HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Expectations

View Poll Results: Where do you think we will be in the standings?
#1 in Eastern Conference 7 7.53%
#2-3 in Eastern Conference 7 7.53%
#4-6 in Eastern Conference 74 79.57%
7-8 in Eastern Coference 2 2.15%
MISSES PLAYOFFS 3 3.23%
Voters: 93. You may not vote on this poll

Old
07-02-2011, 11:47 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miamipuck View Post
Optimistically, a tier better than last year. Instead of 7-10 probably middle of the playoff road, @ 4-7.

Serious Cup contenders? I don't think so.
agreed...however if they can figure out a way to get 1 more elite forward, id say we are legitimate cup contenders.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 11:48 AM
Vitto79

likely finish middle of pack in the East but I expect to go far in the playoffs

Cup within the next 4 yrs is my hope

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 11:56 AM
MorrisWanchuk

we'll we've been bumming around 7-9 for a while.

i'd optimistically say around 4-5. don't want to go more crazy than that just yet.

MorrisWanchuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 11:57 AM
RidinwitdaKING

next 6 Years
3 Eastern Conf Finals, 2 SC Finals and 1 Stanley Cup!

RidinwitdaKING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 12:01 PM
Miamipuck
Al Swearengen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
agreed...however if they can figure out a way to get 1 more elite forward, id say we are legitimate cup contenders.
Agreed, but it does make me more excited for 3-4 years down the road, when I think this team will be perennial contenders. The majority of the roster will be nearer their collective peaks, save the 4-5 (+ or -) that will be over or under.

Miamipuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 12:13 PM
Kel Varnsen
Below: Nash's Heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
the east is getting better every day. Especially the Atlantic. Going to be tough to win the division, but this definitely makes the Rangers a higher playoff team imo, one that could contend for home ice.

Listen, A lot of teams will compete for conference next season.

BOS - you gotta give them the top spot, they won the friggin cup.
PIT - With a healthy Crosby and Malkin a great move with Sullivan they will be dangerous again.
TB - Pretty damn good last season, and theyll be there again - except they are getting older. (St. Louis and Lecavalier
NJD - With a healthy Parise and the way they finished last season, watch out. Suspect goaltending though.
PHI - I have no idea what to make of this team. Could be really good, could be completely out of sorts. A large turnover takes a while to generate chemistry but the have some talent and a goalie now.
WASH - made some good moves and they are always at the top.
MON - They are just as good as any of these teams imo, Price is another year developed and Cole was a nice addition to their system.
BUF - they arent done yet. Complete retool and they have a goalie whos coming off a sub-par year. They are going to be a tough squad to play against.

And then you have the Rangers. I dont think you can put them in the Cup conversation yet. Theyve definitely improved and if the defense grows up a little more and provides some offense - plus Hank does his usual thing... i dont see why they cant make a run.

But the parity in this league is striking. Any one of those teams has a shot to get hot at the right time imo. and im leaving off the Canes who have a guy in Ward who can single handedly do it all himself.
I just want to dispel this notion people have about Ryan Miller being a top notch goalie for Buffalo. Seriously, look up his career numbers. He has had 1 elite year. That's it. One. And he's not a kid anymore, he'll be 31 next year. Elite goalies aren't mediocre every year but one. Miller is solid, but by no means elite. His rep is just distorted because in the middle of his one good year we watched him play for team USA.

Kel Varnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 12:14 PM
NYwRiter94

Quote:
last year the Rangers had 1 player score over 50 pts...this year youre saying we'll have 6? with 2 guys at 80?

thats 1st in the conference buddy.
Gaborik is one year removed from an 86 point season. Assuming he's even a little healthier than he was this year, who's to say he won't do that again, considering he now has a #1 Center?

Richards is an addition. Of course he didn't count towards our 50+ club last year.

If Cally and Dubi played all 82 last year, they would have had 56 and 58 points, respectively. They can't add a few more (especially if they get some time on the PP and with Gabby/Richards)?

Stepan and Anisimov are two extremely young players with tons of upside. To not expect a 5 point increase from each is ridiculous.

The Hurricanes had 5 50+, 2 60+ and 1 70+ last year, and a top 10 goaltender, and they didn't make the playoffs. Those point totals we're expecting aren't astronomical.

