HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jagr's Agent Contacts Rangers (Signs with Philly | 1 yr @ $3.3MM)

Old
07-01-2011, 07:48 PM
NorthlandPro

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
theres need to spin that? Jagr imho was the best signing today by a mile.
Are you serious? Its 2011 not 2001. If he still has the attitude amount who he plays with and how many minutes he plays Philly will be wishing for Richards and Carter back. Jagr is a shadow of his former self. The game is so much more faster and his last year with us showed how much he had slowed down.

NorthlandPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2011, 07:49 PM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by haohmaru View Post
Jagr did what he always does - whatever the league, he signs with the highest bidder. Hard to believe that matters, at this point, considering how much loot the guy has made but it's his life.
Point taken but he spends like a mofo too.

hpNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2011, 07:59 PM
skymachine

Even though its with the Flyers, I'm excited to see Jagr back in the NHL.

skymachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2011, 08:08 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthlandPro View Post
Are you serious? Its 2011 not 2001. If he still has the attitude amount who he plays with and how many minutes he plays Philly will be wishing for Richards and Carter back. Jagr is a shadow of his former self. The game is so much more faster and his last year with us showed how much he had slowed down.
his last year with us he scored 71 points, thats almost 20 more than our highest scorer this past season. his production in the KHL has been consistent. he's going to score 60+ points playing for that team, book it.

Inferno is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2011, 09:09 PM
RangerFan10

Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
theres need to spin that? Jagr imho was the best signing today by a mile.
Tyler Kennedy was a better signing. I bet Ryder finishes the year with similar numbers to Jagr, too. The rest? Well, it's not as if there was much competition.

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2011, 09:13 PM
RangerFan10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vito Andolini View Post
Jagr's high-end is probably in right in Gaborik's range. 39 is not that old...

3.3M is a good deal for the flyers.

How many 39 year old forwards you see playing a key roll on teams? I'll even give you a leg up and say that Mark Recchi was good last season at forty something. Who else ya got? You gonna go back to when the Pens won the cup and say it was thanks to Guerin? Tell me that Tavares is gonna be a star one day because Doug Weight played 4 minutes a night til he got hurt? C'mon, who else is that old in the NHL where you can say "39 is not that old"

Jagr's high end is in Gaboriks range, lol, Gaborik's range is usually a point per game, you really think Jagr's high end is that? Did I miss something? Did Gretzky come out of retirement to play on his line?

Old
07-01-2011, 09:16 PM
RangerFan10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinehead View Post
As I recall, Pittsburgh withdrew their offer and the Rangers failed to make one. It's their fault. Jagr had every right to sign with the Flyers.
Of course Jagr had a right to sign with the Flyers, just like everyone else has a right to state the fact that Jagr is a sellout.

Detroit and Pittsburgh withdrew their offers because they weren't gonna get dicked around by a 39 year old that's been out of the league for 3 years so he could dictate contract terms and get an extra mil or two.

If coming back wasn't about the money, he would've signed with Pittsburgh before free agency even started. Period.

Old
07-01-2011, 09:25 PM
bettercallstaal
SAMCRO

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerFan10 View Post

How many 39 year old forwards you see playing a key roll on teams? I'll even give you a leg up and say that Mark Recchi was good last season at forty something. Who else ya got? You gonna go back to when the Pens won the cup and say it was thanks to Guerin? Tell me that Tavares is gonna be a star one day because Doug Weight played 4 minutes a night til he got hurt? C'mon, who else is that old in the NHL where you can say "39 is not that old"

Jagr's high end is in Gaboriks range, lol, Gaborik's range is usually a point per game, you really think Jagr's high end is that? Did I miss something? Did Gretzky come out of retirement to play on his line?
I agree. At this point in Jagr's career I can't see him scoring more than 20 goals. You could probably pencil him in for about 20-25-45. Age catches up with everyone at some point.

bettercallstaal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2011, 09:41 PM
NikC

listening to philly sports media making Jagr out to be a wise mentor for all the young talent the flyers have

"He's good for a couple of dozen goals" was the quote.

The Flyers ditch Richards and Carter for "lack of effort", in a Laviolette system with Pronger and sign the king of indifference in Jagr. Granted it's no risk with a one year deal, but i don't see how JJ fits in.

At 39, 3 yrs removed from the NHL, can he deal with the speed, physicality, and defense?

I say he winds up playing 60-65g with 14-17g/38-45p.

The Flyers Frankenstein team is really shaping up!

NikC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2011, 09:52 PM
Vito Andolini

Quote:

Wasn't more than 10 years ago that we saw it with our very own eyes...Mark Messier, 39 yrs old, 67 points.

Mark Recchi - 40 yrs old - 61 points...and still a good player as a 43 yr old.

Bourque - still effective and putting up points into his 40's.

Now of course none of this guarantee's him a great season, but the way you people write him off is just asking to be caught by surprise.

The man looked good in the two recent tournaments that we saw him in, in the Olympics & World Championships. He averaged more points last season in the KHL, then he did in his first. If he's coming back to the NHL, I got to figure it's for more of a reason than just 3.3M, which he could probably get from the KHL. A motivated Jagr is a very dangerous player. More so than our little delicate flower Gaborik.

