HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Construct Your Lines

Old
07-02-2011, 01:44 AM
Bishop7979

vCash: 500
It's weird, the roster feels like it's really in a state of flux, but in reality nothing has really changed. Mostly I'm unsure what to do with both Jeffery and Letestu. Both have proven the belong in the NHL, but neither are really typical fourth liners. I guess Jeffery, due to his size, could probably play there, but we've seen the kid has skills that would probably be wasted playing with adams and asham every night.

With the way some of the interviews with DB sound, we may see TK being a top six guy and see some of the more unpopular line combos this year, aka anything but the three center model, if so I could see Sullivan being pushed down to the third line.

So combos created with DB's "I'm off my meds approach."

Top 6 variations
the "two headed monster" approach:

Neal Sid Geno---- Kunitz Sid Geno
Kunitz Staal TK---- Neal Staal TK

The "Stalkin" Method:

Kunitz Sid TK---- Kunitz Sid Neal
Neal Staal Geno---- Staal Geno TK

Bottom 6 variations

Sullivan Letstu Dupers----Sullivan Letestu Jeffery----Cooke Letestu Sullivan
Cooke Jeffery Adams---- Cooke Adams Dupers----Dupers Jeffery Adams
Asham---- Asham---- Asham

In reality though... I think DB loves our first and third lines too much to break em up. So we'll probably get:

Kunitz Sid Dupers
Neal Geno Sullivan
Cooke Staal TK
Jeffery Letestu Adams
Asham

Bishop7979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 01:49 AM
Bishop7979

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnlyTheBrave View Post
Bylsma talks about how Jeffrey, Johnson and Vitale have a spot to fight for as well...where is that spot?
I felt that once Jeffery got his call up that DB was a much bigger fan of him than Letestu, maybe letestu's spot is up for grabs in DBs mind. It would have to be a bottom six role, and really given Letestu's size and lack of real physical play that spot would probably be better filled with any of the above guys named.

Bishop7979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 02:17 AM
Coach John McGuirk
Bylstarded

What will probably happen:

Kunitz - Crosby - Dupuis
Neal - Malkin - Sullivan
Cooke - Staal - Kennedy
Asham - Letestu - Adams
Vitale

What I'd like to see:

Kunitz - Crosby - Kennedy
Neal - Malkin - Sullivan
Cooke - Staal - Dupuis
Asham - Letestu - Adams
Vitale

Coach John McGuirk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 08:12 AM
Mr Jiggyfly

Kunitz Crosby Neal looks like a great line to me...

Mr Jiggyfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 08:39 AM
froods
Millerrrrrrr!!!

Quote:
Bylsma talks about how Jeffrey, Johnson and Vitale have a spot to fight for as well...where is that spot?
13th forward?

froods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 08:57 AM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt's Best #87 #66 View Post
I really thought my post would generate more discussion so far. I'm sure we are going to see a lot of different combinations over the season but you hardly ever see a Kunitz-Sid-Neal line because it puts someone "out of position".
Quote:
I doubt Sullivan was signed to toil on the 3rd line. As for Neal as a right winger, holy crap...I'm not even going to bother with this team and the people that have a hard on for playing guys out of position just to stack 1 line.
Sullivan is a left wing too. Someone is going to play out of position.

I expect lines to be fairly fluid this year. 3 centers, 2 headed monster and Staalkin will all be seen often.

Ogrezilla is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 10:08 AM
JordanStaal#1Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrezilla View Post
Sullivan is a left wing too. Someone is going to play out of position.

I expect lines to be fairly fluid this year. 3 centers, 2 headed monster and Staalkin will all be seen often.
Neal practiced on a line with Sid and Kunitz during the playoffs. Perhaps the plan still is to play him on the RW.

With that in mind, there are two options for Bylsma, IMO.

"Staalkin"

Kunitz - Crosby - Neal
Sullivan - Staal - Malkin
Cooke - Letestu - Kennedy
Asham - Adams - Dupuis

"Three center model"

Kunitz - Crosby - Neal
Sullivan - Malkin - Kennedy
Cooke - Staal - Dupuis
Asham - Letestu - Adams

I'm not a big "staalkin" fan, but it might be the best solution if you want Sid to play with Kunitz and Neal. That gives Geno two good players who can give him some space and create some things on their own. It would also give Sullivan two big bodies to work with. He is a smallish guy and could use the space Geno and Staal can create for him. As for the third line, Letestu proved he could be a good third line center and we all know what Cooke and Kennedy can do.

