HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

What the hell do the Panthers do now?

Old
07-01-2011, 02:42 AM
JumpierPegasus
Mhm...

vCash: 500
They can have Ballard back.

We'll take Huberdeau off your hands

Now for an actual response.

I think they will throw a lot of money at Volkun in FA and see how many 1 year overpaid deals they can get away with. Continue on next year and just wait for your deep prospect pool to fully develop and need new contracts

JumpierPegasus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2011, 03:30 AM
davidy2d
Heater Clap Bombs

Wondering if Florida would be interested in Andy Sutton at all? Not really for much in return but he makes $3M~ and is in a contract year. I doubt the Ducks move him but maybe, if he bounced back, he would be of some value to them.

davidy2d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2011, 03:36 AM
PsychoDad

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafsandSharksfan View Post
Komisarek for a 2nd. C'mon, it's the least you guys can do after the McCabe deal...
It's more Komisarek + 2nd for a 7th just to take him from the Leafs.

PsychoDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2011, 03:38 AM
thadd
Oil4Life

Send a message via MSN to thadd
Florida should get a big return of picks and prospects for taking on contracts like Gomez and Komiserek.

thadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2011, 03:54 AM
Parise9Crosby87

take danius zubrus or brian rolston

Parise9Crosby87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2011, 03:57 AM
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!

5y/90m total offer to Stamkos.

BadHammy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2011, 04:06 AM
Vomiting Kermit*

Trade for Dwight Howard.

Vomiting Kermit* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2011, 04:19 AM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

My question would be, if Florida isn't near the cap floor at least by late August and they start throwing some ridiculous contracts out there, would the NHL look into them and maybe void them?

I'm not talking about like a 3/10 for a guy like Brunette but like an AHL scrub at like 3/10? The NHLPA would like that but it would seriously screw up the economics of the NHL.

thestonedkoala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2011, 04:22 AM
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thespeckledkiwi View Post
My question would be, if Florida isn't near the cap floor at least by late August and they start throwing some ridiculous contracts out there, would the NHL look into them and maybe void them?

I'm not talking about like a 3/10 for a guy like Brunette but like an AHL scrub at like 3/10? The NHLPA would like that but it would seriously screw up the economics of the NHL.
That's a good question. I'd guess not but ya never know.

BadHammy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2011, 04:25 AM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thadd View Post
Florida should get a big return of picks and prospects for taking on contracts like Gomez and Komiserek.
not from the Habs... still have lots of $ left and all the top players signed (goalie, most D, all top 6 F and half the bottom 6)

ECWHSWI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2011, 04:27 AM
WingsOverAvs
Non Right Winger

What does Florida do?.....pray Tallon isnt there for very long

WingsOverAvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2011, 04:30 AM
Gudbranson44

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadiansbronco View Post
And how do you know that it aint hapening
if it was one year left on the contract and we were really desperate, lets say at the end of september, then I could see it happening.. but there is no logic to spend 7 mil cap space on a player when there is no real place for him on the team..

Gudbranson44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2011, 04:30 AM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thespeckledkiwi View Post

meh, I think they would be better trading for a (highly) overpaid player that can play in this league, even if only as a 6th D or 3th/4th liner.

ECWHSWI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2011, 04:34 AM
GoHomez

Signing bums to heavily inflated contracts might have an .... ehrm "interesting" effect in the dressing room...

"You know, I dont really have to work any harder cuz they need my contract on the roster, you know... Hey! U should totally check out my new Ferrari after practice!!"

GoHomez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2011, 04:36 AM
thedoctor
                    

has the idea of signing a 35+ player to normal contract with some huge unreachable bonus been discussed? like Bruno for 3m + 9m bonus if he hits 50 goals or something. cap hit for that contact would be 12m... but no funds would have to be expended...

thedoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2011, 04:51 AM
Reid Boucher

Take Rolston!!!

1 year left. 5 mill hit. Veteren. Can mentor the young guys.

Reid Boucher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2011, 05:42 AM
Tender Rip
Learning from Scuds?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedoctor View Post
has the idea of signing a 35+ player to normal contract with some huge unreachable bonus been discussed? like Bruno for 3m + 9m bonus if he hits 50 goals or something. cap hit for that contact would be 12m... but no funds would have to be expended...
Obvious cap-circumvention, loss of draft picks.... not what they need.
There has to be somewhere they can take bad contracts off someones books at a price (picks, prospects). Beyond putting in more than competitive offers for players they actually need, that should be part of their thing, I'd say.

Tender Rip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2011, 05:59 AM
M4k4

vCash: 1024
Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Wings View Post
Put the team up for sale and move them to Quebec City?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holy Jokinen View Post
LOLOLOLOLOLOL

That was an excellent joke, and wonderful contribution to the thread. Statues will be erected in your honor for your intellectual contribution to the game of hockey, and for your apparent complete understanding of the business of hockey.

