HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > The AHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The AHL Discuss the American Hockey League; its players, teams, and games.

Atlanta?

Old
06-26-2011, 07:42 PM
eggy2486
Hitman #6

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLfan25 View Post
Actually that is not true about the colleges. I'm pretty sure UGA, Tech and Kennesaw each have a team. Granted nobody but the students probably knows this but that is a different story. As to Atlanta being able to support an AHL team, well we did support an IHL team before getting the Thrashers and that team was in the playoffs each year it was here and won the Turner cup in its second year.
Good point, I should have said there's no NCAA teams, club hockey doesn't really draw fans outside of girlfriends and a couple of the fellas :p

eggy2486 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2011, 02:03 PM
Big Z Man 1990

Return of Thrashers in AHL?

If the NHL expands to like KC, Houston, or Seattle (or any combination of the three), Atlanta Spirit could get an AHL team. They still own the rights to the "Thrashers" name, so it is possible that the Thrashers might return as an AHL team.

Big Z Man 1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2011, 03:27 PM
SFTC Addict
Not Here To Be Liked

Atlanta Spirit wants nothing to do with Hockey.

But i'll bite, what is everyone's newfound affection for Seattle joining the NHL?!

SFTC Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2011, 04:51 PM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

vCash: 1
If the Atlanta Spirit are involved in a hockey team at any level in Atlanta, Thrashers fans will probably boycott the hell out of it until it dies and goes away.

They want hockey back, but they freaking hate ASG with a passion.

No Fun Shogun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2011, 04:58 PM
CHRDANHUTCH

Send a message via AIM to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via MSN to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via Yahoo to CHRDANHUTCH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Z Man 1990 View Post
If the NHL expands to like KC, Houston, or Seattle (or any combination of the three), Atlanta Spirit could get an AHL team. They still own the rights to the "Thrashers" name, so it is possible that the Thrashers might return as an AHL team.
not going to happen bc the AHL no longer gives out expansion franchises once the 1 to 1 parent to affiliate model has been established

CHRDANHUTCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2011, 05:11 PM
SFTC Addict
Not Here To Be Liked

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHRDANHUTCH View Post
not going to happen bc the AHL no longer gives out expansion franchises once the 1 to 1 parent to affiliate model has been established
Doesn't mean a franchise couldn't relocate Hutchie. Those happen almost every year. Don't think it will in this short time frame but maybe next summer something could happen.

Anyway, i'd rather see a team return as the....ATLANTA KNIGHTS!

Old
06-30-2011, 05:27 PM
HisIceness
Michal Jordan

Said it before and I'll repeat it again, I'd love to have an Atlanta AHL team, instant rivalry with Charlotte, and Atlanta has one of the worlds largest airport hubs so teams that have a chance to fly can fly to Atlanta easily.

Call them whatever, Thrashers, Knights, Fire, Thunder, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Men Rule View Post
But i'll bite, what is everyone's newfound affection for Seattle joining the NHL?!
My guess it's because Seattle was the first American city to have a team win the Cup.

HisIceness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2011, 06:53 PM
SFTC Addict
Not Here To Be Liked

Quote:
Originally Posted by HisIceness View Post
Said it before and I'll repeat it again, I'd love to have an Atlanta AHL team, instant rivalry with Charlotte, and Atlanta has one of the worlds largest airport hubs so teams that have a chance to fly can fly to Atlanta easily.

Call them whatever, Thrashers, Knights, Fire, Thunder, etc.

My guess it's because Seattle was the first American city to have a team win the Cup.
The Atlanta airport is also one of the worst known to man, not disagreeing about the size.

Either thats a nice form of sarcasm or you are talking about the Juniors Memorial Cup? Those chowderheads broke it, lol. Seattle can't even support the Mariners, they have no legit arena and no need to mention the SuperSonics.

