HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What Now?

Old
07-02-2011, 10:56 AM
bradbirtch
go leafs go

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErnieLeafs View Post
I would take Grigorenko before I'd take Galchenyuk.
You wanna see ELITE skill, Grigorenko or Yakupov are your guys.

Galchenyuk is a close 3rd though, followed by Ryan Murray, Nick Ebert, and Martin Frk.
ya he is so good 2012 draft is going to be epic

bradbirtch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 10:57 AM
Baba Ganoush

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabs View Post
Leave the team as it is and hope we suck enough for a lottery pick.
this is Burke's plan Z.

Baba Ganoush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 10:57 AM
DirtyDion03
**** Brooklyn

People need to stop putting Gagne with Kessel. They are the same player. They both shoot. Won't work well together IMO, I'd rather see Lupul stay there.

DirtyDion03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 10:58 AM
Interactif
Realism ** Optimism

Quote:
Originally Posted by KapG View Post
Gagne AND Connoly? These guys can't stay healthy man. Are we offering them both 1 year deals?

No thanks.
Anyone look at Connelly's injury reports his entire career and if isn't enough to scare people off, then this is truly a desperate fanbase.

Interactif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 10:59 AM
Liferleafer
RIP Mrs Doubtfire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baba Ganoush View Post
this is Burke's plan Z.
This, the notion around here is Burke is to "stand up" to offersheet a player, but he'll knowingly tank? Doubt it.

Liferleafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Vexxed14

The need for an elite 1C was there but not as desperate as people made it out to be. An upgrade on Bozak is really needed, yes.

There are trades to be made and say what you will about Burke, trading is his strong point.

Vexxed14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Doug Gilmour
Leafer Since '95

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmart21 View Post
People need to stop talking about offersheeting. Tampa will match and that will eliminate any chance at us getting Stamkos. If Burke is serious about getting Stamkos, he'll look to go via trade.
+1
Stamkos is out of the picture. Chances of getting him are about the same as getting Obama to smarten up and get rid of that silly Obamacare idea and clean up the financial mess.

Plan B = FAIL FOR NAIL

Doug Gilmour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 11:00 AM
Sam Slick*

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgupca View Post
This,

people worry far too much. Richards was handed a 9 year contract at 31 years of age.

There are still quality guys out there in the UFA market, if we land at least 2 of them it gives us some flexibility to make a few trades.

We have a long summer, and not landing richards isn't such a bad thing.
I am going to assume you said that tongue in cheek.

Burke dropped the ball and where do you think he gets us a 1c now?

Time for some to wake up. I just like that we get our top pick which is bound to be a lottery pick with a good crop of players coming. When we develop our young prospects in a couple of years, we will start to be a constant playoff contender.

Sam Slick* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 11:00 AM
nuck
Axis of Evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dexter Doakes View Post
Just cant see Burke doing nothing, but I wouldnt say that we need huge upgrades in our bottome six. The biggest holes we had, coming into the draft, was a top centre for the Kessel line and a PMD. We filled one of those holes, but as many of us have beem alduding to, the centre spot is a much more difficult position to fill.

I would be OK with Connolly, but not at a long term deal with a hefty cap hit.
I wonder who is left that is better than Brent for that? I think they expected to add someone and didn't get their guy. No to Konopka. Touch and a great faceo off guy but he really can't play. If they didn't already have Brown then maybe, but they can't go with an all-hammerhead fourth line or they will get burned by the complete lack of puck handling.

I am not sure what is too much money or too much term for Connolly. I would have thought 2 years at around 3 million per until yesterday, Now more like 3 years at a bit over 4 million. Keeping in mind they have few other options to spend their coun I guess 3 years at under $4.5per would work for me. Bottom line is they can't roll out their existing group agfain hoping the kids atre suddenly going to break out or Bozak rebounds. Possible but too risky. As long as they can get away without a n/t what is the risk of such a signing compared to the the loss of premium assets in a trade, if that is even doable?

nuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 11:01 AM
Confucius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baba Ganoush View Post
this is Burke's plan Z.
Going by his past record here, it's the only one that will work. Figures it's plan Z

Confucius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
noway

I don't think we should sell the farm to get a #1 centre. If we had Grabovski + 3 Dominic Moore clones down the middle and a coach who could get the players to buy into a defence-first system we would be ok for a year or two until we come across the right deal. The #1 centre we end up with should be young, not 31.

noway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
shakes
Ancient Astronaut

The Leafs better do something soon. To be the only eastern team NOT to sign one player is just sickening. Fine, Richards is gone, put plan B into action ASAP. Most teams do. Once they lose on one thing, they immediately do something else. Shows like they actually had a plan. Doing nothing and saying it's a long summer is unacceptable.

shakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
mstew

Were not getting stamkos, just like we were never getting Richards.

Signing conelly at this point would be stupid. Even with him in the lineup getting into the playoffs will still be a problem. Not to mention it would likely kill our shot at a lottery pick next season.

