HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Minnesota Wild
Notices

Realigned!!! [3/7 update: CHI - COL - DAL - MIN - NSH - STL - WPG; NHLPA approves]

Old
06-27-2011, 12:50 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by squidz View Post
I've been lurking these boards for a while, and finally signed up to comment on this:

Similar to what Jarick's saying, I think the divisions should split up like this:

Pacific: VAN, CGY, EDM, SJS, LAK, ANA, PHX

Central: COL, WPG, MIN, CHI, STL, DAL, NSH

Northeast: MTL, OTT, TOR, BUF, NJD, BOS, NYR, NYI

Atlantic: DET, CBJ, PIT, PHI, CAR, WAS, FLA, TBL

The only teams in different time zones than the rest of their division are the half MST half PST in Pacific and Colorado in Central. Now you don't have the issue of Minnesota having extremely late games in Vancouver 3 times a year, or San Jose having extremely early games in Dallas 3 times a year.

It keeps most rivalries intact, and encourages new ones. Minnesota will have a chance to have regional rivalries with both Winnipeg and Chicago. Columbus will be able to develop their rivalry with Pittsburgh. The only team really cut off is Colorado.

Expansion into Kansas City or Seattle would work easily under this setup. Even QC getting a team could work out by moving Detroit back into the Central.

The season would have home and home with all teams outside the division (46 games for 7 team div and 44 games for 8 team div) with 3 home, 3 away for inside the division (36 games for 7 team div and 42 for 8 team div). The 8 team divisions would each have 4 rotating teams that they only play once to bring them back down to 82 games, or the 7 team divisions could have 4 more cross division games to bring them up to 86.

For playoffs, each division is guaranteed two teams with home ice, with the 8 highest ranking remaining teams across all four divisions getting away seeds. With the number of interdivision games, this will prevent a "weak" division from getting teams in that don't deserve it (I'm looking at you Eastern Conference). Every division still gets at least two teams in, guaranteeing there's something of interest for every division.
Best first post ever. Welcome!

"Will beats skill when skill doesn't have enough will."
-Doug Woog
1974 1976 1979 2002 2003 2014?
GopherState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 01:07 PM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by GopherState View Post
Best first post ever. Welcome!
Thanks! I'll have to fill out something in the "Behind the Posters" thread when I get home from work.

squidz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 01:33 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

See guys, I've gotten TWO people to sign up on these boards unsolicited. I deserve some punch and pie.

I still think that the "West" and "East" should each have 15 teams though. That just seems to mess things up when it comes to playoffs. Or maybe it doesn't, who knows.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 01:40 PM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
See guys, I've gotten TWO people to sign up on these boards unsolicited. I deserve some punch and pie.

I still think that the "West" and "East" should each have 15 teams though. That just seems to mess things up when it comes to playoffs. Or maybe it doesn't, who knows.
It sounded to me like the league was doing away with East and West entirely, treating the four separate divisions as their own unit. I think that works out for the best because there's just too many teams on the East Coast for anything to really work otherwise. I think that, as long as there are a mix of guaranteed and "wild card" playoff spots, it shouldn't be an issue.

Old
06-27-2011, 01:54 PM
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

vCash: 50
Bringing back division playoffs is the best idea, that's where rivalry is born!

TaLoN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 01:56 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post

You really do.

GopherState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 01:58 PM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaLoN View Post
Bringing back division playoffs is the best idea, that's where rivalry is born!
Top 4 teams play best of 5 (7? playoffs are too long now) series to determine the rep from each division, then have a 4 team playoff between divisions? Sounds great!

Old
06-27-2011, 02:03 PM
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

Playoffs too long!? No way! Stay with best of 7 for the first two rounds for division champs!

Old
06-27-2011, 02:05 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I would really like the first round to be best of five, the playoffs drag on for way too long. However, the divisional playoffs would make things a lot more interesting IMO.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 04:03 AM
Avder
Global Moderator
Sleep? What's that?

I admit, it would be cool to have the divisional championship be determined in a playoff instead of most points in the regular season.

