HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Kreider

Old
06-30-2011, 10:31 AM
habs1988

vCash: 500
Kreider

Guys, I know there is alot of hype around Kreider, so I would like to know what can you expect from him? He's one of my favorite non-habs prospect...

Potential? Upside? NHL readiness?

habs1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2011, 10:33 AM
Levitate

He's probably physically capable of playing in the NHL right now, but realistically needs some time to continue learning the game, especially playing without the puck.

Upside I'd see as Eric Cole, a 30-30 or 20-40 guy

This year at BC will be a big one for seeing if he's making progress in his development

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2011, 10:33 AM
Kershaw

vCash: 50
Top 6 forward a la Mason Raymond of 2009-10 is probably his upside.

Kreider needs to put up points consistently before we pencil him in beside Gaborik and Richards.

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2011, 10:44 AM
Darrelle Lundqvist
Swagelin

I see him topping out as a solid top 6 winger

Darrelle Lundqvist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2011, 11:29 AM
freewheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by sakukoivu2003 View Post
Guys, I know there is alot of hype around Kreider, so I would like to know what can you expect from him? He's one of my favorite non-habs prospect...

Potential? Upside? NHL readiness?
This is a monstrous year for him. The expectation is that he will dominate with top line minutes. The skating/speed is NHL ready. His awareness, hockey sense, creativity, etc. still needs work. He seems like a smart and dedicated kid though, so between the tools he's already developed, and what seems like a solid character, the hope is he rips apart college hockey and competes for a job next year. I'm hopeful he recognized his shortcomings and will focus on improving them, rather than leaning on his physical superiority at that level.

freewheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2011, 12:19 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duskfamous View Post

Kreider needs to put up points consistently before we pencil him in beside Gaborik and Richards.
If his upside is Mason Raymond, I'd be very disappointed.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2011, 12:26 PM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

vCash: 566
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emma Royd View Post
If his upside is Mason Raymond, I'd be very disappointed.
I'd say somewhere between Mason Raymond and Tony Amonte.

vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2011, 12:35 PM
Blazephr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duskfamous View Post

Mason Raymond/??

Kreider is already a better skater than most NHL players. IMO...He's still a work in progress, a great blend of skating, size & skill. And he's not afraid to use the body.

Blazephr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2011, 12:40 PM
Levitate

Mason Raymond is a fantastic skater, I wouldn't really use Kreider's skating as a reason why he'll be better than Raymond

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2011, 12:42 PM
Blazephr

we ALL remember this sick move:

Old
06-30-2011, 12:48 PM
Trxjw
Bored.

Ultimately I think Kreider is going to be a lot like David Booth in terms of how his numbers stack up. 30+ goal upside, but probably hovering in the 20-25 assist range each year.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2011, 12:52 PM
Blazephr

Chris Kreider will produce more offense & will be a better finisher than Mason Raymond was in his 1st 4 years in the league. Even Dubinsky has better over-all numbers than Raymond.

Old
06-30-2011, 12:53 PM
we want cup
We do not Sow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
Ultimately I think Kreider is going to be a lot like David Booth in terms of how his numbers stack up. 30+ goal upside, but probably hovering in the 20-25 assist range each year.
Yup. Based on what I've seen I'd agree with this.

RANGERS =
we want cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2011, 01:04 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
Mason Raymond is a fantastic skater, I wouldn't really use Kreider's skating as a reason why he'll be better than Raymond
Kreider: Bigger, stronger, better hands, better shot.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2011, 01:05 PM
Blazephr

Yeah, I can see the David Booth comparison. But before the Mike Richards incident. Not sure Booth will ever be the same player leading up to that hit.

Old
06-30-2011, 01:15 PM
ruckus*

I don't want to be negative about Kreider, and I'm not even sure this is being negative, but the only thing I don't like are his comments where he acts like he's so totally not ready to play NHL hockey.

Whether or not that's true isn't really relevant to me. I just hate seeing such a talented prospect say those types of things.

It reminds me a lot of Lucas Duda, whom even after numerous stints in the big leagues, and having some pretty solid games, still constantly talks about needing to gain confidence and realize he's good enough to play in the big leagues.

