HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Glen Sather

Old
07-02-2011, 12:37 PM
Kel Varnsen
Below: Nash's Heart

vCash: 500
Glen Sather

On top of all the other great stuff he's been doing since the lockout, now he manages to get his UFA without overpaying him. Anyone still think he's no different than he was pre-lockout?

Kel Varnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 12:39 PM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kel Varnsen View Post
On top of all the other great stuff he's been doing since the lockout, now he manages to get his UFA without overpaying him. Anyone still think he's no different than he was pre-lockout?
I think this is a good thread to start.

I really think he has improved every year. He has made mistakes along the way but he has followed them up with some great maneuvering. He has done amazing job imo.

RGY is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 12:41 PM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

Sather still overpaid him, just not in dollars. 9 years is a ridiculous length.

That being said, I still like the job he's done in the offseason for the last 3 years running now beginning with the Gomez-Gaborik moves.

Also, we still need to see what the NMC/NTC structure is.

Tawnos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
KingWantsCup
Super Saiyan Hank

vCash: 350
He's learning, dare I say it.

KingWantsCup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
JeffMangum
I'm v

vCash: 50
I've been impressed with his improvement since 2007. He showed restraint with Richards, and let the UFA decide himself to sign here instead of deciding for him by giving him much more than everyone else.

Never been this confident in Glen. 'Course, he'll go and sign Gagne to a 5/25M deal to ruin it, but I'm happy.

07-02-2011, 12:42 PM
beastly115

Honestly, I think he learned his lesson.

He started off with Gomez, who was traded relatively easily and got a good return. Slats still thinks he's invincible.

Then Redden. Tried trading him for months and had no takers and eventually demotes him to Hartford. Slats was sweating here.

Then Drury. Tried to buy him out but Drury tried to put up a fight. We couldn't demote him so how do we get this guy off the roster to sign Richards? Drury caves and accepts the buy out. This one had Slats peeing himself.

It's been getting more and more difficult to get out of the terrible contracts he's given out. I think he learned his lesson.

beastly115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 12:44 PM
azrok22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Boyle View Post
I've been impressed with his improvement since 2007. He showed retraint with Richards, and let the UFA decide himself to sign here instead of deciding for him by giving him much more than everyone else.

Never been this confident in Glen. 'Course, he'll go and sign Gagne to a 5/25M deal to ruin it, but I'm happy.
He definitely does not get enough credit.

However, he's usually good for one bad UFA signing per off-season, so I'm also still a bit nervous. Hopefully, the "bad" signing was Rupp, who is really only overpaid by a few hundred thousand dollars.

azrok22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 12:45 PM
Machinehead
Siez and toffnuss!

Great improvement form Sather. Still needs a Cup to be a success; that's something I'd like to see

Machinehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 12:47 PM
17futurecap

I think Torts was a big help in saying listen you're not winning here without your own prospects stepping up to the big club. Do we have two big contracts who were UFA'S? Yes, but look at the youth on the blue line as well as the forwards who are progressing from year to year, as well as the steal of the lifetime in getting Lundqvist that late. GM is doing a good job, coach is, as well as Gordie and Gorton, and there line of scouts.

17futurecap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

His management created a circumstance by which the only chance that this team had at competing any time soon was to be able to sign this one free agent (who is not without risks), and even then, it is the presence of the coach that probably played the biggest factor in the player coming here. Had the signing not happened, this team would have been ****ed. That's a good job? We could have had Kovalchuk if we showed restraint for one year, but instead we got a worse and injury prone player in Gaborik, too. If it wasn't for Dolan's moneybags, Redden would still be a problem.

Hey, anything is better than giving out the worst contracts in NHL history (which we are only 3-4 years removed from). Good job? At best, you can say he's finally learning how to use the monumental advantages that he has over virtually every other team. But he certainly hasn't gone above and beyond that.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

As good as he's been recently, he'll never be a good GM.

We should've won a cup this decade. We're a New York team.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 12:49 PM
Kel Varnsen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawnos View Post
Sather still overpaid him, just not in dollars. 9 years is a ridiculous length.

That being said, I still like the job he's done in the offseason for the last 3 years running now beginning with the Gomez-Gaborik moves.

Also, we still need to see what the NMC/NTC structure is.
The term is just the way of doing business in today's market. The last few years are even being called "throw away years" by TSN. He will have made 50 million after five years, after that he won't stick around for only 8 more over four years if he can't play at a high level. The 9 years is just to lower the cap hit.

Old
07-02-2011, 12:50 PM
Pizza

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingWantsCup View Post
He's learning, dare I say it.
Never to old to learn a new trick. Gives me hope for myself, LOL.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 12:51 PM
New York RKY
Let's Go Rangers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Boyle View Post
I've been impressed with his improvement since 2007. He showed restraint with Richards, and let the UFA decide himself to sign here instead of deciding for him by giving him much more than everyone else.

