HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

The All Things Brad Richards Thread

Closed Thread

Old
07-01-2011, 08:29 AM
Joey Hoser

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveV View Post
Following that logic, why do we have Burke then?
For the same reasons we have all of Nonis, Dudley, Fletcher and Poulin.

Quote:
I'm sorry, but on this day, he should be doing his job and I don't care what honorable commitment he had. If we don't need him today, then we don't really need him I guess. No offence to Nonis, but I'd rather have Burke in the room selling hard.
Maybe Burke isn't as good at that sort of thing as a guy like Nonis. You're assuming a lot here. I've always been under the impression that Nonis is the guy who does the legwork anyway.

Old
07-01-2011, 08:33 AM
LaPlante94

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Hoser View Post

Maybe Burke isn't as good at that sort of thing as a guy like Nonis. You're assuming a lot here. I've always been under the impression that Nonis is the guy who does the legwork anyway.
Also with the technology these days he could easily be there when they meet with Richards. Video chat is used by millions everyday so I don't see how it couldn't be used today.

Old
07-01-2011, 08:34 AM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

I can see both sides of the Burke MIA situation.

Because they are supposed to be leaving this year this is a great opportunity for MLSE as a whole to garner good publicity while doing a good thing.

OTOH, this is one of the most important days in Richards life/career.

IMO, if Richards doesn't sign with Toronto it would not have mattered one way or another if Burke was there. Toronto has said it won't do cap circumvention deals so already they are playing with a weakened hand if it is just about the money for Richards. If it isn't just about the money Richards will sign with the Leafs because he wants to play for the Leafs.

Whereas the Sabres have to wine and dine players telling them their new strategy, the Leafs strategy has been set for sometime now and everyone knows it. If Richards doesn't he's probably not the smartest player you could sign.

He was the Leafs' leading scorer in the 196364, 196667 and 196970 seasons, and the team's top goal scorer in 197071 and 197273. Keon was considered one of the fastest skaters in the NHL, and one of the best defensive forwards of his era.[3] He would usually play against the opposing team's top centre, and developed a reputation for neutralizing some of the league's top scorers. In 197071, he scored eight shorthanded goals, setting an NHL record.
Old
07-01-2011, 08:34 AM
SteveV*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Hoser View Post

Bahahaha! Burke is the GM, I'm not assuming anything. Who flew over to get Gusto? Who flew over to try and get the Sedins? Who went and talked to Bozak? BURKE IS THE GM and people are actually trying to make it seem like others are better placed to try and land the biggest free agent possibility we've had in years??

Brian Burke has a big personality, he is a great pitchman and would push really hard. I want HIM in that room making the case for the Leafs, not Nonis, and not Dudley who knows JACK SQUAT about this organization, this city, right now. It's a no brainer, Burke should be here and it really bothers me that he isn't, because I believe he can make a difference. Nonis didn't land Gus, it was Burke and he came here because he outsold all the other teams bidding for his services.

Old
07-01-2011, 08:35 AM
Hounsy

vCash: 559
Video conference from Burke in Afghanistan surrounded by some Leaf loving troops he drums up for the win.

Old
07-01-2011, 08:36 AM
ForzaZuffa
Don't stare at it...

Burke has made most of us buy into the Leafs strategy since he came aboard....

Old
07-01-2011, 08:40 AM
LaPlante94

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hounsy View Post
Video conference from Burke in Afghanistan surrounded by some Leaf loving troops he drums up for the win.
Exactly! Burke is a smart man. Who can say no to our troops.

Closed Thread