$3.3M is a bargain for what they are getting, especially with their situation.

Vito Andolini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2011, 10:17 PM
gotmonte

Quote:
lol Jagr, a real leader for who? His czech buddies? This is a negotiation ploy, he's not leaving the KHL.
Egg on face?

gotmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2011, 10:24 PM
TarredandFeathered*

Let me get this straight... this thread began with numerous Ranger fans posting in support of Jagr coming back to New York, and dispelling any notions of him being a bad role model during his stint there. Several posters even went as far as to say he was a 'great leader, no matter how much baggage he has from his days with the Pens, Caps...

But now that he chooses to sign with the Flyers, you make him out to be the worst and most greedy player in the entire NHL. Ridiculous. He signed for a 3.3 million, 1 year deal (which in case you did not notice, is pretty good value, considering players like Fleischmann, Kopecky etc) signed for 4.5 million and 3 million respectively) as well as a player like Leino, who has only had one good playoff and one decent regular season, was signed to 4.5 for six years. I'll gladly refresh this thread in April when Jagr has 60+ points and has more points than 3 quarters of your roster.

TarredandFeathered* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2011, 10:28 PM
RangerFan10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vito Andolini View Post
Wasn't more than 10 years ago that we saw it with our very own eyes...Mark Messier, 39 yrs old, 67 points.

Mark Recchi - 40 yrs old - 61 points...and still a good player as a 43 yr old.

Bourque - still effective and putting up points into his 40's.

Now of course none of this guarantee's him a great season, but the way you people write him off is just asking to be caught by surprise.

The man looked good in the two recent tournaments that we saw him in, in the Olympics & World Championships. He averaged more points last season in the KHL, then he did in his first. If he's coming back to the NHL, I got to figure it's for more of a reason than just 3.3M, which he could probably get from the KHL. A motivated Jagr is a very dangerous player. More so than our little delicate flower Gaborik.

$3.3M is a bargain for what they are getting, especially with their situation.
I already said Recchi. He is the exception, not the rule. He does not play the puck control game Jagr plays. You had to go almost 10 years back, well before the lockout, to list Mark Messier. 67 points, and also a team worst -25, lol. The next two years after that Messier had 40 and 43 points. This is a player that never left Russia to skate with a bunch of ballerinas for 3 years either, so I'm guessing his conditioning never fell below NHL standards. Seriously, get a grip man.

Sure, Jagr is dangerous when he is motivated. So maybe he'll put up some points in the playoffs if the Flyers get there, maybe he'll show up for 50 games or so, that doesn't mean he's sniffing Gaborik's point total or is a better bet if Gaborik stays healthy. And one thing is for sure, I can count on Gaborik backchecking and not being a liability on the ice every night, 99 times out of 100. I can't come close to saying the same for Jagr. Nights that Gaborik is off his game, he rarely hurts the team. Nights that Jagr is off? His +/- takes a hit. I understand that Jagr would've improved certain areas of this team. I just don't understand people that don't recognize how he would've hurt other areas. I also don't understand the people that are so sure he is going to produce. Could I be wrong? Absolutely. Jagr's a guy that has produced in this league, and is one of the best players of all-time. But I don't see how people can believe the odds aren't against him getting about 50-60 points in this league after he was barely a point per game player in Russia.

Old
07-01-2011, 10:29 PM
RangerFan10

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotmonte View Post
Egg on face?
You can't tell me that if he didn't get the money he wanted he wasn't headed back to the KHL.

Old
07-01-2011, 11:02 PM
Vito Andolini

Quote:
I already said Recchi. He is the exception, not the rule. He does not play the puck control game Jagr plays. You had to go almost 10 years back, well before the lockout, to list Mark Messier. 67 points, and also a team worst -25, lol. The next two years after that Messier had 40 and 43 points. This is a player that never left Russia to skate with a bunch of ballerinas for 3 years either, so I'm guessing his conditioning never fell below NHL standards. Seriously, get a grip man.
Yes, Recchi's the exception...just like Jagr's talent is the exception. It's undeniable. You ask me to name players that are playing a key spot at age 39? I ask you to name players that have Jagr's talent level that have still played at age 39.

Jagr's game is built to age well and I think it will. His shot hasn't disappeared. His big frame and balance hasn't gone anywhere. His intelligence and playmaking skills will still be there. Sure, maybe his hands won't be what they once were, but there's still plenty there to make him a very dangerous player.

Quote:
Sure, Jagr is dangerous when he is motivated. So maybe he'll put up some points in the playoffs if the Flyers get there, maybe he'll show up for 50 games or so, that doesn't mean he's sniffing Gaborik's point total or is a better bet if Gaborik stays healthy. And one thing is for sure, I can count on Gaborik backchecking and not being a liability on the ice every night, 99 times out of 100.
If Gaborik stays healthy? Good luck with that one. Jagr may only show up for 50, but Gaborik isn't likely to show up for many more. Played 62 or less games in 3 of his last 5 years.

And Gaborik backchecks? Get a grip yourself, man.

