HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Habs Board Day 1 WINNERS/losers (excluding habs moves)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-02-2011, 07:18 AM
  #26
Coldplay
Courage
 
Coldplay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Montréal
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,088
vCash: 500
Tallon pretty much assembeled a Stanley Cup winner in Chicago. Give him a bit more credit, he even received a Cup ring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post
Winners:
Washington - Snagging a lottery pick for Varlamov already was made of win. Add in made strong signings such as Hamrlik and Halpern, and they are the big winners of UFA day.

Losers:
Florida - it's hard to get value on UFA day but that's no reason to overpay UFAs on top of that. Yeah, they'll be better than they were. They might be the 10th best team in the East now. Much good will it do to them. Tallon is repeating what got him fired in Chicago.

Colorado - Handed Washington a lottery pick for Varlamov and signed Giguère. Meanwhile, Vokoun was right there on the market.

Coldplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 08:16 AM
  #27
Corncob
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 1,614
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by natey2k4 View Post
If they sign Gagné or Connolly, which frankly, is quite possible - they are going to have a ridiculous deep team. They don't have any elite talent, but they have a couple above average 2nd lines and some great 3rd liners.

Look at the PPG ratios;

Weiss - 0.65 or 53 points (down year as well with Booth just starting to get his legs back)
Booth - 0.50 or 41 points/season (expect that to rise)
Santorelli - 0.50 or 41 points/season (young kid, should improve)
Flash - 0.69 or 57 points/season
Kopecky - 0.52 or 43 points/season
Upshall - 0.42 or 34 points/season
Goc - 0.47 or 39 points/season (awesome 3rd line centre)
Versteeg - 0.58 or 47 points/season
Dadonov - 0.47 or 39 points/season (rookie, should improve)
Bergenheim - 0.37 or 30 points/season

Add in Campbell and Jovocop which frankly is an upgrade over last season - and they have got better.

How far is that off of us last year, seriously? Like I said, no elite talent but very deep.
Hmm, yeah that's all very good, except as already pointed out, most of those players got those points in different circumstances, on different teams. And some of them didn't actually get them at all. It's very well saying that Fleischman was on pace for 57 points over an 82 game season, but he actually only scored 31. He's never played a full 82 game season and he's never scored more than 51 points. Kopecky may have got 42 points playing on Jonathan Toews wing, but that's a long way from repeating that on Florida.

Corncob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 08:28 AM
  #28
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 28,993
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post
Winners:
Washington - Snagging a lottery pick for Varlamov already was made of win. Add in made strong signings such as Hamrlik and Halpern, and they are the big winners of UFA day.

Losers:
Florida - it's hard to get value on UFA day but that's no reason to overpay UFAs on top of that. Yeah, they'll be better than they were. They might be the 10th best team in the East now. Much good will it do to them. Tallon is repeating what got him fired in Chicago.

Colorado - Handed Washington a lottery pick for Varlamov and signed Giguère. Meanwhile, Vokoun was right there on the market.
Varlamov is a very talented goalie, plus you are assuming it will be a lottery pick which i don't think it will be.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 08:29 AM
  #29
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 28,993
vCash: 500
I thuink for Florida, some of their guys will flop in bigger roles while others will thrive with more ice time...unfortunately they all signed them to 3-4-5 year contracts so they'll be stuck with a few.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 08:41 AM
  #30
MathMan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 16,855
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
Varlamov is a very talented goalie, plus you are assuming it will be a lottery pick which i don't think it will be.
Varlamov is a very talented, often-injured goalie that might end up not even being the Colorado starter. He's not worth a first-round pick to begin with.

And how is Colorado not a lottery team? They're terrible.

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 08:46 AM
  #31
macavoy
Registered User
 
macavoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 7,173
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
Varlamov is a very talented goalie, plus you are assuming it will be a lottery pick which i don't think it will be.
I agree, I think people are under rating Valamov a bit here. He's a young goalie ready to make the jump to a starter. He's had 3 seasons as a backup and has a .915 career sv%.

Whether he's good enough to put them in 9-14 spot as opposed to 13-16 is another question.

macavoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 08:46 AM
  #32
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 28,993
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post
Varlamov is a very talented, often-injured goalie that might end up not even being the Colorado starter. He's not worth a first-round pick to begin with.

And how is Colorado not a lottery team? They're terrible.
A team with Stastny and Duchene has a chance to improve big time. 2 years ago they were 8th in the division, the only reason they flopped last year is Anderson was hurt most of the year and then Elliott came in and he is terrible. Varlamov and Giguere should be a sizeable upgrade on what they had, plus they addeda strong stay at home guy in Hejda..

