HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Notices

Pens sign Colin McDonald (2 way | 1 yr, $525k)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-01-2011, 06:09 PM
  #26
Stecz
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 799
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by clefty View Post
The coincidence would be that we lost one AHL scorer in Brett Sterling and replaced him with anohter.

We signed Asham to accomodate for Rupp's departure. Not freaking Colin McDonald.
Didn't realise we'd lost Sterling, my bad.

Stecz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2011, 06:10 PM
  #27
Shrimper
WinItFor#58
 
Shrimper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Essex
Country: United Kingdom
Posts: 62,148
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by clefty View Post
Yeah, it does. This is for AHL/depth purposes only, nothing to do with any move made in relation to the parent club. Wilkes-Barre needs players too.
I wouldn't be surprised to see a couple more in the future.

Shrimper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2011, 06:12 PM
  #28
Jacob
Registered User
 
Jacob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 25,033
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by clefty View Post
The 'coincidence' would be that we lost one AHL scorer in Brett Sterling and replaced him with anohter.

We signed Asham to accomodate for Rupp's departure. Not freaking Colin McDonald.
Where's your sense of reading-too-much-into-things?

Jacob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2011, 07:42 PM
  #29
Jahodac
Registered User
 
Jahodac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 1,447
vCash: 500
43 goals in the AHL? Is this feeding from his teammates or is he a legit scorer?

Great addition to WBS.

Jahodac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2011, 08:19 PM
  #30
eXile59
Shirts on.
 
eXile59's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: PA
Posts: 15,847
vCash: 500
Conner, Minard, Sterling... Shero loves the AHL over achievers.

eXile59 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2011, 08:24 PM
  #31
BumFortyOne
Registered User
 
BumFortyOne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Berkeley
Posts: 733
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by eXile59 View Post
Conner, Minard, Sterling... Shero loves the AHL over achievers.
Shero loves having a competitive farm team with some veteran scorers.

BumFortyOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2011, 10:22 PM
  #32
Joey Moss
Proud to select...
 
Joey Moss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 21,127
vCash: 226
He basically told Oilers management he's going to make them regret not having him up with the big club. Hope it works out for him in Pittsburgh, he might actually be a decent player for you guys if given the chance.

Joey Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2011, 10:27 PM
  #33
OnlyTheBrave*
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 2,818
vCash: 500
For it being a 2-way deal, I think this is more than an AHL signing, if there are any injuries, I expect him to be called up for a game or two, much like Ryan Craig was.

Usually if it's an AHL signing, they won't mention the 2-way part, they will just say WBS Signed so and so. Yeah, it's a signing to bolster the AHL, but it's also a signing of "hey maybe this kid can help WBS and if he does well enough, who knows?" type of thing. Like an AHL signing might come to the Pens camp, might now, a guy on a 2-way deal will be at the Pens camp for sure. Like Colin.

What will the Baby Pens RW situation look like? Petersen and Veilleux can play LW/RW, Thompson can play both sides as well right?

OnlyTheBrave* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2011, 10:31 PM
  #34
eXile59
Shirts on.
 
eXile59's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: PA
Posts: 15,847
vCash: 500
Did we re-up Conner?

eXile59 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2011, 10:43 PM
  #35
OnlyTheBrave*
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 2,818
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by shureshot66 View Post
Looks like he wasn't actually under contract to the Oilers last year -- played on an AHL deal.

Also:
Don't know about his chances with the part about his skating, definitely AHL bound for the year then, lol

OnlyTheBrave* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2011, 11:03 PM
  #36
HuskerTornado
RIP UW AlwaysBelieve
 
HuskerTornado's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Parts Unknown
Country: United States
Posts: 11,764
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnlyTheBrave View Post
For it being a 2-way deal, I think this is more than an AHL signing, if there are any injuries, I expect him to be called up for a game or two, much like Ryan Craig was.

Usually if it's an AHL signing, they won't mention the 2-way part, they will just say WBS Signed so and so. Yeah, it's a signing to bolster the AHL, but it's also a signing of "hey maybe this kid can help WBS and if he does well enough, who knows?" type of thing. Like an AHL signing might come to the Pens camp, might now, a guy on a 2-way deal will be at the Pens camp for sure. Like Colin.

