HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

Canucks @ Wild GDT, Game #5

Closed Thread

Old
10-18-2003, 04:36 PM
nucks2001

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggest Canuck Fan
It's not being pessimistic... it's just a question? How can a team that had the exact same start a season ago, come out so listless and pathetic? How can a team not learn from their mistakes?

If anything it shows they haven't learned, and seem to not have the ability to do this.

I don't think it is pessimistic... I think those are fair questions.
Hmm.. well the last 2 games have been very close games.. if it wasn't for the other goalie the Canucks woulda won.. tonight is a different story but they really haven't played awful in the first 4

Old
10-18-2003, 04:40 PM
hackey

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggest Canuck Fan
Is it possible the Canucks are not a good team at all? Are we a team that should be thankful we even make the playoffs? Can they even this year? These are legitimit questions, as I don't believe the Canucks will go on another 10 game winning streak like last season.

I mean really folks... 1 shot in the 2nd period? That is not Elite team statistics.

Thoughts?
Uh-oh - bandwagon jumper alert -

Old
10-18-2003, 04:41 PM
Biggest Canuck Fan

Send a message via ICQ to Biggest Canuck Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by nucks2001
Hmm.. well the last 2 games have been very close games.. if it wasn't for the other goalie the Canucks woulda won.. tonight is a different story but they really haven't played awful in the first 4
That is a fair point. I agree about that. I am just a little concerned about a team with such great chemistry playing with such little emotion!! Screw the PP... the team has to get more than 3 shots on goal in a period against a team that, while it plays a great team game, is far less talented than this team.

Old
10-18-2003, 04:43 PM
Biggest Canuck Fan

Send a message via ICQ to Biggest Canuck Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by hackey
Uh-oh - bandwagon jumper alert -
Never accuse me of being a bandwagon jumper. I have been a Canucks fan since before you were born. I am asking about the heart and the commitement of this team.

The Canucks do not have the luxury like they had last year to go on a small early season slump. The West is too strong. That is why I ask those questions.

Old
10-18-2003, 05:24 PM
LaVal

Henrik!!

Old
10-18-2003, 05:24 PM
JessC

Canucks Scoreeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee eeee!!!!!! Henrik Sedin Scoressss!!!!!

Old
10-18-2003, 05:31 PM
Mizral

Hey guys, remember last October? How much crap we played like?

However, what I like about this, is that I feel we are playing another crap October.. but we are FIGHTING way more. This team doesn't give up. Henrik's goal shows that. That should be the mantra - just never, ever, give up.

(EDIT: Should note - Cloutier is the ONLY reason we went .500 in October last year)

Old
10-18-2003, 05:42 PM
LaVal

i'm extremely dissapointed with this game. it was a complete lackluster of any effort or desire. even though he had a goal, Naslund had a very poor showing, as did Bertuzzi and Morrison. Naslund can't seem to find the net on a shot and doesn't seem to have any drive, Bertuzzi won't look for anything but Naslund on the ice, and Morrison seems to be fighting the puck.

of course the big line aren't the only ones guilty of a poor showing. every Canuck with perhaps the exception of Ohlund seems like they just don't care at this point in the season.

Old
10-18-2003, 05:46 PM
Thalia

All is not bad. The Wings lost to Pittsburgh tonight.

Old
10-18-2003, 05:53 PM
ttr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thalia
All is not bad. The Wings lost to Pittsburgh tonight.
sounds familiar, you remind me of someone, have we met?

Old
10-18-2003, 06:03 PM
Thalia

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttr
sounds familiar, you remind me of someone, have we met?
Is your name Appollo? If not, then no.

Old
10-18-2003, 07:55 PM
Impossibles

I didn't see the game, just listened to some of it through the wild's radio station, but I just wanted to say that the style minnesota plays makes the other team look bad, its part of the strategy of 'trapping' teams; take the flow of the game away.

Not saying the canucks put forth a strong effort, just saying all is not lost and no need to start planning the rebuilding process.

Old
10-18-2003, 07:56 PM
The Produce Man
Master of Puppets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Canuck 19
I think we're gonna tie. Start the season off the exact same as last year
Hate to say I told you so :p

Old
10-18-2003, 08:06 PM
Red

Just saw the highlites. Another godawful giveaway by Sopel.

That Laaksonen penalty shot call was BS.

Old
10-19-2003, 02:05 PM
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****

I saw the game last night.... it was on the center-ice pkg through the Minny feed (foxsportsnet - boy where they awful!! one thing not to know the Canuck players, but they kept missing Wild players all night!)...

problems I saw - the Canucks were playing into Minny's style... granted they had the last change and had more control in dictating the style, they still played "down" to their opponent's game, rather than controlling the play offensively like they do when they're on top of their game.

Sopel didn't play bad last night... he did have a bad give away, but so did Ohlund - a horrible one that gave up a good scoring chance.

Sopel was active again in the offensive zone, and got an assist ... Daniel made an awesome play to Henrik on that goal!

The penalty shot was crap... they got a shot away, and Hedberg had to make a good save - it shouldn't have been a penalty shot because of that, as the shooter did have a good scoring chance before being brought down - but Hedberg played it well.

Hedberg had a solid game I thought... his stick handling is impressive - much much better than Cloutier's... he's also pretty focused out there, and plays his angles well... so far I like what I've seen from Hedberg!