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 09:07 AM
  #33
Crimson Skorpion
Global Moderator
 
Crimson Skorpion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Lachine, Quebec
Country: Germany
Posts: 26,052
vCash: 50
Awards:
Winners:
---------
Florida improved their team, so they are winners. Yes, they overpaid for just about every player they signed, but they had to reach the cap floor. Like I said in the few weeks leading up to July 1st; I could see teams that aren't at the cap floor yet, overpaying several UFAs, instead of trading for a Gomez like contract. Yes, they sort of did that in Campbell, but Campbell is still a very good hockey player that could fit well in Florida. I think Tallong signed guys that are all not superstars, but that all can work hard and play as a team.

I really liked what Phoenix did as well. Re-signing Vrbata and then adding Gordon and Torres, two pretty gritty players that will fit nicely in their bottom 6/top 9. Mike Smith, in my opinion, is also a nice signing as he can become quite a good goaltender for them.

Washington. Wow, did they ever improve. Adding Hamrlik will bring experience and leadership to their defensive core, and he really won't need to play big minutes like he did in Montreal either. Halpern will look great in their bottom 6, taking key face-offs. I really was happy to see him have a good bounce back season with the Habs. The only question mark for me is Joel Ward. He did have a good post-season, which is what got him his contract yesterday, but does he have what it takes to do that over the course of a season? I think playing with Halpern could make Ward a better player.

Losers:
-------
Edmonton. They did not improve at all. Belanger was decent, but the rest were pretty much throw aways. The only one I truly liked, funny enough, was Ben Eager. It's a risk, but if they can calm him down it's a good signing. Their top 6 is filled with talent and youth and they need someone to protect them. With Ben Eager, they have now filled that void.

Colorado. Varlarmov for a 1st and a 2nd in 2012 or 2013? Ouch. Wish they would have been looking for a goaltender with desperation earlier, because Halak could have brought that in easily. Varlarmov hasn't one a thing and is clearly unproven. Giguere as a possible back-up and Kobasew are pretty much neutral picks. But with a goaltender duo of Giguere-Varlarmov? It'll be nice seeing Washington get a lottery pick this year.

__________________
"I really like the way Drew Doughty plays the game. He's like a defenceman version of Erik Karlsson."
-68
Crimson Skorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 09:20 AM
  #34
macavoy
Registered User
 
macavoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 7,173
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonSkorpion View Post
Colorado. Varlarmov for a 1st and a 2nd in 2012 or 2013? Ouch. Wish they would have been looking for a goaltender with desperation earlier, because Halak could have brought that in easily.
But I do agree that Colorado overpaid with Varlamov poising to go to Russia. They got a quality tender but he wasn't worth a 1st and a 2nd when Washington has Neuvirth and Holtby.

macavoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 09:22 AM
  #35
Iwishihadacup
Registered User
 
Iwishihadacup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Quebec City
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,709
vCash: 500
The biggest losers were the Gauthier criticizers IMO

Iwishihadacup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 09:26 AM
  #36
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses
 
Habs 4 Life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Italy
Posts: 32,367
vCash: 500
Florida will compete next year but they will need goaltending

Colorado by far the biggest losers on the day, what a horrible trade

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 09:42 AM
  #37
ourson
Registered User
 
ourson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 170
vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to ourson
the winners : Washington and Buffalo
the losers: Colorado

ourson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 09:44 AM
  #38
Crimson Skorpion
Global Moderator
 
Crimson Skorpion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Lachine, Quebec
Country: Germany
Posts: 26,052
vCash: 50
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by macavoy View Post
But I do agree that Colorado overpaid with Varlamov poising to go to Russia. They got a quality tender but he wasn't worth a 1st and a 2nd when Washington has Neuvirth and Holtby.
Not only that, but Vokoun is still there as well. Why give up a lottery pick, when you can pick up Vokoun for a year or two?

Crimson Skorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 09:47 AM
  #39
macavoy
Registered User
 
macavoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 7,173
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonSkorpion View Post
Not only that, but Vokoun is still there as well. Why give up a lottery pick, when you can pick up Vokoun for a year or two?
Long term Varlamov is a good option imo. They probably sent a feeler to Vokoun, who knows.

I wouldn't want to play long term with Vokoun, he has virtually no playoff experience for a 34 year old goalie. That isn't something that is attractive to me.

