HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Leino signs with Buffalo, 6 years $27M

Old
07-01-2011, 09:33 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by BloFan4Life View Post
Not that he was the center position but he acted like the center in the offensive zone. I watched the vid and this is what he said. "In Philly's system he was the guy down low in the Hartnell-Briere line. Ville strength is hanging on to puck and that fits our system with the D an joining the rush. Buys the extra seconds and has very good sideways movement. Gets in paint to score dirty goals."
Not really. Briere mostly played center. Maybe every now and then Leino would do that, but it wasn't anywhere close to being the norm. He was most noticeable on the wing dishing passes.

07-01-2011, 09:35 PM
FlyingHigh
save us flyer jesus!

vCash: 500
hopefully that one playoff run was a fluke for Ville. Lindy should put him at center, they need one and he could pull it off, that is until someone jacks his bum hip.

See ya in the playoffs Mr. Leino.

FlyingHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2011, 10:09 PM
FlyerX

Quote:
Be honest here, did you guys see enough last season that would make you comfortable with him at center?? I hate the signing because I think he isn't an NHL caliber center. In the press conference Lindy was talking how on the Briere line in the offensive zone, he played like the center on that line. I don't know what to think. If he can play center and put in 60 points then it may turn into a good signing. If we are forced to move him back to wing then it is stupid. So, tell me the truth, did you guys see ANYTHING that made you think that he could control the center of the ice for the rest of his career?? Thanks.
Leino's been playing a lot of center in the D-zone because Briere is never the first man back. He did essentially what Hecht did for Briere when he was still in BUF. Leino was a center in Europe and was an MVP. It's a gutsy move. He's a clear upgrade over Connolly. It's what free agency is all about. You're a better team now than you were yesterday.

FlyerX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2011, 11:21 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

I think people will be surprised how well Leino will do in Buffalo under Ruff and the system they have. Leino is an extremely creative player and requires a system that allows him to freelance....Lavy wasn't that type of coach and hence why they butted heads. Buffalo is a good fit for Leino and he'll be productive for them and a thorn in our side when we play them. Bank on it....

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2011, 11:41 PM
flountown

Leino has always been a playoff guy. Before his Finnish MVP, he had MVP type playoffs, but people always wondered if his regular seasons could match up.

I really think when we look back that Leino will be an anomaly when it comes to evaluating PPG numbers between season and playoffs. As it stands right now, most people we think of as 'clutch' actually have extremely similar season/playoff performances in terms of PPG production.

flountown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2011, 11:59 PM
PhilaFlyers

vCash: 300
Baaaaad contract for Buffalo.

PhilaFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 01:02 AM
Gibbs18

Quote:
Not that he was the center position but he acted like the center in the offensive zone. I watched the vid and this is what he said. "In Philly's system he was the guy down low in the Hartnell-Briere line. Ville strength is hanging on to puck and that fits our system with the D an joining the rush. Buys the extra seconds and has very good sideways movement. Gets in paint to score dirty goals."
He and Hartnell usually take duties in front of the net.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Djbsx...eature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dL6Hj...eature=related

Im gonna miss the spin-o-ramas form Leino.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vxvn8...eature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5bVd-ofvIY

And im sure you remember this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STArVP26vco

I remember biting my nails watching that game and ****ing jumped out of my seat screaming hahahahaha

Gibbs18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 06:36 AM
Doyle

Q: At what point did you bow out on Leino and decide it was going to be too expensive?

“Well, just over the course of time [unintelligible] on a lot of these guys that we had down in terms of wingers. I don’t need to really mention any names, but you look at the guys that are signed, we felt all along that it was going to be higher than we really wanted to go. In terms of Ville, I spent a lot of time talking to Ville’s agent yesterday and quite a bit of time talking to him this morning. I think the sense for us was that Ville was going to get multiple opportunities to get a lot more than we were prepared to offer him. So I guess it went up to probably 11:45, when it got to that point, he was going to take a look. Bill Vito did make a call back to me and told me kind of where it was at some point later on. I think Ville had a lot of offers in that range, maybe even some higher than that. I think Ville was really good for us, and we wish him all the best. I’m happy for him.”

http://nhlhotstove.com/holmgren-spea...gs-and-trades/

Doyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2011, 10:43 PM
BloFan4Life

The more I watch his highlights, the more I see the potential Lindy was talking about. He likes to cut across the ice a lot and wait for team mate to set up for him to pass. Kinda like this... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-KXrkVoIIA

He definitely likes to roam in front of the net and get the chip in's like the other poster linked to.

IDK, this may just work out.

BloFan4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2011, 05:16 PM
mirimon

Quote:
That line was strange because there really wasn't anyone playing center. Hartnell and Leino were taking a lot of the defensive responsibilities from Brière however, I wouldn't exactly call Leino a stellar defensive player though. Congrats to him for his payday, but I believe you will regret this signing.

mirimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2011, 11:46 PM
Montag DP
Sabres fan in...

Taking the contract out of the equation for a minute, because I agree it's a bit steep ('tis the nature of free agency, though), what do Flyer fans think about his potential as a #2 center? Keep in mind Buffalo's probably going to be rolling 3 scoring lines next season, so we don't exactly need an offensive dynamo in Leino. I think we'd like him to be defensively responsible, able to create space in the neutral zone, and good on the forecheck. Do you think Leino could fit the bill? Or, at least, he's gotta be an upgrade over Connolly, right? (Connolly had roughly the same cap hit last year, too.)

Montag DP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 12:02 AM
BrindamoursNose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montag DP View Post
Taking the contract out of the equation for a minute, because I agree it's a bit steep ('tis the nature of free agency, though), what do Flyer fans think about his potential as a #2 center? Keep in mind Buffalo's probably going to be rolling 3 scoring lines next season, so we don't exactly need an offensive dynamo in Leino. I think we'd like him to be defensively responsible, able to create space in the neutral zone, and good on the forecheck. Do you think Leino could fit the bill? Or, at least, he's gotta be an upgrade over Connolly, right? (Connolly had roughly the same cap hit last year, too.)
Well, can't tell you the last time he was a center. Never for this team, at least. I wouldn't even bother him about moving around. I can see him as a real primadonna with that kind of thing.

BrindamoursNose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 12:04 AM
BloFan4Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrindamoursNose View Post
Well, can't tell you the last time he was a center. Never for this team, at least. I wouldn't even bother him about moving around. I can see him as a real primadonna with that kind of thing.
According to Leino himself, he played center till he was 23 and is more comfortable there.

BloFan4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 07:15 AM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyers View Post
Baaaaad contract for Buffalo.
Should have overpaid Briere instead when they had the chance.

I'll gladly take Briere at $6.5m per season over Leino at $4.5m per season.

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 08:00 AM
MsWoof

It is going to be a very interesting season. I don't know how the Sabres can justify paying him what they did, especially cause it's pretty much based on his playoff run in 2010.

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 08:03 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5792
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLHockeyKnight View Post
Should have overpaid Briere instead when they had the chance.

I'll gladly take Briere at $6.5m per season over Leino at $4.5m per season.
If Pegula was the owner, they surely would have.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 09:46 AM
Montag DP
Sabres fan in...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
If Pegula was the owner, they surely would have.
If Pegula was the owner, they would have re-signed him to a more reasonable contract before July 1. Actually, they probably would have extended him the year before instead of letting him go to arbitration.

Montag DP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 10:11 AM
IrishSniper87

Holy overpayment, Batman!

IrishSniper87 is offline   Reply With Quote