HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

For REAL, What did we just DO?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-01-2011, 09:38 PM
  #1
funghoul
retardo montalbon
 
funghoul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: upper drugs
Country: United States
Posts: 1,671
vCash: 500
For REAL, What did we just DO?

did we create an entirely new team with a good mix of veteran leadership and skill along with highly talented youth minus a bad group of players whose personalities were detrimental to winning? Or did we completely blow up an entire program because of a couple of teamates butting heads? I know we needed the goalie. I'm glad we did that. And i expected to get rid of carter. Schenn and the rest look good to me. but with Jagr and talbot signing, what seemed promising and good yesterday just seems wrong today. None of us have had to change how we've felt about this team this dramatically in the history of the Flyers. Who is this team?

funghoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2011, 09:41 PM
  #2
RevUpThoseGolfCarts
Experts at losing
 
RevUpThoseGolfCarts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 1,810
vCash: 500
It's the Flyers. I like this new look, it's really exciting and refreshing.

RevUpThoseGolfCarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2011, 09:43 PM
  #3
King Forsberg
21 68 88 16 44 28
 
King Forsberg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 5,220
vCash: 300
It is what it is....

King Forsberg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2011, 09:44 PM
  #4
redfield85
Registered User
 
redfield85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 44
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to redfield85
The only thing I am confused on is do we still whistle at Jagr when he gets the puck now?

redfield85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2011, 09:46 PM
  #5
FlyingHigh
save us flyer jesus!
 
FlyingHigh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Cary, NC
Country: United States
Posts: 58
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by funghoul View Post
did we create an entirely new team with a good mix of veteran leadership and skill along with highly talented youth minus a bad group of players whose personalities were detrimental to winning? Or did we completely blow up an entire program because of a couple of teamates butting heads? I know we needed the goalie. I'm glad we did that. And i expected to get rid of carter. Schenn and the rest look good to me. but with Jagr and talbot signing, what seemed promising and good yesterday just seems wrong today. None of us have had to change how we've felt about this team this dramatically in the history of the Flyers. Who is this team?
We will find out man. Jagr is an enigma. Who knows what we are getting with him. He could pot 35 goals or completely destroy the locker room. I don't expect the Flyers to be contenders THIS year, depending on if Homer is done. I will say we are a darkhorse candidate, with a top 10 goalie we could surprise alot of teams.

All i know is this. We have youth, size on the wing, a good goalie, and a great coach. And for once....CAP SPACE! If this team goes nuts and contends for #1 in the Division or even conference, Homer can make a move to get someone to put us over the top...and i don't mean Carcillo or Adam Oates....

FlyingHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2011, 09:47 PM
  #6
flyersfan187
Registered User
 
flyersfan187's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Morrisdale, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 1,830
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to flyersfan187 Send a message via Skype™ to flyersfan187
I don't think we are done yet even. Something has to happen tomorrow with all this talk surrounding the Flyers and a big move

flyersfan187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2011, 09:49 PM
  #7
usahockey22flyers
Classic Coburn...
 
usahockey22flyers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: New Jersey, USA
Country: United States
Posts: 2,334
vCash: 500
Well if you think about it, theres unproven NHL talent on this team. (Schenn and Couterier), and then theres 2nd/3rd year guys about to take the next step (Giroux, JvR, Voracek, Simmonds).

So what we did today, brought in Jagr for one year at a decent cap hit (3.3), which guarentees around 45-60 points and makes our team that much more stable with proven talent.

Brought in Talbot, one of the best "locker room" guys in the entire NHL. We all know what he does in the playoffs and he's fantastic on the PK.

usahockey22flyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2011, 10:02 PM
  #8
o Hamhuis 2 x
Registered User
 
o Hamhuis 2 x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Reading PA
Country: United States
Posts: 903
vCash: 500
I'm loving this team and I'm hoping we get a superstar. Either via trade or free agency. I've heard Richards, Yandle, Doughty, Parise. Id be absolutely thrilled to have any of those guys on our team

o Hamhuis 2 x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2011, 10:20 PM
  #9
ShawnTHW
@ShawnTHW
 
ShawnTHW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Country: United States
Posts: 8,890
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by redfield85 View Post
The only thing I am confused on is do we still whistle at Jagr when he gets the puck now?
This Jagr:



NO!

But this Jagr:



YES!

ShawnTHW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2011, 10:25 PM
  #10
FlyingHigh
save us flyer jesus!
 
FlyingHigh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Cary, NC
Country: United States
Posts: 58
vCash: 500
that girl is totally checking his ass out.

FlyingHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2011, 10:37 PM
  #11
flountown
Registered User
 
flountown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 1,358
vCash: 500
Number 15 there would get it...

But yes, I imagine a couple of goodnatured whistles will occur early on, and he will understand that it is simply a goodnatured welcoming...

flountown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2011, 10:42 PM
  #12
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo
 
CharlieGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Kitchener, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 29,863
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by o Hamhuis 2 x View Post
I've heard Richards, Yandle, Doughty, Parise. Id be absolutely thrilled to have any of those guys on our team
Yeah, about that. There's this thing called a "salary cap". Just because our GM pays no mind to it doesn't mean the fans can ignore it as well.

CharlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2011, 10:47 PM
  #13
Prongo
Beer
 
Prongo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 13,880
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by o Hamhuis 2 x View Post
. I've heard Richards, Yandle, Doughty, Parise. Id be absolutely thrilled to have any of those guys on our team
Anyone but Parise... Lou wouldn't trade us langenbrunner and we supposedly had the best offer on the table last year. So the only way we get parise would be offer sheet and i just dont see use doing that. I do hope they make a huge trade tomorrow for Stammer!

Prongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2011, 10:47 PM
  #14
OttawaRoughRiderFan
Make It 30!!!!
 
OttawaRoughRiderFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Niagara
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,031
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by funghoul View Post
did we create an entirely new team with a good mix of veteran leadership and skill along with highly talented youth minus a bad group of players whose personalities were detrimental to winning? Or did we completely blow up an entire program because of a couple of teamates butting heads? I know we needed the goalie. I'm glad we did that. And i expected to get rid of carter. Schenn and the rest look good to me. but with Jagr and talbot signing, what seemed promising and good yesterday just seems wrong today. None of us have had to change how we've felt about this team this dramatically in the history of the Flyers. Who is this team?
Great, well written post.

I am not a Flyers fan so I am not sure what to think. I am just not sure how you blow up a team this close to a cup 2 years in a row. A goalie may have been enough.

I don't think Jagr is the answer. Watch him and Pronger clash.

OttawaRoughRiderFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2011, 10:52 PM
  #15
Pantokrator
Who's the clown?
 
Pantokrator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Semmes, Alabama
Country: Guatemala
Posts: 4,319
vCash: 500
I'm still trying to figure out what happened and what we still need. Do we need a 4th line center still? Do we have one? Does losing Versteeg hinder out depth? Also, if we get Richards, I figure it will be an 8-10 yr contract for 7-9 million. Will that kill use down the road?

I'm trying to figure out what this team will look like. I'd love to get Gagne back, but I don't know how he will contribute or where. Plus, I am concerned that Jagr will be slow and ineffective.

Pantokrator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2011, 10:58 PM
  #16
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor
 
Beef Invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Centreville
Country: Lord Howe Island
Posts: 37,826
vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by funghoul View Post
did we create an entirely new team with a good mix of veteran leadership and skill along with highly talented youth minus a bad group of players whose personalities were detrimental to winning? Or did we completely blow up an entire program because of a couple of teamates butting heads? I know we needed the goalie. I'm glad we did that. And i expected to get rid of carter. Schenn and the rest look good to me. but with Jagr and talbot signing, what seemed promising and good yesterday just seems wrong today. None of us have had to change how we've felt about this team this dramatically in the history of the Flyers. Who is this team?
If we did the first and succeeded in one offseason, Holmgren will have made Toronto look like a bunch of fools

__________________
Down in the basement, I've got a Craftsman lathe. Show it to the children when they misbehave.
Beef Invictus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2011, 10:59 PM
  #17
Pantokrator
Who's the clown?
 
Pantokrator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Semmes, Alabama
Country: Guatemala
Posts: 4,319
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevyD View Post
Great, well written post.

I am not a Flyers fan so I am not sure what to think. I am just not sure how you blow up a team this close to a cup 2 years in a row. A goalie may have been enough.

I don't think Jagr is the answer. Watch him and Pronger clash.
For the record, two years ago we made the playoffs on the last day of the season and did not have to play the two best teams in the conference (Washington and Pittsburgh). So, while we nearly won the Cup last year, the team was not dominant. This year, we got destroyed by the Bruins. So, I don't know how close in reality we were to being a true Cup challenger.

I don't think we are any further away from being a Cup contender, but until we see how chemistry works out, I think we are still behind at least a healthy Pittsburgh and the Bruins (and perhaps Buffalo and Washington as well). Right now I'd put us in the 3rd to 7th spot in the conference.

Pantokrator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2011, 11:01 PM
  #18
Yoshimitsu
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 5,007
vCash: 500
Holmgren will look like a genius If this ends up working out (and I stress IF). Say what you will about Homer, but the man has balls.

Yoshimitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2011, 11:04 PM
  #19
FlyingHigh
save us flyer jesus!
 
FlyingHigh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Cary, NC
Country: United States
Posts: 58
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantokrator View Post
For the record, two years ago we made the playoffs on the last day of the season and did not have to play the two best teams in the conference (Washington and Pittsburgh). So, while we nearly won the Cup last year, the team was not dominant. This year, we got destroyed by the Bruins. So, I don't know how close in reality we were to being a true Cup challenger.

I don't think we are any further away from being a Cup contender, but until we see how chemistry works out, I think we are still behind at least a healthy Pittsburgh and the Bruins (and perhaps Buffalo and Washington as well). Right now I'd put us in the 3rd to 7th spot in the conference.
Buffalo will be better next year for sure, but until they can get some kind of resemblance of center depth, i still think the flyers are above. Right now their best center is a injury ridden Roy or Ville "pay me" Leino...

FlyingHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2011, 11:05 PM
  #20
Drydenwasthebest
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 3,536
vCash: 500
Holmgren just doesn't seem to get it. For the past two seasons all Philly needed was a good goalie. So, what does he do? He gets rid of super star talent to bring in rookies with potential, an aging veteran who hasn't played NHL hockey in 3 years and a top goalie while getting rid of a lot of depth and strength. Why would he let Richards, Carter, Leino, Versteeg, Carcillo, Walker, all go in order to sign a goalie and change the entire roster when all he had to do was get rid of an Versteeg and Walker to have enough room to sign Bryz?!?! I am soooo happy Holmgren is the GM in Philly, and have said so for some time.

Drydenwasthebest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2011, 11:06 PM
  #21
Flyerfan808
Registered User
 
Flyerfan808's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Honolulu, HI
Country: United States
Posts: 2,002
vCash: 500
OUT:

Richards
Carter
Leino
O'Donnell
Boucher
Carcillo
Versteeg
Powe
Bordson
Clackson
Boynton

IN:

Schenn
Simmonds
Voracek
Couturier
Jagr
Lilja
Bryzgalov
Talbot
FLA 2nd and 3rd 2012
MIN 3rd 2012

Before the trades my expectations going into 2012 were "Stanley Cup." My expectations now are "????." We will have to wait and see if this new group can gel together this season and get it done. Chemistry will be the determining factor.

Flyerfan808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2011, 11:06 PM
  #22
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment
 
GKJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Do not trade plz
Country: United States
Posts: 110,443
vCash: 5872
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drydenwasthebest View Post
Holmgren just doesn't seem to get it. For the past two seasons all Philly needed was a good goalie. So, what does he do? He gets rid of super star talent to bring in rookies with potential, an aging veteran who hasn't played NHL hockey in 3 years and a top goalie while getting rid of a lot of depth and strength. Why would he let Richards, Carter, Leino, Versteeg, Carcillo, Walker, all go in order to sign a goalie and change the entire roster when all he had to do was get rid of an Versteeg and Walker to have enough room to sign Bryz?!?! I am soooo happy Holmgren is the GM in Philly, and have said so for some time.
Richards was clearly beyond simply cap space.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2011, 11:08 PM
  #23
OriginJM
watch out im smart
 
OriginJM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 4,527
vCash: 500
Still haven't signed Simmonds yet.

Worrying.

OriginJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2011, 11:11 PM
  #24
PhilaFlyers
Registered User
 
PhilaFlyers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 8,239
vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by OriginJM View Post
Still haven't signed Simmonds yet.

Worrying.
He'll sign.

PhilaFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2011, 11:12 PM
  #25
Pantokrator
Who's the clown?
 
Pantokrator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Semmes, Alabama
Country: Guatemala
Posts: 4,319
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyerfan808 View Post
OUT:

Richards
Carter
Leino
O'Donnell
Boucher
Carcillo
Versteeg
Powe
Bordson
Clackson
Boynton

IN:

Schenn
Simmonds
Voracek
Couturier
Jagr
Lilja
Bryzgalov
Talbot
FLA 2nd and 3rd 2012
MIN 3rd 2012

Before the trades my expectations going into 2012 were "Stanley Cup." My expectations now are "????." We will have to wait and see if this new group can gel together this season and get it done. Chemistry will be the determining factor.
Looking at that list, it looks to me that the Flyers really got depleted at dependable depth at forward and gain in goaltending. The lack of forward depth concerns me.

Pantokrator is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:22 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.