My biggest concern with that model is that Staal won't be used as a shutdown center and I feel that it is in that position that he helps our team the most. Staal, Cooke, Kennedy, Martin and Michalek against the Ovechkins of the world is what I want to see so Geno and Sid can take advantage of "weaker" match ups. But DB isn't much of a match up coach anyways.

JordanStaal#1Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 10:12 AM
WarriorScholar

I still like Jeffrey over Letestu.

WarriorScholar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 10:14 AM
JordanStaal#1Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyTwoTimes View Post
I still like Jeffrey over Letestu.
Jeffrey might be a better player, but I think Letestu is a "better" fourth liner.

Shero will have to make some moves because we will lose guys to the waiver wire. Depth is a good thing, but you can't have a guy like Jeffrey in the stands every other night.

Old
07-02-2011, 10:17 AM
MrBurgundy*
Time to move forward

Quote:
That's what I want to know as well, especially if the reports are true about them wanting to add an enforcer as well as a defensive minded center.

MrBurgundy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 10:21 AM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanStaal#1Fan View Post
Neal practiced on a line with Sid and Kunitz during the playoffs. Perhaps the plan still is to play him on the RW.

With that in mind, there are two options for Bylsma, IMO.

"Staalkin"

Kunitz - Crosby - Neal
Sullivan - Staal - Malkin
Cooke - Letestu - Kennedy
Asham - Adams - Dupuis

"Three center model"

Kunitz - Crosby - Neal
Sullivan - Malkin - Kennedy
Cooke - Staal - Dupuis
Asham - Letestu - Adams

I'm not a big "staalkin" fan, but it might be the best solution if you want Sid to play with Kunitz and Neal. That gives Geno two good players who can give him some space and create some things on their own. It would also give Sullivan two big bodies to work with. He is a smallish guy and could use the space Geno and Staal can create for him. As for the third line, Letestu proved he could be a good third line center and we all know what Cooke and Kennedy can do.

My biggest concern with that model is that Staal won't be used as a shutdown center and I feel that it is in that position that he helps our team the most. Staal, Cooke, Kennedy, Martin and Michalek against the Ovechkins of the world is what I want to see so Geno and Sid can take advantage of "weaker" match ups. But DB isn't much of a match up coach anyways.
I have a feeling we see a mix. For one thing, Sullivan isn't going to be playing 20 minutes a game. But he should be on our powerplay. That means he will probably take shifts off 5v5, probably giving Staal or Malkin a double shift to get them their extra ice time.

Old
07-02-2011, 10:46 AM
JordanStaal#1Fan

Quote:
I have a feeling we see a mix. For one thing, Sullivan isn't going to be playing 20 minutes a game. But he should be on our powerplay. That means he will probably take shifts off 5v5, probably giving Staal or Malkin a double shift to get them their extra ice time.
Yeah, I agree. Plus, we know for a fact that Sid and Geno will see plenty of time on the ice together when the situation calls for it.

Old
07-02-2011, 11:06 AM
Mr Jiggyfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelTownFever View Post
That's what I want to know as well, especially if the reports are true about them wanting to add an enforcer as well as a defensive minded center.
I am supremely confident Vitale will be the 4th line center by the end of the season. He is just a bad mofo and once he gets his shot again, he won't be sent back down. I don't see anyone who can play that role anywhere close to the level he will.

Jeffrey was starting to level off before he got hurt, but people keep forgetting that.

When Jeffrey is ready to go, he is going to have to put someone up in the press box, just like Tangradi is going to have to do. When injuries hit, they have to make it impossible to take them out of the lineup.

We'll see if both are ready.

Johnson and Letestu are two guys I am not sure what role they will play... unless Letestu is playing as the third pivot.

Mr Jiggyfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 11:24 AM
mpp9

It's very interesting that Bylsma came out basically saying Neal is a perfect fit for Crosby. That's pretty **** in my mind if he sticks both kunitz and neal with him leaving scraps again for geno. Maybe Staalkin will be more the norm or tangradi can break into the lineup. I don't think any of us will know what the lineup will be until the puck drops, it seems we're going to be trying everything.

mpp9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 11:31 AM
Boocock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Jiggyfly View Post
Jeffrey was starting to level off before he got hurt, but people keep forgetting that.
Exactly. Consider Letestu's run of success early in 2010-2011, before the injury. If his season had been cut off at that, people would be supporting Letestu as much as they are Jeffrey.

Although Dustin is a 30+ point scorer with potential for 40+, he won't reach 50+. He's a lot like Kennedy in that regard. His main advantage is that he is more likely to be able to transition from Center to Wing, unlike Mark Letestu.