NYwRiter94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 12:17 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kel Varnsen View Post
I just want to dispel this notion people have about Ryan Miller being a top notch goalie for Buffalo. Seriously, look up his career numbers. He has had 1 elite year. That's it. One. And he's not a kid anymore, he'll be 31 next year. Elite goalies aren't mediocre every year but one. Miller is solid, but by no means elite. His rep is just distorted because in the middle of his one good year we watched him play for team USA.
fair enough, you could be right about that. He is decent though. I would say that Ward is better. Love Cam Ward.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 12:27 PM
we want cup
We do not Sow

Quote:
last year the Rangers had 1 player score over 50 pts...this year youre saying we'll have 6? with 2 guys at 80?

thats 1st in the conference buddy.
I actually don't think those projections are far off, barring injury. Dubi and Cally both projected to 60 points, factoring in the time they missed. Stepan and AA were both close, and should see an uptick in production considering they'll be facing fewer top defense pairs, and will be part of a better PP. Gabby and Richards should both score plenty playing together if they can stay healthy.

RANGERS =
we want cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 12:31 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Expectations? A better PP for starters. More consistent scoring, perhaps? Continued improvement overall.

jas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 12:38 PM
silverfish
Mr. Glass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kel Varnsen View Post
I have the pleasure of watching Miller around 30 times a season, he is as elite as people believe he is, no doubt a top 5 goalie in the league.

Without him Buffalo falls apart and that's not something you can say about every team and their goalie.

That being said you're right, he's only getting older...but as far as his career numbers go they don't do him justice.

He's much better than that 2.57 career GAA says he is and his .915sv% is just .003 less than Hanks .918.

Also interesting to note that I know a lot of people in Buffalo who are fed up with Miller, but I'm 100% positive that was just shiny new toy syndrome when Enroth started getting good playing time.

silverfish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 12:42 PM
THOR77

CAPGEEK.COM CAP CALCULATOR

FORWARDS
Mats Zuccarello-Aasen ($1.750m) / Brad Richards ($6.500m) / Marian Gaborik ($7.500m)
Brandon Dubinsky ($3.850m) / Artem Anisimov ($1.850m) / Ryan Callahan ($3.700m)
Wojtek Wolski ($3.800m) / Derek Stepan ($0.875m) / Christian Thomas ($0.838m)
Ruslan Fedotenko ($1.400m) / Brian Boyle ($1.250m) / Brandon Prust ($0.800m)
Michael Rupp ($1.500m)

DEFENSEMEN
Marc Staal ($3.975m) / Daniel Girardi ($3.325m)
Ryan McDonagh ($1.300m) / Tomas Kaberle ($4.000m)
Michael Del Zotto ($1.087m) / Mike Sauer ($1.000m)
/ Tim Erixon ($1.750m)

GOALTENDERS
Henrik Lundqvist ($6.875m) / Martin Biron ($0.875m)

BUYOUTS: Chris Drury ($3.716m)

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $63,517,500; BONUSES: $2,337,500
CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $782,500

with a line up like this Ranger will be fun to watch again
top 5 team in league
Power play if we get ( Tomas Kaberle ) SICK ....
and yes ranger are trying to get tomas kaberle
will be a fun year for Ranger

Last edited by THOR77: 07-02-2011 at 12:48 PM.
THOR77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 12:55 PM
DutchShamrock

With the cba expiring and out glut of assets we'll get the PMD and top winger we need. No team is complete top to bottom. You can contend for a cup with a few good breaks.

DutchShamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 01:10 PM
sousuffer

Where is Avery?

Quote:
Originally Posted by THOR77 View Post
CAPGEEK.COM CAP CALCULATOR

FORWARDS
Mats Zuccarello-Aasen ($1.750m) / Brad Richards ($6.500m) / Marian Gaborik ($7.500m)
Brandon Dubinsky ($3.850m) / Artem Anisimov ($1.850m) / Ryan Callahan ($3.700m)
Wojtek Wolski ($3.800m) / Derek Stepan ($0.875m) / Christian Thomas ($0.838m)
Ruslan Fedotenko ($1.400m) / Brian Boyle ($1.250m) / Brandon Prust ($0.800m)
Michael Rupp ($1.500m)

