HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

For REAL, What did we just DO?

Old
07-01-2011, 09:38 PM
funghoul
retardo montalbon

vCash: 500
For REAL, What did we just DO?

did we create an entirely new team with a good mix of veteran leadership and skill along with highly talented youth minus a bad group of players whose personalities were detrimental to winning? Or did we completely blow up an entire program because of a couple of teamates butting heads? I know we needed the goalie. I'm glad we did that. And i expected to get rid of carter. Schenn and the rest look good to me. but with Jagr and talbot signing, what seemed promising and good yesterday just seems wrong today. None of us have had to change how we've felt about this team this dramatically in the history of the Flyers. Who is this team?

funghoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2011, 09:41 PM
RevUpThoseGolfCarts
Experts at losing

It's the Flyers. I like this new look, it's really exciting and refreshing.

RevUpThoseGolfCarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2011, 09:43 PM
King Forsberg
21 68 88 16 44 28

vCash: 300
It is what it is....

King Forsberg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2011, 09:44 PM
redfield85

Send a message via AIM to redfield85
The only thing I am confused on is do we still whistle at Jagr when he gets the puck now?

redfield85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2011, 09:46 PM
FlyingHigh
save us flyer jesus!

Quote:
Originally Posted by funghoul View Post
did we create an entirely new team with a good mix of veteran leadership and skill along with highly talented youth minus a bad group of players whose personalities were detrimental to winning? Or did we completely blow up an entire program because of a couple of teamates butting heads? I know we needed the goalie. I'm glad we did that. And i expected to get rid of carter. Schenn and the rest look good to me. but with Jagr and talbot signing, what seemed promising and good yesterday just seems wrong today. None of us have had to change how we've felt about this team this dramatically in the history of the Flyers. Who is this team?
We will find out man. Jagr is an enigma. Who knows what we are getting with him. He could pot 35 goals or completely destroy the locker room. I don't expect the Flyers to be contenders THIS year, depending on if Homer is done. I will say we are a darkhorse candidate, with a top 10 goalie we could surprise alot of teams.

All i know is this. We have youth, size on the wing, a good goalie, and a great coach. And for once....CAP SPACE! If this team goes nuts and contends for #1 in the Division or even conference, Homer can make a move to get someone to put us over the top...and i don't mean Carcillo or Adam Oates....

FlyingHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2011, 09:47 PM
flyersfan187

Send a message via AIM to flyersfan187 Send a message via Skype™ to flyersfan187
I don't think we are done yet even. Something has to happen tomorrow with all this talk surrounding the Flyers and a big move

flyersfan187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2011, 09:49 PM
usahockey22flyers
Classic Coburn...

Well if you think about it, theres unproven NHL talent on this team. (Schenn and Couterier), and then theres 2nd/3rd year guys about to take the next step (Giroux, JvR, Voracek, Simmonds).

So what we did today, brought in Jagr for one year at a decent cap hit (3.3), which guarentees around 45-60 points and makes our team that much more stable with proven talent.

Brought in Talbot, one of the best "locker room" guys in the entire NHL. We all know what he does in the playoffs and he's fantastic on the PK.

usahockey22flyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2011, 10:02 PM
o Hamhuis 2 x

I'm loving this team and I'm hoping we get a superstar. Either via trade or free agency. I've heard Richards, Yandle, Doughty, Parise. Id be absolutely thrilled to have any of those guys on our team

o Hamhuis 2 x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2011, 10:20 PM
ShawnTHW
@ShawnTHW

Quote:
Originally Posted by redfield85 View Post
The only thing I am confused on is do we still whistle at Jagr when he gets the puck now?
This Jagr:

NO!

But this Jagr:

YES!

ShawnTHW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2011, 10:25 PM
FlyingHigh
save us flyer jesus!

that girl is totally checking his ass out.

Old
07-01-2011, 10:37 PM
flountown

Number 15 there would get it...

But yes, I imagine a couple of goodnatured whistles will occur early on, and he will understand that it is simply a goodnatured welcoming...

flountown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2011, 10:42 PM
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by o Hamhuis 2 x View Post
I've heard Richards, Yandle, Doughty, Parise. Id be absolutely thrilled to have any of those guys on our team
Yeah, about that. There's this thing called a "salary cap". Just because our GM pays no mind to it doesn't mean the fans can ignore it as well.

CharlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2011, 10:47 PM
Prongo
Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by o Hamhuis 2 x View Post
. I've heard Richards, Yandle, Doughty, Parise. Id be absolutely thrilled to have any of those guys on our team
Anyone but Parise... Lou wouldn't trade us langenbrunner and we supposedly had the best offer on the table last year. So the only way we get parise would be offer sheet and i just dont see use doing that. I do hope they make a huge trade tomorrow for Stammer!

Prongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2011, 10:47 PM
OttawaRoughRiderFan
Make It 30!!!!

Quote:
Great, well written post.

I am not a Flyers fan so I am not sure what to think. I am just not sure how you blow up a team this close to a cup 2 years in a row. A goalie may have been enough.

I don't think Jagr is the answer. Watch him and Pronger clash.

OttawaRoughRiderFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2011, 10:52 PM
Pantokrator
Who's the clown?

I'm still trying to figure out what happened and what we still need. Do we need a 4th line center still? Do we have one? Does losing Versteeg hinder out depth? Also, if we get Richards, I figure it will be an 8-10 yr contract for 7-9 million. Will that kill use down the road?

I'm trying to figure out what this team will look like. I'd love to get Gagne back, but I don't know how he will contribute or where. Plus, I am concerned that Jagr will be slow and ineffective.

Pantokrator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2011, 10:58 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

vCash: 156
Quote:
If we did the first and succeeded in one offseason, Holmgren will have made Toronto look like a bunch of fools

07-01-2011, 10:59 PM
Pantokrator
Who's the clown?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevyD View Post
Great, well written post.

I am not a Flyers fan so I am not sure what to think. I am just not sure how you blow up a team this close to a cup 2 years in a row. A goalie may have been enough.

I don't think Jagr is the answer. Watch him and Pronger clash.
For the record, two years ago we made the playoffs on the last day of the season and did not have to play the two best teams in the conference (Washington and Pittsburgh). So, while we nearly won the Cup last year, the team was not dominant. This year, we got destroyed by the Bruins. So, I don't know how close in reality we were to being a true Cup challenger.

I don't think we are any further away from being a Cup contender, but until we see how chemistry works out, I think we are still behind at least a healthy Pittsburgh and the Bruins (and perhaps Buffalo and Washington as well). Right now I'd put us in the 3rd to 7th spot in the conference.

Old
07-01-2011, 11:01 PM
Yoshimitsu

Holmgren will look like a genius If this ends up working out (and I stress IF). Say what you will about Homer, but the man has balls.

Yoshimitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2011, 11:04 PM
FlyingHigh
save us flyer jesus!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantokrator View Post
For the record, two years ago we made the playoffs on the last day of the season and did not have to play the two best teams in the conference (Washington and Pittsburgh). So, while we nearly won the Cup last year, the team was not dominant. This year, we got destroyed by the Bruins. So, I don't know how close in reality we were to being a true Cup challenger.

I don't think we are any further away from being a Cup contender, but until we see how chemistry works out, I think we are still behind at least a healthy Pittsburgh and the Bruins (and perhaps Buffalo and Washington as well). Right now I'd put us in the 3rd to 7th spot in the conference.
Buffalo will be better next year for sure, but until they can get some kind of resemblance of center depth, i still think the flyers are above. Right now their best center is a injury ridden Roy or Ville "pay me" Leino...

Old
07-01-2011, 11:05 PM
Drydenwasthebest

Holmgren just doesn't seem to get it. For the past two seasons all Philly needed was a good goalie. So, what does he do? He gets rid of super star talent to bring in rookies with potential, an aging veteran who hasn't played NHL hockey in 3 years and a top goalie while getting rid of a lot of depth and strength. Why would he let Richards, Carter, Leino, Versteeg, Carcillo, Walker, all go in order to sign a goalie and change the entire roster when all he had to do was get rid of an Versteeg and Walker to have enough room to sign Bryz?!?! I am soooo happy Holmgren is the GM in Philly, and have said so for some time.

Drydenwasthebest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2011, 11:06 PM
Flyerfan808

OUT:

Richards
Carter
Leino
O'Donnell
Boucher
Carcillo
Versteeg
Powe
Bordson
Clackson
Boynton

IN:

Schenn
Simmonds
Voracek
Couturier
Jagr
Lilja
Bryzgalov
Talbot
FLA 2nd and 3rd 2012
MIN 3rd 2012

Before the trades my expectations going into 2012 were "Stanley Cup." My expectations now are "????." We will have to wait and see if this new group can gel together this season and get it done. Chemistry will be the determining factor.

Flyerfan808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2011, 11:06 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5872
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drydenwasthebest View Post
Holmgren just doesn't seem to get it. For the past two seasons all Philly needed was a good goalie. So, what does he do? He gets rid of super star talent to bring in rookies with potential, an aging veteran who hasn't played NHL hockey in 3 years and a top goalie while getting rid of a lot of depth and strength. Why would he let Richards, Carter, Leino, Versteeg, Carcillo, Walker, all go in order to sign a goalie and change the entire roster when all he had to do was get rid of an Versteeg and Walker to have enough room to sign Bryz?!?! I am soooo happy Holmgren is the GM in Philly, and have said so for some time.
Richards was clearly beyond simply cap space.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2011, 11:08 PM
OriginJM
watch out im smart

Still haven't signed Simmonds yet.

Worrying.

OriginJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2011, 11:11 PM
PhilaFlyers

vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by OriginJM View Post
Still haven't signed Simmonds yet.

Worrying.
He'll sign.

PhilaFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2011, 11:12 PM
Pantokrator
Who's the clown?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyerfan808 View Post
OUT:

Richards
Carter
Leino
O'Donnell
Boucher
Carcillo
Versteeg
Powe
Bordson
Clackson
Boynton

IN:

Schenn
Simmonds
Voracek
Couturier
Jagr
Lilja
Bryzgalov
Talbot
FLA 2nd and 3rd 2012
MIN 3rd 2012

Before the trades my expectations going into 2012 were "Stanley Cup." My expectations now are "????." We will have to wait and see if this new group can gel together this season and get it done. Chemistry will be the determining factor.
Looking at that list, it looks to me that the Flyers really got depleted at dependable depth at forward and gain in goaltending. The lack of forward depth concerns me.