HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Canadiens sign Y. Weber to a 2-year deal (850k cap hit)

Old
06-30-2011, 01:58 AM
Vsevolod Bobrov
Burn the boats !

vCash: 500
LOL. LJV has definitely gotta be his nickname from now on.

Vsevolod Bobrov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2011, 02:34 AM
SB164

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
I don't like him but he's decent for our depth.
He's Swiss! You buy that at a coffee shop!

Am I doing this right?

SB164 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2011, 02:40 AM
GoHomez

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogtownhabsfan View Post
Subban, Markov, Gill, and Gorges are all locks on our d. Emelin, Weber, and Spacek will be battling for who doesn't sit in the press box I'd guess. I'd like to see:

Markov-Emelin
Subban-Gorges
Gill-Weber

Gives us a vet and a youngster on every pairing, as well as a more offensive/defensive trio of tandems as well...
With the current roster, yes.
If brought along slowly, I think Emelin will adapt to a more NA style of hockey. He is 25, really good and can take care of himself. He is no rookie.
And it is pretty much a hit-or-miss season, if he doesnt establish himself he will be gone by next summer.
I'm optmistic about him being a regular at the end of the season, along with Weber.

GoHomez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2011, 04:26 AM
TheNextOneX

This kid is worth a lot more than that.

Big bargain for the Canadiens.

TheNextOneX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2011, 04:48 AM
jlgib21*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
I don't like him but he's decent for our depth.
Big deal.Why is all our signing for "depth" Depth signing are for championship calibre teams.We're obviously far away from that designation

jlgib21* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2011, 04:52 AM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

Great contract.

He can play forward or defense and he's getter better at both positions. Love Weber.

One Man Rock Band is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2011, 06:31 AM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlgib21 View Post
Big deal.Why is all our signing for "depth" Depth signing are for championship calibre teams.We're obviously far away from that designation
You should bake a cake for Bob Gainey.

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2011, 06:36 AM
TheBuriedHab

I think this is gonna be a break out year for LJV!

TheBuriedHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2011, 07:00 AM
xposbrad

I get that Weber is young, but he had problems getting his shot through on the PP for a long duration last year and that's when our PP started to struggle. (I get that he had a couple of playoff goals as a forward). But when he and Spacek were on the ice together, everyone was scared, and they were pretty bad together.

He has major problems clearing the crease in front of Price. He also is way too inconsisitent on the boards. If we're saying he's good because he's young and could improve that's one thing. But Weber right now defensively needs a lot of work, and he was given a lot of PP time last year when we had injuries and did not deliver.

I don't mind testing the waters with him again, but, eventually he either improves his D game, or we have to ship him out.

xposbrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2011, 07:34 AM
Protest the Hero

Then play him with Gill.

Gorges-Subban
Markov-Yemelin(does he play the right side?)
Gill-Weber
Spacek

Solid enough on paper and if Yemelin is as good as he is in Russia it should be great. I'd like to see a guy like Ericsson signed for cheap-ish.

Protest the Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2011, 07:41 AM
katatoniak

Quote:
Originally Posted by xposbrad View Post
I get that Weber is young, but he had problems getting his shot through on the PP for a long duration last year and that's when our PP started to struggle. (I get that he had a couple of playoff goals as a forward). But when he and Spacek were on the ice together, everyone was scared, and they were pretty bad together.

He has major problems clearing the crease in front of Price. He also is way too inconsisitent on the boards. If we're saying he's good because he's young and could improve that's one thing. But Weber right now defensively needs a lot of work, and he was given a lot of PP time last year when we had injuries and did not deliver.

I don't mind testing the waters with him again, but, eventually he either improves his D game, or we have to ship him out.
I dont remember that, somebody can confirm ?

katatoniak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2011, 07:44 AM
OpenIceHit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less Habitats View Post
Then play him with Gill.

Gorges-Subban
Markov-Yemelin(does he play the right side?)
Gill-Weber
Spacek

Solid enough on paper and if Yemelin is as good as he is in Russia it should be great. I'd like to see a guy like Ericsson signed for cheap-ish.
You guys must stop with Spacek being the 7th D. It won't happen. He's getting 3.8M and will play a total ice time of 3.8M type of D. Same thing with Gomez.

OpenIceHit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2011, 07:47 AM
beowulf
Poster of the Year!

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
I like it, good terms and cap hit. I feel he could start to break out this season.

beowulf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2011, 07:53 AM
FrankMTL

Quote:
Originally Posted by SB164 View Post
He's Swiss! You buy that at a coffee shop!

Am I doing this right?

Yaaaaa, keep it going.

FrankMTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2011, 08:22 AM
xposbrad

Quote:
Originally Posted by katatoniak View Post
I dont remember that, somebody can confirm ?
He had 1:52 on average per game, which was 4th for dmen. But, when Markov went down and we didn't have Wiz, he was getting it with Subban. Either way, his shots were not getting through, they would block them all the time. Wiz had the shot, and it would get through, creating rebounds at least.

I really really hope we somehow sign WIZ.

xposbrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2011, 08:25 AM
katatoniak

Quote:
He had 1:52 on average per game, which was 4th for dmen. But, when Markov went down and we didn't have Wiz, he was getting it with Subban. Either way, his shots were not getting through, they would block them all the time. Wiz had the shot, and it would get through, creating rebounds at least.

