HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Out of Town Thread part XXIV (All non Habs related news here)

Closed Thread

Old
06-30-2011, 07:22 PM
habsrule22

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTL-rules View Post
That's the kind of contract I'd like the habs offer a little... Heavily front-loaded to reduce the cap hit, but they never do that.

Ex. I would give Richards a 55/60mil, 10 years deal front-loaded... That's the kind of offer that attracts big name free agent.
only problem with that is that Buff. has 7m left and need to sign 4 players. If they sign Richards they would have to drop a couple of players

Old
06-30-2011, 07:24 PM
Talks to Goalposts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koseegin View Post
We now know why the nucks ended talks with Ehrhoff. It's a ridiculous contract.

Just as there is a limit on dollar, there ought to be a limit on term as well.
This is something the have to bring into the new CBA. 6 or 7 year limit to prevent the perpetular shinangens that go on.

As far as the current rules go, this is a contract that goes right up to the line of what is allowed without stepping over it. No years above 39, no half million dollar years, but managing to reduce what should be a 36 million dollar over 6 years contract to a 4 million dollar cap hit.

Declining contracts are fine, they give something to trade to the bottom teams. Its the years they never actually intend to honour that get to me.

Old
06-30-2011, 07:26 PM
Talks to Goalposts

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsrule22 View Post
only problem with that is that Buff. has 7m left and need to sign 4 players. If they sign Richards they would have to drop a couple of players
They'll probably dump Kotalik to Portland, that gives them another 3 million to work with.

Old
06-30-2011, 07:29 PM
Max Levine

10 years is very risky. But at a salary cap of $4M, Buffalo is doing a good thing. Of course, Ehrhoff might not have been the guy I would have given that many years (Myers would make more sense) but I guess they were very high on him (or they were very high, period).

Old
06-30-2011, 07:38 PM
Roke

When the new CBA came out I was puzzled by the averaging of salaries for cap-hit rather than using the actual salary in any given... I thought all it did was protect General Managers from themselves and removing a tool for salary-cap management.

I was wrong... they found a way around it. And if the NHL gets exactly what they want in the next CBA teams will find loopholes in that as well. It's the nature of regulation, somebody's always pushing for a competitive edge, seeing how far they can go.

Old
06-30-2011, 08:00 PM
MathMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
Buffalo has a better team now IMO. So Bruins and Sabres better than the Habs, and the Leafs should get a bit better. I really hope Gauthier knows what he's doing.
I think it's Montreal-Boston-Buffalo, but it could easily turn out to be Montreal-Buffalo-Boston. Anything can happen, of course, but wouldn't it be funny for the overhyped defending Cup champs to be third in their own division.

Montreal has the best D of the lot, Boston probably the worst at this point. Buffalo still need to add forwards.

Old
06-30-2011, 08:02 PM
MarkovsKnee

10 years for Ehrhoff! Holy ****! True cap hit is only $4m, but I hate those bizarre long term contracts. Yikes.

Old
06-30-2011, 08:04 PM
znk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roke View Post
When the new CBA came out I was puzzled by the averaging of salaries for cap-hit rather than using the actual salary in any given... I thought all it did was protect General Managers from themselves and removing a tool for salary-cap management.

I was wrong... they found a way around it. And if the NHL gets exactly what they want in the next CBA teams will find loopholes in that as well. It's the nature of regulation, somebody's always pushing for a competitive edge, seeing how far they can go.
The average is the best way to do it. Otherwise it would be even more messy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CammerScores View Post
10 years for Ehrhoff! Holy ****! True cap hit is only $4m, but I hate those bizarre long term contracts. Yikes.
There is a risk with those contracts. But if they are front loaded those become prime bargaining chips at the end for teams who want to reach the floor but dont want to spend the money.

Old
06-30-2011, 08:42 PM
bcv
My french sucks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roulin View Post
Agreed. Some teams have found takers for their gambles (Carter, Richards), others have not (Lecavalier). I don't think there is much of a market for Kovalchuk right now.
No market for a 50g/90p making 6.6M a year? Right... it's a great cap hit.

Old
06-30-2011, 09:34 PM
Max Levine

Ericsson 3 years for $3.25M per.

http://twitter.com/#!/TSNBobMcKenzie...07255063117824

Old
06-30-2011, 09:45 PM
MarkovsKnee

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcv View Post
No market for a 50g/90p making 6.6M a year? Right... it's a great cap hit.
Well, he wasn't anywhere close to that last year with 31g, 60 pts and a brutal -26.

I personally don't like those kind of contracts. I think 6 years, which is what Pleks signed, is long enough. Plus, it ensures there is no cap run around. At 6 years, Ehrhoff's cap hit would be $5.6m not $4m, and Kovalchuk's would be $8.5 m and not $6.6m.

I have to believe the NHL is going to put a cap on term in the next CBA.

Old
06-30-2011, 09:56 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
And the Sabres keep getting better, man I wouldn't be surprised if they offered a crazy contract to Richards and get him under contract. Buffalo is going to be a hard 2 pts next year

Old
06-30-2011, 10:00 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Levine View Post
Wow...thta's a crazy salary for a home town discount, he's making more than freaking Jokinen who is a 50-60 point guy...Ericsson is a solid #4-5 d-man worth 2.5-2.7 mil at best.

