HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers Re-sign Ruslan Fedotenko (1 year, $1.4M)

Old
07-02-2011, 10:47 AM
we want cup
We do not Sow

vCash: 500
I guess they're preparing for the injury bug again.

RANGERS =
we want cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 11:42 AM
DelZottoHitTheNetJK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emma Royd View Post
Newbury had 1 point in 11 games, and isn't half the penalty killer that Feds is. Who else is gonna come up and score 30 points, provide a tenacious forecheck and tremendous penalty killing? Brodie Dupont? Kolarik? The excpetionally mediocre Dale Weise?

As far as winning the spot out of camp, well, that's what Fedotenko did last year. Won the spot, and won a contract. You can say that it's just because he's Torts' boy, but he absolutely earned that spot in camp and preseason last year where he looked tremendous. No one could beat him out last year, but suddenly the same guys are 100% going to beat him out? Sure...
Ah yes, Feds the penalty-killing machine.

Look; I understand all the Feds love from the fanbase because he busts his ass. I have no beef having him another year but here's the deal: he's getting old. He's slow. He is redundant and replaceable at this stage of his career by someone who will have around half the cap hit. His salary is not going to kill us by any means but in a cap era when you have guys chomping at the bit to do the same job for half the money you do it. I'm shocked at the lack of confidence some of you have in our system being able to develop players to fit our style. And I never compared Newbury to Feds lets get that straight. I just used Newbury as an example of a guy that came up mid year and didn't look out of place defensively. I'm sorry you wanted him to have 9 points in 11 games will averaging probably around 8 minutes TOI playing on the 4th line.

The way hockey works is that as younger players age and get experience they get better. . You can't say the same for Feds; he was slow last year and he's a year older now. Given his style of play a guy can only go like that for so long. I know your crystal ball says none of the guys you mentioned would have beaten out Feds for a spot in camp this year but it's certainly not impossible (well..er.. until now because he's locked up and basically guaranteed a spot unless he forgets how to skate). Either way I hope he proves me wrong and scores 30 points again because we're stuck with him now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
Rupp and Feds have to be used as depth players otherwise im not sure why they need both.

Rupp fills a need for a guy who can fight, spell Prust, and pot a few goals on dirty, big line. (4th)

Feds is more of a peripheral guy that can do a lot of things, but also plays on that same type of line. (4th) Its nice to have both of them on the roster, and while i love Feds, im surprised they arent leaving more spots open to give the Hagelins and Thomas's a shot at cracking the lineup.

There seems to be a lot of 3rd-4th line guys piling up now though. I know Torts LOVES Fedotenko - and I really liked what he brought to the team last year as well. Happy he is resigned but kinda puzzled what the exact direction is with these two deals.

DelZottoHitTheNetJK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 11:50 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 910
Awards:
Yes, Feds will slow down. Is THIS the year where he can suddenly no longer compete? If so, who ****ing cares? He's on a one year deal. You demote him to Hartford and that's the end of him. If he shows that he can play as well as he did last year, perfect. The cap space is not an issue with him, as we have more than enough to take care of everything else we need to. The $500-$750k you save by playing a guy from Hartford is inconsequential.

Did I say it was impossible that someone would beat him out? No, I didn't. But YOU said you were 100% confident that someone would.

I am 100% confident of one thing--that if a kid such as Carl Hagelin wows in camp and deserves a spot, he'll be given one. We can't even be sure what the roster will look like tomorrow, let alone by camp. Plenty can happen, so let's hold off on bemoaning his redundancy and that he's blocking a kid.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 11:52 AM
DelZottoHitTheNetJK

Quote:
Originally Posted by we want cup View Post
I guess they're preparing for the injury bug again.
This is a good point as well. They know guys are gonna get hurt playing Tort's system and last year was horrendous with injuries. Again I stand by my opinion of it being a redundant signing but like I said before I have no beef with him as a depth player.

Old
07-02-2011, 12:00 PM
DelZottoHitTheNetJK

Quote:
Yes, Feds will slow down. Is THIS the year where he can suddenly no longer compete? If so, who ****ing cares? He's on a one year deal. You demote him to Hartford and that's the end of him. If he shows that he can play as well as he did last year, perfect. The cap space is not an issue with him, as we have more than enough to take care of everything else we need to. The $500-$750k you save by playing a guy from Hartford is inconsequential.