Thanks!

katatoniak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2011, 08:33 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish on The Sand View Post
I'm not mad we kept Weber. There would be no point in just dumping him, but we can't ice players like Weber regularly AND call ourselves a contender. The two are mutually exclusive.
First of all he's penciled in as a #6 or 7 depending if they sign another veteran. Why would icing him prevent us from being a contender? That's a ridicul;ous statement if I ever heard one. Detroit won a cup with a guy like Raflaski as a #2/3 guy and Weber has a very similar skillset and is bigger.

Quote:

It's a lot easier to work with a kid on getting his shot through from the point than paying a guy 5 mil a year to do it.

Come on people, have an ounce of common sense. With Subban and Markov on the roster plus guys like Yemelin and Weber who are good point men, spending 5 mil a year on Wisniewski wouldn't be smart asset mangement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyBoyCoy View Post
People need to show some faith. I think anyone with any hockey sense can see the leaps and bounds Weber has come since his days as a disappointing call-up. He's come miles defensively. He's not going to run guys over, ever, because he simply isn't a physical specimen. But he works his ass off in his own end, and positionally he is now very sound. He's now defensively responsible enough to be considered a legit NHL defenseman. Everyone will be loving LJV by season's end.
I agree, I think people grossly underestimate him because he isn't the physical specimen(size skating skills) that Subban is, but he has a good skillset and plays a very smart game. I think it would be a big mistake to trade him unless we are getting a young top 6 forward in the deal. Given regular ice time he sould be a huge bargain at 800k against the cap.

Last edited by PyrettaBlaze: 07-01-2011 at 10:57 AM.
Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2011, 08:38 AM
Habs 1909

Very happy to have him back and hopefully him holding onto a spot in the top 6.

Habs 1909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2011, 08:46 AM
durojean

Weber was really good in a stretch where he replaced none other than Pk Subban.

He made Martin comfortable in scratching Subban a little and the habs won a lot in that stretch...

The guy has potential, he was compared to Pk in junior and has a good skillset. Put him with a stay at home who specialies with clearing the front of the net and he could be really useful for us because he has a good first pass.

The best would have been a pairing of Hamrlik and Weber... Gill could be real good with him to because his force are Weber weaknesses

durojean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2011, 09:00 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quarantesix View Post
the only two guys who are soft are Weber and Spacek.

Markov is not soft at all if he's healthy
Subban gritty
Gorges not soft
Emelin not soft at all
Gill maybe he's soft but he's big and great in front of the net.

small yes but far from soft
Emelin wasn't on the list of our top 6 in the post I was responding to. Hard to physical from the press box.

Gill is soft as butter and Markov is on the soft side and I happen to be one of Markov's biggest fans around here. According to the top 6 the poster quoted, only Gorges and Subban would bring any grit imo, which would make for one of the softest D cores in the NHL imo. Granted we'll see what the actual top 6 is as I believe Emelin will be in the top 6 but we won't know till after camp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
There's no reason this guy can't become the player Wizniewski was for us. He might not be as tall or thick as Wiz.. but he can put on the pounds. He has great vision and can score, its there in the OHL and was there in the AHL, we've seen it in the playoffs.
I think there's lots of reasons Weber can't become the player Wiz was for us. I think it's a major loss to get have him back and don't see how Weber can come close to being anything like the Wiz.

I also don't see why people are so happy with his contract. 850K isn't impressive to me. He hasn't shown much to date and was coming off his ELC, don't see why he got a raise.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2011, 09:27 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
Emelin wasn't on the list of our top 6 in the post I was responding to. Hard to physical from the press box.

Gill is soft as butter and Markov is on the soft side and I happen to be one of Markov's biggest fans around here. According to the top 6 the poster quoted, only Gorges and Subban would bring any grit imo, which would make for one of the softest D cores in the NHL imo. Granted we'll see what the actual top 6 is as I believe Emelin will be in the top 6 but we won't know till after camp.

I think there's lots of reasons Weber can't become the player Wiz was for us. I think it's a major loss to get have him back and don't see how Weber can come close to being anything like the Wiz.

I also don't see why people are so happy with his contract. 850K isn't impressive to me. He hasn't shown much to date and was coming off his ELC, don't see why he got a raise.
Gill is soft?

That's a good one...he blocks shots, plays hurt and shuts down the league's best power forwards but he is "soft"

Thanks, I needed a good laugh this morning.

Old
07-01-2011, 09:39 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
Gill is soft?

That's a good one...he blocks shots, plays hurt and shuts down the league's best power forwards but he is "soft"

Thanks, I needed a good laugh this morning.
Yes, soft as butter. blocking shots, playing hurt and shuttind down power forwards doesn't make you not soft. Gill doesn't hurt a fly, doesn't use his size at all but feel free to laugh all you want.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2011, 09:42 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Yes, soft as butter. blocking shots, playing hurt and shuttind down power forwards doesn't make you not soft. Gill doesn't hurt a fly, doesn't use his size at all but feel free to laugh all you want.
I'll take full team of guys that don't hurt flies if they do those things...because they win games and titles.

Old
07-01-2011, 11:01 AM
Talks to Goalposts

Quote:
So not so much soft as not punishing on defense. I can live with that designation, Subban is the only big hitter on the team right now, although Yemelin might be able to also bring that skill to the table.

Talks to Goalposts is online now   Reply With Quote