HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

CBJ signs goalie Mark Dekanich as backup goalie

Old
07-02-2011, 08:58 AM
KeithBWhittington
Going North

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadman View Post
It is possible to walk and chew gum at the same time.

The needed 2nd pair guy will come. I think Howson is in Ninja mode now. Lurking, waiting to pounce on a opportunity that will open up when the cap or roster crunch pushes someone into a corner. And although not as imperative maybe another wing.

Remember we do have to field a roster in Springfield. I think that was one of the problems previously, it was just a dumping ground. GMSH and Tyler Wright are trying to rework the organization top to bottom. We need to foster a winning, positive attitude to develop prospects mentally and not just their skills. So signing some talent and some experience for Springfield is important.
When I think of Howson in Ninja Mode I think of Chris Farley in Beverly Hills Ninja, minus the extra weight....

KeithBWhittington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 09:01 AM
KeithBWhittington
Going North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palinka View Post
Honestly, I don't think so. Dekanich would have been Nashville's backup last year if Lindback hadn't played out of his mind. Besides, even if he completely ***** the bed, Sanford can fill in on a spot basis.
The terms and length are very favorable, almost completely forgettable if he doesn't do anything here. Hopefully we got our guys....

Old
07-02-2011, 09:07 AM
Skraut

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithBWhittington View Post
I think its because its day one of free agency and Howson has seemingly made Springfield a priority over the CBJ....
Really, I didn't know we signed this guy for Springfield:

sometimes I wonder if people even bother to think before they type

Skraut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 09:15 AM
KeithBWhittington
Going North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skraut View Post
Really, I didn't know we signed this guy for Springfield:

sometimes I wonder if people even bother to think before they type
I saw that pic on Puck Daddy and was busting up laughing.

I was merely commenting that It seemed a bit strange that Howson had these Springfielders locked up before he could get all the pieces needed here...

I understand the importance of a strong minor league system, I just think it was kind of a bit of a In with a roar (with Wiz) out with a whimper kind of day. I fully expect Howson to make more moves as well, but it was quite a roller coaster of emotions for a lot of us these last few weeks, Coaching staff departures, Coaching staff hires, the Carter trade, the draft, the trade for Wiz's rights, the white knuckle, time-constrained sales pitch, etc...

Old
07-02-2011, 09:18 AM
Roadman
Moving On

Quote:
When I think of Howson in Ninja Mode I think of Chris Farley in Beverly Hills Ninja, minus the extra weight....
Hope it prompted a chuckle...

Roadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 09:21 AM
Roadman
Moving On

Quote:
I saw that pic on Puck Daddy and was busting up laughing.

I was merely commenting that It seemed a bit strange that Howson had these Springfielders locked up before he could get all the pieces needed here...

I understand the importance of a strong minor league system, I just think it was kind of a bit of a In with a roar (with Wiz) out with a whimper kind of day. I fully expect Howson to make more moves as well, but it was quite a roller coaster of emotions for a lot of us these last few weeks, Coaching staff departures, Coaching staff hires, the Carter trade, the draft, the trade for Wiz's rights, the white knuckle, time-constrained sales pitch, etc...

Not every move can be a block buster. But for the first time at least there were some than made you sit up and go Really?

It is nice to get to the top of the roller coaster instead simply riding the merry-go-round.

Last edited by Roadman: 07-02-2011 at 09:27 AM.
Roadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 09:25 AM
token grinder
formerly sirryan189

you guys will love dex. I wouldn't be surprised to see him take the number one job from mason.

as for why Nashville let him go is we have 3 goalies-pickard, smith. and engren fighting for the ahl #1, #2 and ECHL job with cincy, and lindback backing up peks. Add in hellberg, who will play overseas this year and probably next, there just wasn't enough room.

other reason is he doesn't fit the nashville goaltending req. be at least 6-5 and scandanavian.

dex is on twitter too, you all should follow

token grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 11:23 AM
RDriesenUD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadman View Post
Remember we do have to field a roster in Springfield. I think that was one of the problems previously, it was just a dumping ground. GMSH and Tyler Wright are trying to rework the organization top to bottom. We need to foster a winning, positive attitude to develop prospects mentally and not just their skills. So signing some talent and some experience for Springfield is important.
I agree and well said.

RDriesenUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 11:44 AM
IBleedUnionBlue

vCash: 1900
I like the Dex signing. His stats and the organization that developed him gives me hope that he will be a capable backup.

IBleedUnionBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 11:55 AM
Monk

Quote:
When I saw this move, I actually got up and ran to the filing cabinet, although I tripped over the surge protector and managed to not only wipe out myself, but unplug the computer as well.

I LOVE this signing. Dekanich covers an awful lot of net between his physical size and his athleticism, but he's not a sprawler/flopper in the Hasek model. Work ethic is not a question either, and he's going to come into camp gunning for the #1 spot.

For those who think that Scott Howson doesn't take risks, what could be a bigger risk than signing a backup goalie who's 25 and has less than 1 NHL game of experience?
Why did this prompt you to run to the filing cabinet?

Monk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 12:00 PM
blahblah

I'm getting more comfortable with this signing.

blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 12:08 PM
blahblah

Quote:
For those who think that Scott Howson doesn't take risks, what could be a bigger risk than signing a backup goalie who's 25 and has less than 1 NHL game of experience?
He's working on that image, although he admitted he was outside of his comfort zone (at least on the wiz deal). I'm hoping, since it doesn't look like we're going to fire him anytime soon, that he starts getting more comfortable with these types of deals. But not too comfortable.