Once again, thank you for gracing the internet with your few but meaningful words. God knows we need more of that.

By all means, please keep it up.

M4k4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2011, 06:04 AM
Bonesy99

I was thinking about this the other day, I feel that the smart thing to do would be to pay a bunch of average players around 2-3 mil a year for 1 or 2 years. That way at the deadline they are targets for trades. Thus the panthers get to stock up on picks, history of the panthers with prospects is not the greatest but you have to build somewhere. They likely wont get too many star players wanting to play there because they likely will not be competing for a playoff spot.

As for the floor, I do believe that the team would lose draft picks as a penalty. That seems to be the factor the NHL uses a lot. Which would drive teams to at least make the floor. I believe with revenue sharing is that a team has to have a certain amount of ticket sales. This is why teams who have trouble selling tickets have theme nights where they charge as low as 15-20 bucks a ticket. One team that does that quite often is the Bolts and i do not understand why as they have one of the better teams in the league. (obviously target market, and to meet revenue sharing targets)

Bonesy99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2011, 06:05 AM
kakemono

Montreal gives:
Gomez and a 4th

Florida gives:
Nothing

kakemono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2011, 06:10 AM
Bonesy99

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkinfeller View Post
If a franchise is unable to comply with the leagues minimum payroll standard, all of the players from that team should become UFA's, and the franchise should be suspended from the league for a period of 1 year.

If an ownership group is unwilling/unable to spend to the cap floor, they're nothing more than an anchor around the foot of league's teams which are working together harmoniously to improve the NHL product while growing the game and it's revenues.

My post is not directed at the Florida Panthers, as I'm certain they will do their best to meet the floor.
lol... you do realize that there are two sides to the NHL the business side and the players side. Clearly this would benefit neither as some players would be out of jobs, and business men would likely not want to invest in a league that would have there team sit out a year (lots of these owners own the rinks and stores inside of them). Obviously there are other sources of income but that idea is the worst one if you want to support teams in smaller markets.

Also they do not work together, they are just in the same industry. They actually compete with each other. Every team has the goal of winning the cup, and every team has the goal of making the most money. Some teams just can not achieve that in one season or two, they have to work for it.

Bonesy99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2011, 06:30 AM
Coolburn

Send a message via AIM to Coolburn Send a message via MSN to Coolburn Send a message via Yahoo to Coolburn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tender Rip View Post
Obvious cap-circumvention, loss of draft picks.... not what they need.
There has to be somewhere they can take bad contracts off someones books at a price (picks, prospects). Beyond putting in more than competitive offers for players they actually need, that should be part of their thing, I'd say.
Yes but they can do some more realistic performance bonus contracts. For instance, lets say to someone like Kovalev...bonuses if he reaches 30 goals, 75 pts, etc. Those arent out of the realm of possibility since he has reached those before. And I know people are going to say well thats not likely he reaches them at his age but Selanne is older and produced better than those numbers. Im sure the league would allow a deal like that and wouldnt be cap circumvention technically (I cant see how the league would prove those are unrealistic bonuses). They could do something similar with Arnott too (with probably lower numbers). Also they could sign one of several goalies to an incentive-laden deal which will help them reach the floor (my preference would be Harding).

Plus I'm sure Tallon is going to try and throw money at guys like Connolly, Ryder, etc and will get at least 1 guy to sign so that'll be a big cap hit there. I'm just hoping the deals arent longer than 3 yrs so that it wont impact all the young players that will eventually need new deals near that time.

Last edited by Coolburn: 07-01-2011 at 08:20 AM. Reason: spelling
Coolburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2011, 06:37 AM
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder

Overpaying 1-year deals for scrubs is really going to help those young players develop.

Money grubbers who don't give a **** about the team and who are gone at the deadline/end of the year, who won't hustle and push those kids.

Ah yes, how to build a winner perennial loser.

Em Ancien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2011, 06:45 AM
pb1300
BLEED RED

Send a message via Yahoo to pb1300
Quote:
Originally Posted by WingsOverAvs View Post
What does Florida do?.....pray Tallon isnt there for very long
Gotta love trolls, they have nothing better to do

pb1300 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2011, 06:50 AM
Mogo
(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻

Even after we sign Mathias, Santorelli RFA's. If we sign Reasoner, Samsonov around 2M$ per guy. Sign Gudbranson and Vokoun. Were looking to near 10M$ still to get to floor

Maybe...

Scottie Upshall 4.2M$ per year / 5 years
Ed Jovanovski 4.5M$ per year / 3 years
Jason Arnott 4M$ per year / 2 years
Ben Eager ??? $ / 3 years
John Madden if they don't sign Reasoner

Overpayment? Hell yes.. We got the money

I don't see Samsonov coming back if we sign another higher end winger.

Mogo is offline   Reply With Quote