Avder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 04:34 AM
Foxlockbox
:laugh: is my period

vCash: 850
You sure do love renaming threads, maybe this one would deserve a new name already..

Foxlockbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 11:15 PM
sushinsky4tsar

I would be really leery of any alignment that puts Winnipeg outside of the Pacific in a 4-division league. I know people are factoring in the time zone difference, but unlike the Wild, I think the Jets would gladly pay the price of being the CT odd duck in that division. Only giving Winnipeg a home and home against the other West Canadian teams would be a huge FU to that franchise.

Just look at the TSN draft coverage. "Three Canadian teams will draft in a row." "The next Canadian team isn't up until pick 13." Count on Canada being consolidated in to one division in the East and one in the West.

sushinsky4tsar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 11:22 PM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Winnipeg doesn't fit in a Pacific conference. A large part of realignment is to alleviate the supposed travel advantage that Eastern conference teams have. Just as important are geographic rivalries. Winnipeg will be in the same division as the Wild, guaranteed. Just look at how many Jets fans made it to the draft. The Wild need a nearby team to develop a rivalry with. Canadian teams playing against each other aren't a big deal anyway, except for Leafs/Habs and the Battle for Alberta. In fact, having Canadian teams in 3 of the 4 divisions pretty much guarantees a team of interest to Canada is playing nearly every night. I see absolutely no value in lumping them all together, and there's a lot of reasons not to.

Old
06-29-2011, 02:17 AM
Avder
Global Moderator
Sleep? What's that?

I agree with squidz. Winnipeg in a Pacific division just doesnt make sense anymore. They're in the Central Time Zone, and its an absolutely huge travel net to cast not just on them, but everyone else in the pacific. With the fans from Winnipeg coming down here during the draft and with the showing they had at a game or two at the X this year I think that pretty much says "We want a rivalry with Minnesota" from their fans. Geographic rivalries are good. Thats why I want to be in a division with both Chicago and Winnipeg. Both are good geographic rivalries waiting to happen.

You also have to look at the other desired rivalries of other teams that are likely to end up in the Midwest division. Chicago is not going to want to let go of its rivalry with Detroit, and Detroit is likely going to want to rekindle its old rivalry with Toronto. Thats what leads me to believe that the lineup for the Midwest is going to include Winnipeg, Minnesota, Chicago, Detroit, and Toronto Thats five of the minimum seven teams. Other teams that are close to that grouping geographically are Saint Louis, Buffalo, Ottawa, and Columbus. Pick two to three depending on if the Midwest is going to have seven or 8. I want Saint Louis and Buffalo, with Ottawa as my third choice.

Old
07-01-2011, 12:38 AM
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

I'm really liking this scenario...

It's from the bleacher report... but for some reason the boards aren't allowing links to the bleacher report...

East Division

Montreal
Boston
NYR
NYI
New Jersey
Philly
Pittsburgh
Washington

South Division

Florida
Tampa
Carolina
Nashville
Columbus
St.Louis
Dallas

Midwest Division

Ottawa
Toronto
Buffalo
Detroit
Chicago
Minnesota
Winnipeg

West Division

Colorado
Phoenix
Anaheim
LA
San Jose
Edmonton
Calgary
Vancouver

There would be 2 conferences, but the only time the conference comes into play is come 2nd round of the playoffs. Otherwise, outside of each division (you play each division opponent 6 times), the schedule is completely balanced with all other divisions (play a home and home with every other team).

Last edited by TaLoN: 07-01-2011 at 12:59 AM.
Old
07-01-2011, 12:58 AM
llamapalooza
Hockey State Expat

I can't imagine Toronto or Ottawa would vote to be in a division without Montreal.

llamapalooza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2011, 01:13 AM
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

You know Toronto would love to get back with Detroit though.

