HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Panthers sign Sean Bergenheim, 4 yrs $11m

Old
07-01-2011, 08:13 PM
Markstrom Rules
Sup

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booootthh View Post
I think it's a good thing they aren't coming up. Let them keep getting more experience in the minors. This is what we have needed for such a long time.

I think us Panther fans for the first time can say we have NHL TALENT on all 4 lines. Something we haven't had in a long time. This is the way it should be.
I agree that it is good that we can be patient with our prospects now, but some prospects will be better than some of these NHL guys in a couple years. I would want the best players on the team. Also, you can't keep guys in the minors forever. At some point, they will have to pass through waivers to get sent down to the AHL when they play enough games in the AHL. We need to make room for some of these guys in a couple years.

Markstrom Rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2011, 08:14 PM
JPG

i like that theres no space for prospects to come up. thats how they develop. worked for the red wings for god knows how long to do it that way. id rather emulate them than...well us the past ten years.

JPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2011, 08:15 PM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainingRats View Post
Not really. It wont be easy to these dump contracts.
None of these are on a Campbell, Drury, Gomez, etc. level, not even on an Olesz level. Guys will be move around.

07-01-2011, 08:18 PM
Blad Meaning Gud
Yu - Behr - Doe

vCash: 50
Ummmm.. When will this end?

Blad Meaning Gud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2011, 08:24 PM
Markstrom Rules
Sup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holy Jokinen View Post
There are a few things to consider.

First off, the cap will continue to rise for the foreseeable future. In 2 years, i don't think we'll be having a ton of cap issues, at all.

Secondly, even though these guys are somewhat overpaid (some moreso than others) they're all very serviceable players. They all have some sort of positive role that they can fill on a team, and it's not all "leadership and experience." There's always a team that needs a Goc, or Bergenheim. I don't see a problem with dumping the guys that will eventually get replaced as our vast prospect pool shifts into gear.

This is the definition of a transition team. Depending on how things play out, we could be challenging for a playoff spot come March/April. If we make the playoffs, great. If not, it should be an excellent year, and our prospects aren't being rushed into the lineup -- something we've absolutely failed at over the past 10 years. The purpose of this offseason was depth, and we definitely bought that for ourselves. I'm very happy. Not just for this year, but also for the future.
I'm not worried about the cap if it keeps going up. All these contracts would be off the books by the time we spend significant money anyway. But we do have an internal budget and some young guys will be getting raises. For example, Kulikov could command a few million/yr next summer if he has a good year. Furthermore, we need to make space for some of our prospects in the next year or two. As I said above, you can't hoard guys in the minors forever. The waiver rules prevent that from happening. At some point, we have to ship some of these overpaid forwards off. Yes, some teams will always need a Goc or a Bergenheim. I'm not worried about Goc being able to be traded, but guys like Bergy, Kopecky, Flash? Yes. They are very overpaid.

I understand what Tallon was doing here today, but that doesn't change the fact that most of these guys are not only overpaid, but on long term deals. The latter is the part that worries me. I know we had to reach the cap floor, but it's the length of the deals. I still think someone is going to be traded though to remedy that. I'm thinking Booth.

Markstrom Rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2011, 08:25 PM
Blad Meaning Gud
Yu - Behr - Doe

vCash: 50
I like the look of our roster now.. But what about our #1 ranked prospect system? When will they ever get their chance? I guess we are gonna be super patient with our kids...

The countdown to 2015 begins now...

Blad Meaning Gud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2011, 08:28 PM
canucks22

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShootIt View Post
What's with these 4 year deals?

Does Tallon know he can sign players to 1-2 year deals?
And do you know that mid-aged players don't want 1-2 year deals? Lol, it's not a bad signing, some of you are underrating this guy. He's got some skill and he works really hard. I'm a Vancouver fan as well and when I watched him, his hustle and hard-working play reminded me of Alex Burrows

canucks22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2011, 08:31 PM
Great8Cam

The 4 year contract players got 1 million per year and 1 year too much, but we had to get to the floor and we had to bring in NHL players that are at least worth close to what they got today.

The team looks more like a Preds team - no great players, just hard working guys that will range in the 20-20-40 range.

Great8Cam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2011, 08:31 PM
ShootIt

Quote:
Originally Posted by canucks22 View Post
And do you know that mid-aged players don't want 1-2 year deals? Lol, it's not a bad signing, some of you are underrating this guy. He's got some skill and he works really hard. I'm a Vancouver fan as well and when I watched him, his hustle and hard-working play reminded me of Alex Burrows
That was more for Jovo, but, I rather overpay a little bit more, and sign some of these guys more line line for the bottom 6 to 2-3 year deals rather than for 4 years. But hey, if that was the deal breaker, I don't mind if Tallon gave them the 4th year for them to sign with us.

ShootIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2011, 08:33 PM
canucks22

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShootIt View Post
That was more for Jovo, but, I rather overpay a little bit more, and sign some of these guys more line line for the bottom 6 to 2-3 year deals rather than for 4 years. But hey, if that was the deal breaker, I don't mind if Tallon gave them the 4th year for them to sign with us.
Oh, I agree with the Jovo thing, I think the 4 years on that deal was a too much

canucks22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2011, 10:09 PM
Pantherfan12

I really wanted the Panthers to make a bid for Stamkos/Richards. I love the signings ( other than NOT resigning Vokoun) but we can all agree that we didn't sign a top line player.