Old
06-30-2011, 09:46 PM
adsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Z Man 1990 View Post
The NHL owns the rights to all defunct NHL team names and logos. That is why the Bridgeport Soundtigers became the Whale, not the Whalers, last season. They couldn't even be the Whalers in the AHL, let alone the NHL, without NHL consent.

I am surprised that nobody else noticed this error.

adsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2011, 09:48 PM
AdmiralsFan24

Send a message via AIM to AdmiralsFan24
The Sound Tigers are still the Sound Tigers. The Hartford Wolfpack changed their name to the Whale.

AdmiralsFan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2011, 10:07 PM
adsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmiralsFan24 View Post
The Sound Tigers are still the Sound Tigers. The Hartford Wolfpack changed their name to the Whale.
Thanks! At least I got the right state. I am in favor of eliminating all Wolf or Wolves names from hockey! They should have become the Admirals, there should be one in every division.

Old
06-30-2011, 10:15 PM
SFTC Addict
Not Here To Be Liked

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmiralsFan24 View Post
Thats because Howard Baldwin has some stupid idea that the Hartford Whalers will one day return...

Old
06-30-2011, 10:31 PM
adsfan

Quote:
Thats because Howard Baldwin has some stupid idea that the Hartford Whalers will one day return...
Do you think Baldwin is senile?

Old
06-30-2011, 10:44 PM
SFTC Addict
Not Here To Be Liked

Quote:
Originally Posted by adsfan View Post
Do you think Baldwin is senile?
Most ancient people tend to be....lol

Old
06-30-2011, 11:02 PM
CHRDANHUTCH

Send a message via AIM to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via MSN to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via Yahoo to CHRDANHUTCH
Quote:
Doesn't mean a franchise couldn't relocate Hutchie. Those happen almost every year. Don't think it will in this short time frame but maybe next summer something could happen.

Anyway, i'd rather see a team return as the....ATLANTA KNIGHTS!
you forget, GMR, all the existing contracts announced this past week and are also previously under contract preclude any franchise from relocation now that the time to announce such moves has expired....

remember the last true AHL Expansion FRANCHISE not from either expansion (the IHL-6) or a pre-arranged deal (WOR-SPR) given out was Manchester.

Old
07-13-2011, 01:21 PM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Fun Shogun View Post
If the Atlanta Spirit are involved in a hockey team at any level in Atlanta, Thrashers fans will probably boycott the hell out of it until it dies and goes away.

They want hockey back, but they freaking hate ASG with a passion.
This is correct. ASG has since admitted to not knowing about, or caring about (other than $$) hockey. In return, fans wish these clowns would go bankrupt and be seen begging for change under an overpass near Turner Field.

AtlantaWhaler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 02:28 PM
Winnipeg Jet
Phoenix Coyote

Quote:
Originally Posted by HisIceness View Post
Also, Seattle lost the SuperSonics (NBA). The city thinks of itself as a major city, which it is, and an NHL team would go a long way to restoring some pride. There are already a number of WHL teams in Washington State, and the Canucks would love a rival that's within driving distance.

Winnipeg Jet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 03:59 PM
CHRDANHUTCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vosie View Post
Also, Seattle lost the SuperSonics (NBA). The city thinks of itself as a major city, which it is, and an NHL team would go a long way to restoring some pride. There are already a number of WHL teams in Washington State, and the Canucks would love a rival that's within driving distance.
what has the State of Washington done in this economic era to attract business, not drive it away..... Show me some proof that Seattle is an NHL MARKET

Old
07-13-2011, 04:15 PM
SFTC Addict
Not Here To Be Liked

Quote:
what has the State of Washington done in this economic era to attract business, not drive it away..... Show me some proof that Seattle is an NHL MARKET

I almost spit Mountain Dew all over my computer screen from laughing so hard at Hutch of all people demanding proof be shown.

Old
07-13-2011, 04:30 PM
garnetpalmetto
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
you forget, GMR, all the existing contracts announced this past week and are also previously under contract preclude any franchise from relocation now that the time to announce such moves has expired....

remember the last true AHL Expansion FRANCHISE not from either expansion (the IHL-6) or a pre-arranged deal (WOR-SPR) given out was Manchester.

