HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Dallas Stars
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Stars sign Michael Ryder (2 years, $3.5M)

Old
07-01-2011, 05:02 PM
Ampersand
Dallas Stars Fan

vCash: 500
Love This

Ampersand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2011, 05:24 PM
Ladyfan
Miss you Savvy !

vCash: 50
Best wishes to Rydes from a B's fan.

Michael was great in the playoffs. I had hope he would sign on for a couple of more years in Boston.

Best of luck in Dallas Newfie !

07-01-2011, 05:25 PM
Dave Karp

vCash: 940
Good signing. 2 year is a good length and the price is quite reasonable considering prior contracts. He's the top-6 winger that Dallas needed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by piqued View Post
Morrow-Ribs-Ryder
Ott-Benn-Eriksson
That's what I'm hoping for.

Dave Karp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2011, 05:25 PM
DaStars99
Purdue Alumnus

vCash: 1425
very pleased with the signing

DaStars99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2011, 05:31 PM
BigG44

vCash: 475
I never even considered Ryder because I never imagine you get this amazing term .. only 2 years. So awesome.

BigG44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2011, 05:56 PM
glovesave_35
Name

vCash: 250
Quote:
Boom. Ryder.

Just who I wanted. Perfect for Ribs.

The day is now officially a success.

Improved wingers, improved PK, improved 7th D.
Pretty much sums it up. Obviously we'll have to wait to see how things pan out with everyone but no silly contracts were given and the players signed address specific roles. I'm most happy that Fiddler's contract is three years and not shorter.

To piggyback your point in the Richards thread, these signings would definitely not have been possible if the Stars were courting Richards.

glovesave_35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2011, 06:00 PM
glovesave_35
Name

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigG44 View Post
I never even considered Ryder because I never imagine you get this amazing term .. only 2 years. So awesome.
I wouldn't have thought so either. It is interesting that Ryder signed for two years and Ribeiro's contract is up in two years. I wonder just how much, if any, Ribeiro influenced Ryder's decision to come here.

Old
07-01-2011, 06:02 PM
SupremefartMachine

Quote:
Morrow-Ribs-Ryder
Ott-Benn-Eriksson
Okay! Bruins fan here. I'm very familiar with Ryder. He's streaky, a bit inconsistent during the regular season. However, in the postseason, yes. He's just dependable and good for game winners. Big game player. I think he'll score some goals in Dallas with ribeiro passing to him. Yeah, he's gonna be awesome with Dallas. Good luck!

SupremefartMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2011, 06:32 PM
catters078

**-Benn-Eriksson
Morrow-Ribeiro-Ryder
Fiddler-Ott-Burish
Dvorak-**-Dowell

** between Vincour and Wandell maybe?? hard to tell..

I say put fiddler with Ott and burish and re-unite a checking line.

Put a youngster with Benn and Loui..

catters078 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2011, 06:32 PM
vofty

Quote:
Originally Posted by laserdragonice View Post
Okay! Bruins fan here. I'm very familiar with Ryder. He's streaky, a bit inconsistent during the regular season. However, in the postseason, yes. He's just dependable and good for game winners. Big game player. I think he'll score some goals in Dallas with ribeiro passing to him. Yeah, he's gonna be awesome with Dallas. Good luck!
Well TY! We just recently departed with our super streaky player in Neal so it was time to bring in a new one.

vofty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2011, 06:37 PM
SupremefartMachine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vofty View Post
Well TY! We just recently departed with our super streaky player in Neal so it was time to bring in a new one.
At least Ryder shows up in the playoffs, that's what's important.

SupremefartMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2011, 07:22 PM
Dominic Roussel
Tank Mode: Fail

vCash: 1951
Quote:
Originally Posted by laserdragonice View Post
At least Ryder shows up in the playoffs, that's what's important.
Well Ryder might have to be showing up to the playoffs to cheer on another team this season.

Of course, I hope I'm wrong.

Dominic Roussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2011, 09:51 PM
Bone for your jar

Golden locks and a golden shot, that's Michael Rydah!

He comes from Bonavista, a fishing town of less than 4000 souls on the Newfoundland coast (supposedly it was Cabot's first sighting of land and he shouted "O buon vista!") and spent his formative hockey years on puke-inducing boat rides to get to away games. Rydes is a good kid and damn, I'm gonna miss his wrist shot.

Cut him some slack the regular season...he'll tend to float. Cut him some slack when, inevitably, he overestimates his skating skills and decides he can take on three players just past the blueline and then, inevitably, gets squeezed out of the puck. The kid will work his tail off during the playoffs, he'll backcheck, he'll score, hell he'll even play goalie if need be.

Good luck to Rydes on his new team!

Bone for your jar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 08:39 AM
piqued
Global Moderator
shift

vCash: 27750
What's interesting about Ryder is that if you look at his shooting percentage just from his first 5 seasons it's 12.6%, which is in line for a skilled goalscorer. But then the past 2 years where he's scored only 18 it's dipped below that number to 9.4% and 10.9% respectively. Now you hear about people projecting certain players to come back down to Earth who have an unsustainably high shooting percentages, well, the same applies in the other direction. I'd expect him to rise back to around the 12 and a half mark, which interestingly enough is also his career playoff shooting %, where everyone says he plays particularly well.

The second point is the disparity between his TOI in Boston and his likely TOI here. He only played an average of 15 minutes a game the past 2 years. Ribeiro, on the other hand, plays about 20 a night. That's a big difference. I won't say Ryder will match that, but you have to assume they'll be somewhat close, or at least closer.