Wsh, Pit, Philly, Bos, Win, Mtl, NYR will all be better then us next season. We might be able to sneak into 7th or 8th IF grabo - kule - Mac? have a repeat season, and if reimer plays like he did last season.

Now, I hate to see the leafs loose and am against tanking but look at our options :

1. Sign conelly, still probley wont make playoffs

2. Gut our prospect pool to trade for a real 1c.

3. Let frattin, colbourne play, basically tank for a good draft pick.

I hate the idea of tanking, but it is better then missing the playoffs anyway, and having a ****** draft pick.

mstew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 11:02 AM
Theron
#beauty

Send a message via ICQ to Theron Send a message via AIM to Theron Send a message via MSN to Theron Send a message via Yahoo to Theron Send a message via Skype™ to Theron
wouldnt mind picking up gagne on the cheap but I doubt he would want to play here ...

Connolly, Weiss are plugs - I'd rather let the kids play.. Burkie really has to pull something out of his ass.

Theron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Persuasion
Keep Kulie

Burke is going to sign someone. He has to... the Leafs are under the salary floor ATM

Persuasion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Sam Slick*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heroic View Post
+1
Stamkos is out of the picture. Chances of getting him are about the same as getting Obama to smarten up and get rid of that silly Obamacare idea and clean up the financial mess.

Plan B = FAIL FOR NAIL
Agreed. If Tampa had been able to get Richards, it would have been a tight squeeze for Stamkos. Now it just a formality. Tampa IS NOT going to give up one of the top 3 centers in the league.

I am with you. People just need to realize that. If they dont, they are in for another heart break.

Old
07-02-2011, 11:03 AM
PresidentCamacho*

Trim fat from the team.

Let Macarthur walk, trade Grabo at deadline. Maybe sign Connolly if we can get a cheap, long-term deal.

Draft a stud next year.

PresidentCamacho* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
iPunch
50 Mission Cap

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakes View Post
The Leafs better do something soon. To be the only eastern team NOT to sign one player is just sickening. Fine, Richards is gone, put plan B into action ASAP. Most teams do. Once they lose on one thing, they immediately do something else. Shows like they actually had a plan. Doing nothing and saying it's a long summer is unacceptable.
So you want to sign someone just for the sake of signing someone? That's pretty stupid.

And what about Liles, is he chopped liver now?

iPunch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
bberard34

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetruth99 View Post
Max offer sheet for Stamkos. Burke get your *** to Toronto and do something before you get crucified
LOL at this guy.

bberard34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
catgoldfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schenn View Post
Gagne for 2 years.
Connolly for 1 year.
Maybe Drury for 1 year.

Hopefully.
Man all those guys are injury prone.........think we waited too long or we didn't offer enough money or term. Slim picking now not sure if these leftovers will help us enough. We need and backup goalie (Vokoun). Center...????? another joke of a year. Same team same result. Hopefully Reimer holds up.

catgoldfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 11:04 AM
Interactif
Realism ** Optimism

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liferleafer View Post
I agree, but at this point you have to ask yourself, do you give up 4 unknowns or Schenn,Kuli,Kadri and possibly a pick? Stamkos WILL NOT come cheap via trade.
It's going to be a painful year, we can't make the playoffs, and we are just good enough to miss Yakupov, Fryk or Grigorenko. Like I said this cycle has got to end.

Interactif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suntouchable13 View Post
Yea, but missing the playoffs again next season is unacceptable.
Tell that to Burke, he is the one driving the Bus and controls the teams fate.

Sam Slick*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Persuasion View Post
Burke is going to sign someone. He has to... the Leafs are under the salary floor ATM
No they are not, but I agree. They have to sign someone. The floor is 43 and change. I never thought I would see the day we were this close to the floor though.

Old
07-02-2011, 11:05 AM
DatsyukianDeke
Dangle Dangle

Hockey Break
The Maple #Leafs have been pushing equally as hard for a different top line player. Richards was not the only option.

Pavel Datsyuk

DatsyukianDeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 11:06 AM
sgupca

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Slick View Post
I am going to assume you said that tongue in cheek.

Burke dropped the ball and where do you think he gets us a 1c now?

Time for some to wake up. I just like that we get our top pick which is bound to be a lottery pick with a good crop of players coming. When we develop our young prospects in a couple of years, we will start to be a constant playoff contender.
not trying to sound overly rude, but you guys are all over the 2012 draft all ready. Richards is a star player, but is he 'elite' enough to make us a strong enough team to compete for the cup?

Don't get me wrong, i would have loved if he had picked us, but most of us knew he woudln't. There are other options, and if anyone has read Nonis reports this morning we'd know that the leafs are still after some UFAs and are looking into the trade route.

lets stop worrying right now, like i said earlier we have a long summer. It's only July 2nd.

sgupca is offline   Reply With Quote