HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Never officially thanked a rival to this degree before...

Closed Thread

Old
09-10-2005, 01:27 AM
Gary

vCash: 500
Never officially thanked a rival to this degree before...

But was re-hashing "Non-skilled" Bruins memories that made me happy on the Bruins board. I had forgotten all about the Neely/Domi 'incident' until a poster reminded me. I'm not going to redo the list because I'm lazy, But with reguards to Domi and my admiration for him...In retrospect I should take off the list the Lapointe beating up Tucker/McCabe in the same year and replace it with the Domi encounter.

Here's what I typed on the B's forum, so that I don't have to retype it:

Wow. Forgot all about that. Have to edit my top 10 list now. I recall the events in great detail. I recall picking up the paper the night after the Leafs/Bruins played. It stated "During the warmup, Cam Neely and Tie Domi met at center ice. The crowd thought for sure something bad was about to happen but it looked like they were just 'sizing' one another up"

WRONG!...Next game Leafs played Domi cold-cocked Ulf and everyone and their dog understood what was being said the game before. Domi said "Hey look Cam, I'm going to put a smile on your face in the next couple days"

I too have loved Domi ever since. Funny that not too many people speak of this incident. I recall as well that SEVERAL NHL'ers offered to pay Domi's fine for the incident. This speaks SOOOO greatly of how highly reguarded the great CAM was around the league

GO CAM GO!! GO DOMI GO!!

Old
09-10-2005, 07:45 AM
Leaf Army

The reason Domi had to do it that way was because he knew if he actually dropped the gloves with Samuelsson, he would have either run away or turtled. That's the reputation Samuelsson developed for himself, so Domi had to make sure he didn't give Ulf a chance to get away.

Prior to Domi clocking him, Ulf was provoking him by saying "Come on dummy, fight me."

I still remember Harry Neale's call as Samuelsson lay on the ice, "1...2...3...4...5...6...7... he's not going to get up!"

Probably the only time I've taken a slight pleasure in seeing someone hurt. Only because Samuelsson is one of the few players I ever saw that went out to intentionally injure people.

Old
09-10-2005, 10:03 AM
Volcanologist
Habitual User

Samuelsson was a piece of ****. Like Marchment.

Old
09-10-2005, 12:24 PM
Verbal Kint*

Here's a quick account of what happened for those that didn't know (myself included)...

Quote:
In a memorable game against the Toronto Maple Leafs one evening, Samuelsson received some retributive justice when he found himself alone with Leafs winger Tie Domi beside the Leafs net. As Samuelsson, and the officials, watched the play turn up the ice, Domi furtively dropped his glove and sucker-punched Samuelsson, knocking him out.

Old
09-10-2005, 12:47 PM
Charge_Seven

One of my most vivid memories actually in terms of hockey.

I don't remember the game at all, I just remember that beautiful moment.

Old
09-10-2005, 12:55 PM
psod

that was classic ... anyone know where they may be a clip of the incident?

Old
09-10-2005, 01:25 PM
Epsilon
#TeamHolland

That hit was dirtier than anything Samuelsson ever did. Pretty typical of Domi though.

Also, Samuelsson on Neely is the most overrated dirty hit of all-time. There's a nastier knee-on-knee hit practically every month in the NHL these days. It's just that the guys who are getting hit don't have legs made of peanut brittle.

Closed Thread