HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Red Wings vs Penguins (10.18.03)

Closed Thread

Old
10-18-2003, 08:31 PM
Wingboy2999

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Wingboy2999 Send a message via Yahoo to Wingboy2999
I zinged you guys good with that one, lol. I couldn't help myself.

Old
10-18-2003, 08:35 PM
DJ Spinoza

We will have oodles of fun with Ovechkin, and Fleury, for years to come.

Remember this Wings fans, there ain't nothing you can do to us now. We won the series for this year.

Here's hoping you don't face the Ducks again.:p

Old
10-18-2003, 08:39 PM
Wingboy2999

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKnowNothing
We will have oodles of fun with Ovechkin, and Fleury, for years to come.

Remember this Wings fans, there ain't nothing you can do to us now. We won the series for this year.

Here's hoping you don't face the Ducks again.:p
Maybe not directly but we can still indirectly. Like we beat the Kings and the Kings beat you so therefore..... I love using logic like that.

At this rate, we won't be able to face the Ducks. HA! Good job Fedorov!

Old
10-18-2003, 08:46 PM
Wingboy2999

Oh yeah, did anyone catch who the Pens player that went to check a Wing player late in the 3rd, completely missed and ran right into the area of the glass with the camera behind it? I thought that was funny. It was late in the 3rd.

Old
10-18-2003, 08:47 PM
DJ Spinoza

Yeah, I remember that. It might have been Bergevin.

Old
10-19-2003, 12:43 PM
GoPenguins

I think its safe to say we'll rarely be satisfied totally with the referees and the calling of penalties. However, it is perfectly reasonable to expect or ask for consistancy. If a cross check is called a cross check in the 1st period, it should still be called one in the third. I find it hard to beleive that the Wings and Pens played an almost penalty-free third period whenthey barely managed to play 3 minuts in the first without a penalty being called.

Oh...and whilst I admit the Pens probably got away with a couple of calls, I was amazed nothing was called on the hit on Dan Focht which knocked him senseless. I know it was in the last minute or so, but his head was slammed into the boards face first. I woulda thought that constituted a boarding penalty, not to mention the fact it drew a lot of blood. It was good so see Focht get up, albeit woozily. Seeing him lying prone and unmoving was not a pleasant sight.

Old
10-20-2003, 04:09 AM
Der Schweinehund

Quote:
I think its safe to say we'll rarely be satisfied totally with the referees and the calling of penalties. However, it is perfectly reasonable to expect or ask for consistancy.
Totally agree. I think there are two underlying problems that affect consistency.

1) Two referees. I don't know if they do it on purpose or if it is subliminal, but why is it that every single time one referee calls two or three legitimate, absolutely-100% penalties in a row against one team, the other referee is virtually guaranteed to make a much more marginal call against the opposing team. Remove the 2nd referee, give the linesmen the power to call certain penalties - like obstruction related.

2) Whistle goes away in last half of third & OT. Be consistent - call it all, regardless of when it happens.

Saturday night was fun to watch for refs. I was watching the Pen game of course - seeing them make call, after call (after call, after call, etc) and listening to Mickey Redmond whine each time.

Then during intermissions and stoppages I flipped to the Habs/Leafs and watched Jason Ward two hand players no less than four times, including knocking some of Ric Jackman's teeth out, and I think he was only penalized a couple of times.

And in the late game, I watched the Oilers/Avs including one of the most bizarre calls I have ever seen. Oilers are killing a penalty - at the same time the refs arm goes up for another penalty (with a few ticks left) the Avs score. The Oiler player (Smyth) goes to the box for hooking. Reasoner who was serving the penalty comes out of the box and Smyth goes in. I checked the rule book and in such a case the new penalty being called while the player is in the box, the new penalty is nullified and the player in the box continues to serve the rest of the penalty. But the argument was put out that Smyth's hook came after the goal - thus Reasoner's penalty was nullified and Smyth went to the box for two minutes - giving the Avs an exended PP that they did not deserve. I have seen plenty of roughing/unsportsman/etc. penalties taken after the stoppage - but hooking?? How do you hook a player after the play has technically stopped?? I don't know...

Closed Thread