noonan: Solid. That is all I noticed. Was very solid out there. Very Mark Eaton like in terms you forget he was part of a play because he didn't do anything wrong, nor was he ever flashy.

Hope this helped anyone get a feel for how it was if you couldn't attend.

utmfisher19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 02:09 PM
Legionnaire11

Thanks for the great recap Fish!

Legionnaire11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 02:11 PM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

Great updates...Thanks!

AtlantaWhaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 02:17 PM
Top 6 Spaling

Anyone know what's up with Salomaakki? He was on the roster, but not the ice?

Top 6 Spaling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 02:19 PM
glenngineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pattypred View Post
Oh, me too!! I'll see you there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlsg View Post
From what I saw last year in pre season and camp Ellis also needs to add about 15 lbs, maybe 20.
Maybe, maybe not. He knows how to use his lack of size to shield other players from the puck. I really noticed how he would stick his butt out to shield the puck from other players and he did it quite effectively. It initiates contact and gives him a moment to get rid of the puck quickly, which he is very good at.

I really enjoyed watching Ellis, Josi, Beck, Latta, Bourque, Smith, Watson and Cehlin today. We have some good guys coming up through the system. I was thinking of the top two pairings that will probably be in Milwaukee this year and it should be Ellis and Josi with Ekholm and Foss behind them. Foss to me is a dark horse. He's solid defensively and could become a decent option on the third pairing down the line if we need a defensive defenseman back there.

As far as Budish goes, yeah, he's slow right now. He's not even a year removed from ACL surgery. He wasn't making sharp cuts yet as he's not sure of his knee. I wouldn't write him off just yet. He's got soft hands and a good accurate shot. Big guys don't have to be fast, they have to be able to shield the puck with their size and if he can do that, he can set up in front of the net and do some damage.

glenngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 02:33 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

I'll agre that Beck and Latta really stood out, I thought Watson looked good too.
I'll also add that Cehlin and a C. Smith ? also stood out skating wise.
Bourque is a player.

Pickard, is awful.

triggrman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 02:42 PM
BourqueBourqueBork

I went and watched for a bit today...with so much going on, it's really hard to key in on who is looking the best. Everyone seemed to have their ups and downs, but I really liked what I saw skating-wise with Taylor Beck and Craig Smith...Ellis looked pretty sharp, too, and has strong passing skills and an accurate shot.

Among the silver/grey shirts, I liked the skating of Anthony Bitetto. Josh Shalla actually wasn't too bad either...for some reason, I was expecting him to be slower.

BourqueBourqueBork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 07:04 PM
jlsg

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenngineer View Post
Maybe, maybe not. He knows how to use his lack of size to shield other players from the puck. I really noticed how he would stick his butt out to shield the puck from other players and he did it quite effectively. It initiates contact and gives him a moment to get rid of the puck quickly, which he is very good at.
I'm sorry but Ellis's butt doesn't stand a chance against some of the bigger NHL forwards. Watching him in pre season last year he got pushed around by experienced players. He's smart with the puck, real smart. But he needs to have the extra weight.

jlsg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 07:17 PM
Tootoo

Great info Fisher!

Tootoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 07:25 PM
BourqueBourqueBork

Here are a couple of shots I took at the Sportsplex...

Grey/silver shirts working on skating drills.

I believe this is from one of the 3-man drills.

Puck...drifting...towards...net.....NOOOOOOOOOOOOO OO!!!!!

By my estimation, there were about 75-100 spectators there, not including staff. Not too bad for a Wednesday a little before noon.

BourqueBourqueBork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2011, 01:52 PM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

Day 3 pics are up.

https://www.facebook.com/kara.g.will...700.6245252557

AtlantaWhaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2011, 02:04 PM
Top 6 Spaling

Jeff Foss has been a wonderful surprise. he has looked very solid on both ends all camp. Wasn't expecting that at all.

Nick Oliver has some wheels.

Now on to what I actually know....goalies!

Chet Pickard still has attitude issues. There were numerous times today when he simply didnt butterfly on a shot five hole and it went stright through, easy 5 hole goal. He needs to get his head on straight and start working his ass off if he wants to make the NHL. He was also quite a net-hog today, taking almost no time off before kicking Smith or Hellberg out of the net. Seems like his issues are psycological, not physical. FYI- Mitch Korn has said many a time goaltending is 1/3 physical, 1/3 mental, and 1/3 emotional. Pickard is great physically, fine mental, but terrible emotionally.