Well said.

He has really developed restraint to a degree after the Redden, Gomez, Drury signings.

Gaborik wasn't a bad contract to hand out. Richards contract is long, but he's almost getting paid what someone like Wisniewski and Leino is getting so I'm thrilled.

He has done great fixing his trades.

His drafting has been pretty decent.

Honestly, ever since that fire sather rally I really don't have anything to complain about. I like the direction this team is headed in and we have a really bright future.

07-02-2011, 12:53 PM
Kel Varnsen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting36e View Post
His management created a circumstance by which the only chance that this team had at competing any time soon was to be able to sign this one free agent (who is not without risks), and even then, it is the presence of the coach that probably played the biggest factor in the player coming here. Had the signing not happened, this team would have been ****ed. That's a good job? We could have had Kovalchuk if we showed restraint for one year, but instead we got a worse and injury prone player in Gaborik, too. If it wasn't for Dolan's moneybags, Redden would still be a problem.

Hey, anything is better than giving out the worst contracts in NHL history (which we are only 3-4 years removed from). Good job? At best, you can say he's finally learning how to use the monumental advantages that he has over virtually every other team. But he certainly hasn't gone above and beyond that.
But it did happen. I always hate those arguments. "Well if the good things that happened didn't happen things would be bad." Okay yeah, good point. But the good things did happen...

Old
Barbara Underhill
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
As good as he's been recently, he'll never be a good GM.

We should've won a cup this decade. We're a New York team.
Where does this logic come from?

Since the beginning the Rangers haven't been a Cup per decade team.

Barbara Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Panfork
Pacioretty Hater

Slats has self-medicated himself by running out and overpaying 4th liners every year to get it out of his system. This way, he still gets to make dumb overpayments, but with less consequences.

Panfork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
GregNYR19
agitator

Send a message via AIM to GregNYR19
we still need a dman, we need to sign cally/dubi/anisimov/possibly boyle and fill in another spot lets see what happens

GregNYR19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 12:56 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
But it did happen. I always hate those arguments. "Well if the good things that happened didn't happen things would be bad." Okay yeah, good point. But the good things did happen...
So you think it's good management to paint yourself into the corner, leave yourself with one out, and essentially get lucky?

Boy, you should never bring any significant amount of money to a poker table.

Yeah, the good thing happened. You're talking about it as if Sather planned it all along this way. He got lucky that Richards was a free agent this season. He got lucky that Richards has a relationship with Tortorella. And he damn well lucked out in the sense that he runs the team in the most desirable location and with the most money to toss around. Because if it wasn't for the neverending money, Redden would still be here, and Richards would not.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 12:57 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tube Sock View Post
Where does this logic come from?

Since the beginning the Rangers haven't been a Cup per decade team.
We've made the finals plenty of times, though.

With Dolan's pockets we should've been in contention pre-lockout, and without gomez and drury we probably would have a guy like Toews or Kane, even Tavares or Stamkos.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 12:58 PM
Machinehead
Siez and toffnuss!

Quote:
"If you guys didn't have Henrik..."

Old
07-02-2011, 12:59 PM
KingWantsCup
Super Saiyan Hank

vCash: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
We've made the finals plenty of times, though.

With Dolan's pockets we should've been in contention pre-lockout, and without gomez and drury we probably would have a guy like Toews or Kane, even Tavares or Stamkos.
It's not too late!

KingWantsCup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 12:59 PM
Machinehead
Siez and toffnuss!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panfork View Post
Slats has self-medicated himself by running out and overpaying 4th liners every year to get it out of his system. This way, he still gets to make dumb overpayments, but with less consequences.
That must be it....genius!

Old
07-02-2011, 01:01 PM
Vitto79

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragshockey88 View Post
we still need a dman, we need to sign cally/dubi/anisimov/possibly boyle and fill in another spot lets see what happens
steady as she goes. Things are looking up. We have a nice group of Forwards building up. Good young D that should get better, Fantastic G and a real nice minor league system

1 step at a time. If they can even just go with this group then rent a Winger at the deadline we should look good

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 01:03 PM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

Quote:
The term is just the way of doing business in today's market. The last few years are even being called "throw away years" by TSN. He will have made 50 million after five years, after that he won't stick around for only 8 more over four years if he can't play at a high level. The 9 years is just to lower the cap hit.
Totally understand that. The UFA market always forces overpayment in some way. This is no different. I'm not criticizing Sather because I've been an advocate of "do what you have to in order to get Richards"... I'm just saying it's an overpayment.

Tawnos is offline   Reply With Quote