Notices

Going after Richards hard

Old
07-01-2011, 08:53 PM
SmellOfVictory

vCash: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by MorrisWanchuk View Post
good luck to you guys if you land him - but don't you think at the price quoted he's gonna choke your club cap wise for several years?

we've been through this recently with horribly overpaid FAs. i hope we get Brad - but only at a sensible cap hit. it's just not worth it otherwise.
It's not great, but it's not awful, especially with cap increases. After next season the Flames lose a ton of bloated contracts/dead weight; Richards would make it more awkward to work in new players, but not as bad as things have been the past couple of years.

SmellOfVictory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2011, 08:58 PM
Calculon
unholy acting talent

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by MorrisWanchuk View Post
good luck to you guys if you land him - but don't you think at the price quoted he's gonna choke your club cap wise for several years?

we've been through this recently with horribly overpaid FAs. i hope we get Brad - but only at a sensible cap hit. it's just not worth it otherwise.
No actually. All the big ticket, NTC players who aren't considered part of the 'core' are unrestricted free agents next season. Jokinen, Langkow, Sarich, and Hagman free up 13.5M in space. Stajan's 3.5M cap hit becomes tradable as his real salary drops to 2.5M. If a couple of Brodie, Negrin, Howse, Bartschi and Nemisz were able to develop, it could work out. It's unlikely Richards signs here, but a 7M cap hit could work.

Calculon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2011, 09:07 PM
Skobel24
GO IGGY GO!

If Feaster lands Richards, Ill be personally making a "Sorry for calling you a dumbass and claiming you should be fired" thread. I knew he'd make an offer, but I honestly didn't think he'd really consider Calgary.

Skobel24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2011, 09:10 PM
saillias

I'm not sure I even want him. From Richards' perspective, with his personal relationship with Feaster, the money and term (apparently) the best offer, and Iginla and Tanguay selling him on Calgary's merits, it might be enough to convince him.

From a Flames fan perspective? 9 years... Let NYR sign him and buy him out in 5.

saillias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2011, 09:12 PM
Roughneck

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Roughneck
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skobel24 View Post
If Feaster lands Richards, Ill be personally making a "Sorry for calling you a dumbass and claiming you should be fired" thread. I knew he'd make an offer, but I honestly didn't think he'd really consider Calgary.
Screw that, in three years the contract will be enough of an albatross that even the three straight Stanley Cups wouldn't be enough to hide Feaster from my scorn.

Roughneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2011, 09:27 PM
StreakingRed
**Rebuild Ahead**

Bob McKenzie:

Quote:
I suspect NYR favorite to win out, but I would guess CGY is ahead of TOR or LA or other suitors at this point. Will find out soon enough.

StreakingRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2011, 09:43 PM
Backlund

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmellOfVictory View Post
3rd line makes most sense. Have the 2nd line centred by Langkow to do the heavy lifting, Richards on the 1st line, and the 4th line centred by whichever of Joker or Stajan remain. Flames would be incredibly expensive down the middle for a season, but that'll happen.

Either way, I'm not a fan of 7 mil for 9 seasons when a guy is over 30. The last half of that contract is likely to be pretty awful.
2nd line makes the most sense to me. Because obviously if Richards comes then he will be the first line center moving Backlund down. But Backlund on the 2nd line would be great especially setting up Jokinen and Bourque. Moving him to the third line would be too much of what we used to do and we would completely **** up his development. And if we **** up another prospect I will be pissed. We need to get the youth in to the lineup.

Backlund is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2011, 09:44 PM
Backlund

He won't make his decision today. I guess we will have to wait until tomorrow.

Old
07-01-2011, 09:48 PM
Stewie Griffin
Benevolent Overlord

vCash: 1200
I have no problem with a $7 mm cap hit. Even over 9 years, as long as it's front loaded.

I don't like a $10 mm cap hit for only 6 years.

Stewie Griffin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2011, 09:52 PM
WhereIsIt
#gift

Holy ****, this is awesome news.

You guys are way to fixated on having his cap hit in 10 years. Try thinking about the first 7 years and the fact that our current cap hell does not extend into 2021. Not to mention economic inflation and salary cap expansions will take place during that time period to soften the blow.

Live it up now people, get excited, if only for one night. We have a chance of having one of the best lines in the league for years to come if we get Richards.

And stop worrying about Backlund. The suggestion that having him play on the third line (god forbid he play at his current talent level) will stunt his development is ridiculous.

WhereIsIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2011, 09:54 PM
GoFlames

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kotalik Fanboy View Post

You guys are way to fixated on having his cap hit in 10 years. Try thinking about the first 7 years and the fact that our current cap hell does not extend into 2021. Not to mention economic inflation and salary cap expansions will take place during that time period to soften the blow.

Live it up now people, get excited, if only for one night. We have a chance of having one of the best lines in the league for years to come if we get Richards.

And stop worrying about Backlund. The suggestion that having him play on the third line (god forbid he play at his current talent level) will stunt his development is ridiculous.
Totally!

GoFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2011, 09:54 PM
FLAMES666
Retrofit not Rebuild

Quote:

And I think this is the big reason Richards would sign here. He could play with Iggy or Gaborik, pretty easy decision in my opinion.

FLAMES666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2011, 09:56 PM
Oilmageddon*
What are you hearing

I hope your guys land him your team needs a breath of fresh air.

Oilmageddon* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2011, 09:58 PM
Doogee
Cammy!

Quote:

I totally agree.

I don't think the cap hit of Richards will hit as hard, once we have some cap relief over the next few years.

Doogee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2011, 10:08 PM
BeefWellington
Enjoy the Ment.

If you guys get Richards I am getting a Richards jersey for sure. He would look awfully nice between Iginla, and Tanguay.

BeefWellington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2011, 10:10 PM
Backlund

Quote:

I agree except with the Backlund part, he earned the top line spot after his play last year. Playing him on the second line and having him set up Jokinen and Bourque would be much better for him than playing the third line. Someone has to worry about Backlund here.

Old
07-01-2011, 10:14 PM
WhereIsIt
#gift

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backlund View Post
I agree except with the Backlund part, he earned the top line spot after his play last year. Playing him on the second line and having him set up Jokinen and Bourque would be much better for him than playing the third line. Someone has to worry about Backlund here.
He scored at a 40 point per year pace at the end of last year. And that was a small sample size, completely ignoring the time last year when he played himself off the team. That's not a first line center. He's a third liner tops right now.

I know he's the best prospect we've had in a while but we can't just hand him the 1st line center role on a platter and expect him (and subsequently, us) to succeed.

Old
07-01-2011, 10:23 PM
Backlund

Quote:
He scored at a 40 point per year pace at the end of last year. And that was a small sample size, completely ignoring the time last year when he played himself off the team. That's not a first line center. He's a third liner tops right now.

I know he's the best prospect we've had in a while but we can't just hand him the 1st line center role on a platter and expect him (and subsequently, us) to succeed.
True but the way he played towards the end of last year and in the WC, he looked like a real top 6 center. We will have to wait to see how he can do next season but IMO he should not be playing in the bottom 6 unless he is playing really bad.

Old
07-01-2011, 10:26 PM
WhereIsIt
#gift

I guess we'll agree to disagree. I just think the idea of playing a guy at the level you wish for him to be at one day as opposed to letting him excel at the level he is currently at is completely backwards and, as we like to here, "stunting his development".

Old
07-01-2011, 10:30 PM
StreakingRed
**Rebuild Ahead**

Come on, get it done Feaster.

Iginla has done a lot for this team and deserves this birthday gift.

StreakingRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2011, 10:33 PM
FLAMES666
Retrofit not Rebuild

Quote:
Originally Posted by StreakingRed View Post
Come on, get it done Feaster.

Iginla has done a lot for this team and deserves this birthday gift.
Ya i hope Iginla mentioned this in his pitch to Richards

Old
07-01-2011, 10:34 PM
FLAMES666
Retrofit not Rebuild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backlund View Post
True but the way he played towards the end of last year and in the WC, he looked like a real top 6 center. We will have to wait to see how he can do next season but IMO he should not be playing in the bottom 6 unless he is playing really bad.
Backlund definitely stepped up near then of the last season but honestly are 2nd and 3rd line get about equal minutes, I have no problem with him on the 3rd line if he is on the 2nd PP unit.

Old
07-01-2011, 10:34 PM
WhereIsIt
#gift

Does anyone know how I can contact Richards? hahaha. I really want this guy.

Old
07-01-2011, 10:37 PM
GoFlames

Quote:
Does anyone know how I can contact Richards? hahaha. I really want this guy.
Try stalking maybe...

GoFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2011, 10:40 PM
FLAMES666
Retrofit not Rebuild

Live phone conference with Richards on Sportsnet he said:
it's down to 4 teams. He'll make his decision Saturday morning (SHOULD be public by early afternoon at the latest).