That mindset is not the type of dominant players.

I think Kreider is going to be a very solid NHL player. I just don't think he's going to be a superstar or an overly dynamic offensive player outside of his speed.

But then again, that opinion is based on absolutely nothing.

ruckus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2011, 01:26 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Yea its based on nothing is right.

A 20 year old wanting one more year of development means he doesnt have the right mentality?

Lucas Duda and the garbage Mets (im a Mets fan) have nothing to do with Kreider.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2011, 01:51 PM
Machinehead
Richards Supporter

Kreider is a pain in the ass. Very talented though. Could be a 1LW, #2 at least.

Machinehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2011, 02:15 PM
freewheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post

A 20 year old wanting one more year of development means he doesnt have the right mentality?

Lucas Duda and the garbage Mets (im a Mets fan) have nothing to do with Kreider.
And wasn't Kreider regarded as a longer term project when he was drafted? That was 2009. So two years later he wants another year of development. Great, go develop, and everyone chill out. If he does not perform this year, then there's real reason for concern. But he could go win the Hobey Baker, and not surprise anyone.

Anisimov hasn't been the most aggressive personality in the world, and he's been adjusting.

freewheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2011, 02:27 PM
Edge

Personally, his style has always reminded me of a bigger Tony Amonte. He has speed and skills but he's not going to be an effortless scorer, he's going to work for his points. I think he will always be heavier on goals than assists, but the talent is there for 30 goals.

I'm one of the few who thinks he still needs one more year of college to cook. Having said that, he could be a better pro than amateur.

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2011, 02:29 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge View Post
Personally, his style has always reminded me of a bigger Tony Amonte. He has speed and skills but he's not going to be an effortless scorer, he's going to work for his points. I think he will always be heavier on goals than assists, but the talent is there for 30 goals.

I'm one of the few who thinks he still needs one more year of college to cook. Having said that, he could be a better pro than amateur.
Thank you again for your sanity.

jas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2011, 02:41 PM
ruckus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post

Well I think most take my opinion with a grain of salt, much as everyone does yours because of your reputation when it comes to all things Rangers prospects.

My analogy was comparing two players (granted in different sports, but teams I'm well informed on) that similarly remind me of each other in the way they talk about themselves. They have all the skills necessary to be successful and yet seem to continually doubt themselves.

That's not my prerogative, that's based on comments that they've made.

I think Kreider is going to be very good. I'm not sure what he's done to make you and others believe he's a sure fire top liner with 30 goal potential.

I apologize if you don't understand the Duda comparison but I thought it was fair when comparing their ability and mindset.

It's nothing more than an opinion but it's definitely something that sticks out to me when I read comments from Kreider and every time I head Duda speak.

ruckus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2011, 02:41 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

His upside is 30+35=65, making him a bottom-end first liner or a top-shelf second liner. There is an outside chance that he'll be another Tony Amonte (40+35=75), but I think that's highly unlikely.

His realistic probability is as a 25+25=50 average second liner, similar to Raymond Mason, but bigger and therefore slightly more productive.

His absolute minimum is to be another Sjostrom-like role player, but I think he would be at least on par with Sjostrom immediately, as in today if Kreider decided to leave college.

Honestly, if he's putting up Dubinsky-like numbers (25+30=55), we should be very happy. Adding a decent offensive player with size and a solid defensive game is nothing to scoff at.

Beacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2011, 02:56 PM
Edge

Have to tell you, outside of speed, I don't see the Mason comparison. Ironically, people mentioned Mason when talking about Miller and I don't see that either.

Kreider is a guy who I think would work well with a guy like Stepan, who can spring him open and set him to fly in close.

Personally, I'd like to see what Kreider looks like on the right side, as I think his speed would be intriguing.

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2011, 02:58 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by freewheeler View Post
So two years later he wants another year of development. Great, go develop, and everyone chill out.
He could have developed better in the AHL. I suspect that the only reason he's staying in college is for his education, not his hockey career.

Beacon is offline   Reply With Quote