HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Free Agent Frenzy 2011 - Part III (READ THE FIRST POST FOR UPDATES)

Closed Thread

Old
07-01-2011, 06:56 PM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
Offer sheets are really only attractive until you can be targetted. Holmgren is not a GM i'd like to piss off, seeing as how Subban and Price could be pretty good targets for RFa's
If I'm PG, I sign Price & Subban during the season or as soon as the season ends.

If he even lets those guys reach the point Doughty and Stamkos have reached I will lose respect for him as a manager.

Old
07-01-2011, 06:57 PM
overlords
Global Moderator
Jack Arse

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGRB View Post
To each their own.

I know I'm happy with AK's production with his current cap hit, Gagne can reach those types of numbers while playing 20-30 less games. That's all it comes down to for me, is injuries. People talk as though Markov is made of glass, if that's the case then Gagne is made of glass from China.

There is definitely probably better options out there. I hope PG isn't done, I think the Cole signing is just HUGE for us in terms of improvement of the product on the ice and if we can add another solid Top 9 winger we are going to be laughing.
I definitely agree about cole (and about gagne being glass from china). I try to think of building a roster like playing tetris. I think cole was that long skinny piece we've been waiting for for a long time. He's not a worldbeater by himself, but he will fit in very well and complement the play of guys like pleks and cammy.

"overlords is one of my favorite people on this entire site." - Hfboards
Old
dynastyREredux
Where's the Doritos?

Send a message via ICQ to dynastyREredux
Quote:
If I'm PG, I sign Price & Subban during the season or as soon as the season ends.

If he even lets those guys reach the point Doughty and Stamkos have reached I will lose respect for him as a manager.
You know the player has some say in when he signs, right?

Old
Lions999

Get rid of Spacek,pick Stewart and a tough D

Old
07-01-2011, 06:58 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Langenbrunner would give us another sandpaper player who can chip in 15-20. I's sign him waayyyyy ahead of Gagne 1 year 2.5 mil or 2 years 5 mil(3.5 mil in year one 1.5 mil year 2).

Old
07-01-2011, 06:58 PM
prevail

Konopka/Stewart/Bradley (or some other sandpaper), and a couple AHLers, but I'm not holding my breath

Old
07-01-2011, 06:59 PM
TheBuriedHab

Tweet from Arpon Basu

ArponBasu Arpon Basu
Cole just gave what has to be best conference call interview I've ever held with a player. Suffice to say, he's thrilled to be with #Habs

Last edited by TheBuriedHab: 07-01-2011 at 07:05 PM.
Old
Kriss E

Quote:
Offer sheets are really only attractive until you can be targetted. Holmgren is not a GM i'd like to piss off, seeing as how Subban and Price could be pretty good targets for RFa's
There's no place for intimidation.
But if you decide to act as so, you better be prepared. So, PK-Price need to be dealt with prior to July 1st next summer, as simple as that.

Old
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:

Maybe he alteady has offers to their agents...but they want to maybe wait and see what RFA brings...do you honestly think LA and TB have not tried to sign Doughty and Stamkos??

Old
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

Quote:
I definitely agree about cole (and about gagne being glass from china). I try to think of building a roster like playing tetris. I think cole was that long skinny piece we've been waiting for for a long time. He's not a worldbeater by himself, but he will fit in very well and complement the play of guys like pleks and cammy.
This is EXACTLY what I told my friend.

I was actually taking a little nap this afternoon when Cole was signed (I was uber-hungover, birthday today so I went out last night). He sent me a txt furious about us signing Cole, that's what woke me up and I was actually super pleased and rushed to TSN.ca and here to see what the terms we're then I called him up and put his mind at ease.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
Maybe he alteady has offers to their agents...but they want to maybe wait and see what RFA brings...do you honestly think LA and TB have not tried to sign Doughty and Stamkos??
It's possible.

But for every Doughty/Stamkos situation you also get a Giroux who was re-inked during the season. P-H is smart like that, because he's that over aggressive GM during the summer months and he clearly knew Giroux was going to be a target.

Old
07-01-2011, 07:01 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
Well, you always have the option to match.

Old
07-01-2011, 07:02 PM
S Bah

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by buddahsmoka1 View Post
Well Price surely won't be on his radar.
Don't know about you buddahsmoka but,I'm going to relax and watch the Montreal/LA game 2 of the 1993 series 3-2 OT win for the Habs seeya later.

Old
07-01-2011, 07:02 PM
Rscorpio
Epic Meal Time!

Pacioretty - Plekanec - Cole
Cammalleri - Gomez - Gionta
Kostitysn-DD- Eller
White- Kenopka - Moen

Ex. Darche

Markov - Yemelin
Gill - Subban
Wever - Gorges

Ex. Spacek

Price
Budaj

Old
07-01-2011, 07:03 PM
overlords
Global Moderator
Jack Arse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rscorpio View Post
Pacioretty - Plekanec - Cole
Cammalleri - Gomez - Gionta
Kostitysn-DD- Eller
White- Kenopka - Moen

Ex. Darche

Markov - Yemelin
Gill - Subban
Wever - Gorges

Ex. Spacek

Price
Budaj
I doubt patches and cole play on the same line, I think the point was to get some size to spread around. Also DD will not play center over eller.

Old
07-01-2011, 07:04 PM
guest1467

Before today, I didn't really look at Cole as an option. Wasn't against him, wasn't for him, was just kind of indifferent.

But after the signing went down, I am just so thrilled at how well he fits into what we need.

Top 6 winger to push down Kosty, check.
Top 6 winger with size, check.
Someone to mentor Pacioretty(like this is almost eerie how perfect a fit this is), check
Good Even-strength production, check.
Good goal scoring ability, check.
Good forechecker, check.
Good speed and overall game compatibility with current squad, check.
Good leadership and guy to add to our locker room, check.
Childhood Habs fan, check.
Habs killer, and Bell Centre dynamo, check.

I think overlords analogy about the long stick in Tetris is a brilliant way of putting it.

Old
07-01-2011, 07:04 PM
impudent_lowlife

Quote:
This. Getting into an RFA it-for-tat battle is not good.

Old
07-01-2011, 07:06 PM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

Quote:
Before today, I didn't really look at Cole as an option. Wasn't against him, wasn't for him, was just kind of indifferent.

But after the signing went down, I am just so thrilled at how well he fits into what we need.

Top 6 winger to push down Kosty, check.
Top 6 winger with size, check.
Someone to mentor Pacioretty(like this is almost eerie how perfect a fit this is), check
Good Even-strength production, check.
Good goal scoring ability, check.
Good forechecker, check.
Good speed and overall game compatibility with current squad, check.
Good leadership and guy to add to our locker room, check.
Childhood Habs fan, check.
Habs killer, and Bell Centre dynamo, check.

I think overlords analogy about the long stick in Tetris is a brilliant way of putting it.
It's a gorgeous fit. No question.

I remember the draft day in 2007, Max Pacioretty's NHL comparable was Erik Cole. I'd say that's a pretty fair assessment, although I think Cole is a bit more aggressive.

Old
07-01-2011, 07:08 PM
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou

Quote:

I remember the draft day in 2007, Max Pacioretty's NHL comparable was Erik Cole. I'd say that's a pretty fair assessment, although I think Cole is a bit more aggressive.
Exactly, Cole takes the puck to the net and doesn't care if there's 2 guys holding him back. That's exactly the player I want Pacioretty to become. In fact, I want all of our top 6 fowards to be inspired by his play. We need to be more aggressive around the net and burry lost pucks in the crease. I think Cole will do a magnificent job at this.

Old
07-01-2011, 07:12 PM
EveryDay

Quote:

What can we expect from him?
30G 30A ?????

Old
07-01-2011, 07:14 PM
NewHabsEra*

Konopka is still avalaible if Im not wrong.. Could be a nice add..

Old
07-01-2011, 07:14 PM
macavoy

vCash: 243
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
capgeek CapGeek
Top spenders today (signings/re-signings, total salary): #Panthers $56.6m; #CBJ $33m; #Sabres $30.6m; #Habs $20.3m; #Caps $19.825m.
But Molson is cutting costs!
lol

yea look at things in a microscope.

The Molson's have cheaped out and cut costs.

AK should have been signed to a 2 year deal if not 3. Now we lost him next year or pay him $5m. Cole, Laich and Leino all got $4.5m after he signed and he'll have more points than all 3 of them next year.

Even if AK isn't a part of our future, you sign him longer and trade the asset instead of letting it walk away.

Same thing with Wiz, we could afford the $0.75m extra that CBJ gave him. Then we could have traded him next year for a legit top 6 forward. You don't throw away assets to save a dollar or two now like NYI. You spend now and reap the rewards later.

Just because we signed two contracts today, doesn't make us in the elite spenders of the league.

Old
07-01-2011, 07:15 PM
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monaco88 View Post
30G 30A ?????
I think more like what Kostitsyn brought last year, but with more physical presence and better 5 on 5 play.

Old
07-01-2011, 07:15 PM
Hexenzesene

25g - 25a

Old
07-01-2011, 07:18 PM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monaco88 View Post
30G 30A ?????
Well, just to throw a dart at it?

Probably something like 25G-30A. I think his presense on the top line would bring Cammy over 30G for the first time as a Hab.

Old
07-01-2011, 07:19 PM
Dwight
The French Tickler

Quote:
Originally Posted by macavoy View Post
lol

yea look at things in a microscope.

The Molson's have cheaped out and cut costs.

AK should have been signed to a 2 year deal if not 3. Now we lost him next year or pay him $5m. Cole, Laich and Leino all got $4.5m after he signed and he'll have more points than all 3 of them next year.

Even if AK isn't a part of our future, you sign him longer and trade the asset instead of letting it walk away.

Same thing with Wiz, we could afford the $0.75m extra that CBJ gave him. Then we could have traded him next year for a legit top 6 forward. You don't throw away assets to save a dollar or two now like NYI. You spend now and reap the rewards later.

Just because we signed two contracts today, doesn't make us in the elite spenders of the league.
Yeah, sign a guy for 6 years and trade him 1 season later - that really makes you popular with players/agents around the league.

Then people will whine more when the Habs can't sign anyone on UFA day.

Closed Thread