HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rules Video

Closed Thread

Old
09-07-2005, 03:31 PM
Levitate

vCash: 500
Rules Video

someone pointed this out on another board...

Check out this video on the rule enforcement for next year. kind of amazing to see how bad things were and how used to the interfering style of play we've become. i personally hope they follow through on this even if it results in tons of penalties

Old
09-07-2005, 04:45 PM
tedtroll

Defensemen are going to get hammered if they enforce no interference on the dump ins.

Old
09-07-2005, 05:26 PM
pld459666

some of those rules are very soft

touchy feely type of penalties that are going to make the game kind of soft in my opinion.

Old
09-07-2005, 05:39 PM
Kodiak

Send a message via ICQ to Kodiak Send a message via AIM to Kodiak Send a message via Yahoo to Kodiak
I hope they stick with it this time. I think 3/4 of the league is not going to know how to play defense under these rules.

Old
09-07-2005, 05:45 PM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666
touchy feely type of penalties that are going to make the game kind of soft in my opinion.

which ones?

Old
09-07-2005, 06:09 PM
Shadowrunner

Send a message via ICQ to Shadowrunner Send a message via AIM to Shadowrunner
I really like it. We will finally see talent and skill being rewarded, rather than goonism. This will eliminate the Marchments of the NHL pretty quickly, as they are only going to hurt their respective teams with their antics.

Old
09-07-2005, 08:27 PM
pld459666

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate
which ones?
the contact on face offs, it's a trench war when the puck is dropped and gaining position si something that should be encouraged. Obviously if you wrap a guy up with a free arm it should be called, but what was shown didn't look like that at all.

Another thing is the little cross checks while in front of the net. I've always been a forward that planted myself there and fully enjoyed the back and forth with the defenceman there, the physicality of the game there was enjoyable, the way this video shows what will be called is disheartening.

there's a few others as well but for the most part I'm kind of disappointed with the direction they are taking the game.

Old
09-07-2005, 09:01 PM
Levitate

might as well give it a shot though, the league has been crap for years...i don't think it can actually get any worse by doing this stuff

Old
09-07-2005, 09:45 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

There will be literally thousands of power plays this year if they enforce everything they say they will. I have a hard time grasping all of this. Being a hockey player all my life through semi-pro, almost every practice, every game, every faceoff you are taught to "Get a stick on him" or "dont allow him to get to the net", "play tough". I cant imagine playing without that hard-nose battling. Thats a huge part of hockey. Call me traditional but thats what makes hockey great, you cant eliminate all of it. All of that battling is considered a penalty. im sorry if someone disagrees, but if youve played any competitive hockey you know what i mean.
What are the defensman supposed to do?! Stand there? Its hard to establish body position on a player without SOME contact. I understand you want to open up the game... but its hard to imagine the game without mucking and grinding. You can say goodbye to that, cause essentially mucking and grinding is a penalty. All that dirty trench work off the boards is gone. Call up Dawes cause if this is the game then hell explode in the NHL. Wow i didnt know it was gonna be this serious. Get the PP and PPK units ready.

Old
09-07-2005, 10:00 PM
AXN

Don't they have this every year? Hope they call it this time. These rules should help the Rangers.

Old
09-07-2005, 10:18 PM
Levitate

i think they're ulimately just going to try to eliminate the worst of the crosschecking/holding in front of the net, which is fine with me

Old
09-08-2005, 12:20 AM
Shadowrunner

Send a message via ICQ to Shadowrunner Send a message via AIM to Shadowrunner
You guys are forgetting that the puck carrier is still fair game; almost all of the rules seem to be intended to let those players without the puck move around and not be tackled, hooked, grabbed, etc., which should, in turn, create more of a positional game.

I don't think hockey toughness will suffer, it will just open up the game, make it faster and more exciting. And it will force teams to value, develop and use actual hockey skills of their players rather than just size and weight.

Personally, I'd take the 50s-80s USSR vs Canada games over anything I've seen in the NHL over the past decade.

Old
09-08-2005, 01:18 AM
Sicilian

man oh man... BEST MUSIC EVER

in all seriousness though, i hope they follow through. i don't think it will make the game soft, it'll just change the definition of toughness, as it will now require some skill and intelligence and overall hockey talent to get good body position.

it definitely makes dale purinton a terrible liability for us. he's going to be burned every time somebody dumps it in and he has to turn around and chase or get a penalty. his skating is just not good enough to handle this IMO.

Old
09-08-2005, 02:02 AM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

i think a lot of defense will be in poke checks, and stick checks. Lifting the opponent's stick is still legal. Clutching and grabbing to slow down any of the players, yeah. I'll be totally glad to see all that BS out of there.

