HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Canucks sign F Marco Sturm to 1 year, $2.25M deal

Old
07-01-2011, 06:41 PM
parabola
Global Moderator
novus ordo seclorum

vCash: 500
Mike Gillis - "We're not going to settle for good #NHL players. We're going for great NHL players."

Sturm = great NHL player.

07-01-2011, 06:43 PM
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine

That "great player" comment by Gillis is a way of saying he's going to be quiet in free agency and fill the top 6 role or #1 defensmean hole by offer sheet or trade. Can't say I blame him.

Drop the Sopel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2011, 06:44 PM
VanEric

It's not in reference to Sturm, it's obviously in reference to Cole, Leino and Fleischmann, IMO.

Montreal and Buffalo will regret those contracts. Florida probably won't since they're just spending money because they have to.

VanEric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
biturbo19

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitseleh View Post
Sturm had more points in 35 games last season than Ponikarovsky had in 61. Ponikarovsky is also slow which doesn't fit the makeup of this team.
what, are we collecting a whole set of matching 'fast' and smallish wingers? sure Ponikarovsky is a bit slow, but maybe the idea of having a few different 'types' of player on the team would be worth investigating?

i'd certainly have gone in on Ponikarovsky at almost a MILLION less than Sturm. Sturm is a very redundant player here...and that's fine i guess, if he is in fact just an 'insurance policy' for Raymond next year. but Ponikarovsky likely could've filled that same role as insurance policy, AND THEN had the added bonus of being a useful player down the lineup down the road if Raymond shifts back in, as Ponikarovsky would bring elements that many of our other wingers do not.

but Ponikarovsky is only ONE of many players out there of a similar 'tweener' ilk who could bring more value to the team if bumped down the lineup eventually...likely for less money.

biturbo19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Barney Gumble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drop the Sopel View Post
That "great player" comment by Gillis is a way of saying he's going to be quiet in free agency and fill the top 6 role or #1 defensmean hole by offer sheet or trade. Can't say I blame him.
Considering the dollars being thrown out there (AND odd contract lengths) for bottom six forwards (Sammy's contract is looking pretty cheap right now) is insane.

Barney Gumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
RandV
It's a wolf v2.0

I'm fine with this. With a fully healthy roster and the expected top six addition to replace Ehrhoff's money, Sturm doesn't really fit in. But chances are we'll always be down a forward or two so Sturm adds good depth. It doesn't really affect our chance to acquire and pay for that expected top six guy because Raymond will be starting the season on the sideline. Much like how acquiring Ballard last year was supposed to force us to trade Bieksa to clear space, but Salo started injured created the necessary cap space and there was always someone on the sidelines so the issue and the supposed trade never had to be forced.

I see the same deal with Sturm. Gillis will go over the cap this summer, will get around it by having some money on the IR to start the season, and won't worry about the active roster + IR exceeding the cap until the issue is forced from a fully healthy team.

RandV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2011, 06:46 PM
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitseleh View Post
If you assume that he's going to take up Raymond's LTIR space, this has absolutely no impact on the cap whatsoever. The Canucks can still pursue any long-term fit they'd like for the rest of the summer. They aren't going to commit Raymond's LTIR space to a player they definitely want to keep around.
Yeah, this explains the move. There's really no downside other than possibly having to pay Sturm's salary in the minors or while on IR. When you think about it, it's a no-brainer of a signing.

Mike Gillis keeps his title as smartest guy in the room.

Old
07-01-2011, 06:47 PM
alternate

Okay, I'm going to take the glass half full approach to this signing, even though it means glossing over the amount of $$$ and the extreme downgrade in physicality represented in going from Torres to Sturm.