Pantherfan12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 01:30 AM
Tuco

Looks like our signings are getting worse. If this trend continues, I hope this was the last signing. Waiver material, just like someone said.

Tuco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 02:54 AM
Mogo
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

vCash: 813
Understood all the overpaying because otherwise we wouldn't get the guys here and Bergenheim just mind boggles me. I've seen him play a lot in Finland too and IMO he's nothing more than a 4th liner borderline 3rd liner who just had career year last season.

Mogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 08:07 AM
Garriboy52

Happy about the pick up...adds more depth on offense which is what we need since we are STACKED on defense

Garriboy52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 08:45 AM
pb1300
BLEED RED

Send a message via Yahoo to pb1300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantherfan12 View Post
I really wanted the Panthers to make a bid for Stamkos/Richards. I love the signings ( other than NOT resigning Vokoun) but we can all agree that we didn't sign a top line player.
Richards would not have been that big of a difference here. It wasnt the right time to go after someone like him, because of the amount of players we needed to fill. In a couple of years, when we see our youth starting to take over, that is when you will see Tallon go out and get that type of player. He even said it in his interview alongside Santos, we just arent in a position to add one star player to this team.

Stamkos again would be a tremendous longshot. Not only do you have to take into account the four first rounders we would have to give up, his salary would bring us close to the cap, after we sign Santorelli, Matty, and Guds, and I just dont think Viner would want to go THAT high. Tallon said that even with these signings, we still have spots available for rookies to come in and take, like Guds, Howden, and Huberdeau.

pb1300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 10:51 AM
Rattrick

Send a message via AIM to Rattrick
Quote:
Originally Posted by pb1300 View Post
Richards would not have been that big of a difference here. It wasnt the right time to go after someone like him, because of the amount of players we needed to fill. In a couple of years, when we see our youth starting to take over, that is when you will see Tallon go out and get that type of player. He even said it in his interview alongside Santos, we just arent in a position to add one star player to this team.

Stamkos again would be a tremendous longshot. Not only do you have to take into account the four first rounders we would have to give up, his salary would bring us close to the cap, after we sign Santorelli, Matty, and Guds, and I just dont think Viner would want to go THAT high. Tallon said that even with these signings, we still have spots available for rookies to come in and take, like Guds, Howden, and Huberdeau.
Weren't you one of the ones asking for both of those guys?

Rattrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 10:54 AM
manifestodestiny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gudbranson4Prez View Post
I like the look of our roster now.. But what about our #1 ranked prospect system? When will they ever get their chance? I guess we are gonna be super patient with our kids...

The countdown to 2015 begins now...
And honestly, I love it. It seems to me that we (Florida) have rushed some players up who could have used some more time for matriculation. Now, we can allow Hubs, Grimaldi, and all of our prospects to grow in the juniors/minors, while we have competitive hockey.

manifestodestiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 12:13 PM
I May Be Wrong
I May Be The Stig

Send a message via MSN to I May Be Wrong
Quote:
Originally Posted by manifestodestiny View Post
And honestly, I love it. It seems to me that we (Florida) have rushed some players up who could have used some more time for matriculation. Now, we can allow Hubs, Grimaldi, and all of our prospects to grow in the juniors/minors, while we have competitive hockey.
Yup, the way a real NHL team should function. It's almost kind of sad it's such a blessing to us.

I May Be Wrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2011, 10:49 PM
CanadianPantherFan

I did not think we would land him. I understand people looking at the dollars on this deal,but I'm fairly happy just to land him with lots of money to spend to the floor.

CanadianPantherFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2011, 07:17 PM
Fat Doctor

I was wondering: could Sean be a top6-player in Panthers? I really haven't got to know your roster that well, but I think Bergenheim can be an excellent balancing player in top lines. I like'd him last season, in playoffs I just loved him.

BTW, Finnish Veikkaaja-magazine included an interview about him few months back. He said that he had accepted the fact that he can't be a new teemuselänne (like he always wanted when he was a junior), and now he wants to be the world's best allaround-player instead. The past year has been remarkable for him, and now his confidence is 100%. And if I recall, he changed his play in front of the net: now he is not as close to the goal that he was earlier, so he can get to rebounds better and score some garbage goals.

Anyway, I believe he might be a clutch player for you in the future, definently a fan favourite.

Sorry I my English is confusing, havent written in English for a while.

Fat Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2011, 01:47 AM
SQUIRM

All indications are that it will be a training camp battle to see who belongs where, followed by a season long ongoing process to make the lineup as effective as possible. Head coach Kevin Dineen (HCKD?) knows nothing of anyone in the lineup, which bodes well for anyone with the potential of being more than their previous resume might imply.

Coming off the playoff season he had, Bergenheim should be bursting with confidence, and he's got the $11 million payday to back it up. But the "on paper" scrutiny makes it difficult to predict him starting anywhere higher than the 3rd line.......a lot of us have him starting on the 4th line, though it will probably be a 4th line used more than most.

As someone who saw a lot of him on Long Island, I know he can bring a lot to the Panthers, and he's definitely a clutch hockey player. But the Panthers have plenty of guys that have reached the 20 goal mark, as well as some youngsters who look primed to do the same if put in an offensive role. So Bergenheim's facing that uphill battle.

He'll really have to do something special to find himself getting 15 min of ice time a game. Not saying it won't happen, just saying "on paper" he's likely destined for a bottom 6 role.

BTW, your english is outstanding.

SQUIRM is offline   Reply With Quote