HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

6/7th Dman-Jim Vandermeer?

Old
06-30-2011, 12:42 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rangers1314 View Post
Since most people assume we'll be going into camp with 5/6 spots penciled in (staal, girardi, mcD, Sauer, Erixon), there has been a lot talk about bringing in a vet to fillout that 3rd pairing who won't break the bank. I think Vandermeer would be a nice fit. Thoughts?
Rangers 6-8 defensemen should be: MDZ, Vally and Kundratek. If all of them fail to show themselves competent to be a #6 defenseman, then the Rangers can get someone on the waiver draft or trade for a #6D for a midround pick.

But I feel pretty confident that one of them can prove himself a competent #6D. In fact, I think that all of them are ready for either part-time or full-time NHL duty.

Beacon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2011, 12:50 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

Lemme think ab- NO! Tough and incredibly slow. With our depth of NHL ready prospects, I would prefer we let them play and actually increase their value as assets than let some old slow guy play. If things are really bad, we can sign him mid-way through the season. Or if things are really bad, we can always call up Redden

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2011, 12:57 PM
Tawnos
BoH Mod Only

I know the idea of calling up Redden came up earlier in the thread and I know you were just kidding...

But in all seriousness, we can't. He'd put us over the cap.

Tawnos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2011, 01:08 PM
Brian Boyle
portnor, pls

vCash: 659
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nich View Post
i rather bring a vet for the 7th spot, and hopefully MDZ returns to his freshman year level of play

Staal - Girardi
MCD - Sauer
MZD - Erixon
Going into the year with that defense is asking for trouble.

2nd year defensemen scare the hell out of me. I have high hopes for Erixon but not without some semblance of a veteran presence. Del Zotto scares the hell out of me.

Brian Boyle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2011, 02:42 PM
Jxmarts

Redden's salary would count against the cap, which is why he was with the Whale last year.

It's now or never for Valentenko. He'd have to be waived to be sent down, so he's either going to make the team as the 6th or 7th d-man, or they'll try to trade him.

Eminger would be perfect as the extra d-man, unless either Erixon or MDZ isn't ready to contribute on the powerplay. If not, then Sather may look to add a McCabe type for powerplay duty.

Jxmarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2011, 03:06 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jxmarts View Post
Redden's salary would count against the cap, which is why he was with the Whale last year.

It's now or never for Valentenko. He'd have to be waived to be sent down, so he's either going to make the team as the 6th or 7th d-man, or they'll try to trade him.

Eminger would be perfect as the extra d-man, unless either Erixon or MDZ isn't ready to contribute on the powerplay. If not, then Sather may look to add a McCabe type for powerplay duty.

I think Vally is a safe bet to be our #7 defenseman. But if he fails to make it as our #7, we won't trade him anywhere because it will be a sign that he's just not good enough to play in the NHL, so why would anyone give up even a 7th round pick for him?

We have a lot of defensemen long-term, but not a lot coming into this year. We have a solid top-4. Then Erixon should easily lock up a #5 slot.

But spots 6 and 7 are wide open. Even if he plays on par with Kundratek, so long as his play is acceptable, he will be the one to take the #7 spot because 'tek doesn't have to go through waivers to get sent down.

The only way Vally does not make the Rangers this year is if he outright sucks. And if he sucks so much that he can't even be a #7, then forget about him as a player at any point in the future.

The guy will be 24 years old by the start of the season. If a 24 year old can't crack even the part-time spot on a team lacking (in the short-term) blueliner depth, then he's just not a player. I would assume that he'll just turn out and go back to the KHL for the rest of his career at this point. Nobody will give us anything for him and nobody would claim him off waivers.

Beacon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2011, 03:11 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerEsq View Post
I think Vally is a safe bet to be our #7 defenseman. But if he fails to make it as our #7, we won't trade him anywhere because it will be a sign that he's just not good enough to play in the NHL, so why would anyone give up even a 7th round pick for him?
other teams have scouts + less blue line depth. I'm sure some of them would love to have Valentenko over say... Sheldon Souray.

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2011, 03:18 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
We have great prospect depth on the back end, and other organizations know this. No one would expect him to beat out Staal, McDonagh, Sauer and Girardi, and it would hardly be the end of the world if he were beaten out by Tim Erixon and Michael Del Zotto--two first round picks with plenty of upside. If he failed to make the team, it wouldn't necessarily be a poor reflection on him. What if he has a very good camp, but two other players have great camps?

Quote:
We have a lot of defensemen long-term, but not a lot coming into this year. We have a solid top-4. Then Erixon should easily lock up a #5 slot.

But spots 6 and 7 are wide open. Even if he plays on par with Kundratek, so long as his play is acceptable, he will be the one to take the #7 spot because 'tek doesn't have to go through waivers to get sent down.

The only way Vally does not make the Rangers this year is if he outright sucks. And if he sucks so much that he can't even be a #7, then forget about him as a player at any point in the future.
What about Del Zotto? I certainly think he's in the running for a spot in the top six...

Quote:
The guy will be 24 years old by the start of the season. If a 24 year old can't crack even the part-time spot on a team lacking (in the short-term) blueliner depth, then he's just not a player. I would assume that he'll just turn out and go back to the KHL for the rest of his career at this point. Nobody will give us anything for him and nobody would claim him off waivers.
He's a prospect competing against other prospects. Again, if he has a solid camp but other guys have great camps, it's not the end of the world for him. I'm sure you could acquire the highly-coveted "future considerations" for him, if nothing else.

I'd wager that the Rangers prefer having a veteran somewhere in the 5/6/7 spots on defense. Even if it's just Steve Eminger again. I don't see them going with Valentenko as the seventh.

If no one has interest in him, though, I think it's due to your last point--the flight risk.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2011, 03:35 PM
Mint Berry Crunch
hfbrods pls...

vCash: 1081
Send a message via AIM to Mint Berry Crunch
Eminger over Vandermeer, by far.

Mint Berry Crunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2011, 03:40 PM
Khelvan

Send a message via ICQ to Khelvan Send a message via AIM to Khelvan Send a message via MSN to Khelvan
Quote:
It would be bad for the kid if the Rangers sit him most nights as a #7 defenseman. You want someone that young playing most nights, not sitting.

Khelvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2011, 10:31 PM
rangers1314

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khelvan View Post
It would be bad for the kid if the Rangers sit him most nights as a #7 defenseman. You want someone that young playing most nights, not sitting.
I think what will happen is a repeat of what we saw with Sauer last season. V-tank and (enter cheap vet here) will start the season as 6/7. Tank would have to clear waivers in order to go back to the pack, and he'd probably get picked by someone, so he will start the season on the big club and have a chance to play himself into that 6th spot....just like Sauer did with Eminger.

rangers1314 is offline   Reply With Quote