Jeremy Smith has the reflexes, but he needs some work. He wasn't very good at odd angle shots and wraparounds. He made mental mistakes in positioning and save selection. The other thing that stuck out to me was wasted movement. When he moves side to side, his arms flail like crazy. This wasted energy is preventing him from moving as fast as possible, plus gets his arms out of position. If he can fix that problem and up his focus, he'll be a solid NHL back-up. With some work, I like this kid. He's good physically and emotionally, needs mental work.

Magnus Hellberg is a different case entirely. I'm trying to avoid making judgements of his physical game because of his gear. His reflexes look very good, as does his positioning. He didn't make Smith's mental errors, nor did he show Pickard's lack of work ethic. My main concern for his is endurance. He seemed worn out both days after 15 minutes of playing. That is not a good sign at all. Hopefully he will get tougher in that regard. If I had to choose a goalie with the best potential, it would be him. I will wait to say he is the current best goalie in the system until I see him in his real gear. He still looks very uncomfortbale.

I'm no expert, but those are my opinions. I'm sure others will disagree. Prospect Camp is chaos. It's tough to make assessments.

Old
06-30-2011, 02:07 PM
Shea Weber

Quote:
Mods- feel free to merge if this is just Prospect Updates, but I felt it merited a new thread.

CAMP ROSTER

ON ICE SESSIONS

WEDNESDAY, June 29 10:00 a.m.-12:00 p.m.
THURSDAY, June 30 10:00 a.m.-12:00 p.m.
SATURDAY, July 2 10:00 a.m.-12:00 p.m.
SUNDAY, July 3 2:00 p.m.-4:00 p.m

Who is going to this? I know I'll be there.
Centennial Sportsplex, yes?

Shea Weber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2011, 02:11 PM
Top 6 Spaling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shea Weber View Post
Centennial Sportsplex, yes?
yessir

Old
06-30-2011, 02:41 PM
Preds Partisan
Nothing

Quote:
Jeff Foss has been a wonderful surprise. he has looked very solid on both ends all camp. Wasn't expecting that at all.
That's good to hear. I think BFC and I were about the only two to see much of him with RPI and we agreed he could be a sleeper.

Preds Partisan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2011, 05:04 PM
kakemono

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlsg View Post
I'm sorry but Ellis's butt doesn't stand a chance against some of the bigger NHL forwards. Watching him in pre season last year he got pushed around by experienced players. He's smart with the puck, real smart. But he needs to have the extra weight.
Last year in our preseason game, it was laughable how bad he got manhandled. That said, he threw his body around a lot and played physical best he could.

Ellis is a worker. He does everything right to put himself in a position to succeed. I think he plays for the Preds this year - at least a game or two.

kakemono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2011, 05:34 PM
OpenWheel

Which is why it bugged me when Poile kept saying if Ellis was three inches taller he'd have been a top five pick. Well David, he isn't three inches taller. But, they picked him for scoring and running a powerplay. I can't wait to see how well he does this year in Milwaukee. Hoping for great things. If he can keep the points production up, and so far he appears to have a chance to, who cares if he's a midget.

What about his speed? Past years people used to say he was too slow for such a small guy, that he'd need to be much swifter. (He didn't look too slow to me at the junior worlds, although not fast either.) Some reviews from camp say he's a good skater. Does this mean he improved his speed?

Last edited by OpenWheel: 06-30-2011 at 05:45 PM.
OpenWheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2011, 06:59 PM
ilockitdown

Send a message via Skype™ to ilockitdown
Hey can anyone tell me how Valentine has been doing out there ?

ilockitdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2011, 01:24 AM
flamebird

update on Balisy?

flamebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2011, 04:41 PM
thomast

Any updates on lajunen?

thomast is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2011, 11:11 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Quote:
Originally Posted by utmfisher19 View Post

Garrett Noonan: Solid. That is all I noticed. Was very solid out there. Very Mark Eaton like in terms you forget he was part of a play because he didn't do anything wrong, nor was he ever flashy.
Didn't know if there was a better place to put this, but as a BU fan Noonan was a revelation for us last year--at times he was better than fellow freshman and highly touted 2nd rounder Adam Clendening. Like you said, solid pretty much describes his game. I think he still has more offensive potential to flesh out, but you guys got a good gem here.

New Sabres Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2011, 11:27 PM
golfmade
Go Preds Go

Thanks for the information and photos everyone.

golfmade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2011, 11:43 PM
Top 6 Spaling

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfmade View Post
Thanks for the information and photos everyone.
Wait, why aren't you there?

Old
07-01-2011, 11:50 PM
cleangene

Will the Saturday session begin with, "Ladies and Gentlemen...YOUR 2011-12 NASHVILLE PREDATORS!!!!!!!!!!" ?

cleangene is offline   Reply With Quote