So Ryder last year had 165 shots over 1,144 minutes. Now let's say next year that TOI number goes up to 1,500, barring injury. (I'm still being conservative here, Ribeiro played 1,637) That projects to ~215 total shots. Give him his previous shooting % on those and you're looking at a 27-28 goal season. And that's not even factoring the effect Ribeiro will have in terms of creating high-quality chances like we know he will, or the chemistry they had in Montreal.

30 goals is a realistic target.

piqued is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 11:03 AM
bostone737

Quote:
What's interesting about Ryder is that if you look at his shooting percentage just from his first 5 seasons it's 12.6%, which is in line for a skilled goalscorer. But then the past 2 years where he's scored only 18 it's dipped below that number to 9.4% and 10.9% respectively. Now you hear about people projecting certain players to come back down to Earth who have an unsustainably high shooting percentages, well, the same applies in the other direction. I'd expect him to rise back to around the 12 and a half mark, which interestingly enough is also his career playoff shooting %, where everyone says he plays particularly well.

The second point is the disparity between his TOI in Boston and his likely TOI here. He only played an average of 15 minutes a game the past 2 years. Ribeiro, on the other hand, plays about 20 a night. That's a big difference. I won't say Ryder will match that, but you have to assume they'll be somewhat close, or at least closer.

So Ryder last year had 165 shots over 1,144 minutes. Now let's say next year that TOI number goes up to 1,500, barring injury. (I'm still being conservative here, Ribeiro played 1,637) That projects to ~215 total shots. Give him his previous shooting % on those and you're looking at a 27-28 goal season. And that's not even factoring the effect Ribeiro will have in terms of creating high-quality chances like we know he will, or the chemistry they had in Montreal.

30 goals is a realistic target.
an optimistic target but not unrealistic at all. He played on the 3rd line last year that was always having different players tossed on it. Increases minutes and some play makers on his line will help a lot.

bostone737 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 11:10 AM
Open Ice

I bet you guys get a great season out of him this year. 30 goals is high, but not out of the question. His regular seasons in Boston were maddening with long stretches of time (weeks long) looking lost or lethargic. But - when it counts, the man is present. It seemed like every year he was here he was good for a handful of CLUTCH goals or plays save the Bruins' ass. He was quietly a big part of the Bruins cup run. He was a polarizing player in Boston. Lots of people hated him, but all in all, you got to give it to his ability to come through when it matters. Good solid NHL hockey player. Enjoy, guys.

Open Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 11:34 AM
ryderfan73

It's sad to see Ryder go from such a strong team like Boston but I'm excited to see Ryder play with Ribeiro again (the two tore it up with 128 combined pts in Montreal for those who didn't know), not to mention another native of Bonavista in Adam Pardy. Dallas has made a lot of moves and it seems like they are really trying to build up their roster for the next few seasons! I'm looking forward to a great year out of Ryder and the whole Dallas team, I hope he shows the Bruins what a mistake it was letting him walk.

ryderfan73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 12:18 PM
Stevonidas
Wanna go pretty boy?

Overpaid by about $1 million.

Stevonidas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 12:22 PM
Stars99Lobo37
Away Games - 13

vCash: 1495
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevonidas View Post
Cause we're TOTALLY worrying about overpaying someone and all.

Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs - 1997 to 2011 - WPHL Champions 1998, 1999, 2000 - CHL Champions 2011
Stars99Lobo37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 12:28 PM
Ogi1Kenobi

Quote:
Look at the term of Ryder's contract.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars99Lobo37 View Post
Cause we're TOTALLY worrying about overpaying someone and all.
Overpaying means this team can actually spend money. Which is a positive sign with all the ownership issues.

Ogi1Kenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 12:34 PM
Stevonidas
Wanna go pretty boy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogi1Kenobi View Post
Look at the term of Ryder's contract.
Length is irrelevant. Unless he scores 30 or more, he's overpaid at 31.

Quote:
Overpaying means this team can actually spend money. Which is a positive sign with all the ownership issues.
Yes, your best player fleeing town because of unstable ownership is most definitely a POSITIVE.

Stevonidas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 01:10 PM
Ogi1Kenobi

Quote:
Length is irrelevant. Unless he scores 30 or more, he's overpaid at 31.

Yes, your best player fleeing town because of unstable ownership is most definitely a POSITIVE.
Now that's funny. Contract lengths in free agency are becoming an issue in terms of length. Signing Ryder for 2 years is a bonus compared to the 4 years Erik Cole got signed to.

When did I ever say that? The fact that this team can actually spend money (to address holes on the team) is a positive.

Ogi1Kenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 01:48 PM
Brand New Stars

These "Stars fans" coming out to bash these deals show they really aren't Stars fans. How anyone could view the Ryder deal as a bad thing is beyond me.

Brand New Stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 02:36 PM
glovesave_35
Name

Quote:
I guess it's a good thing then that the best player from last season is still on the roster then.

Old
07-02-2011, 04:18 PM
plemur
Meh.

Good signing for you guys--if he gets the minutes, and has good guys to play with, 30 isn't unrealistic for Rides at all. He has the added bonus of being a really good citizen. He might look a little clueless out there every once in awhile (a tiny amount of floating--nothing bad), but when he has a good game, you'l love him to death. Some of his shots are just really pretty. He can pick a corner.

We'll miss him in the playoffs. He shows up when it counts.

plemur is offline   Reply With Quote