Old
07-01-2011, 01:38 AM
GophersGoneWild
Was MN_Hockey_in_AZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by llamapalooza View Post
I can't imagine Toronto or Ottawa would vote to be in a division without Montreal.
Good point, but they'd still get a home/home with them, along with replacing Montreal with two other O6 teams. In the case of Toronto, I'm sure the league would be willing to tweak the schedule a little to allow them to play Montreal four times per year instead of two.

GophersGoneWild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2011, 01:41 AM
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

You will never have a scenario that is perfect for all teams... so you go with the scenario that is best for most... and that is probably the best scenario I've seen thus far.

And no, I don't see any team getting special scheduling favor... as then you would have other teams asking for the same, then you are unable to have every team play a home and home with everyone else.

Montreal NYR and Boston, 3 O6 teams in one division.

Toronto Detroit and Chicago, 3 O6 teams in one division.

It's about the best you can get away with.

Old
07-01-2011, 02:00 AM
Fel 96
JFC

vCash: 2037
Send a message via MSN to Fel 96
I actually agree with you.

I think it'd be fair.

Fel 96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2011, 07:22 AM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Toronto will be the same division as Montreal.

I feel confident saying that Columbus will be in the same division as Pittsburgh. Detroit will play almost exclusively against Eastern time zone teams. Winnipeg-Minnesota-Chicago will be in the same division.

Chicago might not want to break away from Detroit, but Detroit's long professed desire to play EST teams probably stops that concern from being mutual.

Old
07-01-2011, 08:26 AM
Avder
Global Moderator
Sleep? What's that?

Swap out Ottawa for Montreal then in the Midwest. Everyone is happy.

Old
07-01-2011, 09:14 AM
Velmeran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avder View Post
Swap out Ottawa for Montreal then in the Midwest. Everyone is happy.
Except for all those previously Easter Conference teams who now have to travel a little bit farther for their divisional games

Detroit can talk about how much it wants to be in the East (they've been asking for it since what... I can remember them asking in the early 90's, but I'm sure it goes back further) but at the end of the day the NHL isn't going to allow them into the East.

If Detroit goes to the East, what team in the West fills in the void left in the national spotlight? NHL will keep Detroit in the West in order to have an option to pitch to NBC and Versus for Western Conference games.

Velmeran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2011, 09:38 AM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velmeran View Post
Except for all those previously Easter Conference teams who now have to travel a little bit farther for their divisional games

Detroit can talk about how much it wants to be in the East (they've been asking for it since what... I can remember them asking in the early 90's, but I'm sure it goes back further) but at the end of the day the NHL isn't going to allow them into the East.

If Detroit goes to the East, what team in the West fills in the void left in the national spotlight? NHL will keep Detroit in the West in order to have an option to pitch to NBC and Versus for Western Conference games.
The pitch for west games is the timeslot. That and with home and home series for all teams, there will be an East team on the West coast at the very least once a week. Putting Detroit in the "Central" conference isn't going to make a real difference in that regard. They would still only be playing a home and home against teams in MST and PST. Time zones are the real issue for week night games. They need games to be early enough for people to get to bed on time for work the next day on the East coast, but late enough for people on the West Coast to be home from work and able to go out and watch the game.

Old
07-01-2011, 09:44 AM
Velmeran

Quote:
Originally Posted by squidz View Post
The pitch for west games is the timeslot. That and with home and home series for all teams, there will be an East team on the West coast at the very least once a week. Putting Detroit in the "Central" conference isn't going to make a real difference in that regard. They would still only be playing a home and home against teams in MST and PST. Time zones are the real issue for week night games. They need games to be early enough for people to get to bed on time for work the next day on the East coast, but late enough for people on the West Coast to be home from work and able to go out and watch the game.
NBC Saturday/Sunday games? General complaint is that they feature the same teams too often. Now granted Detroit being one of those teams that people complain is getting featured too often, however Detroit is about the only Western Conference team that NBC uses. With Chicago's recent return to glory they've started to be featured a bit more; but that is really about it as far as the networks are concerned for teams in the West.

The teams pacific teams are viable options for weekend day games on NBC.

Velmeran is offline   Reply With Quote