I don't like that we're putting so much confidence in Mason, but we could very well have picked up a real NHL goalie. Even if just a borderline back up. If things implode on the goal tending side, we should have enough offense, hopefully, to give Howson some time to react as the season starts (which he hasn't shown to be very good at in the past, he needs to work on that some too). But Sanford isn't horrible.

I think we're fairly covered and this could work out really well in the long run. Obviously Nashville was fairly loaded in goal.

blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 12:28 PM
BluejacketNut

I like that he's 25, means he's been developed and could be that type of goalie that surprises people, but because he's ready, not just unknown (like Mason did)

BluejacketNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 12:35 PM
DougKnowsBest

im excited about this guy

i really am.. i dont know why, just a good feeling i guess. i have always been impressed with nashvilles goalies. when you look into him, all you see is good things

now also getting sanford really cuts down on the risk.. so again.. well played mr howson

DougKnowsBest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 12:43 PM
Goaliemon89
CBJ's Future CFO

Send a message via ICQ to Goaliemon89 Send a message via AIM to Goaliemon89 Send a message via MSN to Goaliemon89 Send a message via Yahoo to Goaliemon89
You heard it here first: Dekanich will overtake the starting job from Mason by December 1st

Goaliemon89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 01:12 PM
Socks
SharkCat Knows

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougKnowsBest View Post
im excited about this guy

i really am.. i dont know why, just a good feeling i guess. i have always been impressed with nashvilles goalies. when you look into him, all you see is good things

now also getting sanford really cuts down on the risk.. so again.. well played mr howson
You know what? I'm excited too. I had the "...who?" moment right after we signed him, but the Preds are top notch when it comes to goalie development. And dude seems like a nice guy,excited to be with us, so bonus.

Socks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 01:18 PM
LetsGOJackets!!

I'm not hoping that DeShow takes the job..

only that he proves he too is a #1A. This allows us flexiblity to keep him by signing, or to trade him if he is that good.

Jonas Hiller wasn't available, so lets ride Mason and DeShow. Howson's choice of backup shows major confidence in Mason. Honestly that is what Mason was looking for.

Come on Steve, this fan believes in you dood. A long shutout streak at the beginning of season puts you right back at the top of league again.

LetsGOJackets!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 01:43 PM
Double-Shift Lassť
Just post better

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goaliemon89 View Post
You heard it here first: Dekanich will overtake the starting job from Mason by December 1st
What do you know about netminding?

Old
07-02-2011, 01:50 PM
JacketsFanWest

I hope Dekanich pans out, but if he doesn't, there's usually some goalies still around come training camp who haven't found anyone who wants them for a starting role and are unwilling to take a backup job or 2 way contract.

The Jackets have a great goalie coach now, and three young goalies who have potential - Mason, Dekanich and York. The best hope for the long-term future of the team is to learn to develop their own goalies so they don't have to pay some ridiculous amount to free-agents.

JacketsFanWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 02:00 PM
Monk

I like this move. I like that it's risky.

Monk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 02:34 PM
Sore Loser
HF Partner

I, for one, am curious to see how Steve Mason comes out to start the season. I think we will see one of two things:

A) Mason continues to **** all over himself, watching a snipe show go on night after night and causing all Blue Jackets fans (including myself) to bang their heads against the wall.

B) Scott Arniel's magic with young players/goaltenders shows us all that he was the perfect coach for the job, and Steve Mason re-establishes himself as a top-tier starter in the NHL for the first time since his rookie season.

Neither will surprise me, but for the NHL in Columbus' sake, I sure hope it's option B. Arniel played a huge part in developing Cory Schneider, and Schneider is looking like a real gem right now.

Sore Loser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 02:54 PM
DougKnowsBest

he must be good... i cant get calgary to trade him to me....

DougKnowsBest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 08:38 PM
Happy Pony

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhydoesCanadahateus View Post
Listening to the Scott Howson press conference, and he said one of the reasons the CBJ let go Garon and signed Dekanich was because Garon caught left handed (same as Mason), and Dekanich catches right handed.
You have it backwards, Mason and Garon are left hand dominant, meaning they catch with their right hand. Dekanich is right hand dominant meaning he catches with his left hand.

Happy Pony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 09:28 PM
USNBluejack

The more I read about this guy the more excited I become. I have a feeling this guy is going to be a absolute beast, and I really believe we have likely picked up a guy that is going to seriously challenge for the number one spot. This dude knows he has one season to prove he's a NHL'er.

USNBluejack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 09:41 PM
Goaliemon89
CBJ's Future CFO

Send a message via ICQ to Goaliemon89 Send a message via AIM to Goaliemon89 Send a message via MSN to Goaliemon89 Send a message via Yahoo to Goaliemon89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Pony View Post
You have it backwards, Mason and Garon are left hand dominant, meaning they catch with their right hand. Dekanich is right hand dominant meaning he catches with his left hand.
Yes...you are correct...but no one uses the term "left/right hand dominant"

The proper goalie lingo for referring to a goalie who catches with his right hand is a "Full Right" Goalie.

Goaliemon89 is offline   Reply With Quote