Vito Andolini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2011, 11:08 PM
czechmate25

[QUOTE]Deeper, maybe. Better defensively, no way. Briere and Giroux as our #1 and #2 is a big big drop off in defense from Carter and Richards. I guess you're right though, a lot likely hinges on the performance of Schenn and Jagr.QUOTE]

Giroux is going to blossom into a superstar this season. If the rumors are true about Philly also picking up Gagne, the first line of Gagne - Giroux - Jagr will most definitely get it done.

I agree with Inferno that Jagr is good for 60+ points this year....I see 25 goals and 40+ assists on that team.

Looking at their lineup, it's pretty sporty. Last year, I thought they were an elite goaltender away from being the clear favorite. They shipped Richards and Carter (two guys who are now rumored to have divided the locker room and dissed the team by refusing to wear team appearal in their interviews b/c of their own clothing line), Versteeg and Leino and replaced those guys with Jagr, Voracek (who I believe will have a breakout season due to being removed from the defensive strangle hold and sub par line mates in CBJ and with playing with his idol), depth with Simmonds and Schenn (who is pegged to be a Mike Richards type player in a few years), got a boat load of quality picks, which will set them up for the long term, and are rumored to be landing Gagne......oh, they also signed one of the best goaltenders in the biz. They got better and younger.....which is why I think they were the true winners so far this off season.

czechmate25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2011, 11:15 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 145
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TarredandFeathered View Post
Let me get this straight... this thread began with numerous Ranger fans posting in support of Jagr coming back to New York, and dispelling any notions of him being a bad role model during his stint there. Several posters even went as far as to say he was a 'great leader, no matter how much baggage he has from his days with the Pens, Caps...

But now that he chooses to sign with the Flyers, you make him out to be the worst and most greedy player in the entire NHL. Ridiculous. He signed for a 3.3 million, 1 year deal (which in case you did not notice, is pretty good value, considering players like Fleischmann, Kopecky etc) signed for 4.5 million and 3 million respectively) as well as a player like Leino, who has only had one good playoff and one decent regular season, was signed to 4.5 for six years. I'll gladly refresh this thread in April when Jagr has 60+ points and has more points than 3 quarters of your roster.
We have hundreds of users posting here. Would you care to direct me to posts indicating a particular user changing their positions as you described? There are people that supported the idea of bringing him back, and love him, and their are others that were opposed to the idea and not too hot on him. Ya know, different viewpoints... Don't lump everyone together as some generic mass that has changed its mind after being spurned.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 12:01 AM
Kane One
HFB Partner

vCash: 800
The Penguins just got Cliff Lee'd.

07-02-2011, 12:10 AM
DelZottoHitTheNetJK

Gonna be so weird to see Jagr in a Flyers uni that's for sure. Glad we didn't sign him honestly.. dude's been on the decline since his last season here. Can't imagine him being close to worth that $3.3M deal he got 3 years removed from the NHL at 39.

DelZottoHitTheNetJK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 12:57 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaneone View Post
The Penguins just got Cliff Lee'd.
ugh...u had to say it....i was just thinking thats what was going to happen to us when/if Brad Richards signs elsewhere.

Inferno is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 01:37 AM
Whoot Whoot
Biased-NYR-Homer

I will cheer for Jagr when I see him. Classy guy

Whoot Whoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 02:22 AM
92hatchattack

I dont get you guys. Why should Jagr be loyal to us?We walked away from him. He wanted to get paid, but instead we paid redden, drury, and gomez. We should have paid Jagr then and we should have paid him now. Watch him haunt us this year.

I hate the Flyers with all of my heart but im Rooting for Jags... love the guy.

92hatchattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 07:02 AM
chosen

Amazing that some fans still live in the dark ages where players were bound to teams.

Wake up. Free agency came to be so that players could make the best monetary deals for themselves.

When they do just that, some fans cry, unless of course the player signs with a team that they root for.

Wondering how many fans here upset with Jagr for going for cash are Yankees fans, because that would be the height of hypocrisy.

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 07:15 AM
eco's bones

I agree that Jagr may have been the most significant pickup by any team yesterday. I think he's fully capable of making an impact. I don't expect he's got any faster since he went to the KHL but when he was with us he was relying on his smarts, stick skills, brute strength and ability to control the puck and I don't think any of that has changed. He did very well with us on the smaller NHL rinks and then he did very well on the larger European ones. So I expect he'll be able to adjust again.

Anyway I wish he hadn't signed with the Flyers--of all teams--but that's the way the puck bounces. He became a favorite player for me when he was a Rangers so I can't wish him bad luck but I can wish his team bad luck. I'll go with that.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 07:17 AM
eco's bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by chosen View Post
Amazing that some fans still live in the dark ages where players were bound to teams.

Wake up. Free agency came to be so that players could make the best monetary deals for themselves.

When they do just that, some fans cry, unless of course the player signs with a team that they root for.

Wondering how many fans here upset with Jagr for going for cash are Yankees fans, because that would be the height of hypocrisy.
They're dark ages now--but that was only pre-Bettman. But I agree with what you're saying anyway.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote