HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Gomez trade in the works? LEGIT SOURCES ONLY (Part II)

Closed Thread

Old
06-30-2011, 04:50 PM
Gabe84
Bring back Bonk!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnapVirus View Post
Can we close this thread?

Gomez wont be traded. And actually, theres absolutely 0 'legit' rumor about it.

/thread.
In the current context, with a bunch of teams looking to reach the cap floor, coupled with the fact that Gomez' cap hit is much higher than his actual salary, I could see many teams being interested in adding him to their line-up.

He's a great veteran presence, isn't a detrimental presence on the ice, unlike some of you are claiming, and he could even bounce back (not by much, but better than last year at least).

Old
06-30-2011, 04:55 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

I wouldn't say there is 0% chance of Gomez being traded...it might be 10-20% for this summer...but it's not impossible.

The things that would contribute to it not happening are mainly 1-he makes 7.5 mil this coming year and his cap hit is 7.357 mil. 2-right now there not many good UFA's let alone UFA's at center, why go through the trouble of trading him, having to find a top 2 center but not a ton of attractive UFA's to spend the savings on. Easier to ride out another year, hope he bounces back big time then he becaomes very attractive to a cap floor team next summer and Eller might be ready to be a #2 by then.

Old
06-30-2011, 05:00 PM
Gabe84
Bring back Bonk!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
I wouldn't say there is 0% chance of Gomez being traded...it might be 10-20% for this summer...but it's not impossible.

The things that would contribute to it not happening are mainly 1-he makes 7.5 mil this coming year and his cap hit is 7.357 mil. 2-right now there not many good UFA's let alone UFA's at center, why go through the trouble of trading him, having to find a top 2 center but not a ton of attractive UFA's to spend the savings on. Easier to ride out another year, hope he bounces back big time then he becaomes very attractive to a cap floor team next summer and Eller might be ready to be a #2 by then.
The "worst" of Gomez' contract is behind him though. If a team is looking at acquiring him, they won't just look at next year, they'll look at the remaining years of his contract. He will actually take a 500k drop in salary next season compared to 2010-2011, followed by another 2M and 1M drop in subsequent years. Not too shabby.

I guess my point is this: if a team is struggling financially, and is looking to reach the cap floor, the best way to do it is acquire players that will help them reach that floor, but will command a lower salary.

Basically: spending as little as possible, while playing within the rules.

Old
06-30-2011, 05:16 PM
Bullsmith

The place I would like Gomez to go is to the net.

Old
06-30-2011, 05:20 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabe84 View Post
The "worst" of Gomez' contract is behind him though. If a team is looking at acquiring him, they won't just look at next year, they'll look at the remaining years of his contract. He will actually take a 500k drop in salary next season compared to 2010-2011, followed by another 2M and 1M drop in subsequent years. Not too shabby.

I guess my point is this: if a team is struggling financially, and is looking to reach the cap floor, the best way to do it is acquire players that will help them reach that floor, but will command a lower salary.

Basically: spending as little as possible, while playing within the rules.
I don't disagree with you, but next year might be a much better fit both for the Habs and a team looking to add cap hit.

Old
06-30-2011, 05:20 PM
groovejuice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullsmith View Post
Yup!

Old
06-30-2011, 05:34 PM
JackieChan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullsmith View Post
His fishing net in Alaska

Old
06-30-2011, 05:48 PM
Des Louise
Formerly E=CH2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
I agree, it was Gomez' offense not his defense that screwed up his +-.
Except you're comparing Gomez numbers with Plekanec numbers without considering quality of opposition at all.

Old
06-30-2011, 05:51 PM
LastRide

How is he going to go to the net when he can't even hit the net.

Old
06-30-2011, 07:45 PM
overlords
Hfboards

If you don't want to post in this thread, that's fine, but quit whining that it exists.

Old
06-30-2011, 07:51 PM
Analyzer

Did someone say the Gomez deal is worse than the Roy one ?

Old
06-30-2011, 08:21 PM
Russian Warrior
SWAG

With pacioretty all year on his wing, I'm sure Gomer will bounce back. I predict 60 pts for him this year.

Old
06-30-2011, 08:31 PM
keepcalmandbeninja

Quote:
With pacioretty all year on his wing, I'm sure Gomer will bounce back. I predict 60 pts for him this year.
As much as I agree with this statement and keep hearing it as well it is my view that if we are to keep Gomez it should not be Patches to make Gomez look passable or acceptable to us, it is of vital importance that if we are to keep Gomez, he himself adjust his game and work ethic to be a more effective player for us...and then the added benefits of having a Paccioretty (sp) on his wing...

Old
06-30-2011, 08:38 PM
Des Louise
Formerly E=CH2

Quote:
Originally Posted by giovannicanella View Post
As much as I agree with this statement and keep hearing it as well it is my view that if we are to keep Gomez it should not be Patches to make Gomez look passable or acceptable to us, it is of vital importance that if we are to keep Gomez, he himself adjust his game and work ethic to be a more effective player for us...and then the added benefits of having a Paccioretty (sp) on his wing...
Everyone is going to go crazy about how they were behind Gomez all this time and supported him and how everyone else is a bad fan when he gets carried by Pacioretty+Gionta + great PMDs next season and puts up 60 pts while being sheltered like crazy behind Plekanec playing softer opposition.

Just watch..

Old
06-30-2011, 09:21 PM
macavoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
If you don't want to post in this thread, that's fine, but quit whining that it exists.
Here's an idea, ban anyone that whines about the thread from being able to post / read the thread. No warnings, just boom, it'll be funny, they'll be locked out and be dying to know what is going on.