Personally, I don't think you can have enough depth. Perhaps the easiest solution is to play Mark Letestu and Dustin Jeffrey on the same line.

Boocock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 11:35 AM
Jacob

Quote:
I agree with this. You'll probably see guys like Asham and Dupuis take the odd shift on the top lines based on different in-game situations.

Jacob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 01:24 PM
maxpenguins6630

Neal- Staal - Malkin
Cooke - Letestu - Johnson
Dupuis- Vitale- Adams

Sullivan, Asham

Or

Kunitz- Crosby- Johnson
Neal- Malkin- Kennedy
Cooke- Staal- Dupuis
Sullivan- Vitale- Adams

Asham, Letestu

I'd give the chance to some young guns that paid their dues in the minors...

maxpenguins6630 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 01:25 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxpenguins6630 View Post
Neal- Staal - Malkin
Cooke - Letestu - Johnson
Dupuis- Vitale- Adams

Sullivan, Asham

Or

Kunitz- Crosby- Johnson
Neal- Malkin- Kennedy
Cooke- Staal- Dupuis
Sullivan- Vitale- Adams

Asham, Letestu

I'd give the chance to some young guns that paid their dues in the minors...
so you would purposely put a worse team on the ice to give the young guys a chance?

Old
07-02-2011, 01:32 PM
maxpenguins6630

Quote:
so you would purposely put a worse team on the ice to give the young guys a chance?
I really believe in Johnson and Vitale and you switch both with Asham and Sullivan and you think you are way way way better... I am not sure about that... I believe in those two... Vitale is a gritty player and Johnson to me can be a 40 points to 50 points guy in the next two years... Big body 6-1 and 200 pounds... You ahve to believe in your young players coming from the farm... You have to develop and give experience to your young guys...

Look: Bickell with Chicago ? Boyle in NYR ? Purcell in TB ?

Do you need more ?

Old
07-02-2011, 01:39 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
I really believe in Johnson and Vitale and you switch both with Asham and Sullivan and you think you are way way way better... I am not sure about that... I believe in those two... Vitale is a gritty player and Johnson to me can be a 40 points to 50 points guy in the next two years... Big body 6-1 and 200 pounds... You ahve to believe in your young players coming from the farm... You have to develop and give experience to your young guys...

Look: Bickell with Chicago ? Boyle in NYR ? Purcell in TB ?

Do you need more ?
I do actually think Vitale could end up taking a 4th line spot by the end of the year. Johnson is also a decent player, but why would we sit a 40-50 point player just to give a guy a chance to maybe turn into a 40-50 point player? If he outplays him at camp or something by all means give him the spot. Don't give it to him because he deserves it for all of his hard work. Give it to him when he's one of the 12 best forwards on the team.

Old
07-02-2011, 01:40 PM
maxpenguins6630

Whats is also funny... Sullivan plays 4th line minutes in the playoffs for the PReds last year and you think he'll make some miracles in Pittsburgh...

Old
07-02-2011, 01:42 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Whats is also funny... Sullivan plays 4th line minutes in the playoffs for the PReds last year and you think he'll make some miracles in Pittsburgh...
He had just come back from surgery

Old
07-02-2011, 01:42 PM
maxpenguins6630

Quote:
I do actually think Vitale could end up taking a 4th line spot by the end of the year. Johnson is also a decent player, but why would we sit a 40-50 point player just to give a guy a chance to maybe turn into a 40-50 point player? If he outplays him at camp or something by all means give him the spot. Don't give it to him because he deserves it for all of his hard work. Give it to him when he's one of the 12 best forwards on the team.
I agree with you but not sure Shero will do this...

I mean Therien told on RDS the other day... Usually a GM consults his coach when he hires a free agent... But Ray didn'T consult MT when he hired Satan... MT didn't want him...

Old
07-02-2011, 01:43 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
I agree with you but not sure Shero will do this...

I mean Therien told on RDS the other day... Usually a GM consults his coach when he hires a free agent... But Ray didn'T consult MT when he hired Satan... MT didn't want him...
Kennedy, Staal and Letang got their spots on the team by earning them. None of them were penciled in to start the year before camp. Staal made it from camp. Letang and TK came in for injuries and never went back down. So Shero has done this. If they prove they are in the top 12 forwards, they should be playing.

Old
07-02-2011, 01:45 PM
maxpenguins6630

Quote:
Kennedy, Staal and Letang got their spots on the team by earning them. None of them were penciled in to start the year before camp. Staal made it from camp. Letang and TK came in for injuries and never went back down.
Hope sam thing happen for Vitale and Johnson...