HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

What Now?

Old
07-02-2011, 10:45 AM
RayzorIsDull

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KapG View Post
Well, the reason we haven't made the playoffs since the lockout is because of terrible management decisions IMO.

How can the leaf fans have patience but then not have patience for waiting until the team makes the playoffs? How the **** does that make sense?
Right Burke isn't to blame for the prior years before he arrived but he's responsible for what the Leafs have or don't have right now. Once again as you saw only 3 teams haven't made the playoffs since the lockout. Is it that hard to make an appearance in the playoffs?

RayzorIsDull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 10:47 AM
Interactif

Quote:
I know its only JR hockey. HOWEVER. 65 gp. 52 goals 49 assists for 101 points with 71 PIMS in his rookie year.

I wouldn't mind drafting him
I could take one more year of losing, if he is our number 1 C of the next 10 years. I have had enough of this, start like crap and finishing strong to miss out on a JT or SS, or B Schenn. This cycle has got to stop, there just isn't anything out there that is reasonable. TB will match whatever deal Burke may or may not offer Stamkos. This is a fact. Leafs fans got to stop dreaming that Stamkos is going to ever be a Leaf. It's not happening.

Interactif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Shanty
Just chip and chase.

Starting to feel like Chicago around here... Gonna start following the Marlies really hard I think.

Shanty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
KapG

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayzorIsDull View Post
Still in the same predicament. Who's going to pass the puck to Yakupov? He's a winger not a center. I know you don't draft for need but you can have the greatest wingers in the world but if you don't have a center to feed them the puck it's like going to a beach with beautiful models you have suntan oil but no girl is coming to you to oil them up.
I can't recall his name right now, but he is russian as well and plays on the Sting with Nail. He put up around 90 points last season in his rookie year and he is a C. I think him and Nail are ranked as 1 -2 right now.

We still have kadri and colborne, one of which could turn into our numer 1 c.

KapG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
KapG

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayzorIsDull View Post
Right Burke isn't to blame for the prior years before he arrived but he's responsible for what the Leafs have or don't have right now. Once again as you saw only 3 teams haven't made the playoffs since the lockout. Is it that hard to make an appearance in the playoffs?
Apparently it is?

BTW I already asked you once but ill do it again. How can leaf fans have patience but then not have the patience to wait for the team to make the playoffs?

Old
07-02-2011, 10:48 AM
trellaine201

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyhopeful View Post
Why is it dirty? It's within the rules.
Yes but its pretty much unwritten that GMs don't do this. All I am saying. It can potentially F teams up.

trellaine201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Liferleafer
Golf....again....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactif View Post
4 1st round picks, is he worth it? Can he get us to the promised land? Burke and his rules said he doesn't do offer sheets, unless he tells the GM out of curteousy can we make a deal, whatever he and Yzerman come up with, it will be costly.
I agree, but at this point you have to ask yourself, do you give up 4 unknowns or Schenn,Kuli,Kadri and possibly a pick? Stamkos WILL NOT come cheap via trade.

Liferleafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Ryan52

Quote:
Originally Posted by OddyOh View Post
Burke won't move Schenn, they've gone to war together.
I say swallow our pride, play the kids, and keep our 1st round pick. Will be a long season though...
i think i could deal with this one more year only because we have our pick

Ryan52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
firstemperor

next is we offer sheet Stamkos

firstemperor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
jiminygillickrs

What about Simon Gagne? Doesn't fill our need for a 1C but adds another serious threat on the wing. I suspect that burke is anticipating either kadri or colborne to step up and fill the void.

jiminygillickrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 10:49 AM
bradbirtch
go leafs go

Quote:
I can't recall his name right now, but he is russian as well and plays on the Sting with Nail. He put up around 90 points last season in his rookie year and he is a C. I think him and Nail are ranked as 1 -2 right now.

you mean alex galchenyuk he sick 2

bradbirtch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Penalty Kill Icing*
Fire Carlyle

vCash: 140
Just play with the kids; and hope the best!