Old
09-08-2005, 08:44 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

What happens if its 3-3 in the third period and theres 3 minutes left in the game with a faceoff in your own end? Immediately the wingers of the other team are gonna go to the net... Wait! you can't touch them! OK so you let them go to the net. Defensemen follow. They both park themselves in front of the net side by side not allowing the goaltender to see a thing. Fans yell "get'em outta there!!!" The defensmen stand there. (all d-men turn into Poti) Otherwise if he attempts to move them out its a crosscheck or obstruction call. THATS the major problem i have. If your not gonna pay the price to stand in front of the crease, what the hell do we have the crease for? I can see alot of goalies taking matters of frustration in their own hands and taking penalties this year.
Ill be amazed if the coaches and players adapt to this quickly or even in one season. IF they say they will call all these penalties this year. Oh and forget about the stanley cup playoffs being a "WAR" cause the battling is gone.

Old
09-08-2005, 08:53 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:
Another thing is the little cross checks while in front of the net. I've always been a forward that planted myself there and fully enjoyed the back and forth with the defenceman there, the physicality of the game there was enjoyable, the way this video shows what will be called is disheartening.

I love that aspect of the game, and people always ask me.. how do you put up with that... and i would always say "i enjoy it!, it getsa me into the game. It gets me nasty!" The goal that you score after being pummeled around for a minute is 10X more rewarding when you can turn around and look that d-man in the eye and laugh at him after he tried to move you out of there... at least someone gets what im talking about... thats hockey.

Old
09-08-2005, 08:55 AM
Levitate

see there's this thing called body positioning, and you can still tie up the other guys stick...i think they'll also let most of the nasty stuff in front of the net go as long as it's not overboard or the defenseman isn't completely wrapping up the other player and tossing him around like you see in that video

Old
09-08-2005, 09:23 AM
pld459666

what they showed in the video

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate
see there's this thing called body positioning, and you can still tie up the other guys stick...i think they'll also let most of the nasty stuff in front of the net go as long as it's not overboard or the defenseman isn't completely wrapping up the other player and tossing him around like you see in that video
during the practice was a really soft gentle shoves that were still going to be called.

I know all about body positioning, it's what is the defenceman going to do to also gain body position. Also, I believe that tying up the players stick while he doesn't have the puck is going to be called for Interference.

The bottom line is that guys are going to have to stand around and do nothing. This really taks away from the game in my opinion.

I firmly believe that these types of penalties are going to make this league alot more boring in my opinion because I think that to much emphasis is being placed on talent and not enough is being placed on the balance between the 2, Talent and Physical ability.

The play in the trenches should be left alone, the clutching and grabing of players skating through the neutral zone should be called, the hooking and slingshooting should also be called, but the physical play in front of the net should be monitored for holding the stick infractions and the obvious cross-checking that we all know are penalties and other rough-house tactics.

I just didn't get a good feeling watching this video.

Old
09-08-2005, 09:29 AM
Jackson Ranger

I don't know...I agree they should do something about the interference in center ice and the tugging and grabbing, but to eliminate the physical work in front of the net is not right. We might as well call the league the NHL/NBA. I mean one of the best things about hockey is you can "get physical" with opposing players in front of your net. From what I see, you won't be able to do much of that anymore if they call it according to the video. Seems very slanted towards the offense!

I love offense but I also love the battles in front of the net.

Old
09-08-2005, 09:33 AM
Jackson Ranger

Quote:
The play in the trenches should be left alone, the clutching and grabing of players skating through the neutral zone should be called, the hooking and slingshooting should also be called, but the physical play in front of the net should be monitored for holding the stick infractions and the obvious cross-checking that we all know are penalties and other rough-house tactics.
I've got to learn to type faster!

Old
09-08-2005, 10:03 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:
during the practice was a really soft gentle shoves that were still going to be called.

I know all about body positioning, it's what is the defenceman going to do to also gain body position. Also, I believe that tying up the players stick while he doesn't have the puck is going to be called for Interference.

The bottom line is that guys are going to have to stand around and do nothing. This really taks away from the game in my opinion.

I firmly believe that these types of penalties are going to make this league alot more boring in my opinion because I think that to much emphasis is being placed on talent and not enough is being placed on the balance between the 2, Talent and Physical ability.

I just didn't get a good feeling watching this video.
Same here, i got a bad feeling, like the games physicality is being toned down too much.
And body position doesnt mean youre in front of someone or at the right angle to the net, it means your up against them and impeding them in some fashion. Thats what a good defensman away from the puck is expected to do from any competent coaching staff, on any level. Nah... im with you on this pld459666.

Old
09-08-2005, 10:11 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

It think if the NHL follows through with every little penalty like they say they will, not only will there be a backlash by the coaches and players but a majority of fans as well. Especially in Canada, because most of the hockey fans actually play hockey or have played hockey and theyll be the first to see the softness.

I believe the NHL wanted to open up the game for more offense, i just think its way too much- thats IF they stick to it. Theyll be a huge part of the hockey mettle or moral fiber or grit or guts or whatever you want to call it - missing from the game.

Old
09-08-2005, 04:27 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Do Malik and Poti become better defensmen because of these rules (if enforced to the max like the NHL claims)?

I would suggest that Puritan wont make the team considering his skating sucks and thats what will be needed in the new environment. No water skiing anymore.

Closed Thread