Really though Varlamov should have netted a return similar to Halak. Former 1st round pick type thing.

macavoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 09:54 AM
  #40
Talks to Goalposts
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,478
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by natey2k4 View Post
If they sign Gagné or Connolly, which frankly, is quite possible - they are going to have a ridiculous deep team. They don't have any elite talent, but they have a couple above average 2nd lines and some great 3rd liners.

Look at the PPG ratios;

Weiss - 0.65 or 53 points (down year as well with Booth just starting to get his legs back)
Booth - 0.50 or 41 points/season (expect that to rise)
Santorelli - 0.50 or 41 points/season (young kid, should improve)
Flash - 0.69 or 57 points/season
Kopecky - 0.52 or 43 points/season
Upshall - 0.42 or 34 points/season
Goc - 0.47 or 39 points/season (awesome 3rd line centre)
Versteeg - 0.58 or 47 points/season
Dadonov - 0.47 or 39 points/season (rookie, should improve)
Bergenheim - 0.37 or 30 points/season

Add in Campbell and Jovocop which frankly is an upgrade over last season - and they have got better.

How far is that off of us last year, seriously? Like I said, no elite talent but very deep.
None of those guys were driving the bus where they were playing. Also, if they let Vokoun go they end up being worse because they were dependant on star goaltending to not be Edmonton last year. Losing him negates most of the advantage of adding these guys.

Talks to Goalposts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 09:57 AM
  #41
Iwishihadacup
Registered User
 
Iwishihadacup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Quebec City
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,709
vCash: 500
LOL Toronto

Iwishihadacup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 10:06 AM
  #42
MathMan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 16,855
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwishihadacup View Post
LOL Toronto
I wouldn't call them losers. They're still a bad club and they have their first-round pick. Richards was not going to make them a playoff club.

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 10:11 AM
  #43
Iwishihadacup
Registered User
 
Iwishihadacup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Quebec City
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,709
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post
I wouldn't call them losers. They're still a bad club and they have their first-round pick. Richards was not going to make them a playoff club.
they did not get better still, and missed a huge opportunity to get better, which is the mandate of their GM

biggest losers

Iwishihadacup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 10:12 AM
  #44
Whitesnake
Year of the Snake
 
Whitesnake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Lorraine
Country: Canada
Posts: 43,839
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post
I wouldn't call them losers. They're still a bad club and they have their first-round pick. Richards was not going to make them a playoff club.
Yep. Loser now for some....but not with a top 3 pick next year they won't be...

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 10:15 AM
  #45
Iwishihadacup
Registered User
 
Iwishihadacup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Quebec City
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,709
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Yep. Loser now for some....but not with a top 3 pick next year they won't be...
the best thing is that they probably won't, they dont have the club to make the playoffs, but they don't have the club to get a top5 pick

they are now stuck in the "too good to get great players through the draft that can contribute immediately" phase


which is great for us, once again

Iwishihadacup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 10:18 AM
  #46
Andy
Registered User
 
Andy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,761
vCash: 500
Winners: Patient Habs Fans
Losers: The Whiners

Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 10:32 AM
  #47
Whitesnake
Year of the Snake
 
Whitesnake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Lorraine
Country: Canada
Posts: 43,839
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koseegin View Post
Winners: Patient Habs Fans
Losers: The Whiners
18 years now...what do I win....

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 10:35 AM
  #48
Andy
Registered User
 
Andy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,761
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
18 years now...what do I win....
Respect from other posters!

Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 10:41 AM
  #49
Whitesnake
Year of the Snake
 
Whitesnake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Lorraine
Country: Canada
Posts: 43,839
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koseegin View Post
Respect from other posters!
Well I am portrait as a whiner so, I guess that's not good enough. Oh well, just trying to express opinions. Strong sometimes, but I just hate to continuously hate the "We'll wait and see". Not that good on a board front EVEN if that's what makes more sense in some cases....Everybody will always have to wait and see...still it's not really board material....

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 10:45 AM
  #50
Andy
Registered User
 
Andy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,761
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Well I am portrait as a whiner so, I guess that's not good enough. Oh well, just trying to express opinions. Strong sometimes, but I just hate to continuously hate the "We'll wait and see". Not that good on a board front EVEN if that's what makes more sense in some cases....Everybody will always have to wait and see...still it's not really board material....
You're not a whiner.

You express structured arguments as to why you don't agree with some decisons, which makes for good debates.

That is totally different from saying

"Gauthier has no plan"
"Gauthier is incompetant"
"Molsons are cheap"
"molsons won't spend to the cap"
"Gauthier is happy with status quo"

Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:50 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.