HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Souray waived (for buyout)

Closed Thread

Old
06-30-2011, 05:30 PM
Blueland89

vCash: 500
could Florida bite on this with the Kopecky signing I don't rule anything out

Old
06-30-2011, 05:31 PM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DG View Post
He's so much better than MAB.

He is where he is because he was an idiot about his situation.

He's overpaid, but not by 4.5M. I think he can get more than 1M, but I wouldn't be surprised if he is forced to take less due to his aforementioned attitude.
No he's a slower and as a result worse defensively.

He's also damaged goods. He isn't worth league minimum but you'll get to find that out shortly.

Old
06-30-2011, 05:56 PM
Ajaton Azer
A small hamster

Souray is a good player, but not worth what he was payed for. Welcome to the cap world Sheldon!

Old
06-30-2011, 06:12 PM
RogerRoeper*

Good player ruined by a terrible GM, should be interesting if he has anything in the tank. Only guy with the balls to speak up about the losing culture in Edmonton. Great role models for the rookies he wanted to win and always stood up for them whenever they got hit. Everyone says he was a cancer in the dressing room but I never heard any players say anything just some bum GM who built a terrible team.

All the best to him hope he regains his 20 goals capabilities and ability to plays 20+ mins a game.

Old
06-30-2011, 06:27 PM
the word*

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoeperRoger View Post
Good player ruined by a terrible GM, should be interesting if he has anything in the tank. Only guy with the balls to speak up about the losing culture in Edmonton. Great role models for the rookies he wanted to win and always stood up for them whenever they got hit. Everyone says he was a cancer in the dressing room but I never heard any players say anything just some bum GM who built a terrible team.

All the best to him hope he regains his 20 goals capabilities and ability to plays 20+ mins a game.
If hes so great pick him up for free. Please.

Old
06-30-2011, 06:36 PM
Bubbles
Tank for Tyler2016

I wonder if Gillis would sign him. We just lost a dynamite offensive d-man. If we stick him in the bottom pairing and use him on the PP, he could be worth a one year contract.

Old
06-30-2011, 06:36 PM
Cooperalls
Oiler Fan!!!

Quote:

While I won't disagree that he had a terrible GM, the only person that ruined Souray, WAS Souray.

Old
06-30-2011, 06:45 PM
Tavaresmagicalplay*

Quote:

Apparently you don't know the story but he was scouted by NHL teams while playing in the AHL and nobody wanted to deal for him or claim him on re-entry. Souray is washed up. Tamby didn't do anything to him.

Old
06-30-2011, 07:52 PM
Laus723
#CatsAreComing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueland89 View Post
could Florida bite on this with the Kopecky signing I don't rule anything out
What does Kopecky signing here have to do with Souray???

06-30-2011, 08:16 PM
Paka Ono
Pro Ice Girl Scout

I wouldn't object to seeing him in teal for $1.5M or less

Old
06-30-2011, 08:29 PM
RogerRoeper*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tavaresmagicalplay View Post
Apparently you don't know the story but he was scouted by NHL teams while playing in the AHL and nobody wanted to deal for him or claim him on re-entry. Souray is washed up. Tamby didn't do anything to him.
Never said he wasn't washed up, why so bitter some Edmonton fans. If anyone remembers he played a pretty good season when he was healthy(heres hoping Whitney doesn't have the same misfortune). If I remember right he was playing 24+ mins a game something the Oilers need in the lineup besides that -19 hehe in 09/10

But Souray injuries were pretty bad luck if you ask me. Iginla questionable hit, then him coming back and fighting Iginla, Ironic really since fans were loving the fact he came back and fought. And wow after all the liberites taken on Hemsky and the kid line he was the only really guy who could protect them Huggy Bear and Captain Momentum Killer aren't really that intimidating.

In retrospect to AHL comments I don't know many scouts or read of any stories of this would love to read"not trying to sound sarcastic" all I remember him trying to put the words he said in the past and apologized.

Actually to say Tamb didn't do anything to him can be true but he certainly didn't do himself any favors with Souray you would think he would give him a 2nd chance and show an asset if he still stunk wow big loss 10 games in the NHL go back to the AHL(last either way). Do you remember the Oilers PP it was missing something...Oh yeah that big shot from the point every player feared in the league which Souray would love to unload.

I can honestly seeing a team take a chance on him but if not meh, that shot is still devastating not to have on the PP.

Last edited by RogerRoeper*: 06-30-2011 at 08:31 PM. Reason: Forgot point
Old
06-30-2011, 08:49 PM
SephF
5-14-6-1

Quote:
He was not "the only guy with balls to talk about Edmonton's losing culture". Ryan Whitney amongst several others have made comments about that and helped address it from within.

Whining to the media about not getting phone calls from Steve Tambellini while injured is a "good role model for the kids"? We have a medical staff that was in contact with him constantly and passing information onto Tambo, Souray screwed himself over by making false accusations and whining like a primmadonna. Personally I don't want someone like that anywhere near the Oilers rookies.

Old
06-30-2011, 09:00 PM
Tyrolean

Quote:

No one ruined Souray except for himself.

Old
06-30-2011, 09:41 PM
11Messier

Quote:

Seems like you are the only one here that sees it that way. So after a losing year, Mr. Souray goes to the media and bashes management about how he wasn't catered to his satisfaction and then HE DEMANDS to be traded. Management makes no comment.