What will the Baby Pens RW situation look like? Petersen and Veilleux can play LW/RW, Thompson can play both sides as well right?
If he's scoring in WBS at a 40+ goal pace, I would imagine he'll be called up for a few tryout games. If you are potting those kind of numbers, you have to have some sort of shot/hands.

HuskerTornado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2011, 11:07 PM
  #37
OnlyTheBrave*
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 2,818
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HuskerTornado View Post
If he's scoring in WBS at a 40+ goal pace, I would imagine he'll be called up for a few tryout games. If you are potting those kind of numbers, you have to have some sort of shot/hands.
There are nothing wrong with his hands, the problem is his skating apparently. You would think that a guy that has been in the AHL for a bit and was called out for his skating issues, that he would work on it.

He is coming to an organization that is a contender and in win now mode, if he works on his weaknesses this summer and comes to camp showing that it's not a problem, they'll take note of that and like you said, if he scores at a goal per game pace in the first 20 games, you would have to be nuts not to call the guy up out of curiosity.

OnlyTheBrave* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2011, 11:40 PM
  #38
Dr Van Nostrand
Banned
 
Dr Van Nostrand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 901
vCash: 500
Plan the parade!

Dr Van Nostrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 12:24 AM
  #39
Burgs
Registered User
 
Burgs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Country: Germany
Posts: 5,447
vCash: 500
McDonald scored 42 goals (19 on the PP) on a team with really, really, really good forwards like Giroux and Moran, some of the very best you can get in terms of career AHLers. Before that he had three AHL seasons with 12, 10 and 12 goals. He won't have that kind of quality around him in WBS where his center will likely be Craig or Gibbons.

That said, the Baby Pens needed a veteran scorer and he's worth a try. Best case is that he and Thompson finally bring the anemic PP to life. WBS has had as much trouble with that recently as their parent club.

Burgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 06:18 AM
  #40
OilersFan1
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 3
vCash: 500
The deal with McDonald is he was on a minor league deal with Oklahoma City last year. About mid way through the year Edmonton offered him a 2 year 2 way contract so that he could be called up. He wanted 1 year and Edmonton wouldn't budge thus they never called him up. They choose to go with their long term guys instead.

He did have top tier linemates but still produced when calls ups were made. Last year was the first time he was put in an offensive role (PP, 1st line et). With Springfield he was billed as a grinder and a checking forward.

OilersFan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 07:29 AM
  #41
vyktor
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 803
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnlyTheBrave View Post
There are nothing wrong with his hands, the problem is his skating apparently. You would think that a guy that has been in the AHL for a bit and was called out for his skating issues, that he would work on it.

He is coming to an organization that is a contender and in win now mode, if he works on his weaknesses this summer and comes to camp showing that it's not a problem, they'll take note of that and like you said, if he scores at a goal per game pace in the first 20 games, you would have to be nuts not to call the guy up out of curiosity.
How does his skating compare to Guerin's last season lol. Is he a guy that plays in front of the bet on the PP cause if that is where he scored those 19 PP goals then I'm all for hiding him on the 4th line and trotting him out for the PP, skating not so much of an issue when your getting pounded on in the crease.

vyktor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 08:03 AM
  #42
JTG
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Country: Sierra Leone
Posts: 38,217
vCash: 500
Clicking in this thread...I expected him to be a fighter.

I'm sure WBS is happy.

JTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 10:47 AM
  #43
Fleury14
Kipper
 
Fleury14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Toronto, ON
Country: United Kingdom
Posts: 4,339
vCash: 500
Very odd stat lines for his career. Before his 42 goals last season, the most goals he'd had in a season in the AHL was 12. The most goals he'd ever scored in a season in the NCAA was 13, and that was in his senior year. Also, in the playoffs last year, he had a goal and an assist in 6 games.

I'm smelling a fluke season for a contract year, I wonder how much his AHL salary is.

Fleury14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:49 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.