If Sturm is healthy, Gillis has added another versatile, two-way, hard working 20+g-40+p guy to the line-up.this also fits with my Big 3/Bottom 9 technique I mentioned in the Higgins thread (although maybe Middle 9 is more accurate). I'm going to run with this line-up formation until either a trade happens or the season starts because, well, its a way for me to see the glass as half full (considering our lack of true top 6 wingers to play with Kes) and because at this point the only way we are as good or better a team as last year is if an offensive rookie steps in and produces above his cap hit. So:

Sedin-Sedin-Kesler (eats up a min of 60/180 possible forward minutes per game)
Sturm-Hodgson-Burrows
Higgins-Malhotra-Hansen
Oreskovich-Lapierre-Samuelsson
Tough Guy
(Raymond)

Hamhuis-Bieksa
Ballard-Edler
Alberts-Salo
Parent-Rome

I'm on my phonen so not sure what the cap hit is, but it fits with a bit to spare. Everyone except for Oreo would be good for 12-25 goals depending on ice time, with most of them having 20+ goal seasons already on their resumes. No slouches defensively either. When Raymond is backn either Hodgson can go down, someone else will be on LTIR or Gillis trims some unproductive fat. I know the Kesler with Sedins is a long shot, and would get broken up for shifts or games even if it did happen, but it would allow AV to really ride his best offensive players to the tune of 20 mins per night, while rewarding/demoting guys on the bottom 9 depending on who was going any given night. I've slotted Sammy on the 4th just to keep him healthy.

Whether Kes stays on the 2nd or moves up to play with the twins, it doesn't change the big picture. We're not a tough or physical team at the moment, but we should have four lines that can play effective two-way hockey and hopefully we'll always have at least 1 or 2 of our depth guys in a hot streak. Well, that's my glass half full take on the Sturm signing, take it or leave it.

alternate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2011, 06:53 PM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
Originally Posted by alternate View Post
and the extreme downgrade in physicality represented in going from Torres to Sturm.
Still time AND cap space to add player to rectify that. Either via free agency or more likely trade. I view Sturm as nothing more than a "placeholder" until Raymond returns. If he fails, Gillis sends him to Chicago.

Poni might have been cheaper - but he's not just slower but LAZY. Not a very good combination.

Old
07-01-2011, 06:57 PM
The Bob Cole
Ohhhh Baby.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alternate View Post
Whether Kes stays on the 2nd or moves up to play with the twins, it doesn't change the big picture. We're not a tough or physical team at the moment, but we should have four lines that can play effective two-way hockey and hopefully we'll always have at least 1 or 2 of our depth guys in a hot streak. Well, that's my glass half full take on the Sturm signing, take it or leave it.
At the end of the playoffs, I remember Gillis being quoted on here saying that all great players have a pairing that anchor a line in the league and he believes that Kesler needs one.

I doubt we enter the season without him finding a new linemate that is proven and top 6 worthy for playing alongside Kesler.

The Bob Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2011, 06:58 PM
mossey3535

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kagee View Post
Yep I would have rather got Ponikarovsky The Ukraine Train @$1.5M per, another former multiple 20+ goal scorer.

just gotta cue the Canucks mantra: it is what it is.
Having lived in Toronto for quite some time, I pass on Ponikarovsky even at $1.5M. Watching him and Antropov avoid hits and screw up on beauty feeds/rebounds from Sundin was truly maddening, and now they're older and getting less minutes with worse linemates.

mossey3535 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2011, 07:02 PM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
Originally Posted by mossey3535 View Post
Having lived in Toronto for quite some time, I pass on Ponikarovsky even at $1.5M. Watching him and Antropov avoid hits and screw up on beauty feeds/rebounds from Sundin was truly maddening, and now they're older and getting less minutes with worse linemates.
There's usually going to be players that put up decent points on a really crappy teams (can't help it as even some so-so guy is going to be getting decent power play time, even-strength time). Seems like guys like Poni and to some extent Stajan are these players. But as soon as they're on a non-lottery pick team, that offensive production vanishes.

Old
07-01-2011, 07:03 PM
biturbo19

Quote:
Originally Posted by parabola View Post
Mike Gillis - "We're not going to settle for good #NHL players. We're going for great NHL players."

Quote:
lol.

i'm just gonna go ahead and take that as...