Did I say it was impossible that someone would beat him out? No, I didn't. But YOU said you were 100% confident that someone would.
Let me change that then. I am 110% confident that someone would beat him out in camp this year if they got a good look. No knock against Feds because he's getting old. Our coaching staff and player development in CT is phenomenal. We're not pumping out high scoring wingers, no. But look at every single call up last year from Grachev to Newbury. All were defensively solid and meshed right into the Torts style of play. I'd give Grachev a shot on the 3rd line all day before penciling in grandpa. If Grachev ***** the bed you send him back down. As for the money, it's hard to argue any dollar amount is inconsequential when we just signed Brad Richards to a 9 year deal. Not to mention we have over 3 million tied up in "intangibles" plus Gaborik/Lundqvist making big money and several RFAs left to sign.

Old
07-02-2011, 12:13 PM
Mr Atoz*
I hid the Atavachron

Quote:
Originally Posted by WojtekGoalski View Post
Let me change that then. I am 110% confident that someone would beat him out in camp this year if they got a good look. No knock against Feds because he's getting old. Our coaching staff and player development in CT is phenomenal. We're not pumping out high scoring wingers, no. But look at every single call up last year from Grachev to Newbury. All were defensively solid and meshed right into the Torts style of play. I'd give Grachev a shot on the 3rd line all day before penciling in grandpa. If Grachev ***** the bed you send him back down. As for the money, it's hard to argue any dollar amount is inconsequential when we just signed Brad Richards to a 9 year deal. Not to mention we have over 3 million tied up in "intangibles" plus Gaborik/Lundqvist making big money and several RFAs left to sign.
You'll have to get on a plane to clean the bed. Have fun.

Mr Atoz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 12:18 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by WojtekGoalski View Post
All were defensively solid and meshed right into the Torts style of play.
None were even as close to as good as Fedotenko. You have a gross under appreciation for what it means to play hockey away from the puck. Slow? He was one of the most consistently effective players on the team last season. He rarely had a bad game. He rarely wasn't one of the best defensive forwards on the team. He's clearly in excellent shape, since his effort didn't wane from game to game.

Why do people want a guy like him around? Because he's smart. He's a good decisionmaker. He has good fundamentals. He has above-average hockey sense. Significantly above-average. It's certainly possible that Hagelin does as well (in fact, he definitely does), and if he makes that clear in training camp, Fedotenko will be moved. But there is no need to rush anyone, including Hagelin.

For 1.4 mill, you get an excellent penalty killer, a guy who is reliable and dependable in any type of situation, who can fill in on an offensive line if necessary due to injury, who is well-positioned, a good stick checker, and absolutely no problem playing a physical, nasty game along the boards. He's also a lot stronger than people give him credit for.

I was shocked that he was brought into training camp last season, because his 09-10 season was horrible. But how any Ranger fan can not be in love with this guy after last season is mind boggling. He was one of the most consistent players on the team, and IMO, the most important and best player on the Feds-Boyle-Prust line.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 12:29 PM
we want cup
We do not Sow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting36e View Post
None were even as close to as good as Fedotenko. You have a gross under appreciation for what it means to play hockey away from the puck. Slow? He was one of the most consistently effective players on the team last season. He rarely had a bad game. He rarely wasn't one of the best defensive forwards on the team. He's clearly in excellent shape, since his effort didn't wane from game to game.

Why do people want a guy like him around? Because he's smart. He's a good decisionmaker. He has good fundamentals. He has above-average hockey sense. Significantly above-average. It's certainly possible that Hagelin does as well (in fact, he definitely does), and if he makes that clear in training camp, Fedotenko will be moved. But there is no need to rush anyone, including Hagelin.

For 1.4 mill, you get an excellent penalty killer, a guy who is reliable and dependable in any type of situation, who can fill in on an offensive line if necessary due to injury, who is well-positioned, a good stick checker, and absolutely no problem playing a physical, nasty game along the boards. He's also a lot stronger than people give him credit for.

