HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

NBA/NFL lockout and its impact on the NHL & Rangers

Old
07-01-2011, 08:42 AM
RangerBlues

vCash: 500
There is nothing boring about baseball.

RangerBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2011, 08:51 AM
Ian
Mike York fan club

Quote:
Originally Posted by chosen View Post
To the original question:

NBA lockout has no impact on the NHL.
Has a pretty big impact on the finances of Dolan/MSG, especially after they spent so much last year.

A long term lockout would likely increase the visibility of the Rangers franchise in NY, but the entire corporate entity of MSG would take a pretty big hit money-wise if those season ticket/merchandise numbers that were expected with Melo/STAT this fall.

Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2011, 09:19 AM
Grumpy Humphrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBlues View Post
This post is a work of pure fiction.

Or maybe you forgot the

Grumpy Humphrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2011, 10:10 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

i love baseball, but in comparison to hockey it is most definitely boring. i still love it though. you can watch a regular season game without actually having to watch it...you know, you have it on in the background, can follow everything that happens, and do other stuff. Hockey you have to stare at the screen for every millisecond because its so breakneck in its action.

In comparison every other sport comes up short in the sheer action that you get from hockey. its not really fair to compare it to anything, and it boggles the mind that its so unpopular compared to the other major sports...particularly football which is also boring imho. 5 seconds of play, 30 seconds of nothing, 5 seconds of play, 30 seconds of nothing.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2011, 10:12 AM
Brunomics

heard today on sportscenter that the nfl talks are now regressing. Don'tk now the details it was mentioned today that the owners are changing some things and the players aren't happy.

Brunomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2011, 10:16 AM
allstar3970

I think hockey does suffer to an extent from one of the same issues soccer does as far as building the fanbase in this country.

Which is that longtime "hardcore" fans tend to look down upon and undermine new fans because they haven't "paid their dues" or refer to them as bandwagoners.

I'm just as guilty at times especially when it comes to teams i cant stand like washington/pitt.

allstar3970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2011, 10:28 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Plains Batman View Post
Hockey is like a cult thing...sorta. It's weird, it seemed so much bigger when I first started watching (when I was 8 in the late 80s); maybe it's because I grew up on Long Island for over a decade but the rivalry was intense and EVERYONE in my school, day camp, grownups, etc. was either with the Rangers, Islanders, or occasionally you'd get a Devils fans.

But back to the cult thing; Mouth from Blueshirt Banter/Underground had a great analogy; the NHL has become a really cool band that's not quite mainstream (I was just listening to Husker Du today go figure) but the real fans get it and know how great it is.

Football is the number one sport and it's so easy to follow with only one game a week and the buildup.

Baseball; once again, maybe it was my innocence but I just don't have the same kind of passion for it. Used to love the game in the late 80s but it's just too much for me now, not fast enough, and my friends kill me with fantasy baseball like 3x a day checking scores and talking about WHIP. THAT is a sport that needs a cap worse than any others. I've been to Kansas City twice and they love the Royals but they can't even compete with the Rays yet alone the Yankees/Red Sox/Mets/Phillies. The Brewers have been to the playoffs twice in my lifetime and once was when Mike Rogers and Mark Pavelich were lighting up MSG
Yea, I agree about Baseball.

Im a Mets fan. But, its not like it was when I was younger and had no responsibilities. Who has time to watch 160 games per year? Of a garbage team...I just can't do it anymore like when I was younger and single and had no kids.

Hockey I can rabidly follow. I can schedule around the 2-3 games per week. My wife and kids enjoy it. And on my spare time I can watch prospects play via internet feeds.

I still love the game of baseball. Just nowhere near what it used to be.

I like football and soccer too.

But nothing holds my interest and attention like hockey does.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2011, 10:31 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
i love baseball, but in comparison to hockey it is most definitely boring. i still love it though. you can watch a regular season game without actually having to watch it...you know, you have it on in the background, can follow everything that happens, and do other stuff. Hockey you have to stare at the screen for every millisecond because its so breakneck in its action.

In comparison every other sport comes up short in the sheer action that you get from hockey. its not really fair to compare it to anything, and it boggles the mind that its so unpopular compared to the other major sports...particularly football which is also boring imho. 5 seconds of play, 30 seconds of nothing, 5 seconds of play, 30 seconds of nothing.
Its more like 5 seconds of play and 20 minutes of nothing... if you include all the empty useless analysis, and then 10 thousand commercials.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2011, 10:34 AM
chosen

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBlues View Post
The game has near doubled in length over the last 40 years.

Players step out after every pitch to adjust something.

Tons of commercials.

Nothing boring?

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2011, 10:36 AM
NHRangerfan
enfoonts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post

Made me think of last fall when there was a baseball game on the same time as a football game...you can actually switch back and forth and not miss any action in either game...pitch-switch-play-switch-pitch...and so on and so on...try it sometime

NHRangerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2011, 11:11 AM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

There probably will be a football season. Someone's going to cave at some point, plus they say negotiations are moving along somewhat well. Also, what are these players going to do, go to Canada?

At least NBA players have the choice to play in Europe for a year like players from the NHL did during the lockout. So NBA players won't be as pressed like the NFL and their large rosters of players where most don't make that much. In the NBA you have smaller rosters of players who make a lot and would be able to make it through a lockout.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2011, 02:24 PM
IBleedNYRBlue

Go on NBA.com or any team site now.

It's disgusting...you can't even see any pictures associated with any current players and the whole NBA site is like a webpage dedicated to Stern and his lockout.

Even the NFL didn't do this. Truly pathetic and disgusting. Im an NBA fan but I might ditch it if this lockout lasts a full year or majority of the season.

IBleedNYRBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2011, 09:00 PM
hockeyman001

In terms of impact on the NHL I've said this for years I'd LOVE to see the NFL lock out more than the NBA, but both would be the best possible scenario for the league.

The NFL is the most overrated league on the planet. It is ALL HYPE and ALL TALK for 16 games. I will admit the games are good to watch, but all the HYPE and TALK is not worth it. Many of the fans that enjoy it enjoy it for the constant action and to some extent the violence, all things the NHL sells also.

It could recruit some fans that way and REDUCE THE HYPE so that news of Rangers training camp is not drowned out by prima donna teammate fights in football training camp between pampered wide receivers and whiny quarterbacks.

I don't think by and large the fans that follow the NBA are the ones you want joining the NHL because they tend to be more corporate and less knowledgeable about the game. The "real fans" that follow the NBA enjoy it for different reasons than NHL fans enjoy hockey. So while I think an NBA lockout would help the NHL, I think an NFL lockout would be far better for A LOT of sports not just the NHL, but it would help the NHL most.

hockeyman001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 02:08 PM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/ho...ome_true_.html

Quote:
A word of advice to NBA commissioner David Stern and Players Association executive director Billy Hunter: Stand for what you think is right, fight hard at the bargaining table for the billionaires and millionaires you represent and refuse to back down, even if it means sacrificing the season.

Especially if it means sacrificing the season.

Sure, you might alienate fans around the country and the world with the one value that you share, greed, but you will make me oh, so very happy.

It's not that I don't like basketball. I'm a hockey writer. You may have seen my back-page story on April 21, the day after Game 4 of the Rangers-Capitals series. It was pretty cool seeing my work get top billing in the Daily News, and with your help, Mr. Stern and Mr. Hunter, I might be able to have that experience a bit more often during the 2011-12 season.

hpNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2011, 10:43 AM
bscharf

Lockouts

With the lockout of the NBA and the slim chance of the NFL

I see a huge opportunity for the NHL to draw alot more attention than in the past.

Anyone agree or think it will have little or no effect?

bscharf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2011, 10:46 AM
bobbop
Henrik's Pop

It already is in Phoenix. Coyotes have sold about 1000 new season packages and according to the team, a lot of them are Sun fans who expect a long lockout. A Suns official told me that they don't expect to play before Christmas.

bobbop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2011, 12:06 PM
bobbop
Henrik's Pop

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Plains Batman View Post
What is poor Mike Franseca gonna do? Either have to talk hockey or have it be a horse racing show
In 1994, Francesa and Russo talked hockey every day for weeks. It was actually pretty cool.

bobbop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2011, 04:55 PM
gluvhand

I think the NHL's numbers will go up only as long as the NBA and NFL are closed. Once they get going again the NHL's numbers will fall to the levels we're at now. We may pick up a few fans that like what they see but no long term positive impact. Just my opinion.

gluvhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2011, 06:33 PM
Florida Ranger
Bring back Torts!

I hope there's an NBA lockout. I hope a season gets cancelled.

I would love to see those NBA ****** laugh now at the NHL.

Isn't like 22 of the NBA teams losing money? I've heard something on the radio about that around two-three weeks ago. Anybody can show some financial situations?

Florida Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote