HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Free Agent Frenzy 2011 - Part III (READ THE FIRST POST FOR UPDATES)

Closed Thread

Old
07-01-2011, 07:38 PM
overlords
Hfboards

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
I agree. The last time he was great was in SJ before the lockout. He slowed down considerably since joining the Avs, and then the Caps.
Instead of getting him, I'd rather get depth players, like say O'brien and Stewart or Gagné if he comes cheap. If we're going to throw higher dollars at a Dman, might as well be Kaberle.
Hannan would be good in a more depth like role. Definitely not at the $ he's had the past few contracts. I'd take o'brien too.

Old
07-01-2011, 07:39 PM
guest1467

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monaco88 View Post
What can we expect from him?
30G 30A ?????
I expect more 25/25 from a healthy season. I doubt he will break 60 with the Habs, when someone like Cammalleri even takes a dip in production here.

I think the biggest X factor in his production is going to be the PP. I have seen Carolina fans say he is not very effective on the PP, and his stats back that up. But, I also don't remember Carolina ever having a top 5 PP(correct me if I am wrong). Stick him in front of the net on the second unit, and he could pick up those numbers. We saw a lesser talent in Darche do well there with our strong PP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by macavoy View Post
The Molson's have cheaped out and cut costs.
Once again, where is the evidence to support this? The two contracts you just listed, have little or nothing to do with the Molsons. These are hockey moves, yes they are determined with weight on salary, all things are, but these are at the first and forefront, hockey moves, not financial ones.

Quote:
AK should have been signed to a 2 year deal if not 3. Now we lost him next year or pay him $5m. Cole, Laich and Leino all got $4.5m after he signed and he'll have more points than all 3 of them next year.

Even if AK isn't a part of our future, you sign him longer and trade the asset instead of letting it walk away.
First of all, the Habs seem to value flexibility in contracts, and players proving themselves, before handing them long term contracts. We saw this with even some of their future core pieces for example, Plekanec. When Montreal re-upped Pleks for one year, he was then able to pursue UFA after that contract. When Pleks proved himself, they gave him a fair and secure contract as a reward. Same thing with Ryder, except he managed to never gain the allure of the brass, and was let go.

It is a method of keeping your RFAs in check, and managing them both fairly, and keeping the overall status of your contracts flexible.

Is there other approaches taken out there in the league? Surely. Does that mean the Habs are cutting costs? Please.

Quote:
Same thing with Wiz, we could afford the $0.75m extra that CBJ gave him. Then we could have traded him next year for a legit top 6 forward. You don't throw away assets to save a dollar or two now like NYI. You spend now and reap the rewards later.
Its not just about that. Its about committing huge amounts of money and term, to a guy that the brass do not believe is worth, or will hamper you down the line. I also don't think Wiz with a 5.5 cap hit, and a 6 year contract, is as easy to move as you think.

I am just not on the same level with a lot of posters here who believe that you must get an asset for every single player that leaves your club.

For one, the asset you guys covet so much, is of little value in the grand scheme of things, a draft pick for example. Secondly, what is so horrible about letting a UFA walk? Hammer was signed for 4 years, gave us 4 solid years, was given an offer a couple days ago. He decided to move on, we said thanks for everything, good bye. This is how it works in the real world. The asset was USED, we got 4 seasons of Hammer, not lost. Same with Kostitsyn, say he has an average or below average season this year, and he decides to go elsewhere next summer. We drafted Kostitsyn, he has played 6 years for our team, once again, he has been used, not lost.

Trading all your assets at the deadline, or for re-wealth is a process that typically takes place in teams that are not making the playoffs on a consistent basis. They covet assets because their current assets on their playing team are not good enough. Consistent playoff teams covet the assets that are on their current playing team more than the ones that aren't.

In an ideal world, you want to get assets for expendable players when the time is right. We have done that, O'byrne for example, or Rivet. There is a time and place for it, sometimes you cannot avoid losing players to free agency, its the nature of a contractual business.

Quote:
Just because we signed two contracts today, doesn't make us in the elite spenders of the league.
I am not even sure what qualifies one as an "elite spender." All I know is this basic fact, we spend to the cap every single season.

Want me to go back to the microscope? That took a long time to type out.

Old
07-01-2011, 07:44 PM
BaseballCoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwight View Post
Yeah, sign a guy for 6 years and trade him 1 season later - that really makes you popular with players/agents around the league.

Then people will whine more when the Habs can't sign anyone on UFA day.
I hope Macavoy realizes that players who sign long-term deals are not stupid. And if by chance one is, he has an agent to help him! UFAs pick a particular city to play in for certain reasons, family, etc., and naturally they require no-trade or no-movement clauses of various kinds.

What sense is there studying all the pros and cons of a team before deciding to sign there, and then being exposed to a trade right away?

Old
07-01-2011, 07:45 PM
McSorleyStick
DECIMA-TING

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richiebottles View Post
So who is officially in the Richards race as of now ?
NYR, TBL, FLY, TML

Old
07-01-2011, 07:46 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by McSorleyStick View Post
NYR, TBL, FLY, TML
Yzerman says Tampa is out.

Old
07-01-2011, 07:46 PM
S Bah

Quote:
Originally Posted by habitue View Post
Habs should be able to get one of these:

Boulton
Winchester
Godard
Koci
Sutherby
Belak
Konopka
Janssen
Jacques
Stewart

and one of these d-men:

Hannan
McCabe
Skrastins
Sopel
Mara
Babchuck
I want Boulton could be family from way back,certainly fights that way.

Old
07-01-2011, 07:47 PM
dynastyREredux
Where's the Doritos?

Send a message via ICQ to dynastyREredux
Quote:
NYR, TBL, FLY, TML
Tampa's out.

Old
07-01-2011, 07:47 PM
guest1467

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
Hannan would be good in a more depth like role. Definitely not at the $ he's had the past few contracts. I'd take o'brien too.
I don't see O'Brien as a good fit. Watched him quite a bit in Vancouver. He has very little hockey sense, and is incredibly undisciplined. Those two things make me cringe at the thought of being in a Martin defensive system.

Old
07-01-2011, 07:48 PM
McSorleyStick
DECIMA-TING

Edit: TBL out of the BR race

Old
07-01-2011, 07:49 PM
Ollie Williams

Quote:
NYR, TBL, FLY, TML
Are we in it? TSN didn't even mention us interested.

Old
McSorleyStick
DECIMA-TING

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
Yzerman says Tampa is out.
Yep

My bad

Old
BobLoblaw

Any news re: Gagne or Stewart? Doesn't seem to be any info available on either of these guys. Surprising, especially Gagne..

Old
07-01-2011, 07:50 PM
EveryDay

+1 Shane O'brien

and one of Stewart-Winchester-Boulton

Old
07-01-2011, 07:51 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobLoblaw View Post
Any news re: Gagne or Stewart? Doesn't seem to be any info available on either of these guys. Surprising, especially Gagne..
BroadStBull Sam Carchidi
by SpectorsHockey
Homer has talked to Gagne's agent _ and says there's interest on both sides. #Flyers

Philly beat writer, last/only thing I've really heard today.

Old
07-01-2011, 07:53 PM
holyhabs87

Leafs just being used to drive the price up....Rags will sign him.

Old
07-01-2011, 07:54 PM
BobLoblaw

Damn, was hoping we'd be in on him. Thanks.

Old
07-01-2011, 07:57 PM
TheBuriedHab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ollie Williams View Post
Are we in it? TSN didn't even mention us interested.
We were on their list for potential suitors.

Only thing that I've heard is that Renaud Lavoie sais we are out of it, but nobody else has reported that. Not that I expect him to chose us but I'm not taking anything rds sais seriously.

Old
07-01-2011, 07:57 PM
habitue*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
I agree. The last time he was great was in SJ before the lockout. He slowed down considerably since joining the Avs, and then the Caps.
Instead of getting him, I'd rather get depth players, like say O'brien and Stewart or Gagné if he comes cheap. If we're going to throw higher dollars at a Dman, might as well be Kaberle.
Why not McCabe then ?

Old
07-01-2011, 07:58 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
From Lavoie just now (maybe he's reading HF?):

renhockey Renaud P Lavoie
Voici les équipes toujours dans la course pour Brad Richards. Teams still in the running for Richards NYR-Flyers-Kings-Leafs-Flames

Old
07-01-2011, 07:58 PM
Drive425

Florida just sign Bergenheim?

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puc...urn=nhl-wp8481

Last edited by Drive425: 07-01-2011 at 08:05 PM.
Old
07-01-2011, 08:00 PM
LastRide

Reasoner signs with Isl's. http://islanders.nhl.com/club/news.h...rss-lebourdais

Old
07-01-2011, 08:03 PM
S Bah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monaco88 View Post
+1 Shane O'brien

and one of Stewart-Winchester-Boulton
I like all of these guys but,defence Paul Mara is good and Boulton at 6'1 225lbs can sure throw the bombs.He doesn't let anyone get away with pushing his teammates around good in the locker room too.He got 6 goals and 4 assists in 69 games with a +1 and 87 pim.plays a hard game similar to Moen but better fighter.Them with White would make Boston keep their eyes open.

Last edited by S Bah: 07-01-2011 at 08:09 PM.
Old
07-01-2011, 08:03 PM
The Russian General
Go Habs Go

I love people who say PG should've signed AK for more than one year. You know, maybe AK didn't want a longer contract since he didn't have a career year and can be UFA next year. Don't ever forget that there's two people negociating. It's not "PG wants two years so two years it is".

Old
07-01-2011, 08:08 PM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

O'Brien? Seriously? I watched him Vancouver a lotttttttt since they are my friends favourite team and my second favourite. He is no improvement over anything we have. Sure, he's physical - but I'm we could find a physical player who is decent. He's worse than O'Byrne was for us. Seriously.

I'd like Hannan as a Top-4 or Gagné as a Top-6.

But, we should probably just close this thread down anyway because Florida is just going to sign everyone.

Old
07-01-2011, 08:12 PM
Fel 96
JFC

Send a message via MSN to Fel 96
From the Panthers website...

Closed Thread