HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

Canucks sign F Andrew Ebbett to 1 year, $525,000 deal

Old
07-01-2011, 06:35 PM
John Swartzwelder
MOAR TUFFNESS!!!1

vCash: 50
here is the great player gillis was talking about

John Swartzwelder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2011, 06:41 PM
Agent007

vCash: 500
It's a one way deal via twitter

Agent007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2011, 06:43 PM
Tiranis

Why are people surprised at these oneway deals? That's what you have to do to get AHL stars.

Tiranis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2011, 06:50 PM
Tarot Sport*

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigsaw99 View Post
we are getting smaller.... no more torres
Gillis: "We strongly believe Andrew Ebbett can help us replace what Raffi Torres brought."

Tarot Sport* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2011, 07:05 PM
Anzes Eyes
5th line centre

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Woolf View Post
Gillis: "We strongly believe Andrew Ebbett can help us replace what Raffi Torres brought."
That has to be sarcastic.

Anzes Eyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2011, 07:07 PM
fuzzay

Send a message via MSN to fuzzay
I liked Ebbett when he was with the Ducks and I know we were interested in adding him a couple of seasons back. Might be a good option for the 4th line. Maybe?

fuzzay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2011, 07:17 PM
MS

Likely signed to be a key cog for the AHL team (he's a star at that level) and can be one of the first callups in case of injuries.

145 games of NHL experience and scored 32 points in 48 games for the Ducks a couple years back.

MS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2011, 07:19 PM
LickTheEnvelope
6th Overall Blows

Both Ebbett and Mancari are over a PPG in the AHL.

Mancari 64 points in 56 games and Ebbett 67 points in his last 65 AHL games.

LickTheEnvelope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2011, 08:03 PM
NuxFan09

I love these AHL signings. With Ebbett and Mancari, our prospects are finally going to be surrounded with some decent talent at that level. With Eddie Lack in goal, the Wolves should be a competitive team next season. The only question mark will be the defense. The Wolves will see a lot of raw faces next year on the blueline (Polasek, Andersson, Tommernes etc.).

NuxFan09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2011, 08:41 PM
orcatown

Slight upgrade on Bolduc - but not enough that he can help the Caunucks to any degree

orcatown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2011, 08:44 PM
orcatown

Slight upgrade on Bolduc - but not enough that he can help the Canucks to any degree - think Marco Rosa

Old
07-01-2011, 08:45 PM
Tiranis

Quote:
Originally Posted by orcatown View Post
Slight upgrade on Bolduc - but not enough that he can help the Canucks to any degree - think Marco Rosa
Good thing he was signed for the Wolves then, isn't it?

Old
07-01-2011, 09:03 PM
The Big Foot

What is the waiver status of Ebbett and Mancari?

If they are able to stay mostly in Chicago (that sounds weird) but available for injury callups, I think these are great pickups.

The Big Foot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2011, 09:13 PM
orcatown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
Good thing he was signed for the Wolves then, isn't it?
Wow great insight here - who would have thought that. Real penetrating stuff as usual .

He is also a depth signing for the Canucks in case of injury. Played over 30 regular season games in the NHL last year and into the playoffs. Like Bolduc he would be one of the early call ups from the farm in case of injury.

Thus commenting on his ability in relation to Bolduc is revelant and I would say he is a better call up than Bolduc so I see the trade as plus for the team. Waiver situation is equal for both players as well I believe.

Old
07-01-2011, 09:18 PM
Tiranis

Quote:
Wow great insight here - who would have thought that. Real penetrating stuff as usual .

He is also a depth signing for the Canucks in case of injury. Played over 30 regular season games in the NHL last year and into the playoffs. Like Bolduc he would be one of the early call ups from the farm in case of injury.

Thus commenting on his ability in relation to Bolduc is revelant and I would say he is a better call up than Bolduc so I see the trade as plus for the team. Waiver situation is equal for both players as well I believe.
You think that a guy that's 5'9" and 172lbs is actually considered as a viable depth option for this club? Ok... Add to that the fact that one of the biggest knocks on him is his defensive game. Sounds like an AV type of player, doesn't he?

I would rather post short snarky replies instead of constantly writing bibles and being wrong, but I know you prefer the latter.

Old
07-01-2011, 09:18 PM
Lard_Lad

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Foot View Post
What is the waiver status of Ebbett and Mancari?

If they are able to stay mostly in Chicago (that sounds weird) but available for injury callups, I think these are great pickups.
Ebbett isn't exempt from regular or re-entry waivers, so he has to clear both ways; Mancari isn't exempt from regular but is from re-entry, so if he clears the first time he goes down he's good to go up and down the rest of the year.

Lard_Lad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2011, 10:10 PM
orcatown

Quote:
You think that a guy that's 5'9" and 172lbs is actually considered as a viable depth option for this club? Ok... Add to that the fact that one of the biggest knocks on him is his defensive game. Sounds like an AV type of player, doesn't he?

I would rather post short snarky replies instead of constantly writing bibles and being wrong, but I know you prefer the latter.
What are you talking about.

Ebbetts has played 145 games at the NHL level over the last 4 years. Do you really think he would have gotten that many games
if he absolutely could not play at the NHL level??? And doesn't that make him a viable depth option for an NHL team.

Are you actually saying that player that had 145 NHL games over the last few years is not a depth option??? Does that honestly make sense to you.

Also he is a +2 in those 145 games so where do get that the big knock against him is his defensive game. The fact that he has survived, at times, at the NHL level somewhat is because he is responsible defensively. He is not there because of his offensive. Indeed he has mostly plays on checking lines

But if you want to say that the knock on him is defense then provide some support. Tell us the evidence.

And that's the real difference b/w us. It is not that I write bibles while you write snarky comments, it is that I try to back up what I say with support rather than make some vague unsubstantiated statement. You may disagree with the support I supply but at least I try.

But go ahead and prove me wrong. Let's see you put together an argument showing why Ebbetts is not a depth option. But provide some real support for what you say. Anyone can throw out comments but it is a little harder when you actually have to explain yourself and support what you say.

Old
07-01-2011, 10:14 PM
vanuck
Griffiths Way Goons

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lard_Lad View Post
Ebbett isn't exempt from regular or re-entry waivers, so he has to clear both ways; Mancari isn't exempt from regular but is from re-entry, so if he clears the first time he goes down he's good to go up and down the rest of the year.
Could never really get waiver statuses and such... thanks.

vanuck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2011, 10:25 PM
Tiranis

Quote:
But go ahead and prove me wrong. Let's see you put together an argument showing why Ebbetts is not a depth option. But provide some real support for what you say. Anyone can throw out comments but it is a little harder when you actually have to explain yourself and support what you say.
*sigh* Fine. Last season Ebbett was a team-worst -0.91 in relative +/- per 60 minutes played on the Phoenix Coyotes. This is while facing roughly average quality of competition and getting a good share of offensive zone faceoff starts (top 1/3 on the team).

The year prior to that? Yet again he was one of the worst players on his team (the Wild) with -0.85 relative +/- per 60 minutes. Faced incredibly soft competition with a good percentage of offensive zone faceoff starts (top 1/3 on the team).

The only reason his +/- is where it is historically is because of a good year with the Ducks in 08-09 when he put up 32 points in 48 games but he hasn't come anywhere close to repeating that performance since then. Of course, I don't think he could've possibly gotten easier minutes — they were BUTTERY SOFT. You know why he had such a good year offensively (aside from the buttery soft minutes he got)? Because he spent most of it plaing with Bobby Ryan and Teemu Selanne.

And finally, I have seen him play. He's too weak and defensively inconsistent for the 4th line, he doesn't produce enough for the 2nd and 3rd line, plus he needs to play center to have even any sort of success at the NHL level. He's incapable of being a winger at the pro level (well, unless you want him to suck).

Volpatti, Sweatt, Hodgson, and Mark Mancari are not eligible for the waivers (Ebbett is, both ways), and can fill roles better at the NHL level. And that's assuming we don't make any more AHL level signings.

There's a reason this guy has been with 5 teams in slightly more than 3 years.

Last edited by Tiranis: 07-01-2011 at 10:38 PM.
Old
07-01-2011, 10:40 PM
just22
meat and taters

Quote:
Are you actually saying that player that had 145 NHL games over the last few years is not a depth option??? Does that honestly make sense to you.
the only way you'd see ebbett play is if there's a ton of injuries... pretty sure he's first and foremost a wolves signing... there's a lot of players that are far ahead of him on the depth list

just22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2011, 10:41 PM
Tiranis

Of course, he's pretty good for some highlight hits:

Old
07-01-2011, 10:58 PM
Eric

Man the guy should stay away from that corner of the ice...3 crushing hits in the exact same spot.

Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 02:30 AM
orcatown

Quote:
*sigh* Fine. Last season Ebbett was a team-worst -0.91 in relative +/- per 60 minutes played on the Phoenix Coyotes. This is while facing roughly average quality of competition and getting a good share of offensive zone faceoff starts (top 1/3 on the team).

The year prior to that? Yet again he was one of the worst players on his team (the Wild) with -0.85 relative +/- per 60 minutes. Faced incredibly soft competition with a good percentage of offensive zone faceoff starts (top 1/3 on the team).

The only reason his +/- is where it is historically is because of a good year with the Ducks in 08-09 when he put up 32 points in 48 games but he hasn't come anywhere close to repeating that performance since then. Of course, I don't think he could've possibly gotten easier minutes they were BUTTERY SOFT. You know why he had such a good year offensively (aside from the buttery soft minutes he got)? Because he spent most of it plaing with Bobby Ryan and Teemu Selanne.

And finally, I have seen him play. He's too weak and defensively inconsistent for the 4th line, he doesn't produce enough for the 2nd and 3rd line, plus he needs to play center to have even any sort of success at the NHL level. He's incapable of being a winger at the pro level (well, unless you want him to suck).

Volpatti, Sweatt, Hodgson, and Mark Mancari are not eligible for the waivers (Ebbett is, both ways), and can fill roles better at the NHL level. And that's assuming we don't make any more AHL level signings.

Good try but you are confusing terminology and ideas here. You confusing the difference b/w a bona vide NHL player and a depth player. What you had to prove was that Ebbett was not a depth player not that he wasn't a bona vide NHL regular. You just changed the frame of reference by mixing the idea of legit NHL player and depth player.

Is Ebbett a bona vide NHL player - No. And I never said he was. But when you are talking about a depth player you are taking about something different. You are talking about a player who can come up and replace a regular player over a some term of period. That is what I mean when I say he is depth player and that I believe is the usual meaning of this term.

Ebbett is about the same ability and has the same status in the League as Tambellini. In fact, I would say he is a somewhat of an upgrade on Tambellini. He is also like Bolduc - another player who is not good enough for the NHL but who can serve a term as a replacement player. None of these players are regulars but they can provide some depth in case of injury.

That is obviously true since that is exactly what they were last year. Tambellini and Bolduc were both depth players on the Canucks and Ebbett was a depth player for the Yotes. Now he is a depth player for the Canucks. To say he isn't as good as other depth player such as Volpatti, Mancari, Sweatt or Hodgson (which is generally a false comparison since these player, outside of Hodgson, fill different depth positions) does not negate the fact that Ebbett has, even last season, played the role of a depth player.

In fact, in a sense , you are confirming that Ebbett is a depth player but putting him in with other depth players

And again Ebbett has played 146 NHL games over the last four years clearly showing he has been used as a replacement player or as depth over the last few years. You may think he has been a lousy replacement or depth player but that does not change the fact that he has been used as depth player.

If you really want to address the issue you need to show how he is not a depth player for the Canucks. IMO the Canucks would surely consider Ebbett as mainline player on the farm and also a player that could move up in case of injury . In other words a depth player.

Old
07-02-2011, 03:15 AM
GCM
Stork

orcatown you're the one changing the subject.

you asked him to support his argument that Ebbett was weak defensively and he did and now you're arguing definitions.

By your definition of depth player, anybody under contract is a depth player if they're not on the active roster.

GCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 04:02 AM
Zarpan

Quote:

The only reason his +/- is where it is historically is because of a good year with the Ducks in 08-09 when he put up 32 points in 48 games but he hasn't come anywhere close to repeating that performance since then. Of course, I don't think he could've possibly gotten easier minutes they were BUTTERY SOFT. You know why he had such a good year offensively (aside from the buttery soft minutes he got)? Because he spent most of it plaing with Bobby Ryan and Teemu Selanne.

It seems his poor relative +/- is more due to his team's inability to score while he is on the ice rather than giving up a lot of goals. His even strength GA/60 was 1.68 last year, 2.40 with Minny, and 2.27 with Anaheim in 08/09. However GF/60 was well under 2 during the last 2 years vs. 3.35 in 08/09.

Zarpan is offline   Reply With Quote