I was shocked that he was brought into training camp last season, because his 09-10 season was horrible. But how any Ranger fan can not be in love with this guy after last season is mind boggling. He was one of the most consistent players on the team, and IMO, the most important and best player on the Feds-Boyle-Prust line.
I agree with all of this. Don't forget that he was arguably our most effective overall forward in the playoffs.

we want cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 12:36 PM
Mr Atoz*
I hid the Atavachron

Quote:
I agree with all of this. Don't forget that he was arguably our most effective overall forward in the playoffs.
I still can't figure out why some fans don't like him or why he can't command more money.

Mr Atoz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 12:41 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Not sure whether this belongs in the Rupp or the Feds thread, but I'm here and haven't posted in this thread yet, so I'll post it here.

People who are complaining that "why did you sign Rupp if you were going to re-sign Feds?" or "we just got Rupp for 3 years, why are we giving another roster spot to Feds?" I think for the most part are looking at this the wrong way.

Rupp is the guy signed long-term. They've got him penciled into the lineup for the next three years in a specific spot filling a specific role. Feds was signed for one year to be the jack-of-all trades, fill-in, rover, what-ever-the-hell-you-want-to-call-it. Feds is the teams insurance all throughout the forward lines. Much like a good utility guy in baseball who plays 4 games a week, alternately spelling the 2B, SS, 3B and an OF. And if someone should get hurt or flame out, he's perfectly capable to take on a full-time role for as little as 10 games or a full season, as required.

Bringing Feds in on a one year deal makes a TON of sense. In fact, you want to bring a guy in like this every year, if you can. Does no one remember the Black Aces from the Cup year?

BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 12:45 PM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

Quote:
And the fact that we had already sustained a few injuries last year, but managed to keep our record decent. Fedotenko went down and so did the team.

Tawnos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 12:49 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting36e View Post

Agreed. I don't think that line's nearly as good without Feds and everything he does.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 12:52 PM
JeffMangum
Registered Ab-user

DerekStepan21 Derek Stepan
by NYDNRangers
Welcome Brad Richards!

07-02-2011, 01:10 PM
Vitto79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Boyle View Post
DerekStepan21 Derek Stepan
by NYDNRangers
Welcome Brad Richards!
saw them talking at the All Star weekend and drooled.

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 05:00 PM
Thirty One
portnor, pls

vCash: 420
Quote:
Avery has played all three forward positions at various points in his career. Not sure about Feds.
Fedotenko can play the right wing.

very happy that he's back.

Thirty One is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 08:22 PM
DekeR

Feds, no biggie to the signing except that it might make the transition a little smoother having someone who Richards is familiar with. Other than that ....................

DekeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 08:46 PM
Swept In Seven
Disciple of The Zook

I am glad we kept Feds, he deserved to be resigned

Swept In Seven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2011, 03:39 AM
JayQueensNY88*

Love it,wish it was for 2 yrs and wanted Prospal back for 1.

JayQueensNY88* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2011, 05:12 AM
Swept In Seven
Disciple of The Zook

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay8899 View Post
Love it,wish it was for 2 yrs and wanted Prospal back for 1.
I think it was time to move on from Prospal, I love the guy but he just doesnt fit anymore.

Swept In Seven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2011, 07:03 AM
Black Tank

Look, if Fedetenko can't cut it anymore we can send him to HFD. The guy is a monster on the boards, if he can pass along that knowledge to the guys in HFD, that alone has some value. Good utility signing.

Black Tank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2011, 08:26 AM
HeaveHo94
PSN: NYC_RANGERS_94

ok ok

HeaveHo94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2011, 08:06 PM
Captain Monglobster

Fedetenko is a very important player for this team. He goes out and leads by example, which is exactly what a good veteran does.

Richards also mentioned Torts AND Feds as selling points for the Rangers.

I hope he plays all 82 games.

Captain Monglobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2011, 01:35 AM
Whoot Whoot
Biased-NYR-Homer

Feds earned his spot and earned the clubs loyalty.

Whoot Whoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2011, 03:15 AM
t3hg00se

Send a message via AIM to t3hg00se
Having a guy like Fedotenko in your bottom-6 is more important than most realize.

It was a necessity to bring him back.

t3hg00se is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2011, 09:26 AM
vippe

Send a message via MSN to vippe
Why are some of you complaining really? He's a player everyone wants on their team. And obviously him being on 2 different cup winners including the same team Richards won with... you cant go wrong with this. Just cant.

vippe is offline   Reply With Quote