HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

[WSH] Roman Hamrlik to Washington (2 yrs, $3.5M per)

Old
07-01-2011, 10:16 PM
WhiskeySeven
Give her the Defence

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
They were probably impressed by him when the Habs eliminated the Caps two years ago.
He was beyond terrible that series, wtf are you talking about.

Caps fans: you're going to hate him. He's slow, he is strictly non-physical and refuses to clear the crease. Only good at positioning himself, can't do anything else at a playoff-team level.

You'll hate him.

WhiskeySeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2011, 10:23 PM
Valhuen
Fire McPhee

Always liked Hammer, will be good to see him rock the red this season. As others have stated, a solid #3/4 d-man that can eat up twenty minutes a game, not too bad. Caps D is looking good right now, move Schultz and I will be a happy man......

Valhuen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2011, 10:30 PM
um

hmmmm montreal fans arent to high on him, then again neither were canuck fans on bieska

um is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2011, 10:35 PM
Hawkguy
Hockey's Back!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by um View Post
hmmmm montreal fans arent to high on him, then again neither were canuck fans on bieska
Read the threads before the end of the year. He was awesome. Without him in the last two seasons, MTL would of been picking in the top-5 - seriously. He played as our #1 defenseman for two straight years after injuries to Markov. He's so stable and consistent.

Hawkguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2011, 10:38 PM
Seabound117

Quote:
Originally Posted by natey2k4 View Post
Read the threads before the end of the year. He was awesome. Without him in the last two seasons, MTL would of been picking in the top-5 - seriously. He played as our #1 defenseman for two straight years after injuries to Markov. He's so stable and consistent.

To be fair your #1 D-Man core is Gill and Subban with Georges as a close 3rd, Hamrlik may have contributed but as far as I'm concerned the Caps just got jobbed again.

Seabound117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2011, 10:46 PM
Andy

Guys don't listen to most habs fans about Hamrlik. The man is a scapegoat for no reason and was by far the most underrated player in the 4 years he played for the habs.

He has always been used to cover up for his partners mistakes in the 4 years in Montreal. He defensive IQ is through the roof. His mobility and footspeed have diminished, but his hockeyIQ is still high as well as his positioning.

He's still a top 4 defensemen and can give you 20-22 solid minutes a night. He was the reason we were able to shoulder the burden left by Markov's injuries. He also changed the dynamics of Montreal's defense the day we signed him.

You'll see, he's not bad at all and still has a few good years left in him. I don't think caps fans realize how much better he just made your defense.

Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2011, 10:47 PM
Valhuen
Fire McPhee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabound117 View Post
To be fair your #1 D-Man core is Gill and Subban with Georges as a close 3rd, Hamrlik may have contributed but as far as I'm concerned the Caps just got jobbed again.
Would you prefer Schultz over Hammer? I know which way I am leaning, I think Hammer will be fine on the second, or even third d-line. My only concern is that BB will overplay him....

Valhuen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2011, 10:53 PM
Stjonnypopo
Rgesitreed Uesr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valhuen View Post
Would you prefer Schultz over Hammer? I know which way I am leaning, I think Hammer will be fine on the second, or even third d-line. My only concern is that BB will overplay him....
The last two seasons when Markov went down Hamrlik had to step up and play 25 minutes a night and I think he did fine. He's not a #1 or #2 defenceman anymore but he's definitely a second pairing D and he's solid. He doesn't lay big hits but he's not scared to go into the boards with the big guys and he's a really smart player.

Gill, as an example, is slow as molasses, but he uses his positioning to make up for it. Hamrlik is the same way, at a lesser extent because he's not nearly as slow as Gill.

If we managed to get rid of Spacek I wouldn't have minded giving Hamrlik another year or two. Maybe not at 3.5, but definitely at 3.

Stjonnypopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2011, 10:57 PM
IafrateOvie34

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeySeven View Post
He was beyond terrible that series, wtf are you talking about.

Caps fans: you're going to hate him. He's slow, he is strictly non-physical and refuses to clear the crease. Only good at positioning himself, can't do anything else at a playoff-team level.

You'll hate him.
Sadly we're used to non-physical, no clear creasing defensemen . At least since Tinordi retired.

IafrateOvie34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2011, 11:17 PM
MarkovsKnee

Quote:
Gill & Subban only became the #1 pairing around the All-Star break. Prior to that it was Hammer & Spacek, but Spacek proved he couldn't do it anymore and quickly fell into the 3rd pairing. When Wizniewski - who is not good defensively - became a Hab he was paired with Hammer. They became our 2nd pairing because Subban had a much, much better 2nd half of the season. It really didn't have anything to do with what Hammer was doing wrong, it was a case of Subban just growing and becoming a legit #1 for us.

Hammer is slow, yes, but he knows that himself. He knows how to work the angles, he knows how to use his stick, he knows how to play positionally. Hammer was always the guy we used to settle a d-man down who was struggling.

At this stage of his career, he is no longer a top pairing d-man, but he may be the perfect, second pairing #4 d-man. He will help Mike Green.

I really don't think it's a bad signing for you guys.

MarkovsKnee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2011, 11:26 PM
Madam Kadri
Fight, Troll, Score

Hamrlik will be a competent D as long as he doesn't go over 20 minutes too often. He will help his pairing function more smoothly, as he did with Wisniewski and Phaneuf. So, Mike Green might look better for you Caps fans next season if Hammer is his partner.

Madam Kadri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2011, 11:44 PM
sergejean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blame it on PK View Post
Hamrlik will be a competent D as long as he doesn't go over 20 minutes too often. He will help his pairing function more smoothly, as he did with Wisniewski and Phaneuf. So, Mike Green might look better for you Caps fans next season if Hammer is his partner.
I agree with this post. Of course 2 years could be one year too much and it would have been preferable to pay him 5M instead of 7M but overall Hammer is a solid player and WSH did a good job signing him.

sergejean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 12:13 AM
The Instigator
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 900
Anyone who doesn't like this is crazy. Everyone remember when Phaneuf was really good? It was becaus of Hammer. I think he'll help Green ALOT.

The Instigator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 01:35 AM
Tavaresmagicalplay*

I'm not even going to read this thread. If you don't like this signing you're an idiot. If you think it's an overpayment you're an idiot. That's all.

Tavaresmagicalplay* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 02:10 AM
Russian Warrior
SWAG

Hammer is great. He's slowing down, not as good offensively anymore, but he's a horse defensively.

Russian Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 05:38 AM
swimmer77
What's an ROW?

Quote:
When Markov went down early during the 2009 - 2010 Hamrlik held the D together virtually by himself. Subban was in the AHL and Gill was also injured during that stretch. Hamrlik was a rock. Even when Markov came back coach still leaned heavily on Hammer. He had a couple of bad playoff games against your team but then was a rock again against Pittsburgh.

And again early in the first half of 2010 - 2011 Hamrlik and Spacek played the shutdown role. Only when Spacek was injured and Subban blossomed did Gill and Subban become the first pairing. Hamrlik babysat Wisniewski.

Very much under appreciated in Montreal. His game is very subtle and he can turn a blocked shot or defensive play into an offensive opportunity. The "old and slow" guy as he's been affectionately called was responsible for breaking the Habs scoring drought on just that kind of transitional play.

He does a lot of things well and he may be just what you need for a young D core. Will miss Hammer in Montreal and wish he could have finished his career there. Glad he got what he wanted and good luck to him and the Caps.

swimmer77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 07:56 AM
Corncob

Quote:
Gill and Subban were the shut down pairing in the last half of the year. Before that, Subban was benched for several games, Gorges was injured most of the season and Hamrlik was very much playing the number one minutes. As he did the season before. He's too old for that and it showed towards the end of both the last two seasons, but Montreal arguably don't make the playoffs for the last two years without his contribution.

If he doesn't get lumbered with playing number one minutes in the next two seasons, he can do a very very solid job.

Corncob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 07:58 AM
Drake1588
UNATCO

The criticisms are fair enough, but in DC he's only going to need to be the #5, and fill in higher up the chain only when there are injuries. I think he can still do that just fine. He might be an ideal player to pair with Green at even strength, but he will generally slot behind Alzner, Carlson, Green, Wideman and if healthy, Poti (although everyone expects that Poti is all but done and headed for LTIR). I wouldn't want to bring him on expecting him to shoulder #1 minutes; if that ends up happening, then there is a wider injury issue in DC and a lost year anyway.

Drake1588 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 08:52 AM
le_sean

Quote:
Don't listen to that guy, he just has a mad crush on him.

Hamrlik was amazing the first two seasons the Habs had him. Then his play started trending downwards. That has a lot to do with the fact he was 36/37 and asked to play 25 mins a game because of the Markov injury.

The end of this past season was the worst hockey I had ever seen him play. He's now really slow. Now, that might not be too big of a problem if a defenceman adjusts, but he still seems to think he's a strong two-way player. He tries to pinch at times and screws up, yet has 0 speed to try and recover. He's not strong on guys in front of the net and he has a poor shot.

Maybe he'd be decent with Green. He would know to stay back and not try anything, which is when he's at his best. I assume Carlson and Alzner will be playing the big mins, therefore Hamrlik won't have to play the mins he did in Montreal. That should make him quite effective.

le_sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 09:00 AM
billy piton

good bye hammer and thank you for everything!

billy piton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 09:16 AM
Theosis
11, 27, 31, 67, 76 ♥

vCash: 50
As long as he won't be eating up first pairing minutes like he did for very long stretches in Montreal in the past 2 years, the guy will be a great addition to the Caps. He's very reliable defensively.

I never understood the hate for him in Montreal. He was great when Markov went down, he stepped up big time.

Theosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 09:46 AM
HH
GO HABS GO!

Funny everyone besides Habs fans saying it's bad. We've seen him for 4 years and he's been great. Good signing Caps.

HH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 09:48 AM
Click Here
You know you want to

Hopefully Hammer brings his shot-blocking prowess to DC and we can stop watching Green take pucks off his melon.

Click Here is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 09:49 AM
Tuggy

I think this is a good signing for the Caps. Hamrlik is still a steady player but his mobility is definitely an issue at this point.

Tuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 11:19 AM
benji
Took too much, man.

Send a message via MSN to benji
Pretty cool stats: At the end of this contract, Hamrlik should only be half a season's games worth away from 1500 NHL games played, something only 13 other played have done. The list is pretty elite, it'll be interesting to see if he can join them.

benji is offline   Reply With Quote