On a more related topic:

I don't believe that PG would have told Gomez that they were shopping him. They would keep it so secret that not even Gomez would know about it. I mean BGL didn't get a heads up a week before he was voted off the Island.

Old
06-30-2011, 09:23 PM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by macavoy View Post
Here's an idea, ban anyone that whines about the thread from being able to post / read the thread. No warnings, just boom, it'll be funny, they'll be locked out and be dying to know what is going on.

On a more related topic:

I don't believe that PG would have told Gomez that they were shopping him. They would keep it so secret that not even Gomez would know about it. I mean BGL didn't get a heads up a week before he was voted off the Island.
Yes, and who do you think will get the PM's complaining after that point?

Good idea though, I will keep it in mind tomorrow if **** hits the fan

Old
06-30-2011, 09:27 PM
HCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by E = CH² View Post
Except you're comparing Gomez numbers with Plekanec numbers without considering quality of opposition at all.
Pretty lame argument

Quote:
Originally Posted by znk View Post
You are wrong about the PP ice time. Check the time on ice per game.
PP
Plekanec 2:55
Gomez 2:42

SH
Plekanec 2:49
Gomez 0:57

ES
Gomez 14:53
Plekanec 14:29
(expected since Plekanec has more ice time on special teams. The shift after the PP or PK Plekanec is going to need rest)

Total
Plekanec 20:14
Gomez 18:33
Actually, if you read what I said you would note that I said Gomez got more ES and PP time that Pleks... I didn't say total ice time

Last edited by overlords: 06-30-2011 at 09:34 PM.
Old
06-30-2011, 09:35 PM
znk

Quote:
Originally Posted by HCH View Post
Actually, if you read what I said you would note that I said Gomez got more ES and PP time that Pleks... I didn't say total ice time
I did and I showed Plekanec had more PP time per game then Gomez. The only place Gomez had more ice time was ES and barely. Plekanec played fewer games.

Old
06-30-2011, 09:38 PM
Talks to Goalposts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoseLa View Post
Gomez made a lot of poor defensive play, i don't remember Plek doing so.

At the end it might just be a feeling bur Gomez looked like he had a very poor defensive season if i rely only on what i saw.
Gomez is a lot like a puck moving defenseman, he may make some gaffes but there is great defensive value in a guy that can get the puck out of the defensive zone and into the offesnive zone as well as he does. He's got such a lopsided skill set that it can be really hard to judge visually if he's being effective at what he does or not.

Old
06-30-2011, 09:47 PM
macavoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
Yes, and who do you think will get the PM's complaining after that point?

Good idea though, I will keep it in mind tomorrow if **** hits the fan
I wonder how I know about the ability to ban people from threads lol

but I honestly, think that is the coolest thing ever.

I know I like to dance on the edge but pre emptively banning me from a thread when I get too close to the lines sends a much stronger message than giving me a 5 point infraction for spamming.

I think way more internet forums should utilize this feature. Its really good.

Old
06-30-2011, 10:00 PM
eyeball11

Outsider question (maybe it's been covered but don't want to read all the pages):

When the Habs traded for Gomez, trading for one of the worst contracts in the NHL was explained away because he brought Gionta and Cammalleri with. I have to wonder, if that's the case, what message would trying to shed him so soon after send?

Old
06-30-2011, 10:03 PM
Drive425

Quote:
Sounds alot like the Halak vs Price posts.

Old
06-30-2011, 10:35 PM
Goldthorpe
Meditating Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeball11 View Post
Outsider question (maybe it's been covered but don't want to read all the pages):

When the Habs traded for Gomez, trading for one of the worst contracts in the NHL was explained away because he brought Gionta and Cammalleri with. I have to wonder, if that's the case, what message would trying to shed him so soon after send?
The big difference between now and then, is that Plekanec has developped into a legit top 6 forward, arguably a better player than Gomez. Two years ago, after Koivu, we had absolutely nobody.

Old
06-30-2011, 10:45 PM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:
Everyone is going to go crazy about how they were behind Gomez all this time and supported him and how everyone else is a bad fan when he gets carried by Pacioretty+Gionta + great PMDs next season and puts up 60 pts while being sheltered like crazy behind Plekanec playing softer opposition.

Just watch..
If you look at Gomez's stats, in depth, over the past few years, you would notice how last season clearly stands out as an anomaly. It has nothing to do with teammates or what not. If he gets carried by Gionta+MaxPac+PMDs, then he will get far more than just his usual 55pts. I would think he'd get upwards of 70pts if he really does get taken on for a ride by the rest of the talented squad.
He wasn't carried by his linemates or PMDs in his first year here as we lost Markov and Gio-Cammy to injuries while Pouliot went cold after his post trade hot streak, and he managed his usual total. So, I think Gomez is likely to get around 55pts with average contribution from the rest of his linemates.

Old
06-30-2011, 10:53 PM
Zorba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
If you look at Gomez's stats, in depth, over the past few years, you would notice how last season clearly stands out as an anomaly. It has nothing to do with teammates or what not. If he gets carried by Gionta+MaxPac+PMDs, then he will get far more than just his usual 55pts. I would think he'd get upwards of 70pts if he really does get taken on for a ride by the rest of the talented squad.
He wasn't carried by his linemates or PMDs in his first year here as we lost Markov and Gio-Cammy to injuries while Pouliot went cold after his post trade hot streak, and he managed his usual total. So, I think Gomez is likely to get around 55pts with average contribution from the rest of his linemates.
No offence but keep dreaming. He has a diminished skill set. Gomez over the last 4 years is on a steep decline in every category. THeres no way he gets 45 assists next year and Isay that cause theres almost no chance he get 10 goals. He will probably end up between 40-45 points

Closed Thread