HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Callahan's Agent Thinking Offer Sheet; Gap in Negotiations; Pot Shot at Richards

Old
07-01-2011, 07:42 AM
Blueblood 2

vCash: 500
Don't worry about Cally. It is Dubinsky that would sign an offer sheet without thinking twice. That is why you hear his name in trade talks. Sather knows.

Blueblood 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2011, 08:19 AM
SERE 24
LGR

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
I hate agents. They sound like tools. One day Bartlett is banging the drum about an offer sheet for one of his clients and then sounding like he wants to make a deal for a player who will make more on the open market than staying in Pittsburgh

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11182...#ixzz1Qqo3Nfy6
His friendship with the Penguin's GM keeps negotiations with Sather from getting too heavy?

And all the people saying Cally wouldn't sign an offer sheet are SO naive. If the deal was enough that we'd actually consider not matching it, (ie: definitive overpayment) he'd sign it. These guys have short careers, professional sports are a business first and foremost, and Callahan isn't banking like some of the other guys either - someone comes out of left field and offers him an absurd deal and the NY loyalty goes out the window; don't kid yourself.

SERE 24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2011, 08:21 AM
SERE 24
LGR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueblood 2 View Post
Don't worry about Cally. It is Dubinsky that would sign an offer sheet without thinking twice. That is why you hear his name in trade talks. Sather knows.
Yes, FANS name Dubinsky in trade talks because Glen Sather told them.

Don't kid yourself. Both are equally likely to sign an offer sheet; if they received a big over payment (the only kind of offer we wouldn't just match anyways) they'd sign on the dotted line and not beat themselves up about it.

SERE 24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2011, 08:22 AM
Vito Andolini

Quote:
Keep living in la-la land if it makes you happy. Generally speaking, hockey players are just like anyone else. If someone else shows them substantially more money, that means they want them more, so that's where they'll go. I doubt Callahan is any different. Joe Sakic wasn't and he was the Captain when he signed the offer sheet with us.

Vito Andolini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2011, 08:23 AM
JanErixon20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prustqvist24 View Post
Yes, FANS name Dubinsky in trade talks because Glen Sather told them.

Don't kid yourself. Both are equally likely to sign an offer sheet; if they received a big over payment (the only kind of offer we wouldn't just match anyways) they'd sign on the dotted line and not beat themselves up about it.
These guys are professional athletes. They all take the money when offered. Just like you or I would.

JanErixon20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2011, 08:24 AM
GeorgeHamiltonsTan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
I agree, I'm a fan of the salary cap when I look at it and how it's done what you say.

However, as a Rangers fan, imagine no cap and Sather finally realizing how to build a winning team?

do you honestly beleive sather has "realized" anything?
If it wasnt for the cap we'd still be stuck in the mid-late 90's. Sather can thank the cap for saving his career.

now that i think about it... if there was no cap, sather would be putting a 100 mil team on the ice that backs into 8th place, perhaps he wouldve ben fired by now?...i dont know which option is better, i think i might have chosen to suffer through another couple of jokingly overpriced/underachieving teams if it meant sather went away. ill take whatever gets sather out of the building.

GeorgeHamiltonsTan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2011, 08:40 AM
Blueblood 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanErixon20 View Post
These guys are professional athletes. They all take the money when offered. Just like you or I would.
If way over paid either guy would, no doubt. Just don't ignore history on which player signed first and which held out. Duby is the far greater risk to bolt. Which do you think Torts would more likely go to bat for? Would not surprise me much to see a core player traded today. If you had to pick, which is more likely to go?

Old
07-01-2011, 08:48 AM
JanErixon20

Quote:
If way over paid either guy would, no doubt. Just don't ignore history on which player signed first and which held out. Duby is the far greater risk to bolt. Which do you think Torts would more likely go to bat for? Would not surprise me much to see a core player traded today. If you had to pick, which is more likely to go?
Depends on the trade. Callahan is considered the Rangers most important forward.

Also if a player was qualified, I don't believe that can be traded just yet. There is a waiting period.

Old
07-01-2011, 08:53 AM
GAGLine

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanErixon20 View Post
Also if a player was qualified, I don't believe that can be traded just yet. There is a waiting period.
No there isn't. The only thing a QO does is retain an RFA's rights past June 30th.

GAGLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2011, 09:00 AM
Zip15

vCash: 50
Sabres fan coming in peace. Be careful with Bartlett. He absolutely will solicit offer-sheets, just as he did in the Thomas Vanek situation. In that case, he wasn't even listening to Buffalo's offers because he knew a team was going to give him way more than anyone would fathom--and he was right. I hope you guys keep Cally, though.

Zip15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2011, 09:17 AM
JanErixon20

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGLine View Post
No there isn't. The only thing a QO does is retain an RFA's rights past June 30th.
Actually it's arbitration I was thinking of. You can't get traded until after the hearing.

Old
07-01-2011, 09:25 AM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
Sabres fan coming in peace. Be careful with Bartlett. He absolutely will solicit offer-sheets, just as he did in the Thomas Vanek situation. In that case, he wasn't even listening to Buffalo's offers because he knew a team was going to give him way more than anyone would fathom--and he was right. I hope you guys keep Cally, though.
I always wonder how much input the players have in this stuff or if they're like "ok just go do whatever"

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2011, 09:25 AM
Blueblood 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
Good point. Never ignore history. It repeats itself.

Old
07-01-2011, 09:46 AM
NYRangers16

Is there a reason we didn't take him to arbitration just to protect ourselves?

