HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers Re-sign Ruslan Fedotenko (1 year, $1.4M)

Old
07-01-2011, 11:46 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WojtekGoalski View Post
Such a redundant signing. Feds although I like him doesn't bring anything to the table at his age that a Whale guy doesn't do and for twice the price. He's obviously one of Tort's boys but I just don't see what the point of this is. I understand depth is good but we're already up to our eyes in 3rd and 4th liners including the Whale guys. Are there any more borderline 3rd liners for us to sign? ****.
Except you mean, do it at the NHL level?

Feds was a great bottom 6 guy here last year and i'd rather him have a contract and a spot instead of praying Carl Hagelin doesn't flounder at the NHL level.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2011, 11:57 PM
DelZottoHitTheNetJK

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
Except you mean, do it at the NHL level?

Feds was a great bottom 6 guy here last year and i'd rather him have a contract and a spot instead of praying Carl Hagelin doesn't flounder at the NHL level.
That's right I forgot, Hagelin would be getting top 6 minutes and play the PP. We're talking 3rd/4th line minutes here under a Torts coached team. Regardless of this, I'm 100% confident that whoever they brought up from the Whale would fit the role fine because it happened all season last year (see Newbury) and the guy would have straight out won the spot out of camp and would be paid less to boot. This is a "Tort's is my boy" signing and nothing else. Feds is redundant on this team with both the guys already on the roster and the guys in the system.

DelZottoHitTheNetJK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 12:14 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 145
Awards:
Quote:
That's right I forgot, Hagelin would be getting top 6 minutes and play the PP. We're talking 3rd/4th line minutes here under a Torts coached team. Regardless of this, I'm 100% confident that whoever they brought up from the Whale would fit the role fine because it happened all season last year (see Newbury) and the guy would have straight out won the spot out of camp and would be paid less to boot. This is a "Tort's is my boy" signing and nothing else. Feds is redundant on this team with both the guys already on the roster and the guys in the system.
Newbury had 1 point in 11 games, and isn't half the penalty killer that Feds is. Who else is gonna come up and score 30 points, provide a tenacious forecheck and tremendous penalty killing? Brodie Dupont? Kolarik? The excpetionally mediocre Dale Weise?

As far as winning the spot out of camp, well, that's what Fedotenko did last year. Won the spot, and won a contract. You can say that it's just because he's Torts' boy, but he absolutely earned that spot in camp and preseason last year where he looked tremendous. No one could beat him out last year, but suddenly the same guys are 100% going to beat him out? Sure...

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 12:20 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

Rupp and Feds have to be used as depth players otherwise im not sure why they need both.

Rupp fills a need for a guy who can fight, spell Prust, and pot a few goals on dirty, big line. (4th)

Feds is more of a peripheral guy that can do a lot of things, but also plays on that same type of line. (4th) Its nice to have both of them on the roster, and while i love Feds, im surprised they arent leaving more spots open to give the Hagelins and Thomas's a shot at cracking the lineup.

There seems to be a lot of 3rd-4th line guys piling up now though. I know Torts LOVES Fedotenko - and I really liked what he brought to the team last year as well. Happy he is resigned but kinda puzzled what the exact direction is with these two deals.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 12:21 AM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

I have no problem with Feds and Avery alternating time on the 3rd line with Steps and whoever.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 12:23 AM
RangerFan10

Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerEsq View Post
And now Hagelin has no spot unless someone else messes up
oh nooooooo

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 12:24 AM
Punxrocknyc19*

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
Rupp and Feds have to be used as depth players otherwise im not sure why they need both.

Rupp fills a need for a guy who can fight, spell Prust, and pot a few goals on dirty, big line. (4th)

Feds is more of a peripheral guy that can do a lot of things, but also plays on that same type of line. (4th) Its nice to have both of them on the roster, and while i love Feds, im surprised they arent leaving more spots open to give the Hagelins and Thomas's a shot at cracking the lineup.

There seems to be a lot of 3rd-4th line guys piling up now though. I know Torts LOVES Fedotenko - and I really liked what he brought to the team last year as well. Happy he is resigned but kinda puzzled what the exact direction is with these two deals.
i think both players resigned, means end of christensen. remember Rupp can also take faceoffs. he is mainly a winger but is decent enough to rely on the faceoffs. i wouldnt mind rupp as center.

Punxrocknyc19* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 03:03 AM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Regardless of this, I'm 100% confident that whoever they brought up from the Whale would fit the role fine because it happened all season last year (see Newbury) and the guy would have straight out won the spot out of camp and would be paid less to boot.
You can't tell the difference between Fedotenko and Newbury? Here's a hint: one is much, MUCH better than the other one.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 04:05 AM
Puckface NYR*
R.I.P. Boogyman

Quote:
Is this a joke? Did you see Newbury play? Feds was one of my favorite players last year. He did it all and deserves the contract he got. In fact, I'd argue that Feds could have gotten a multi-year deal elsewhere, but seemed like he wanted to stay in NY.

He was also, far and away, our best player in the playoffs, fwiw.

Puckface NYR* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 04:25 AM
Glennsoe
Horndog

good player at a good price...

I'm happy...

Glennsoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 05:42 AM
Khelvan

Send a message via ICQ to Khelvan Send a message via AIM to Khelvan Send a message via MSN to Khelvan
For some reason there is a perception that defensive play can easily be handled by a kid straight out of college/juniors, where scoring needs to come from veterans.

You can't bring a kid up and expect him to contribute on the bottom lines any more than you could expect him to contribute on the top lines.

That is to say, some kids are ready to score when they're young, some are ready to play defense, but it isn't a given either way.

There will be injuries, there will be opportunities, and when camp rolls around, if a player like Fedotenko is beat out by a kid, the kid will play. Until then, this remains a great signing, given what he contributed last season.

Khelvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 06:38 AM
AJRanger

Didn't expect Feds to be back after the Rupp signing, but loved what he did last season so am glad he is. Creates a log-jam though.

AJRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 07:22 AM
turcotte8

Quote:
And now Hagelin has no spot unless someone else messes up
You mean he'd have have to earn a spot? What a travesty.

turcotte8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 07:54 AM
Sticky Fingers
NYR

Quote:
And now Hagelin has no spot unless he earns it
fixed

Sticky Fingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 08:16 AM
Doyle

Rangers Re-Signing Fedotenko Gives Them Two Lines
http://nhlhotstove.com/rangers-re-si...hem-two-lines/

Doyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 08:24 AM
Vitto79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doyle View Post
Rangers Re-Signing Fedotenko Gives Them Two Lines
http://nhlhotstove.com/rangers-re-si...hem-two-lines/
They very well could go that route but the lines are going to get mixed up. I think Sather is waiting for BR today and if he comes in they very well could have a move for a LW

Maybe Booth from FLA? I imagine the Panthers would take back Wolski as they need salary and after that it would take a high pick and good prospect but he may be had.

This also does not rush Hagelin and means Zuccarello may start in CT. Again I think Sather has something up his sleeve

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 08:29 AM
UAGoalieGuy

I also think that this mean the end of Christiansen with the Rangers. He will probably be waived at the end of training camp. Don't really see a trade market for him out there.

UAGoalieGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 09:25 AM
frisland

i havent seen any mention of how this effects avery.
being his contract year i expect him to play better, but i dont mind that both these moves + possibly hagelin/thomas/zucc have avery scratched for 30+ games.

frisland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 09:53 AM
Elvis Presley
Aka #30

I'm very OK with this. Last year when he came to camp I was all 'Please god, no!' but he found a nice warm spot in my heart during the season. Glad to see him back

Elvis Presley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 09:57 AM
Crease

Happy Feds is back. Great guy who brings it every shift. You need depth and you need good character guys. Feds provides both.

Crease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 09:57 AM
MacTruck
In Gordie We Trust

Dubinsky / Richards / Gaborik
Anisimov / Stepan / Callahan
Hagelin / Boyle / Fedotenko
Prust / Rupp / Avery
Zuccarello

Staal / Girardi
McDonagh / Sauer
Erixon / Del Zotto
Valentenko

Lundqvist
Biron

MacTruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 10:07 AM
SouvenirCity

Quote:
Originally Posted by In Gordie We Trust View Post
Dubinsky / Richards / Gaborik
Anisimov / Stepan / Callahan
Hagelin / Boyle / Fedotenko
Prust / Rupp / Avery
Zuccarello

Staal / Girardi
McDonagh / Sauer
Erixon / Del Zotto
Valentenko

Lundqvist
Biron
Dubi - Richards - Gaborik
Wolski - Anisimov - Callahan
Fedotenko - Stepan - Boyle
Avery - Rupp - Prust

EX: Christensen

I'm a firm believer that Hagelin & Zucc need some seasoning in the A. Then when Feds/Avery's contracts are up in 2012, they slide into their roles respectively.

SouvenirCity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 10:17 AM
SERE 24
LGR

So... do we play Fedetenko on the third line? Boyle on the third line? I would have thought we wanted to keep Prust - Boyle - Fedetenko together, but there's no way Rupp can be on our third line. I'm a little unsure now how the lineup is going to shakeout.

Dubinsky - Richards - Gaborik
MZA/Avery - Anisimov - Callahan
Wolski - Stepan - Fedetenko/Boyle
Prust - Rupp - Boyle/Fedetenko

If we get Richards, Christensen probably doesn't dress too many games. I think we will trade for a winger. Where does Avery fit though? The bottom six is packed. Where does MZA fit? Do we manage to move Wolski and put MZA there? No room for any rookies (Thomas/Hagelin) to make the team.

I think we might see one of Anisimov/Stepan (maybe even Dubinsky) packaged with other pieces that don't fit the immediate roster (MDZ? MZA? Prospects) to bring in the scoring winger we're talking about, especially if we land Richards. I'm not sure I like that.

SERE 24 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 10:24 AM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

I really like Feds. Happy with this deal and he's a proven playoff performer.

GWOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 10:38 AM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

[QUOTE=HockeyBasedNYC;34510275]

/QUOTE]

As teams get closer to being contenders they tend to stop giving spots to guys like that. There will be injuries and those guys will get their chance then.

Ogrezilla is offline   Reply With Quote