HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

44th Obsequious Banter Thread - The Most Interesting Thread in the World

Closed Thread

Old
06-28-2011, 11:01 PM
BernieParent

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
From now on, "Sorry, I was struck by lightning" is going to be my excuse.
Sorry, Beef, Paul Holmgren has claimed that excuse for why he employs Matt Walker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mypunkrock View Post
Thesis defense in the morning. Nervous and excited for this.
Best of luck to you.

Old
06-29-2011, 01:04 AM
Villedelphia*

At first I was glad that snapback hats were being produced and becoming hip again. I have a sweet collection of old school snapbacks that I love and never stopped wearing them, but I just realized that it's getting too big and will just be a burned out fad, and I'll have to stop wearing my snapbacks for a while because I'll look like a gay.

Old
06-29-2011, 01:07 AM
PhilaFlyers

vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by PuckBeast View Post
At first I was glad that snapback hats were being produced and becoming hip again. I have a sweet collection of old school snapbacks that I love and never stopped wearing them, but I just realized that it's getting too big and will just be a burned out fad, and I'll have to stop wearing my snapbacks for a while because I'll look like a gay.
I concur

Old
06-29-2011, 09:05 AM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Do we really need 8000 stickied threads anymore? No one has really talked about the prospects for like 3 days now...

Old
06-29-2011, 12:05 PM
Hollywood Couturier

Anyone ever use eBay to sell stuff?

Old
06-29-2011, 12:45 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood Couturier View Post
No, but I'd be willing to let you give me whatever you're selling for free.

06-29-2011, 01:01 PM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
A little bit. Maybe like ten things in the last few years.

Old
06-29-2011, 01:05 PM
Hollywood Couturier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giroux tha Damaja View Post
A little bit. Maybe like ten things in the last few years.
Any idea how much they take from sales? and if I wanted to make a store and only set things to buy it now and they don't sell for 4 months am I paying a fee each month or something?

"I Came Here To Bury Caesar, Not Praise Him" - Roy Halladay
Old
06-29-2011, 01:11 PM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
Any idea how much they take from sales? and if I wanted to make a store and only set things to buy it now and they don't sell for 4 months am I paying a fee each month or something?
They take an initial listing fee and then a percentage of whatever the sale price was. I think the listing fee varies on whether or not you have a buy it now, the increments that people can bid in and the starting price. As far as I know the percentage is fixed for everything, but it's not small...I think it was 6% or something the last time I sold anything on there.

I think the longest they let a listing go for is 30 days, so I think you would have to pay a listing fee for each of the four months that the item was up. I would check all of this out though, I only sell things occasionally on there, so I am not certain about any of the specifics I'm giving you. You can go through the whole listing process on their site and read the terms that it will show you as you list the item, and then just not go through with the listing once you have the info. Or there is probably a page on the site somewhere with the info.

Old
06-29-2011, 01:17 PM
Phileeguy
G's got good hands.

I haven't sold anything on eBay in several years, so if they added a percentage fee to the final auction price/buy it now price that's news to me. They do have a listing fee which was only like a buck or two when I last used the site, but I remember it only kicking in if the item is actually sold, or if the seller pays it up front for a more prominent listing or something of the like. If GtD's details about the listing's are more accurate than I remember I'm glad I don't use eBay to sell things anymore.

Old
06-29-2011, 09:24 PM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

I think with this "JagrWatch" going on by Pens fans, we ought to start a "BundyWatch" and try to bring Therien back for a 6 game contract this year...

Old
06-29-2011, 11:58 PM
mypunkrock

Passed my defense with minor revisions. Woo hoo!

Old
06-30-2011, 12:06 AM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

vCash: 50
Quote:
Passed my defense with minor revisions. Woo hoo!
Congratulations. I dont really understand what that means but it sounds hard and I laud you.

I've been watching this weird channel called Tango! on my TV at night to fall asleep (I get like 5 channels in my room.) It is basically 80s music with weather on the bottom and has cameras switching to major highways in the city (76, 676, 95, I'm guessing you know what a highway is.) I find it oddly peaceful to watch traffic at night. Am I alone/weird?

06-30-2011, 12:43 AM
mypunkrock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hextall89 View Post
Congratulations. I dont really understand what that means but it sounds hard and I laud you.