Old
06-30-2011, 10:01 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
And the Sabres keep getting better, man I wouldn't be surprised if they offered a crazy contract to Richards and get him under contract. Buffalo is going to be a hard 2 pts next year
The only way Buffalo could afford Richards is to dump Vanek or Miller.

Old
06-30-2011, 10:03 PM
guest1467

Its funny how getting two essentially "average(Erhoff is a little above average)" defensemen changes people's minds about a team so easily.

Such knee-jerking goes on during this time of year.

Old
06-30-2011, 10:12 PM
macavoy

I don't get what the problem is. Ehrhoff is going to be stuck playing for $1m a year when he's like 33 years old. This contract didn't even take him close to 40 years old, he'll be like 35 at the end of it.

He left so much money on the table its not even funny, it was a super bad deal for him imo. He bought into Pegula's snake oil. Someone would have given him $30 for 5 years, except he took $40 for 10 years, he basically pimped himself out for twice as long for only $10m more.

Old
06-30-2011, 10:12 PM
Max Levine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
Wow...thta's a crazy salary for a home town discount, he's making more than freaking Jokinen who is a 50-60 point guy...Ericsson is a solid #4-5 d-man worth 2.5-2.7 mil at best.
They were talking about $2M not too long ago so that's a little steep. As for Jokinen, he is a bargain at $3M per considering what he could have gotten tomorrow.

Old
06-30-2011, 10:25 PM
HabsSlappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by macavoy View Post
I don't get what the problem is. Ehrhoff is going to be stuck playing for $1m a year when he's like 33 years old. This contract didn't even take him close to 40 years old, he'll be like 35 at the end of it.

He left so much money on the table its not even funny, it was a super bad deal for him imo. He bought into Pegula's snake oil. Someone would have given him $30 for 5 years, except he took $40 for 10 years, he basically pimped himself out for twice as long for only $10m more.
When someone says they will give you 8 million dollars tomorrow, it's hard to turn down. The capital gains on that alone is phenomenal. Not to mention 10 million more over the next two years. The sooner you get that money the more compounded interest.

Last edited by HabsSlappy: 06-30-2011 at 10:31 PM.
Old
06-30-2011, 10:30 PM
Talks to Goalposts

Quote:

Ehrhoff is 29, he doesn't start making 1 million til he's 35, the contract ends when he's 39.

Old
06-30-2011, 10:39 PM
macavoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsSlappy View Post
When someone says they will give you 8 million dollars tomorrow, it's hard to turn down. The capital gains on that alone is phenomenal. Not to mention 10 million more over the next two years. The sooner you get that money the more compounded interest.
If someone else was going to give you an average of $6m for the next 5 seasons, it would have likely included $7 or 8m next season.

$8, $7, $6, $6, $5, $4

sounds a lot better to me than

$8, $8, $6, $6, $4, $4, $1 $1 $1 to me

Old
06-30-2011, 10:41 PM
macavoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talks to Goalposts View Post
Ehrhoff is 29, he doesn't start making 1 million til he's 35, the contract ends when he's 39.
Sorry, my bad, I knew I looked up the ages earlier and I knew there was something about 35.

Still, at 35 years old, you don't want to be stuck playing for the next 4 years at $1m.

My point is, he could have done better. At least Luongo's $1m seasons are when he's over the hill. At 35, we had a very useful Hammer. At 37, we have hammer turning down a $3m offer. Imagine being 3 years younger than Hammer and having to work for $1m.

Also factor in inflation, that $1m is going to be like working in the AHL.

Old
06-30-2011, 10:45 PM
Talks to Goalposts

Quote:
Sorry, my bad, I knew I looked up the ages earlier and I knew there was something about 35.

Still, at 35 years old, you don't want to be stuck playing for the next 4 years at $1m.

My point is, he could have done better. At least Luongo's $1m seasons are when he's over the hill. At 35, we had a very useful Hammer. At 37, we have hammer turning down a $3m offer. Imagine being 3 years younger than Hammer and having to work for $1m.

Also factor in inflation, that $1m is going to be like working in the AHL.
The guys who are still effective enough to be NHLers 35 are pretty rare. Basically he got his 6 year, 36 million dollar contract he wanted but took an extra 4 years to make it happen.

Old
06-30-2011, 10:57 PM
gusfring

Quote:
Simply not true.

Old
06-30-2011, 11:02 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
Quote:
Maybe move Roy at a 4 million cap since Richards takes his spot. After next year, they have Boyes, Hecht, Kotalik, Gaustad and Morrisonn becoming UFA for about 15 million off the cap. I think they are alright and can afford Richards....

Old
06-30-2011, 11:04 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by nittany View Post
Simply not true.
Then how will they do it? They'll have to offer huge money so even in a Ehrhoff type deal it's about 8 mil cap hit. They need every cent they have left just on their RFA's.

So to add 7.5-8 mil they'd need to move one big salary plus maybe a smaller one...Kotalik to AHL plus Miller or Vanek...maybe Pominville but it would be really really tight.

Closed Thread