HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What Now?

Old
07-02-2011, 10:36 AM
LeafDangler

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KapG View Post
How bout we just go into the season with what we have and see how things go. Let our young guys develop and if we happen to fall on our face, we get a shot at Nail.
Thank you. Exactly this. We are the most financially flexible team in the NHL right now. That is extremely valuable. We may have missed out on Richards but there will be other opportunities.

We have tons of youth, lets see if any of them are any good. Then we'll have the money to keep those that do around. Separate the wheat from the chafe and continue to bring in quality young talent.

LeafDangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 10:36 AM
Drew311
Catch The Taste

Calgary will overpay for Connolly on a long term deal, because for some reason they think this will make them a contender.

Not chance Burke throws a bunch of money at Connolly, he will be making a trade in the next week.

Drew311 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 10:37 AM
Interactif

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradbirtch View Post
fail for nail
Tempting, this guy would make Leafs fans forget Stamkos or Richards if he ever wore a Leafs jersey.

Interactif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 10:38 AM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
I would say the win now fans are whats wrong with Toronto.

No ****ing patience.
No patience. Leaf fans have been Leaf fans long before Burke became GM. Fans are frustrated because they haven't made the playoffs since the lockout. How many teams haven't made the playoffs since the lockout?

Toronto
Florida
St Louis?? Not sure

Heck even Columbus has made the playoffs and they were sick and tired of the losing and decided to trade for Jeff Carter.

Leaf fans have patience they don't have patience for waiting until the team actually makes the playoffs. It shouldn't be hard to make the playoffs.

RayzorIsDull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 10:39 AM
Drmckool
Truculence!

If the Leafs can't get stamkos the Leafs might as well just sit tight and see what happens. The East seems better than it was now and it might be prudent to let the young guys compete and worst case scenario get a good draft pick (or two).

Drmckool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
bgf29

Connolly will end up making more per game in his next contract than Richards will. Dude spends way, way too much time in the press box.

bgf29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
dubplatepressure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suntouchable13 View Post
Yea, but missing the playoffs again next season is unacceptable.
No - it's uncomfortable.

It's certainly not unacceptable.

If the team misses the playoffs this coming season but in doing so continues to add to and develop our prospect cupboard (aka future) it is entirely plausible that we'll be a much, much better team in 3-5 years, and more importantly, one that's sustainable, as opposed to the typical roll-the-dice hit/miss the playoffs ever year.

Richards also didn't and doesn't guarantee a post-season appearance. People don't seem to understand that. He is one of the roads to a contending team. ONE OF.

So let's all take a collective breath and pop a pop a Valium or something, let the senior management do their jobs.

dubplatepressure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
KapG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactif View Post
Tempting, this guy would make Leafs fans forget Stamkos or Richards if he ever wore a Leafs jersey.
I know its only JR hockey. HOWEVER. 65 gp. 52 goals 49 assists for 101 points with 71 PIMS in his rookie year.

I wouldn't mind drafting him

KapG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 10:40 AM
Vinner

There are some bottom-6 options still available.

I would definitely not be happy with Tim Connolly and I'd be even less impressed with the "let's go with the kids and tank ********." Burke can make the playoffs or he can gtfo

Vinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 10:40 AM
trellaine201

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beezle View Post
it's been 6 years and people are losing patience. How can you blame us?
Well said!!!!

trellaine201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 10:41 AM
jmart21
MISC!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen23 View Post
There was only one #1 C in this poor free agent class. After seeing the ridiculous money being thrown out yesterday, I am glad we weren't as foolish. There are better ways to use up our cap space.
Yes. The most guys yesterday were overpaid.

That being said; Richards was signed for far under market value; management has to find a way to make this a more attractive place for FAs. Is it something they have the power to change (coaching? Facilities? etc) or is it something they can't (media, fanbase etc). Or is it both?

I just think a cold hard look has to be taken to this situation. Because if we are "retooling" instead of "rebuilding" (ie thru the draft) we need to be able to land key free agents. It just won't work doing everything via trades.

jmart21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 10:41 AM
Ryan52

if our plan b is a ufa the deal better not exceed 2 years

Ryan52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 10:42 AM
KapG

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayzorIsDull View Post
No patience. Leaf fans have been Leaf fans long before Burke became GM. Fans are frustrated because they haven't made the playoffs since the lockout. How many teams haven't made the playoffs since the lockout?

Toronto
Florida
St Louis?? Not sure

Heck even Columbus has made the playoffs and they were sick and tired of the losing and decided to trade for Jeff Carter.

Leaf fans have patience they don't have patience for waiting until the team actually makes the playoffs. It shouldn't be hard to make the playoffs.
Well, the reason we haven't made the playoffs since the lockout is because of terrible management decisions IMO.

How can the leaf fans have patience but then not have patience for waiting until the team makes the playoffs? How the **** does that make sense?

