HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Free Agent Frenzy 2011 - Part III (READ THE FIRST POST FOR UPDATES)

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-01-2011, 06:56 PM
  #51
JGRB
#EllerThugLife
 
JGRB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,625
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
Offer sheets are really only attractive until you can be targetted. Holmgren is not a GM i'd like to piss off, seeing as how Subban and Price could be pretty good targets for RFa's
If I'm PG, I sign Price & Subban during the season or as soon as the season ends.

If he even lets those guys reach the point Doughty and Stamkos have reached I will lose respect for him as a manager.

JGRB is offline  
Old
07-01-2011, 06:57 PM
  #52
overlords
Global Moderator
Jack Arse
 
overlords's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Trolling Brian Wilde
Posts: 26,191
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGRB View Post
To each their own.

I know I'm happy with AK's production with his current cap hit, Gagne can reach those types of numbers while playing 20-30 less games. That's all it comes down to for me, is injuries. People talk as though Markov is made of glass, if that's the case then Gagne is made of glass from China.

There is definitely probably better options out there. I hope PG isn't done, I think the Cole signing is just HUGE for us in terms of improvement of the product on the ice and if we can add another solid Top 9 winger we are going to be laughing.
I definitely agree about cole (and about gagne being glass from china). I try to think of building a roster like playing tetris. I think cole was that long skinny piece we've been waiting for for a long time. He's not a worldbeater by himself, but he will fit in very well and complement the play of guys like pleks and cammy.

__________________



"overlords is one of my favorite people on this entire site." - Hfboards
overlords is online now  
Old
07-01-2011, 06:57 PM
  #53
dynastyREredux
Where's the Doritos?
 
dynastyREredux's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: All over Canada
Posts: 1,246
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to dynastyREredux
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGRB View Post
If I'm PG, I sign Price & Subban during the season or as soon as the season ends.

If he even lets those guys reach the point Doughty and Stamkos have reached I will lose respect for him as a manager.
You know the player has some say in when he signs, right?

dynastyREredux is offline  
Old
07-01-2011, 06:57 PM
  #54
Lions999
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 660
vCash: 500
Get rid of Spacek,pick Stewart and a tough D

Lions999 is offline  
Old
07-01-2011, 06:58 PM
  #55
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 30,388
vCash: 500
Langenbrunner would give us another sandpaper player who can chip in 15-20. I's sign him waayyyyy ahead of Gagne 1 year 2.5 mil or 2 years 5 mil(3.5 mil in year one 1.5 mil year 2).

Monctonscout is offline  
Old
07-01-2011, 06:58 PM
  #56
prevail
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,848
vCash: 500
Konopka/Stewart/Bradley (or some other sandpaper), and a couple AHLers, but I'm not holding my breath

prevail is offline  
Old
07-01-2011, 06:59 PM
  #57
TheBuriedHab
Registered User
 
TheBuriedHab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 5,181
vCash: 500
Tweet from Arpon Basu

ArponBasu Arpon Basu
Cole just gave what has to be best conference call interview I've ever held with a player. Suffice to say, he's thrilled to be with #Habs


Last edited by TheBuriedHab: 07-01-2011 at 07:05 PM.
TheBuriedHab is offline  
Old
07-01-2011, 06:59 PM
  #58
Kriss E
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 22,900
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
Offer sheets are really only attractive until you can be targetted. Holmgren is not a GM i'd like to piss off, seeing as how Subban and Price could be pretty good targets for RFa's
There's no place for intimidation.
But if you decide to act as so, you better be prepared. So, PK-Price need to be dealt with prior to July 1st next summer, as simple as that.

Kriss E is offline  
Old
07-01-2011, 06:59 PM
  #59
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 30,388
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGRB View Post
If I'm PG, I sign Price & Subban during the season or as soon as the season ends.

If he even lets those guys reach the point Doughty and Stamkos have reached I will lose respect for him as a manager.
Maybe he alteady has offers to their agents...but they want to maybe wait and see what RFA brings...do you honestly think LA and TB have not tried to sign Doughty and Stamkos??

Monctonscout is offline  
Old
07-01-2011, 06:59 PM
  #60
JGRB
#EllerThugLife
 
JGRB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,625
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
I definitely agree about cole (and about gagne being glass from china). I try to think of building a roster like playing tetris. I think cole was that long skinny piece we've been waiting for for a long time. He's not a worldbeater by himself, but he will fit in very well and complement the play of guys like pleks and cammy.
This is EXACTLY what I told my friend.