Naslund and Bertuzzi, despite their lack of offense, had another very solid defensive game... Bertuzzi was backchecking yesterday!!! I'd say at this point it seems that Bertuzzi has been playing better defensively overall compared to Naslund... Naslund still seems a bit off his game right now.... Morrison looked impressive again last night in his 2-way game.... another thing with Bertuzzi is that he seems to have much better control on his emotions... he's not getting knocked off his game mentally as much... even though he did get a penalty on the PP (which was soft!) he didn't explode.

overall I wasn't too disappointed with individual play yesterday, it was moreso the team game - they didn't dictate the play out there, which you HAVE to do against Minny... they fell into their trap game, and it took away emotion (which was great at the start, thanks in large part to Linden and Cooke!).

other things I saw... a few shifts Crow mixed up his lines out there... he had Cooke-Linden-King out there a couple times.. and also had Morrison out with Cooke and King for a couple shifts... Bertuzzi played with the Sedins again, double shifting as well... when Morrison played with Cooke and King, they had Linden take a shift on the top line, seemed like he didn't have much chemistry out there with Naslund.

and their PP has to improve!!! 5 min PP, you have to score! so far (and it's early) they don't have that presense they did last season on the PP -and I think a lot of that has to do with Bertuzzi... Salo hasn't looked bad on the point on the 1st unit, but maybe it's time to go with Morrison back there (and Henrik at center) like last year to get the group back into the groove.

Old
10-19-2003, 02:13 PM
Waveburner
RIP Luc

Something has to shake up the PP...it just is not getting shots through to the net-Bertuzzi isn't even getting a chance at deflections or rebounds, as the shots are not getting through.

I've been extremely unimpressed offensively with Arvedsson-Linden-Cooke. Aside from ONE period of hockey vs. the Oilers, they aren't even generating chances. I'd break them up personally.

Also, Crow, stop playing Linden on the big line! It doesn't work!!!

Old
10-19-2003, 02:21 PM
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waveburner
Something has to shake up the PP...it just is not getting shots through to the net-Bertuzzi isn't even getting a chance at deflections or rebounds, as the shots are not getting through.

I've been extremely unimpressed offensively with Arvedsson-Linden-Cooke. Aside from ONE period of hockey vs. the Oilers, they aren't even generating chances. I'd break them up personally.

Also, Crow, stop playing Linden on the big line! It doesn't work!!!
agree on all 3 points.

with the PP, Bertuzzi also doesn't seem to have the same presense in front of the net either... also it seems that everytime they get the puck (at least yesterday) 4 players on the ice were all looking for Naslund on the half boards, and no other play was even an option for them... and Naslund is still not on top of his game, which made things worse.

the 3rd line's problems I think are with Arvedson... he's not looking great out there on the right side... granted defensively he's fine, but offensively he seems lost out there when he's trying to create things from the right side... also confusing Cooke I think as he watches Arvedson too much and moving on to the right side in the middle of plays as Arvedson is going from wing to wing... this line being great against the Oilers I thought was moreso because of Cooke and Linden than Arvedson ... maybe the problems are showing already with the expectations of him adjusting easily to the right wing?

Linden is looking good defensively, but asking him to *create* offensive chances - which as a center he needs to do - isn't working IMO... always thought - and still do - that Linden is better on the right side.

problem is that with Lindgren out, you need to have Linden at center I guess... bringing up Reid might not be the best thing either, as he's not the best fit for a 4th line spot.... but when Lindgren is back, I'd like to see Cooke-Chubarov-Linden together, and Arvedson (on left wing) with Lindgren and Ruutu/May.... maybe Kesler or Smith can eventually come into the play the 4th pivot spot this season??

Old
10-19-2003, 02:57 PM
Waveburner
RIP Luc

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuckfan in TO
agree on all 3 points.

with the PP, Bertuzzi also doesn't seem to have the same presense in front of the net either... also it seems that everytime they get the puck (at least yesterday) 4 players on the ice were all looking for Naslund on the half boards, and no other play was even an option for them... and Naslund is still not on top of his game, which made things worse.

the 3rd line's problems I think are with Arvedson... he's not looking great out there on the right side... granted defensively he's fine, but offensively he seems lost out there when he's trying to create things from the right side... also confusing Cooke I think as he watches Arvedson too much and moving on to the right side in the middle of plays as Arvedson is going from wing to wing... this line being great against the Oilers I thought was moreso because of Cooke and Linden than Arvedson ... maybe the problems are showing already with the expectations of him adjusting easily to the right wing?

Linden is looking good defensively, but asking him to *create* offensive chances - which as a center he needs to do - isn't working IMO... always thought - and still do - that Linden is better on the right side.

problem is that with Lindgren out, you need to have Linden at center I guess... bringing up Reid might not be the best thing either, as he's not the best fit for a 4th line spot.... but when Lindgren is back, I'd like to see Cooke-Chubarov-Linden together, and Arvedson (on left wing) with Lindgren and Ruutu/May.... maybe Kesler or Smith can eventually come into the play the 4th pivot spot this season??
Kesler would be an interesting option right now, if only to allow Linden to move back to RW. I agree 100% about Linden at C. He is fine defensively there, but offensively, he is just bad. Arvedsson is either feelings the injury more than he is letting on, or he is really struggling with the Canuck system. He is invisible most shifts-although I love his PK work. I thought Cooke was playing the right side?

One other point that is bugging me early this season-LINE CHANGES! THREE too many men penalties in 5 games?!? After leading the NHL in this category 2 seasons in a row? Who the frick is responsible for line changes? Is this the ECHL? How hard is it to make proper line changes? The Canucks make the SLOPPIEST changes in the NHL, and its been going on basically since the Crawford regime took over. It needs to be fixed-even if we don't get a penalty for our sloppy changes-it seems to result in scoring chances for the other team quite often as well. Am I the only one noticing this?

Closed Thread