True but that doesn't mean it couldn't happen sometime next season either - it seems there's always one or two AHL ownerships looking to sell each season and one or two cases of a team in imminent danger with their arena deal. Were something to happen in Gwinnett, their arena can seat 11,500. That's already bigger than the respective barns of over half the league (Abbotsford, Adirondack, Binghamton, Bridgeport, Grand Rapids, Hershey, Manchester, Norfolk, Peoria, Portland, Rochester, Rockford, Springfield, St. John's, Syracuse, Texas, Toronto, and Wilkes-Barre/Scranton to be exact).

Quote:
Your proposing for an AHL Team there, correct? I don't think it would work if you went the Atlanta route with that. Gwinnett and Atlanta aren't even in the same county. I doubt your big city folk of Atlanta are gunna drive in horrible Atlanta, GA traffic to watch a team in Gwinnett(Duluth, GA) to watch a team called the Atlanta something or others. I think Gwinnett itself could work, but I think it would have to be a team for Gwinnett such as the Gladiators and NOT a team for the city of Atlanta)
Yes, but the Atlanta metro area is notorious for its sprawl. The majority of its inhabitants don't live within Atlanta itself, but in the 'burbs. Part of the reason the Glads appealed over the Thrash - it was easier for people in the 'burbs to go to games as opposed to going into downtown.

garnetpalmetto is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 07:59 PM
CHRDANHUTCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by garnetpalmetto View Post
True but that doesn't mean it couldn't happen sometime next season either - it seems there's always one or two AHL ownerships looking to sell each season and one or two cases of a team in imminent danger with their arena deal. Were something to happen in Gwinnett, their arena can seat 11,500. That's already bigger than the respective barns of over half the league (Abbotsford, Adirondack, Binghamton, Bridgeport, Grand Rapids, Hershey, Manchester, Norfolk, Peoria, Portland, Rochester, Rockford, Springfield, St. John's, Syracuse, Texas, Toronto, and Wilkes-Barre/Scranton to be exact).

Yes, but the Atlanta metro area is notorious for its sprawl. The majority of its inhabitants don't live within Atlanta itself, but in the 'burbs. Part of the reason the Glads appealed over the Thrash - it was easier for people in the 'burbs to go to games as opposed to going into downtown.
not likely, garnet, you're going to see many ownerships looking to transfer licenses when they're under existing contract, but can Gwinnett ownership survive a transition or is an NHL Partner interested in doing that in Gwinnett

Old
07-13-2011, 08:02 PM
CHRDANHUTCH

Quote:

I almost spit Mountain Dew all over my computer screen from laughing so hard at Hutch of all people demanding proof be shown.
since when do I trust rookie posters.... I don't even trust you, GMR, since you have failed to show proof you have any clue as to how the AHL has been operated in the last 76 seasons

Old
07-13-2011, 08:23 PM
Winnipeg Jet
Phoenix Coyote

Quote:
since when do I trust rookie posters.... I don't even trust you, GMR, since you have failed to show proof you have any clue as to how the AHL has been operated in the last 76 seasons
If you do not trust me on the basis that I am still classified as a "rookie poster", would you therefore trust me if I became a sponsor, and thus lost the rookie poster tag?

Winnipeg Jet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 08:36 PM
SFTC Addict
Not Here To Be Liked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vosie View Post
If you do not trust me on the basis that I am still classified as a "rookie poster", would you therefore trust me if I became a sponsor, and thus lost the rookie poster tag?
Or instead of shelling out money you can go to your profile settings and change the custom user title to something else...

Old
07-27-2011, 05:38 PM
the hockey gods have
Rookie User

they should move 1 of those armpit teams from the East to Atlanta. Well come to think of it Atlanta didn't draw flies but neither do some of the teams in the East

the hockey gods have is offline   Reply With Quote