DEFENSEMEN
Marc Staal ($3.975m) / Daniel Girardi ($3.325m)
Ryan McDonagh ($1.300m) / Tomas Kaberle ($4.000m)
Michael Del Zotto ($1.087m) / Mike Sauer ($1.000m)
/ Tim Erixon ($1.750m)

GOALTENDERS
Henrik Lundqvist ($6.875m) / Martin Biron ($0.875m)

BUYOUTS: Chris Drury ($3.716m)

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $63,517,500; BONUSES: $2,337,500
CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $782,500

with a line up like this Ranger will be fun to watch again
top 5 team in league
Power play if we get ( Tomas Kaberle ) SICK ....
and yes ranger are trying to get tomas kaberle
will be a fun year for Ranger

sousuffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 01:38 PM
NYwRiter94

Quote:
Originally Posted by sousuffer View Post
Where is Avery?
Saving us cap space.

NYwRiter94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 01:59 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by we want cup View Post
I actually don't think those projections are far off, barring injury. Dubi and Cally both projected to 60 points, factoring in the time they missed. Stepan and AA were both close, and should see an uptick in production considering they'll be facing fewer top defense pairs, and will be part of a better PP. Gabby and Richards should both score plenty playing together if they can stay healthy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYwRiter94 View Post
Gaborik is one year removed from an 86 point season. Assuming he's even a little healthier than he was this year, who's to say he won't do that again, considering he now has a #1 Center?

Richards is an addition. Of course he didn't count towards our 50+ club last year.

If Cally and Dubi played all 82 last year, they would have had 56 and 58 points, respectively. They can't add a few more (especially if they get some time on the PP and with Gabby/Richards)?

Stepan and Anisimov are two extremely young players with tons of upside. To not expect a 5 point increase from each is ridiculous.

The Hurricanes had 5 50+, 2 60+ and 1 70+ last year, and a top 10 goaltender, and they didn't make the playoffs. Those point totals we're expecting aren't astronomical.
The Rangers play a VERY different system than the Canes. The Rangers play a tough hard, grinding forechecking game, and play outstanding team defense. Frankly last years team, imho, played better defense than ANY team during the Renney era. that type of game, coupled with the Rangers goaltender, and 6 guys scoring 50+ would be first in the conference imho.

I mean think about it, youre basically talking about adding something like 50 goals to last years total based on the points...even if you lose all of Boyles offense, its still like a net 30 goal increase. If anything you figure the Rangers will be BETTEr defensively this year, meaning youre talking about going from a 16th ranked offense to a top 3 offense, and youd figure the Rangers who already had the 5th best defense in the league can bump that up to top 3 by the sheer nature of having the puck more, and the teams being unable to take more offensive gambles against us.

top 3 offense + top 3 defense = top 3 team in the NHL. Im not sure i see 6 50+ point guys...but if we do, this will be EASILY the best post lockout season the Rangers will have had.

Old
07-02-2011, 02:00 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverfish View Post
I have the pleasure of watching Miller around 30 times a season, he is as elite as people believe he is, no doubt a top 5 goalie in the league.

Without him Buffalo falls apart and that's not something you can say about every team and their goalie.

That being said you're right, he's only getting older...but as far as his career numbers go they don't do him justice.

He's much better than that 2.57 career GAA says he is and his .915sv% is just .003 less than Hanks .918.

Also interesting to note that I know a lot of people in Buffalo who are fed up with Miller, but I'm 100% positive that was just shiny new toy syndrome when Enroth started getting good playing time.
When I think Ryan Miller, I think of the 2010 Olympics. When I think of the 2010 Olympics, I think of one of the greatest goaltending performances I have ever seen in my lifetime.

Ryan Miller is every bit the elite superstar he's billed to be.

Old
07-02-2011, 02:19 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by nils2317 View Post
Gaby 40/80
Richards 30/80
Cally & Dubie 30/60
Stepan & Anisimov 20/50

4/5th in Conference, and go to ECF

That's 170 goals from 6 players. Last season, the league leader in goals had 262 goals. If we truly get that much production from 6 players, we will win the President's Trophy unless Lundqvist collapses.

Last year we got 27 goals from our defense despite MDZ struggling. You have to figure our 4th line (Boyle, Rupp, Prust) plus replacement players (Christ, Avery, Feds) will score about 43 goals. So that's another 70 goals.

We would need only an additional 22 combined goals from Wolski, Hagelin and Zuccarello. More likely, they would score about 40 goals.