I was actually taking a little nap this afternoon when Cole was signed (I was uber-hungover, birthday today so I went out last night). He sent me a txt furious about us signing Cole, that's what woke me up and I was actually super pleased and rushed to TSN.ca and here to see what the terms we're then I called him up and put his mind at ease.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
Maybe he alteady has offers to their agents...but they want to maybe wait and see what RFA brings...do you honestly think LA and TB have not tried to sign Doughty and Stamkos??
It's possible.

But for every Doughty/Stamkos situation you also get a Giroux who was re-inked during the season. P-H is smart like that, because he's that over aggressive GM during the summer months and he clearly knew Giroux was going to be a target.

JGRB is offline  
Old
07-01-2011, 07:01 PM
  #61
Kriss E
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 22,900
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
Maybe he alteady has offers to their agents...but they want to maybe wait and see what RFA brings...do you honestly think LA and TB have not tried to sign Doughty and Stamkos??
Well, you always have the option to match.

Kriss E is offline  
Old
07-01-2011, 07:02 PM
  #62
S Bah
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: victoria bc
Country: Wales
Posts: 4,579
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by buddahsmoka1 View Post
Well Price surely won't be on his radar.
Don't know about you buddahsmoka but,I'm going to relax and watch the Montreal/LA game 2 of the 1993 series 3-2 OT win for the Habs seeya later.

S Bah is offline  
Old
07-01-2011, 07:02 PM
  #63
Rscorpio
Epic Meal Time!
 
Rscorpio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Santiago, Chile
Country: Chile
Posts: 2,821
vCash: 500
Pacioretty - Plekanec - Cole
Cammalleri - Gomez - Gionta
Kostitysn-DD- Eller
White- Kenopka - Moen

Ex. Darche

Markov - Yemelin
Gill - Subban
Wever - Gorges

Ex. Spacek

Price
Budaj

Rscorpio is offline  
Old
07-01-2011, 07:03 PM
  #64
overlords
Global Moderator
Jack Arse
 
overlords's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Trolling Brian Wilde
Posts: 26,191
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rscorpio View Post
Pacioretty - Plekanec - Cole
Cammalleri - Gomez - Gionta
Kostitysn-DD- Eller
White- Kenopka - Moen

Ex. Darche

Markov - Yemelin
Gill - Subban
Wever - Gorges

Ex. Spacek

Price
Budaj
I doubt patches and cole play on the same line, I think the point was to get some size to spread around. Also DD will not play center over eller.

overlords is online now  
Old
07-01-2011, 07:04 PM
  #65
guest1467
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 24,824
vCash: 500
Before today, I didn't really look at Cole as an option. Wasn't against him, wasn't for him, was just kind of indifferent.

But after the signing went down, I am just so thrilled at how well he fits into what we need.

Top 6 winger to push down Kosty, check.
Top 6 winger with size, check.
Someone to mentor Pacioretty(like this is almost eerie how perfect a fit this is), check
Good Even-strength production, check.
Good goal scoring ability, check.
Good forechecker, check.
Good speed and overall game compatibility with current squad, check.
Good leadership and guy to add to our locker room, check.
Childhood Habs fan, check.
Habs killer, and Bell Centre dynamo, check.

I think overlords analogy about the long stick in Tetris is a brilliant way of putting it.

guest1467 is offline  
Old
07-01-2011, 07:04 PM
  #66
impudent_lowlife
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Country: Japan
Posts: 782
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
Offer sheets are really only attractive until you can be targetted. Holmgren is not a GM i'd like to piss off, seeing as how Subban and Price could be pretty good targets for RFa's
This. Getting into an RFA it-for-tat battle is not good.

impudent_lowlife is offline  
Old
07-01-2011, 07:06 PM
  #67
JGRB
#EllerThugLife
 
JGRB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,625
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by buddahsmoka1 View Post
Before today, I didn't really look at Cole as an option. Wasn't against him, wasn't for him, was just kind of indifferent.

But after the signing went down, I am just so thrilled at how well he fits into what we need.

Top 6 winger to push down Kosty, check.
Top 6 winger with size, check.
Someone to mentor Pacioretty(like this is almost eerie how perfect a fit this is), check
Good Even-strength production, check.
Good goal scoring ability, check.
Good forechecker, check.
Good speed and overall game compatibility with current squad, check.
Good leadership and guy to add to our locker room, check.
Childhood Habs fan, check.
Habs killer, and Bell Centre dynamo, check.

I think overlords analogy about the long stick in Tetris is a brilliant way of putting it.
It's a gorgeous fit. No question.

I remember the draft day in 2007, Max Pacioretty's NHL comparable was Erik Cole. I'd say that's a pretty fair assessment, although I think Cole is a bit more aggressive.

JGRB is offline  
Old
07-01-2011, 07:08 PM
  #68
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou
 
Myron Gaines*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,391
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGRB View Post
It's a gorgeous fit. No question.

I remember the draft day in 2007, Max Pacioretty's NHL comparable was Erik Cole. I'd say that's a pretty fair assessment, although I think Cole is a bit more aggressive.
Exactly, Cole takes the puck to the net and doesn't care if there's 2 guys holding him back. That's exactly the player I want Pacioretty to become. In fact, I want all of our top 6 fowards to be inspired by his play. We need to be more aggressive around the net and burry lost pucks in the crease. I think Cole will do a magnificent job at this.

Myron Gaines* is offline  
Old
07-01-2011, 07:12 PM
  #69
EveryDay
Registered User
 
EveryDay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Country: Germany
Posts: 4,970
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGRB View Post
It's a gorgeous fit. No question.

I remember the draft day in 2007, Max Pacioretty's NHL comparable was Erik Cole. I'd say that's a pretty fair assessment, although I think Cole is a bit more aggressive.

What can we expect from him?
30G 30A ?????

EveryDay is offline  
Old
07-01-2011, 07:14 PM
  #70
NewHabsEra*
 
NewHabsEra*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 10,695
vCash: 500
Konopka is still avalaible if Im not wrong.. Could be a nice add..

NewHabsEra* is offline  
Old
07-01-2011, 07:14 PM
  #71
macavoy
Registered User
 
macavoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 7,362
vCash: 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by buddahsmoka1 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
capgeek CapGeek
Top spenders today (signings/re-signings, total salary): #Panthers $56.6m; #CBJ $33m; #Sabres $30.6m; #Habs $20.3m; #Caps $19.825m.
But Molson is cutting costs!
lol

yea look at things in a microscope.


The Molson's have cheaped out and cut costs.


AK should have been signed to a 2 year deal if not 3. Now we lost him next year or pay him $5m. Cole, Laich and Leino all got $4.5m after he signed and he'll have more points than all 3 of them next year.

Even if AK isn't a part of our future, you sign him longer and trade the asset instead of letting it walk away.

Same thing with Wiz, we could afford the $0.75m extra that CBJ gave him. Then we could have traded him next year for a legit top 6 forward. You don't throw away assets to save a dollar or two now like NYI. You spend now and reap the rewards later.

Just because we signed two contracts today, doesn't make us in the elite spenders of the league.

macavoy is online now  
Old
07-01-2011, 07:15 PM
  #72
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou
 
Myron Gaines*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,391
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monaco88 View Post
What can we expect from him?
30G 30A ?????
I think more like what Kostitsyn brought last year, but with more physical presence and better 5 on 5 play.

Myron Gaines* is offline  
Old
07-01-2011, 07:15 PM
  #73
Hexenzesene
Registered User
 
Hexenzesene's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 175
vCash: 500
25g - 25a

Hexenzesene is offline  
Old
07-01-2011, 07:18 PM
  #74
JGRB
#EllerThugLife
 
JGRB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,625
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monaco88 View Post
What can we expect from him?
30G 30A ?????
Well, just to throw a dart at it?

Probably something like 25G-30A. I think his presense on the top line would bring Cammy over 30G for the first time as a Hab.

JGRB is offline  
Old
07-01-2011, 07:19 PM
  #75
Dwight
The French Tickler
 
Dwight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: West Island
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,778
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by macavoy View Post
lol

yea look at things in a microscope.


The Molson's have cheaped out and cut costs.


AK should have been signed to a 2 year deal if not 3. Now we lost him next year or pay him $5m. Cole, Laich and Leino all got $4.5m after he signed and he'll have more points than all 3 of them next year.

Even if AK isn't a part of our future, you sign him longer and trade the asset instead of letting it walk away.

Same thing with Wiz, we could afford the $0.75m extra that CBJ gave him. Then we could have traded him next year for a legit top 6 forward. You don't throw away assets to save a dollar or two now like NYI. You spend now and reap the rewards later.

Just because we signed two contracts today, doesn't make us in the elite spenders of the league.
Yeah, sign a guy for 6 years and trade him 1 season later - that really makes you popular with players/agents around the league.

Then people will whine more when the Habs can't sign anyone on UFA day.

Dwight is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:38 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.