Anyways, I am looking forward to leaning heavily on the guy who guarantees 1 point even when we are shutout!

Please! No to tanking! Aren't we already tired?

James Reimer!

Penalty Kill Icing* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
RayzorIsDull

Quote:

Galchenyuk is very good. I don't think Kadri is capable of holding down things as a number 1 center, he needs to play wing. Colborne I am okay with we need to see how he develops but it's quite possible he's not a regular NHL player until 2012-2013 and even then we don't know if he's a top line center.

RayzorIsDull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Four1 Lead
We got Nylander.

Simon Gagne Tim Connolly - Phil Kessel
Nikolai Kulemin Mikhail Grabovski - Clarke MacArthur
Joffrey Lupul Nazem Kadri Colby Armstrong
Matt Frattin - Tyler Bozak - Colton Orr
Mike Brown

Dion Phaneuf Keith Aulie
John-Michael Liles - Luke Schenn
Mike Komisarek - Carl Gunnarsson
#7 Defenceman (Lashoff/Gysbers/Holzer)

James Reimer
Jonas Gustavsson

-------------------------

I really think Bozak and Komisarek become expendable. If you're going to bring in a #1B centre like Tim Connolly, you've got to bring in another top 6 winger. Preferably on the left side. I also think MacArthur is expendable depending on the price he wants. The #2 RW position isn't difficult to fill. Bozak seems to be the obvious question mark. I like his talent and think he'll eventually be a solid #2B centre, but I'm not sure there's room for him. Unless you move Grabovski and go with Kadri/Bozak as you're #2/3 centres.

Four1 Lead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
Nasty Nazem
The North Remembers

We'll probably sign some 3rd/4th liners, use Kadri/Colborne with Kessel. Burke will continue to tell us how important cap space is and blah blah blah. Burke will say we won't tank, we'll be competitive and keep reminding us that for the last 2 months of the season, we were among the top. We won't finish bottom 5 but we'll finish roughly where we finished last season. Mediocrity FTW!

Nasty Nazem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 10:50 AM
Obama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suntouchable13 View Post
That's exactly what's wrong with the mentality of some fans here. It's ok to lose and miss the playoffs, right?
No, it's not OK. Many of us just prefer finishing in a position where we can draft an impact player, as opposed to missing the playoffs and drafting juri tlustly

Obama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 10:51 AM
Epoch

Nothing is going to happen regarding Stamkos, I don't know why some of you even entertain the notion.

Leafs sign Gagne or Connolly I suppose.

Epoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 10:51 AM
ErnieLeafs
LOVE & LIVE the Game

I would take Grigorenko before I'd take Galchenyuk.
You wanna see ELITE skill, Grigorenko or Yakupov are your guys.

Galchenyuk is a close 3rd though, followed by Ryan Murray, Nick Ebert, and Martin Frk.

ErnieLeafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 10:52 AM
KapG

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradbirtch View Post
you mean alex galchenyuk he sick 2
Yah thats the guy. If we for some reason ever fell to last and won the lottery, we could always trade down a spot and let someone else pay up for Nail and than we take Alex.

I would just draft Nail though if we were ever in the position to

Old
07-02-2011, 10:53 AM
Jibby95

Quote:

Alex Galchenyuk?

Jibby95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
KapG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mika Zibanejad View Post
Simon Gagne Tim Connolly - Phil Kessel
Nikolai Kulemin Mikhail Grabovski - Clarke MacArthur
Joffrey Lupul Nazem Kadri Colby Armstrong
Matt Frattin - Tyler Bozak - Colton Orr
Mike Brown

Dion Phaneuf Keith Aulie
John-Michael Liles - Luke Schenn
Mike Komisarek - Carl Gunnarsson
#7 Defenceman (Lashoff/Gysbers/Holzer)

James Reimer
Jonas Gustavsson

-------------------------

I really think Bozak and Komisarek become expendable. If you're going to bring in a #1B centre like Tim Connolly, you've got to bring in another top 6 winger. Preferably on the left side. I also think MacArthur is expendable depending on the price he wants. The #2 RW position isn't difficult to fill. Bozak seems to be the obvious question mark. I like his talent and think he'll eventually be a solid #2B centre, but I'm not sure there's room for him. Unless you move Grabovski and go with Kadri/Bozak as you're #2/3 centres.
Gagne AND Connoly? These guys can't stay healthy man. Are we offering them both 1 year deals?

No thanks.

Old
Chandrashekhar Limit
ORANJE 4 LYFE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafsfan80 View Post
Just play with the kids; and hope the best!

Anyways, I am looking forward to leaning heavily on the guy who guarantees 1 point even when we are shutout!

Please! No to tanking! Aren't we already tired?

James Reimer!
If we can't acquire a top line center, the only option is to tank. Otherwise, look forward to another couple of years of mediocrity, and no serious playoffs contention.

This is the most number of #1 centers that have changed teams in a while, and we didn't get any of em. Really hope Burke has something planned.

Chandrashekhar Limit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 10:55 AM
Interactif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dexter Doakes View Post
Just cant see Burke doing nothing, but I wouldnt say that we need huge upgrades in our bottome six. The biggest holes we had, coming into the draft, was a top centre for the Kessel line and a PMD. We filled one of those holes, but as many of us have beem alduding to, the centre spot is a much more difficult position to fill.

I would be OK with Connolly, but not at a long term deal with a hefty cap hit.
I'm not trying to being a downer here, but the only viable solution is we get Nail Yakupov, problem is Edmonton might still be worst than us. Our team is vastly improved but in reality people are blinded by our late season run. So many things have to go our way to even play at that level and other than Liles which was only a minor move this team has fallen behind every team in the East. Florida is vastly improved, NY is improved, Montreal is improved, Buffalo is improved, Columbus is improved, Philly is improved. Looks daunting DD. Keeping it real, I know there are cheerleaders on this board, but best to keep it balanced. Looks like a lottery pick next year. Just hope Burke is not foolish enough to deal for a Gerber this time around. As much as I like and respect him, his insane rules are beginning to bug me.

Interactif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 10:55 AM
sgupca

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmart21 View Post
how is this the "last chance"?
This,

people worry far too much. Richards was handed a 9 year contract at 31 years of age.

There are still quality guys out there in the UFA market, if we land at least 2 of them it gives us some flexibility to make a few trades.

We have a long summer, and not landing richards isn't such a bad thing.

sgupca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 10:56 AM
Sam Slick*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactif View Post
Richards signing with The Rangers was the last chance the Leafs had to acquire a #1C for the season. Where does Burke go from here?

A trade would be costly, after years of not having any prospects in the system does he bankrupt the franchise to get that number #1 C? Or does he sit tight and wait for Kadri or Colborne to develop?

Seems to me there isn't much out there, TB will match any offer sheet Leafs fwd to Stamkos, Connelly and Arnott are not the answer. The 2011-12 season looks challenging now that all the eastern teams are upgraded.

A high pick in a superb draft class is the only viable solution. Fact is the Leafs are exactly the team they were at the end of the 2010-11 season minus Brent and Giguere. Liles is a nice add but this was a minor move.

Look for a difficult season ahead, unless Burke mortages draft picks and prospects for immediate help.
Burke will have to give up assets now....if he really wants a 1c. We are not a playoff team by no stretch now. That is fact not fiction. Every team but us improved.

I would actually argue that we got worse.....we lost Brent. When he left I seriously thought Burke had a replacement to fill in via UFA like Talbot or Upshall.

I stand by my thread that MLSE has no intention of spending to the cap. Where the hell would we spend 18 mil and we already have 18 signed? Common sense people...common sense.

I had zero shock when the rags got Richards today. Zero. Rupp went....most here knew that Richards would go.

I have been through the league and I really cannot see a team parting with a number 1. Malkin would cost a fortune. Murray said he was keeping Spezza. So that leaves what is left for UFA's.

Has Connolly signed yet

Sam Slick* is offline   Reply With Quote