I've been watching this weird channel called Tango! on my TV at night to fall asleep (I get like 5 channels in my room.) It is basically 80s music with weather on the bottom and has cameras switching to major highways in the city (76, 676, 95, I'm guessing you know what a highway is.) I find it oddly peaceful to watch traffic at night. Am I alone/weird?
a) thesis defense. I will officially have my MS in criminology next month.

b) my hometown used to have a tv channel that showed the main street security camera panning back and forth. Black and white camera, and elevator music. Super relaxing.

Old
06-30-2011, 12:54 AM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

vCash: 50
Quote:
a) thesis defense. I will officially have my MS in criminology next month.

b) my hometown used to have a tv channel that showed the main street security camera panning back and forth. Black and white camera, and elevator music. Super relaxing.
I was hoping you could explain what a thesis defense is.

Old
06-30-2011, 01:07 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

Quote:
It's when you defend a thesis.

You write a paper, your professors assault it in various ways, and you back it up. Or something like that.

Old
06-30-2011, 01:10 AM
mypunkrock

Quote:
Ah, ok, sorry. Long day.

So a thesis is basically like a smaller version of a dissertation. Typically 50-60 pages of relevant literature on a particular topic, and original research that contributes to one's respective discipline.

The defense is an open-to-the-public event where you present your research to your advisory committee (a handful of professors who help you in the process) as well as anyone else who wants to be present. You give a presentation, typically 10 to 20 minutes, and then take questions about the research - methodology, data, findings, future research, etc.

It is basically the culminating experience that acts as a prep for pursuing a PhD. In my case, this thesis has taken 14 months to complete, from start to finish. It drew heavily on one class that I took.

Here is my abstract:
Frederic Thrasher's early work with youth gangs in Chicago continues to influence contemporary gang research. Thrasher's basic premise, that conflict with outside groups facilitates strong interpersonal ties between adolescents, has yet to undergo quantitative analysis. Using data from Wave II of the National Longitudinal Study of Adolescent Health ("Add Health"), this conflict is measured by the aggregate number of juvenile arrests for property and violent crimes in a community. Multivariate regression is conducted to explore the impact of police threat on number of friendship nominations, while logistic regression is conducted to see if police threat is impacting relationship strength between respondent's first male and female friend. The results from both the multivariate and logistic regressions do not support Thrasher's hypothesis. Implications for future research are discussed.

Old
06-30-2011, 02:47 PM
Chicken Chaser
Zaphod Beeblebrox

So the NBA locked the players out this after noon.

Win.

Old
06-30-2011, 02:50 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicken Chaser View Post

Win.
That's pretty funny. That one is going to get UGLY.

Old
06-30-2011, 02:54 PM
Vikke
FHM 13 researcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicken Chaser View Post

Win.
Really? Wow.

Old
06-30-2011, 02:58 PM
SolidSnakeUS

I hope the NBA and NFL get locked out for the whole season, so ESPN have nothing to talk about but baseball and hockey. Would be nice.

They may be contractually obligated to talk about NBA and NFL more, but if nothing is happening, what can you do.

Old
06-30-2011, 02:59 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
I hope the NBA and NFL get locked out for the whole season, so ESPN have nothing to talk about but baseball and hockey. Would be nice.

They may be contractually obligated to talk about NBA and NFL more, but if nothing is happening, what can you do.
They would just cover the NCAA to death, and hockey would get the same level of coverage.

Old
06-30-2011, 03:02 PM
Phileeguy
G's got good hands.

The NFL lockout was inevitable, but everyone knew that they'd both sides would be stupid to throw that kind of money away with a lost/shortened season. And if the reports are to be believed, they're getting close to a deal.

The NBA lockout is a totally different animal, and to me it kinda feels similar to the NHL lockout. There's less of a pie, with a greater gap between owners and players. And if the owners are claiming they're losing money, which is much easier to believe with the NBA than with the NFL, this might last a while.

Old
06-30-2011, 03:16 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phileeguy View Post
The NFL lockout was inevitable, but everyone knew that they'd both sides would be stupid to throw that kind of money away with a lost/shortened season. And if the reports are to be believed, they're getting close to a deal.

The NBA lockout is a totally different animal, and to me it kinda feels similar to the NHL lockout. There's less of a pie, with a greater gap between owners and players. And if the owners are claiming they're losing money, which is much easier to believe with the NBA than with the NFL, this might last a while.
I think the NBA lost something like 300-400 million bucks a year ago. That's not really sustainable.

Old
06-30-2011, 03:27 PM
kicksave27

Though the NBA labor stoppages are normally short. Bling, hoes and cars aren't normal long term investment tools.

Closed Thread