KapG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
I am Canadian
Swedes + Leafs =

I really feel the Season lays at Reimers feet. If he slumps we can dive but if he plays well we will hover around 7,8,9,10 spot.

I am Canadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Confucius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suntouchable13 View Post
He has to do something. He can't miss the playoffs for the 4th straight year as GM.
Why not? Easy to let him go then. Why do we need him if Nonis, Dudley and Fletcher are so good? Schenn could do the good will tour without Burke, or after Burke is gone he can go every July 1st from now on that would be cool.

Confucius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
trellaine201

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen23 View Post
Offersheet Stamkos to a 10M offer sheet and make Tampa sweat it out. OR similar to Kessel, reach a deal with the agent and inform Yzerman that he could trade him to us to avoid the offer sheet. But you should atleast call the agent and find out what would it take to get him signed (what doesn't Tampa Bay want to pay).
Yep lets put pressure on Yzerman and company. Perhaps a bit dirty but Burke should be trying to get this team better anyway he can. 6 years is way to long without playoffs and HE can't wait any longer to get into the playoffs imo.

trellaine201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Interactif

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaateloauto View Post
We still have Kadri and Colborne as our top prospects. Grabovski is just as good a #1C as a guy like Weiss would be. Leafs are not any further away from getting a center for Kessel than they were yesterday.

And we're not getting Stamkos, just give it up.

Myth: Burke doesn't do offer sheets
They said this yesterday, he would rather talk deal as he did with Chiarelli, if they don't come up with a deal, then he offers a sheet to the player. As Chiarelli said many times he thought the Leafs were going to be a lottery team and agreed to not match Toronto on Kessel's deal. Burke will not do a Penner/Lowe deal, where the GM just went behind his back and offered a offer sheet. This is a distinct difference and Why he was so mad at Lowe.

Interactif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by apb03 View Post
Now? Plan B. Play our young prospects and see what we have. I doubt we'll be getting stamkos, but it's nice to fantasize about.

Maybe sign Arnott?
Yep.

Play the Kids.

A traditional rebuild without benefits of hitting the bottom.

Vaive and Ludzik on collapse, and Phaneuf.
ULF_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 10:43 AM
LeafDangler

It sucks that people have lost patience but how does that make short sighted moves any more palatable?

LeafDangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
OddyOh
Really, Healy?

Burke won't move Schenn, they've gone to war together.
I say swallow our pride, play the kids, and keep our 1st round pick. Will be a long season though...

OddyOh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
I know its only JR hockey. HOWEVER. 65 gp. 52 goals 49 assists for 101 points with 71 PIMS in his rookie year.

I wouldn't mind drafting him
Still in the same predicament. Who's going to pass the puck to Yakupov? He's a winger not a center. I know you don't draft for need but you can have the greatest wingers in the world but if you don't have a center to feed them the puck it's like going to a beach with beautiful models you have suntan oil but no girl is coming to you to oil them up.

RayzorIsDull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 10:44 AM
Confucius

Quote:
Originally Posted by trellaine201 View Post
Yep lets put pressure on Yzerman and company. Perhaps a bit dirty but Burke should be trying to get this team better anyway he can. 6 years is way to long without playoffs and HE can't wait any longer to get into the playoffs imo.
Why is it dirty? It's within the rules.

Confucius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
nuck
Axis of Evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelletier666 View Post
No way this happens. Why would they sign one years deals only.
This might have been theoretically possible before July 1st but the stupid contracts given to pretty much everyone will carry over to these last few available players as desperate clubs try to buy whatever is left on the shelves. Not only will they be paying more for the UFAs but their own RFAs too. This summer is going to have a big affect on all contracts signed between now and next July 1st.

To others re: Stamkos I would not be worried about a club with their financial issues poaching Schenn out of revenge, but even if they did it works for the Leafs. Having said that, Stamkos is likely just using other clubs as a bargaining tool and won't sign an offer sheet anyways (which Tampa almost certainly matches). Why would BB do an offer sheet here where he wouldn't with Kessel? I don't think he wants to be the one who opens the floodgates. He is probably gagging when he looks at the inflation in salaries in just 2 days.

nuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
vezna*
Canada's Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradbirtch View Post
fail for nail
i was on this bandwagon a long time ago

vezna* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 10:45 AM
Dark Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmart21 View Post
Personally, I am extremely dissapointed that we didn't manage to address a single hole in FA thus far. We need a top line centre and some big upgrades in our bottom 6. None of which we could manage to get.

Even if we can swing a trade for a C; we'll be creating more holes to get said centre. There will just be too many holes for us to compete in the East.
Just cant see Burke doing nothing, but I wouldnt say that we need huge upgrades in our bottome six. The biggest holes we had, coming into the draft, was a top centre for the Kessel line and a PMD. We filled one of those holes, but as many of us have beem alduding to, the centre spot is a much more difficult position to fill.

I would be OK with Connolly, but not at a long term deal with a hefty cap hit.

Dark Passenger is offline   Reply With Quote