Sturm isn't even a 'good player', he's just some guy they signed. and as Drop the Sopel said, Gillis will be looking for those 'great players' via trade, etc.

which basically just gets back to what i was thinking before today's moneystorm happened, that everyone was just all over Leino/Cole/Gagne/Ryder/etc nutz because the were the 'only good players available'. and spending big $4M+ and 4yr+ term on 'the most adequate solution easily available' is not the way to build a winner. i'm very glad that Gillis seems to appreciate that, and stands by the idea of getting the players that he REALLY wants (great players), rather than settling for tying up long term money in 'compromises' aka 'good players'.

the thing i still don't get though, is that $2.25M isn't exactly chump change, even on a 1 year deal. and that seems fairly at odds with what i make of the 'Gillis Approach' of not wasting $$$ on 'compromise/okayish' players...and instead, going after 'great players' and filling out with very very cheap 'moneypuck' low-risk/high-reward longshot players.

biturbo19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2011, 07:05 PM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
Originally Posted by biturbo19 View Post
...and instead, going after 'great players' and filling out with very very cheap 'moneypuck' low-risk/high-reward longshot players.
Who really was "cheap" that was signed today though that fits that description?

Old
07-01-2011, 07:05 PM
Scurr

Decent money puck pick up. Sturm isn't that old so he might not be done if he can get healthy and find his game. As long as this isn't the answer for the 2nd line then it's ok.

Scurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2011, 07:06 PM
timw33

I can definitely recall some decent goals by Sturm, one shot "pick a corner" kind of goals mixed in with some decent hands around the net.

If he still skates like he used to he could be a useful player, confused at the amount of money, but really it's not the end of the world and the offseason is not over. I think Gillis will be making a few more changes at the very least.

timw33 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2011, 07:10 PM
LickTheEnvelope
6th Overall Blows

Gillis says he was more shocked by term than price today. One of the main reasons for Sturm was 1 year term.

Said a lot of the guys they were looking at would not play many mins on Canucks got way to long term.

LickTheEnvelope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2011, 07:10 PM
LiquidSnake
Agent of Chaos...

Quote:
7.8mil offer sheet to Doughty

LiquidSnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2011, 07:11 PM
Cocoa Crisp

So our bottom 6 is something like:

Hansen Malhotra Sturm
4th RW Lapierre Oreskovitch

Higgins might get bumped down should we acquire a top6 winger.

Depth on the bottom six is much improved. For whatever that's worth.

Cocoa Crisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2011, 07:12 PM
Connecticut

Quote:
Originally Posted by parabola View Post

I think frustration is making you miss the point. Sturm is on a one year contract. Gillis is talking about core guys that the team is built around, guys he's willing to sign to long term contracts: Luongo, Sedins, Kesler, Burrows, Bieksa, Hamhuis, Edler, Malhotra, etc.

As others have said, Gillis is not going to tie up $20-30M on a 4-6 year deal for a player that's "good". Compare Leino/Fleischmann @ 4.5M to Kesler @ 5M. Which would you rather have? One is good, one is great. If you fill up on good players, you have no room left for great ones when the opportunity presents itself.

You can't have a team with only great players -- thus the Sturm signing -- but if you're going to make a commitment to a player, you want him to be great. I fully support that philosophy.

Connecticut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2011, 07:12 PM
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine

Quote:
Originally Posted by biturbo19 View Post
the thing i still don't get though, is that $2.25M isn't exactly chump change, even on a 1 year deal. and that seems fairly at odds with what i make of the 'Gillis Approach' of not wasting $$$ on 'compromise/okayish' players...and instead, going after 'great players' and filling out with very very cheap 'moneypuck' low-risk/high-reward longshot players.
Excluding this past year where Sturm missed more than half the year he hasn't had a season where he's been on pace for less than 20 goals, in 8 years. He's been an extrememly consistent goalscorer...

Factor in Raymond's situation and this is a great signing IMO. I didn't undertand it at first glance but it's basically a no risk/high reward move. Not to mention his skillset will be a perfect compliment to Vancouver's system.

This signing is the definition of moneypuck.

Old
07-01-2011, 07:13 PM
LickTheEnvelope
6th Overall Blows

lol Gillis: "seeing these guys who have never scored 20 goals in a season scoring making double Alex Burrows on 4, 5, 6 year deals..."

LickTheEnvelope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2011, 07:13 PM
Dado

vCash:
Well I dunno - it's a "whatever" signing in my books - but when all is said and done I don't see our closest competitors finding gems out there either - so on the whole the day is a wash IMO.

Old
07-01-2011, 07:17 PM
Corb

Looks like he's played the PP in Washington and Boston.

Corb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2011, 07:18 PM
jigsaw99

Garbage player... we way too much for a 4th liner who is soft.

jigsaw99 is offline   Reply With Quote