Combining all this, we are talking about 280 goals, which is 18 more than anyone last year. I doubt that it happens this year.

===================

With Step or AA shifted to the third line, they won't both score 20 goals. More like 35 total.

Instead of 70 goals from Brad and Gabby, look for 65.

And instead of 60 goals from Cally and Dubi, look for 50.

Wolski, Hagelin and Zuccarello get 40.

Boyle, Prust, Rupp and replacements get another 40.

Defense gets 25.

That's a total of 255 goals, good enough for top-5 last season, or 22 goals than we had the previous year.

If we could be top-5 in scoring and remain top-5 in goals against (which we were last season), we will be a Cup contender.

Beacon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 02:19 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
im thinking Richards nabs us 10 more points in the standings. so right around 5th in the east.

Yes, but only if he revives Gabby.

Old
07-02-2011, 02:26 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerEsq View Post
That's 170 goals from 6 players. Last season, the league leader in goals had 262 goals. If we truly get that much production from 6 players, we will win the President's Trophy unless Lundqvist collapses.

Last year we got 27 goals from our defense despite MDZ struggling. You have to figure our 4th line (Boyle, Rupp, Prust) plus replacement players (Christ, Avery, Feds) will score about 43 goals. So that's another 70 goals.

We would need only an additional 22 combined goals from Wolski, Hagelin and Zuccarello. More likely, they would score about 40 goals.

Combining all this, we are talking about 280 goals, which is 18 more than anyone last year. I doubt that it happens this year.

===================

With Step or AA shifted to the third line, they won't both score 20 goals. More like 35 total.

Instead of 70 goals from Brad and Gabby, look for 65.

And instead of 60 goals from Cally and Dubi, look for 50.

Wolski, Hagelin and Zuccarello get 40.

Boyle, Prust, Rupp and replacements get another 40.

Defense gets 25.

That's a total of 255 goals, good enough for top-5 last season, or 22 goals than we had the previous year.

If we could be top-5 in scoring and remain top-5 in goals against (which we were last season), we will be a Cup contender.
to me, any team in the top 5 of each conference has to be considered cup contenders.

but going to like top2 in each conference makes you a cup favorite.

thats what i want us to be, cup favorites.

GO GET ME 1 MORE OFFENSIVE WEAPON!!!!

Old
07-02-2011, 02:26 PM
racer90

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangerSince05 View Post
Now that we signed Richards what are your expectations?

4th-5th in eastern coference.
IF healthy Gabby nets 48-54
Richards gets 55+ assists around 90 points
Cally score 24-28 goals
Stepan reaches the level of elite getting over 75 points
Thomas scores 25-40 points
Hanke gets another 10 shutout year and venza nominee
everything i could easily see happening except for the bold

but if it did happen, we could be top 3 in the conference

racer90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 02:29 PM
Muh
Beadle

vCash: 50
I expect that we finally clinch playoffs before last day of season. And thats fine with me, once we get there anything can happen. But like many said, I see us being up there for the division, but ending in the 4-6 area.

Who are we expecting to be that first line winger, Wolski?

Muh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 02:45 PM
Ryan McDonut
McD for Captain

gaborik gets 50 and shuts everyone up. ill be happy with 80 points from richards.

Ryan McDonut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 02:46 PM
Provolone*

Gabby breaks 40+ goals
Richards puts together 28G 50A
Stepan, Dubi, 55+ pts
Anisimov, Cally hover around 50pts

Wolski will be the suck and i doubt Boyle breaks 20G again.

We'll be top 3 in the East in goals against and get the 4th or 5th seed. I doubt Philly makes the playoffs and the only way i can see us overtaking Pitt in the division is if Crosby or Malkin are out for an extended period of time.

TB will flounder a bit with Rolosen at the helm, i think his age will be a factor in his performance this season. And Boston will probably experience a bit of Stanley Cup hangover.

I also think Avery, in a contract year, will light a fire under his ass and he'll put up 10G 25A

Provolone* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 02:48 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Only Bieber View Post
everything i could easily see happening except for the bold

but if it did happen, we could be top 3 in the conference

If Step becomes an elite 75-point player and Brad gets Gabby back to his 40-goal form, the Rangers will likely win the Cup.

A team with three point per game players, lots of depth, a good blueline and a superstar goalie is a Cup favorite.