NYRangers16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2011, 09:58 AM
OverTheCap

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers16 View Post
Is there a reason we didn't take him to arbitration just to protect ourselves?
Club-elected arbitration doesn't occur often, teams can take a player to arbitration only once during their career. The Rangers are probably still hoping Cally will file before the July 5th deadline, but as of right now, Cally can be exposed to an offer sheet.

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2011, 10:01 AM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

I said on another forum, I think Sather should sit down with Dubinsky & Callahan (individually of course) and tell them he wants to sign them both to identical deals. 5 years, $20 mil a piece. This buys some FA years, it's a nice payday for the players, and 5 years is an excellent duration for the Rangers. That would make them both free agents 2 years after Girardi's contract expires, and 1 year after Staal's contract expires. Timing is preferential and $4 mil is a nice raise for both players. Get it done.

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2011, 08:20 PM
gotmonte

if STAMKOS hasnt gotten an offer sheet yet, I am not too concerned about Callahan.

And I couldnt imagine Cally not staying with the rangers. Especially over a million dollars.

I know it is a lot of money to US, but if Ryan signs with us for cheaper and becomes the captain, he has A LOT more leverage in the next contract.

Seeing how his eyes light up when ANYTHING rangers related is mentioned and how he responds on the ice when his team does well or he gets a goal, you can see he just oozes NYR.

Maybe I am wrong and he says A BIG FU to New York. I doubt it though. He just seems to BE NYR.

gotmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2011, 08:36 PM
NYRKING30

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotmonte View Post
if STAMKOS hasnt gotten an offer sheet yet, I am not too concerned about Callahan.

And I couldnt imagine Cally not staying with the rangers. Especially over a million dollars.

I know it is a lot of money to US, but if Ryan signs with us for cheaper and becomes the captain, he has A LOT more leverage in the next contract.

Seeing how his eyes light up when ANYTHING rangers related is mentioned and how he responds on the ice when his team does well or he gets a goal, you can see he just oozes NYR.

Maybe I am wrong and he says A BIG FU to New York. I doubt it though. He just seems to BE NYR.
just because stamkos has not gotten a offer sheet yet has absolutely nothing to do with callahan getting one. any team that would send an offer sheet to tampa with an intention of signing him away knows they will have to start with atleast a cap hit of 8 or 9 minimum a year... i think anywhere from 8 and up you get 4 draft picks and if not 8 then deff 9. callahan would recieve less per yer and would cost less draft picks wise but still a team to throw a sheet a callahan without the rangers thinking about it would prob need to be a cap hit of 7 a year maybe even 6, anything under and the rangers will match. with that being said i have no doubt in my mind ryan will be our captain next year and more importantly a ranger for a long time. I loved this guy ever since his first game, he is what you call a 10 tool hockey player. 29 other teams would cream their pants for a guy like callahan and any coach would love to coach him.

NYRKING30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 01:46 AM
liv4socr20

Callahan in a full season would have scored 30 this year. He is easily the most offensively consistent forward on our team. He is almost for sure the next captain. He is only improving and at 26 is hitting his prime playing age still. Team USA worthy(Dubinsky has not been thus far). Lock top 6 forward that plays all types of minutes including PK(where he is nasty) and blocks shots.

Players like Havlat(5M) Kessel(5.4M) Cammalleri(6M) Gionta(5M) have less value than a player like Callahan and his agent has probably convinced him of that and are using it as an argument..
Callahan should make about 5.0 to 5.5M a year long term. A deal like Keslers where he got 5M for an extended amount of years. I'd sign Callahan to a 6 year 27-30 million dollar deal.And understand if he wants something like that and call it a day that we have him locked up. Sather probably wants 4.0M Callahan asking for 5M+

liv4socr20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 02:03 AM
Machinehead
RIP Robin Williams

Quote:
**** that. Dubinsky held out because we tried to stiff him and weren't even offering a million.

Machinehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 02:33 AM
Axxion89

Quote:
Originally Posted by liv4socr20 View Post
Callahan in a full season would have scored 30 this year. He is easily the most offensively consistent forward on our team. He is almost for sure the next captain. He is only improving and at 26 is hitting his prime playing age still. Team USA worthy(Dubinsky has not been thus far). Lock top 6 forward that plays all types of minutes including PK(where he is nasty) and blocks shots.

Players like Havlat(5M) Kessel(5.4M) Cammalleri(6M) Gionta(5M) have less value than a player like Callahan and his agent has probably convinced him of that and are using it as an argument..
Callahan should make about 5.0 to 5.5M a year long term. A deal like Keslers where he got 5M for an extended amount of years. I'd sign Callahan to a 6 year 27-30 million dollar deal.And understand if he wants something like that and call it a day that we have him locked up. Sather probably wants 4.0M Callahan asking for 5M+
LOL those two are much better players than Callahan. I would not give him any more than 3.5 million and Dubi 3 million.

Axxion89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 08:07 AM
haohmaru
#bdwyblueshirts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxion89 View Post
LOL those two are much better players than Callahan. I would not give him any more than 3.5 million and Dubi 3 million.
Then you'd lose both and every other GM in the league would be laughing at you.

haohmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 08:16 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

All this offer sheet stuff regarding Callahan and Dubinsky makes my head hurt.

We can't let that happen.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 10:50 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by haohmaru View Post
Then you'd lose both and every other GM in the league would be laughing at you.
what he said...both of them are going to cost us about 4 mil a season.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote