HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Nonis press conference after 6pm today??

Old
07-01-2011, 07:08 PM
MoreMogilny
Cap'n

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarwinWasAdopted View Post
^ this. Sometimes the best move you make is the one you don't make. Initially I was hoping we would sign Leino.... but for $4.5M? Six years?
Yeah really. There were a few guys I really wanted, but upon seeing their price tags, I'm not to keen on the thought of them.

MoreMogilny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2011, 07:10 PM
John-Eric Iannicello
Hockey's Future Staff

I was upset they weren't as active as I thought they could be, but once I saw some of the prices going out there.. yeesh.

I don't blame them for being cautious. I think Max Tablot would have been a great fit, even at the term I probably could have swallowed it (the 5 years).

Still, there are some interesting options out there. So staying on the outside looking in may not be the worst scenario at this point.

07-01-2011, 07:11 PM
Stephen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerkini View Post
Nonis always looks at the big picture. i'm perfectly okay with him running the show.
There's different ways of looking at "the big picture". While the Leafs are building prudently, you also get the idea that they're not a sexy destination for eligible UFAs to consider seriously. As fans people even seem to be resigned to this. We can sign up all the Beauchemins all we want, but we're never in the race for the Kovalchuks of the world. Burke and company need to rehabilitate this Toronto image.

And this isn't to say that we missed out on anyone specifically today, just that the Leafs need to think about changing that image of the organization as one on the upswing in general so when they do want free agents, we're always a preferred place to go.

Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2011, 07:17 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by John-Eric Iannicello View Post
I was upset they weren't as active as I thought they could be, but once I saw some of the prices going out there.. yeesh.

I don't blame them for being cautious. I think Max Tablot would have been a great fit, even at the term I probably could have swallowed it (the 5 years).

Still, there are some interesting options out there. So staying on the outside looking in may not be the worst scenario at this point.
I think the only reason talbot went to the flyers was because of the 5 year contract. Aside from that, i can see other teams were very much offering him 1-3 year deals.

Leaf Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2011, 07:20 PM
Koss

Send a message via MSN to Koss
Quote:
Originally Posted by RhyZa View Post
Great day. Management must have kept repeating to themselves... "Remember Jeff Finger"
Ironically Fletcher had a 2 year, 8 million dollar extension offer written up for Finger up that Nonis faxed off into the shredder. Then they reminded Fletcher it was nap time.

Koss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2011, 07:20 PM
Tinalera

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
There's different ways of looking at "the big picture". While the Leafs are building prudently, you also get the idea that they're not a sexy destination for eligible UFAs to consider seriously. As fans people even seem to be resigned to this. We can sign up all the Beauchemins all we want, but we're never in the race for the Kovalchuks of the world. Burke and company need to rehabilitate this Toronto image.

And this isn't to say that we missed out on anyone specifically today, just that the Leafs need to think about changing that image of the organization as one on the upswing in general so when they do want free agents, we're always a preferred place to go.
I think when the time comes Toronto starts making the playoffs-even if it's just the first or second round (which might be a bit of time yet), and can get to a point where they literally are only a couple of pieces away-alot of players like thinking they are "one of the final pieces" being put in place-it will come in time for Toronto.

I seem to recall that Nonis, when in Vancouver, did this very thing (and I've read some say it's what got him sacked-he was too conservative when Van was wanting to step on the gas and start making playoffs.

Tinalera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2011, 07:22 PM
Drew311
Whitey Whackers

They're playing the video on Leafs TV right now. Nonis said trade talk are also picking up. He was in trade talks with another team late last night, most likely something they'll pull the trigger on if Richards doesn't sign (speculation on my part).

Drew311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2011, 07:26 PM
Regina Pat
Who Cares?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew311 View Post
They're playing the video on Leafs TV right now. Nonis said trade talk are also picking up. He was in trade talks with another team late last night, most likely something they'll pull the trigger on if Richards doesn't sign (speculation on my part).
That would be nice.

Someone help me out: I remember hearing a while back that Nonis was the guy behind the Giguere deal, correct? Or maybe it was something else.

Regina Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2011, 07:26 PM
firstemperor

Yea Nonis was on Leafs TV just now, nothing that's not already been said. Made an offer to about half of the 10 targeted FA's, etc.

firstemperor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2011, 07:27 PM
Stephen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinalera View Post

I seem to recall that Nonis, when in Vancouver, did this very thing (and I've read some say it's what got him sacked-he was too conservative when Van was wanting to step on the gas and start making playoffs.
I agree with Nonis and the Leafs in principle, Nonis was once a guy who was fired for not trading Schneider and Kesler to get Brad Richards from Tampa, but I'm just frustrated it isn't a given that people want to come to Toronto, no questions asked.

Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2011, 07:30 PM
Erza Scarlet
following the mantle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
I agree with Nonis and the Leafs in principle, Nonis was once a guy who was fired for not trading Schneider and Kesler to get Brad Richards from Tampa, but I'm just frustrated it isn't a given that people want to come to Toronto, no questions asked.
it was actually Edler, Schneider and picks.

Erza Scarlet is offline   Reply With Quote