HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Canucks Re-Sign Chris Higgins to 2-Year, $3.8m Deal ($1.9m/year cap hit)

Old
07-01-2011, 02:20 PM
timw33

vCash: 500
We are building up some excellent forward depth that we aren't really getting a grasp on right now.

timw33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2011, 02:21 PM
AndyPipkin
PSN: Lord_Of_War

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster_bertuzzi View Post
You must have missed the part where Higgins played through a broken ankle..
Also forgetting Hansen showed some pretty slick passing moves this post season.

AndyPipkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2011, 02:23 PM
ChemicalHansen

Send a message via Skype™ to ChemicalHansen
Ward to WSH for 3 mil cap it, for 4 years, as per TSN.

ChemicalHansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2011, 02:24 PM
deckercky

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyPipkin View Post
Also forgetting Hansen showed some pretty slick passing moves this post season.
I think Higgins - Malhotra/Lapierre - Hansen could provide some solid depth scoring this year.

deckercky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2011, 02:25 PM
monster_bertuzzi

Quote:
Originally Posted by timw33 View Post
We are building up some excellent forward depth that we aren't really getting a grasp on right now.
I'm sure everyone is grasping it, but pure and simple the team is worse off right now than it was last year with the losses of Ehrhoff and Torres.

I'm confident MG will get a bonified scorer for the second line and (hopefuly) some toughness for the 4th line resulting in a pink slip for Tanner Glass...

monster_bertuzzi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2011, 02:29 PM
tantalum

Quote:
I'm sure everyone is grasping it, but pure and simple the team is worse off right now than it was last year with the losses of Ehrhoff and Torres.

I'm confident MG will get a bonified scorer for the second line and (hopefuly) some toughness for the 4th line resulting in a pink slip for Tanner Glass...
Try not comparing to the the team that ended the year but rather the one that started it. Higgins and LaPierre are a big upgrade on Torres and Bolduc in that perspective.

Yes the Ehrhoff loss hurts the blueline. But it's July 1 not the 2012 trade deadline.

tantalum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2011, 02:31 PM
deckercky

Quote:

Higgins is better than Torres. Our 4th line is much better. Ehrhoff is obviously a tough loss, but overall, the team barely dropped off.

San Jose is slightly better, but still has questionable goaltending. LA is better, but still not one of the top teams (Richards would make them a top team though). Detroit is worse. Chicago is worse. Most other top teams are remaining about par from what we've seen. It's only bubble teams that are really pushing.

Don't see how Canucks are worse relative to other teams in the West.

deckercky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2011, 02:54 PM
timw33

Quote:

I think the reputation calls that Torres started to get when the league laid down the lay on his clean hit really lessened his effectiveness. Torres big hit = boarding or charging.

I will agree that his physical play will be missed and we need to find a way to replace it.

And absolutely Ehrhoff is a huuuuuge loss, but I don't think there was really a FA replacement that we could make.

timw33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2011, 02:57 PM
VinnyC
Rangers fan I SWEAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by deckercky View Post
Higgins is better than Torres. Our 4th line is much better. Ehrhoff is obviously a tough loss, but overall, the team barely dropped off.

San Jose is slightly better, but still has questionable goaltending. LA is better, but still not one of the top teams (Richards would make them a top team though). Detroit is worse. Chicago is worse. Most other top teams are remaining about par from what we've seen. It's only bubble teams that are really pushing.

I think Burns was the one piece missing from the Sharks. They can get by without an elite goaltenders. And Kings are quite better with Richards on the team, I'm banking on a Kings-Canucks WCF.

But you're definitively right about the Wings, Ericsson at 3.25/year and Commodore are headscratching moves for sure.

VinnyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2011, 03:01 PM
The Bob Cole
Ohhhh Baby.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deckercky View Post

Wait, what?

LA dropping Smyth and getting Mike Richards doesn't make them better?

LA is a team that scares me in the west. Quick is a really great young goalie and they have an excellent defensive core if Doughty pulls his head out of his ass. Their forwards are big and tough and include Kopitar, Richards, Brown, Stoll (helluva player), Williams, Penner (meh, but big). They have good guys in their bottom 6 too.

If I was a Kings fan, I'd be extremely excited for the team. They also have $16 million to spend. Even if Doughty takes up half of that, you can still spend big money on top 6 guys.

The Bob Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2011, 05:45 PM
vanuck
Griffiths Way Goons

Quote:
Originally Posted by spixel View Post
You know...I wonder how good our skills coach is, or the effectiveness of one.
Raymond said that working with Carnegie lots in practice did help his skills in the 2009-10 season, so I think there's some merit to having a skills coach. Plus Raymond was injured for much of the past season anyway. The Hawks are also supposed to employ one too if I'm not mistaken. That being said, if he could start getting our guys to consistently elevate the puck I'd be happy.

vanuck is offline   Reply With Quote