Then because he thinks he's all that, he publicly gives a short list of teams that he would like to go to. This totally handcuffed managements ability to get anything in return but sure enough none of those teams wanted him anyways. When that didn't work, he opened up to getting traded anywhere but once again nobody wanted him at his inflated contract.

Management tries to get rid of him by putting him on waivers not once but twice, willing to pay half his salary to any team that will pick him up. Every team passes because they still don't see his value. Now they are offering to buy him out (give him money for nothing) so that HE can move on with his NHL Career and you have the gull to say that Management ruined him.

The only thing management did wrong was to give this egotistical person an over paid contract, present him as a superstar to the fans and gave him the privilege to be in the NHL and an Edmonton Oiler. Unfortunately, he thought he was above all this and that is what ruined his career.

I have nothing against Souray. I liked the guy as an oiler. He had a hell of a shot and stood up for players. Just before all of this broke out, I thought he should even be captain but I agree with Tambi. If you ask to be traded, especially in such a volatile way, you are not allowed back in that dressing room.

I am just curious to see if he learned anything from this and we will find out right away. If he keeps his trap shut and moves on, then he learned. If he goes on a bash fest like he implied he will do, he is not going to be in the NHL for very long.

Old
07-01-2011, 12:51 PM
RogerRoeper*

Quote:
Originally Posted by bam83 View Post
He was not "the only guy with balls to talk about Edmonton's losing culture". Ryan Whitney amongst several others have made comments about that and helped address it from within.

Whining to the media about not getting phone calls from Steve Tambellini while injured is a "good role model for the kids"? We have a medical staff that was in contact with him constantly and passing information onto Tambo, Souray screwed himself over by making false accusations and whining like a primmadonna. Personally I don't want someone like that anywhere near the Oilers rookies.
Wow right over your head.....

Old
07-01-2011, 01:00 PM
RogerRoeper*

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11Messier View Post
Seems like you are the only one here that sees it that way. So after a losing year, Mr. Souray goes to the media and bashes management about how he wasn't catered to his satisfaction and then HE DEMANDS to be traded. Management makes no comment.

Then because he thinks he's all that, he publicly gives a short list of teams that he would like to go to. This totally handcuffed managements ability to get anything in return but sure enough none of those teams wanted him anyways. When that didn't work, he opened up to getting traded anywhere but once again nobody wanted him at his inflated contract.

Management tries to get rid of him by putting him on waivers not once but twice, willing to pay half his salary to any team that will pick him up. Every team passes because they still don't see his value. Now they are offering to buy him out (give him money for nothing) so that HE can move on with his NHL Career and you have the gull to say that Management ruined him.

The only thing management did wrong was to give this egotistical person an over paid contract, present him as a superstar to the fans and gave him the privilege to be in the NHL and an Edmonton Oiler. Unfortunately, he thought he was above all this and that is what ruined his career.

I have nothing against Souray. I liked the guy as an oiler. He had a hell of a shot and stood up for players. Just before all of this broke out, I thought he should even be captain but I agree with Tambi. If you ask to be traded, especially in such a volatile way, you are not allowed back in that dressing room.

I am just curious to see if he learned anything from this and we will find out right away. If he keeps his trap shut and moves on, then he learned. If he goes on a bash fest like he implied he will do, he is not going to be in the NHL for very long.
Thank you for a reply that was in depth, I can tell im not gonna sway any opinions after the way this was blown up so agree to disagree. I just think its crazy a guy with his skill that the Oilers needed(my opinion) didn't get a 2nd chance. the culture in the NHL is ever changing.

I can't remember the whole in situation but wasn't there trade talks about moving Souray even before he went to the media like a kid.

I just wish him the best, I really wanted him to be captain too when all Oilers fans were praising him anything was better than captain momentum killer. Well im done for this argument seem like were becoming the new Pittsburgh with the new young fans.

Old
07-01-2011, 01:18 PM
TheSpaceman

Quote:

LOL losing culture/terrible team, he complained about the medical staff not calling him frequently while he was injured. He said something like "While I was injured I wouldnt hear from the medical staff for weeks". Sell out your boss to the media and I am sure you wouldnt keep your job either. He requested a trade and the oilers have tried to meet his demands for years but Sheldon sucks and no one wants him.

Old
07-01-2011, 01:21 PM
Ol' Jase
PLAYOFFS??

Quote:

Yeah, that's exactly why the entire league has passed on this guy for free on three different occasions.

Old
07-01-2011, 01:52 PM
SephF
5-14-6-1

Quote:
Wow right over your head.....
What? Is it supposed to be a joke or something? You seem to be arguing your point with other posters who also disagreed with your post.

Old
07-01-2011, 03:38 PM
smackdaddy
Hall-RNH-Eberle

Quote:
Originally Posted by bam83 View Post
What? Is it supposed to be a joke or something? You seem to be arguing your point with other posters who also disagreed with your post.
Relax, it's RogerRoeper. He's a Leaf troll, and not a very good one at that.

Old
07-01-2011, 03:39 PM
StarsCaptainOU

Welcome to Dallas.

Old
07-01-2011, 03:48 PM
mouser
Global Moderator
Business of Hockey

Please carry on any discussion in the signing thread here: